PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed? Here's your cape

pendell
2011-04-20, 09:29 AM
Seen in the Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-orlando-unemployment-cape-20110415,0,6523849.story)

It may be hard getting a job in today's labor market, but Workforce Central Florida is prepared to give you a cape — a shiny, red cape.

At least while supplies last.

As part of a superhero theme, it has created a cartoon character named "Dr. Evil Unemployment" and spent more than $14,000 on 6,000 satiny superhero capes.

To win a cape, a contestant can become a Workforce Central Florida fan on Facebook, take a Facebook quiz — "What Superhero Are You?" — or have a photo taken with a foam cutout of Dr. Evil Unemployment.

Job seekers and employers who participate become eligible to win a $1,000 prize package, featuring gift cards from Visa, Barnes & Noble and the U.S. Postal Service. Job seekers can also win $125 worth of résumé paper. Only two prize packages will be given away.

My hat is off to whoever managed to persuade their boss to pay for all of this. That person has many, many ranks in Bluff that I will never attain.

I'm curious if there's anyone here who is currently unemployed who would actually wear such a cape or post a picture of themselves on Facebook with "Dr. Evil Unemployment".

And I'm curious how the devil the Onion can stay in business when the above is a real news story.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

LaZodiac
2011-04-20, 09:47 AM
If I lived in the States, I might try this out.

Additionaly, stories like this probably make the Onion happy. They are doing their job of injecting insanity into the world, which causes random fun stuff like this to happen.

Evil DM Mark3
2011-04-20, 09:52 AM
No. No America. Unemployed people want JOBS not CAPES. Those only have one letter the same!

Symmys
2011-04-20, 10:04 AM
No. No America. Unemployed people want JOBS not CAPES. Those only have one letter the same!

I agree with you on that. However, if the choice is being unemployed without a cape or unemployed with a cape, I am of the opinion that being unemployed with a cape is preferable.

polity4life
2011-04-20, 10:07 AM
Having a quality cape could be good résumé bait. Not everyone is proficient in cape utilization.

pendell
2011-04-20, 10:47 AM
Having a quality cape could be good résumé bait. Not everyone is proficient in cape utilization.

Yes. And if by chance livestock get loose, why, you're perfectly equipped to play matador and exhaust the beasties by waving your red cape in front of them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ravens_cry
2011-04-20, 10:49 AM
Yes. And if by chance livestock get loose, why, you're perfectly equipped to play matador and exhaust the beasties by waving your red cape in front of them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Plus, you won't have to worry about jobs ever again after that.:smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-20, 11:07 AM
Its an amazing motivator, really, to lower unemployment rates that make cities look so bad.
And, I mean, they're motivating employers to get involved, too, which is awesome.

Vonriel
2011-04-20, 11:28 AM
Not to mention that some employers may take this to mean that the people who participate are more serious about getting a job than those who don't. I know it looks silly on the outside, but have you ever read the HR horror stories that places like Reader's Digest like to spit out? :smalltongue:

SquirrelKing
2011-04-20, 03:04 PM
Not to mention that some employers may take this to mean that the people who participate are more serious about getting a job than those who don't. I know it looks silly on the outside, but have you ever read the HR horror stories that places like Reader's Digest like to spit out? :smalltongue:

Read them!? Heck, I've lived through some of 'em! (OK, so I don't have a high regard for HR :smalltongue:)

Orzel
2011-04-20, 07:38 PM
I'm glad I'm employed.

Because if I wasn't, I'd do this and someone would mug me Law and Order style for my cape.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-04-20, 07:54 PM
Do you remember ThunderHead? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8)

No capes!

I will, however, accept a golden lasso and bullet-deflecting bracelets. :smallcool:

SquirrelKing
2011-04-21, 07:52 PM
MBiz, for a moment, I thought the mug in your avatar said "No 2 Flinger." Which would've rocked :smallbiggrin:

Though, the picture does remind me of a few people in my office!

grimbold
2011-04-22, 10:19 AM
this
is
totally
awesome

if i were unemployed i would do this

Tyndmyr
2011-04-22, 02:27 PM

I'm with you. I don't really see what this is supposed to accomplish.

I don't want a cape that proclaims unemployment...and wouldn't if I were unemployed.

2011-04-22, 04:52 PM
Capes are really really hard to wear properly, especially a color like red. anyone who can do it well is clearly qualified for a wide range of positions.

Traab
2011-04-22, 05:46 PM
I like the idea behind it. But id have to say, speaking as an unemployed person, i would prefer supermarket gift cards, prepaid gas cards, and other such things to barnes and nobles. This coming from a voracious reader. Id rather have food so I dont starve and gas so I can drive to job interviews.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-23, 10:13 PM
...Excuse me, but I need to check this out.

My thanks for informing me of this.

EDIT: N/M. Checking, they withdrew it.

On the 20th.

I has sad.

Lyleachu
2011-04-24, 09:50 AM
o.o doesn't anyone ever listen to costume designers? these unemployed cape wearers will now be 5% more likely to be sucked into a turbine engine while zipping around looking for jobs.

Nibleswick
2011-04-25, 02:01 AM
o.o doesn't anyone ever listen to costume designers? these unemployed cape wearers will now be 5% more likely to be sucked into a turbine engine while zipping around looking for jobs.

Well, that will lower unemployment.:smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2011-04-25, 06:56 AM
I like the idea behind it. But id have to say, speaking as an unemployed person, i would prefer supermarket gift cards, prepaid gas cards, and other such things to barnes and nobles. This coming from a voracious reader. Id rather have food so I dont starve and gas so I can drive to job interviews.
Libraries are pretty good, though reading series can be difficult as either a) some aren't in when you want, or b) they just don't have it. Still, free books. FREE. BOOKS. Sure, you have to give them back, but it's all free.
How awesome is that?

Lyleachu
2011-04-25, 08:29 AM
Well, that will lower unemployment.:smallwink:

:smalleek: Damn, so that's their true intentions! the cape... it's a trap!