PDA

View Full Version : New member asking for help.

Ninjapanda
2011-04-20, 07:51 AM
Hello! My name is Claes and I would love to get some help from the more knowledgable players regarding my character.

I'm a new member of this forum though I've been a lurker here for a few months. Been playing a wizard in a campaign that will reach mid epic levles... around lvl 30 I think. The thing is... I have never played a high level wizard, or caster for that matter before, and I have no idea what to do with him.

Last seassion we reached lvl 20 and at the moment my levels are the following:
Wizard 3/Human Paragon 3/Incantatrix 10/ Arch Mage 4.

I have thought about juist going incantatrix 11-20, but I'm sure there are some better options out there but I have no idea of what those might be. My main focus is crowd control and debuffing. I've read Treantmonkey's guide to playing God and taken alot of inspiration from that. I feel that Epic Incantatrix is a good choice due to full spell progression, a few feats and more sudden metamagic. But spell progression isn't allt that important when you've reached epic, right? and sudden metamagic is... well, with epic skillfocus I can do whatever I wan't with my spells anyways.

Regarding what books are allowed I would have to say pratically all 3.5 books and dragon magazines, but the GM does have a final say in whatever we choose. Sadly, 3.0 Kingdoms of Kalamar is not allowed =)

So in the vast jungle that is 3.5, what could make my wizard more of a good than he already has the potential to be (when I play him right that is ;p)?

#Edit 1# I'm not interested in any infinte loops or near pun-pun thingies. Just a few tips to make the character more fun to play =)
#Edit 2# removed embarrasing statement about banning schools =/

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 07:53 AM
Um... You can't ban Divination. It's not possible.

Ninjapanda
2011-04-20, 08:03 AM
@The-Mage-King: You are correct sir... I will withdraw my said prohibited school and henceforth my prohibited school will most likely be evocation (wow... I feel like such an idiot for not noticing that one before :/ )
Thanks for pointing that out!

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 08:16 AM
Anyway, for your progressiong, I'd suggest diversifing your build. Since you're epic, you can afford to take a level or two to pick up neat stuff.

I'd suggest Binder, to go Anima Mage for some kickin' sweet abilities, or Warblade, for Jade Pheonix Mage, for the same, but more melee oriented.

OldFart
2011-04-20, 10:00 AM
Spell progression doesn't go past level 20. Caster level is important at epic, but there's plenty of ways to boost that. As for what class to take, the answer is "whichever one gives you the most bonus feats." Epic feats are what really turn the Tier 1 classes up to 11.

Speaking of feats, if you take Epic Spellcasting and your DM allows custom spell design, it WILL break the campaign. But it probably won't be fun, even for someone who's playing an Incantatrix. Ignore Material Components, Spell Stowaway, Multispell (i.e. putting the action economy in a gimp suit), and Permanent Emanation are more fun ways for a primary caster to just get ridiculous. Try to schedule as many bonus feats as possible at or after level 27 – The combination of Incantatrix and stacking Improved Metamagic are just …well … hilarious.