PDA

View Full Version : BBEG Ideas/Suggestions

Parasyn
2011-04-19, 10:18 PM
In less than a week I will be DMing a game for my friends. I would appreciate some build suggestions for a BBEG that is stealthy, mysterious, intelligent, and mystical. They won't actually find evidence of his tampering for quite a few sessions. I have a few ideas myself, but I am interested in what the playground has to say. So far what I have him planned to be responsible for are.

Bribing a dragon and his tribe of hobgoblin minions.
Assassinating knowledgeable scribes, historians and wizards that know of the books/item pieces. (Either personally or with a minion).
Inciting revolutionary dissent against the ruling class in the lower/middle class.
Using his contacts within the neighbouring pirate kingdom to viciously raid a coastal province.
Sending ambassadors to various tribes of savage humanoids to try and form them into a serious threat.

Many of these happening at the same time. The purpose will be to disguise his true motive, stealing tomes (or pieces that have already been found) that very obscurely state the locations of a formidable magic item.

He should probably be somewhere between levels 7-11.

Runestar
2011-04-19, 11:32 PM
Raksashas come to mind as being stealthy manipulators. Advance them as necessary with class lvs?

Ajadea
2011-04-19, 11:35 PM
Beguiler 9 with a cohort (rogue 5/assassin 2?) seems like it would work. He can cast charm person on people to get them to be his 'contacts', use glibness to trick the dragon into believing that he's going to pay it, use Gather Information to learn the name of the scholar, use locate object to find said person, and sends the rogue in to kill that person. Get the rogue boots of teleportation that only function 2/day, worth 32,400 gp. Less if you specifically make it so only a stealth character can use them. Just enough to get in and out before anyone else is the wiser.

WinWin
2011-04-19, 11:36 PM
A Succubus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#succubus) or Incubus (male succubus).

The charm abilities it has make persuading people to do things fairly easy. It can teleport, change it's form and turn ethereal, so it can be fairly sneaky. Also, it is a demon, so sowing chaos should come naturally.

Comes in at CR 7. It has the skills to qualify for the Assassin prestige class, so you could probably increase it's CR by one for every assassin level you add.

Parasyn
2011-04-19, 11:42 PM
Beguiler 9 with a cohort (rogue 5/assassin 2?) seems like it would work. He can cast charm person on people to get them to be his 'contacts', use glibness to trick the dragon into believing that he's going to pay it, use Gather Information to learn the name of the scholar, use locate object to find said person, and sends the rogue in to kill that person. Get the rogue boots of teleportation that only function 2/day, worth 32,400 gp. Less if you specifically make it so only a stealth character can use them. Just enough to get in and out before anyone else is the wiser.

beguiler was the idea I had originally and is still likely to happen