PDA

View Full Version : players with lava

faceroll
2011-04-20, 11:46 AM
If my players were to get their hands on some shrink item'd lava, what's the worst that could happen?

Looking for imaginative solutions to typical problems where a judicious application of magma.

Yora
2011-04-20, 12:02 PM
Since the sourface would be significantly reduced, it should cool of much slower than normal.
Which still leaves open the means of transporting that stuff.

faceroll
2011-04-20, 12:05 PM
Using shrink item on fire (and presumably acid and lava) turns it into cloth for 1day/level.

Seonor
2011-04-20, 12:10 PM
From your perspective: They drop it on the BBEG or toss the ring of doom in it without the need to go to the vulcano. Instantly block any door/street until it cools down. If an enemy has an antimagic field up, drop it on them. Heat something large (iceberg). Drop in ocean/sea for instant steam which can be quiet damaging for everything caught in it.

From theirs: The lava cools down to rock after a few days (the spell description mentions burning fire with fuel, not just the fire itself as shrinkable), alternativly a antimagic field or dispel magic can be quite fun for the character that carries it.

Darrin
2011-04-20, 12:15 PM
If my players were to get their hands on some shrink item'd lava, what's the worst that could happen?

If they can figure out how to submerge someone in it, 20d6 fire damage, and 10d6 lingering fire damage for 1 round after they get out of it.

Looking for imaginative solutions to typical problems where a judicious application of magma.

You can create pools of lava with Marvelous Pigments, but it takes at least 10 minutes to paint.

Transmute rock to lava (Spell Compendium) has some details on how you might use it.

Lava missile (Serpent Kingdoms) is kinda fun... autohits like magic missile, although there's a Ref save for half.

Raise volcano (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a) can be a fairly impressive little parlour trick.

Alleran
2011-04-20, 06:34 PM
Raise volcano (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a) can be a fairly impressive little parlour trick.
Okay, now I want to figure out a way to get that spell onto either the Sorc/Wiz or Cleric spell list. There's got to be a means of doing it...

NNescio
2011-04-20, 07:13 PM

As long as dwarves aren't involved... (http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-18/)

Okay, now I want to figure out a way to get that spell onto either the Sorc/Wiz or Cleric spell list. There's got to be a means of doing it...

It'll probably involve a Diviner/Enchanter, a Necromancer, an earth-focused Transmuter, and judicious application of the Telepathic Bond spell.

holywhippet
2011-04-20, 10:40 PM
The only problem with trying to use lava in D&D (IIRC) is that any amount of heat immunity or resistance makes you immune to the damaging effects of lava from heat.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-20, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping that's sarcasm. Fire Resistance 1 doesn't actually make you immune to lava; it's a typo.

If that is sarcasm, it went completely over my head.

holywhippet
2011-04-20, 11:32 PM
I'm hoping that's sarcasm. Fire Resistance 1 doesn't actually make you immune to lava; it's a typo.

If that is sarcasm, it went completely over my head.

An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava.

It's in the SRD hence it's the rule. If it was a typo they would have corrected it by now.

Yes I do realise how stupid a rule it is.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-20, 11:45 PM
It should read "An immunity or resistance to fire provides an equal amount of immunity or resistance to lava".

holywhippet
2011-04-20, 11:48 PM
It should read "An immunity or resistance to fire provides an equal amount of immunity or resistance to lava".

Yes I know that, but it doesn't. RAW is RAW, it's been this way since 3.0 though so you'd think if it was an error it would have been fixed.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-21, 12:10 AM
So, whips deal 1d33 damage?

RAW is RAW, after all.

holywhippet
2011-04-21, 12:15 AM
So, whips deal 1d33 damage?

RAW is RAW, after all.

That got errata'd though - the SRD lists the correct values. But the rules for lava and fire resistance are still the same on the SRD.

Of course, the really funny thing is that the last 3 in the whip damage is meant to be for the sub-note which indicates that it does non-lethal damage. So by fouling it up they actually made it do real damage and more of it.