PDA

View Full Version : Vrylokas (4e to 3.5 conversion, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-04-20, 05:20 PM
This race originally appeared in Heroes of Shadow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Vryloka
The Vryloka were originally humans, a ruling caste of a long lost civilization. It is said that long ago, in a forest surrounded in perpetual mist, there was a small kingdom ruled by fear. The cruel leaders, obsessed with the dark arts and the wish for eternal life, made a deal with a mysterious figure. This creature, appearing as a red-clad woman, made them an offer; by giving her the entirety of their fortune, she would imbue them with the taint of undeath.

Foolishly, they agreed, no questions asked. They soon found themselves in a bitter position. Over time, food lost its delicious quality, and the ruling family became wracked with a new desire: a desire for the blood of their serfs. The creature, forever known afterwards as the Red Witch, had made them living vampires. As time went on, rebellion occurred, and the rulers were chased out of their homes. Those who didn’t escape quickly enough were burned at the stake because of their disturbing new nature. To add insult to injury, they discovered the Red Witch had tricked them out of their riches. She had not given them immortality, but rather a lifespan that extended to about two hundred years. These humans, plagued by their bestial nature and disgraced family history, became known as the Vrylokas.

Personality: Vrylokas are very passionate individuals. Whether this is because of their noble blood or undeathly curse is unknown. Vrylokas are fully capable of extreme love and rage, sometimes simultaneously. Even the fickle gnomes and elves can find the extent of how quickly the Vrylokas alternate between emotions unsettling. When a Vryloka makes a decision, he throws himself at it completely. This could be because that the oldest of them remember what it is like to be human, and they wish to make the most of their extended lifespan.

Physical Traits: Vrylokas, once human, look a lot like their forbearers. Vrylokas have dark eyes, usually gray or black, that glow red when angered. Their skin is usually pale, ranging from a light pink to a chalky white. Their hair is usually red (an after effect of their deal with the Red Witch), which ranges from a fiery orange to strawberry blonde. The canine teeth of a Vryloka are much more pronounced than those of other humans, and they can extend them to nearly the length of those of a vampire. Vrylokas like elegant clothing, like multilayered cloaks and shining heavy plate embroidered with red gemstones. Vrylokas are mortal, but there is no physical aging process.

Relations: Vrylokas do not truly get along with other races; for the most part, they pretend to be human in order to avoid persecution. Although their kingdom is long destroyed, they still hold positions of power in other nations; they have intermarried with local royalties and became nobles of their own. Those who know their true nature usually attempt to kill them.

Alignment: Vrylokas tend to have alignments on the extreme ends of the alignment scale. They are very passionate, and fully devote themselves to causes and personal beliefs. Most tend toward evil because of their appetites, but some learn to slake their thirst on animal blood instead.

Vryloka Lands: Vrylokas no longer have a land of their own. Their kingdom was thrown into chaos and fell into ruin long ago. Now, they have fully integrated into human civilizations, mostly as rulers, but occasionally as powerful criminals as well.

Religion: Vrylokas worship the Red Witch, both out of fear and gratitude. It is said by a hushed few that their agreement to worship the Red Witch was part of the original pact. The Red Witch herself seems to be a neutral outsider, whose domains are death, trickery, and healing.

Names: Vrylokas tend to have human names.

Languages: Vrylokas speak common, and may learn any language humans are capable of learning.

Adventurers: Many Vrylokas become adventurers, usually as a way to give their extended lives meaning. For the most part, Vrylokas rarely get along with others, but the bonds formed between fellow adventurers are usually a rare exception (even if they do not share their true nature with their new allies).

Vryloka Racial Traits
• -2 Wisdom,+2 Charisma
• Medium Humanoid (Deadborn): Vryloka are humans willingly cursed with the powers of the undead, and have the Deadborn subtype. As medium creatures, Vrylokas have no penalties or bonuses due to their size.
• Base Speed 30 ft.
• Darkvision out to 60 ft.
• Blood Drain (Ex): A Vryloka can drain blood from its foe by making a successful grapple check. By pinning its opponent, the Vryloka drains blood, dealing 1 point of Constitution damage. This grants the Vryloka 1 Temporary Hit Point per level (to a maximum of 5 at 5th).
• Alternate Form (Su): Once per day, a Vryloka can assume the form of a wolf. A Vryloka can stay in this form for a number of hours equal to their HD. This ability works just like a Druid's wildshape ability, except the Vrylokas do not regain hit points as though they had a full night's rest.
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarven, Goblin, Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Shadowcaster.
• Level Adjustment: +0

Deadborn Subtype (by Jarrick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173003), thanks for allowing me to utilize it).

Creatures with the deadborn subtype detect as Undead in addition to their normal type when subject to divination spells and effects, though they retain their original type.

Deadborn are treated as intelligent Undead creatures for the sake of spells and effects that specifically target or effect Undead. Spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to the Deadborn. Likewise, deadborn take only half damage from spells and effects that utilize negative energy to deal damage.

+2 bonus on Saves Vs. Mind-Effecting effects, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Stunning, Disease, and Death Effects.

Dark Vision 60 ft.

If the Deadborn is in the area of a turn or rebuke attempt and would be effected if it were an undead creature of its HD, it is instead Dazed for one round. A Deadborn effected in this way does not count against HD affected for the purposes of the Cleric’s turn or rebuke attempt. While within the area of a Desecrate spell or effect, the Deadborn gains a +1 profane bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. Likewise when it is within the area of a Consecrate spell it takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

LOTRfan
2011-04-20, 09:49 PM
It has occurred to me that the ability to transform into a dog can be powerful. The only race I can think of that can also do this are the Tibbits. Who does the Tibbit's racial feature compare to the Vryloka's?

vasharanpaladin
2011-04-20, 10:24 PM
Half-vampire. Done. :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2011-04-20, 10:26 PM
Half-vampire. Done. :smallwink:

There's a couple of differences! Like.... well... yeah, okay, they're pretty much Half-Vampires.... :smalltongue:

Mayhem
2011-04-22, 05:03 AM
The hengeyokai can also turn into animals and hybrids, they're LA+1 in 3.0.

Is being able to turn into a dog that good? It gives you a perfect random disguise, and.... speed? Seriously, there isn't much in this race to warrant a LA+1. Maybe you should just ditch one of the ability pluses, add the stipulation alternate form doesn't change your HP, and call it LA+0.

This is a good race as usual LOTRfan :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2011-04-22, 08:37 AM
I forgot about the Hengeyokai. If I remember correctly, the 3.5e conversion even reduced their LA to +0. I'll add that in, now. Its still not too powerful, even with the resistances and blood drain? I think I'll get rid of the bonus to Dex, because (to my knowledge) there are no LA +0 races that give a charisma bonus.

NosferatuZodd
2011-04-22, 09:21 AM
Nice conversion. Hopefully someone might convert the Heroes of Shadow vampire class to 3.5 now.

Sydonai
2011-04-22, 09:32 AM
Able to be turned, affected by spells as if undead without the advantages of the Undead type, and half effect from healing spells.....these guys are really weak due to being Deadborn, and they make up for it with.....turning into a dog?

LOTRfan
2011-04-22, 09:48 AM
Technically, they cannot be turned, just dazed for a round. They also get blood drain, resistances to everything actual undead are immune to, and only take half damage from negative energy-charged spells (granted, that is also negated with the half healing from spells of the healing subschool).

Sydonai
2011-04-22, 10:22 AM
"Deadborn are treated as intelligent Undead creatures for the sake of spells and effects that specifically target or effect Undead."

"Undeath to Death", "Command Undead", and they are still effected by things like level-drain.

Mayhem
2011-04-22, 04:29 PM
I forgot about the Hengeyokai. If I remember correctly, the 3.5e conversion even reduced their LA to +0. I'll add that in, now. Its still not too powerful, even with the resistances and blood drain? I think I'll get rid of the bonus to Dex, because (to my knowledge) there are no LA +0 races that give a charisma bonus.
The hengeyokai are stronger too, they get a hybrid from, no time limit, and many of their animal forms are small. The sparrow has 20ft flight in hybrid form and 50ft flight with tiny size in animal form, so not all of them are worth the LA+0 like your race is.

Your blood drain is only damage unlike the vampire's actual drain, so your PCs son't rage out if they get drained down low and have no money for restoration, and it's only usable while grappling. Also, how long do these temp. HPs last? 1 hour?

The resistances aren't very strong, and they have a multitude of effects that cause dazed condition on them, so I think it's fair.

Dexterity is worth( supposedly) double the amount of mental ability scores, so yeah that's a good idea.

As medium creatures, Vrylokas have no penalties areor bonuses dodue to their size.
Fixed that for you :smallwink:

Yeah, I would say this is LA+0 nicely. It's on the dm's iffy side, but all interesting races are, aren't they?

LOTRfan
2011-04-22, 04:47 PM
The hengeyokai are stronger too, they get a hybrid from, no time limit, and many of their animal forms are small. The sparrow has 20ft flight in hybrid form and 50ft flight with tiny size in animal form, so not all of them are worth the LA+0 like your race is.

Do you think I should get rid of the time limit, then?

Your blood drain is only damage unlike the vampire's actual drain, so your PCs son't rage out if they get drained down low and have no money for restoration, and it's only usable while grappling. Also, how long do these temp. HPs last? 1 hour?

I was thinking they would actually be healed when they drain blood, and they become temporary hit points that last for an hour if the Vryloka is already at full hit points. Is this too much?

The resistances aren't very strong, and they have a multitude of effects that cause dazed condition on them, so I think it's fair.

Fair enough, though Sydonai brings up a good point with the vulnerabilities.

Dexterity is worth( supposedly) double the amount of mental ability scores, so yeah that's a good idea.

Alright, already done.

Fixed that for you :smallwink:

.. And that is why you should never type this stuff up after one o'clock in the morning. :smallsigh:

Yeah, I would say this is LA+0 nicely. It's on the dm's iffy side, but all interesting races are, aren't they?

Thank you. :smallsmile:

Mayhem
2011-04-22, 05:07 PM
Well the hengeyokai can only make 1 transformation, and they get 1 per level, so a level 1 hengeyokai will be trapped in the last form he assumes for the rest of the day( actually, until he takes another). So, I think you're already good on that front.

Also, do they gain the physical stats of the dog?

LOTRfan
2011-04-22, 05:17 PM

Yes, this ability functions identically to the Druid's wildshape class feature (except they do not regain hit points as though they had a night's rest). I'll make that more clear.

Sydonai
2011-04-22, 06:42 PM
Well the hengeyokai can only make 1 transformation, and they get 1 per level, so a level 1 hengeyokai will be trapped in the last form he assumes for the rest of the day( actually, until he takes another). So, I think you're already good on that front.

Hengeyokai can change shape 1+level/day, so a Hengeyokai(Sparrow)1 could change to animal form to escape a fight, then into human form when they got to a town.

stainboy
2011-04-22, 09:46 PM
• Alternate Form (Su): Once per day, a Vryloka can assume the form of a small dog. A Vryloka can stay in this form for a number of hours equal to their HD. Vrylokas do not regain all their hit points by alternating between shapes.

Alternate Form: A small dog? Wolves are medium. Corgis are small dogs.

You might make wolf form available through a feat, or just let it be overpowered. You don't want to make it a balanced racial ability because then you have vrykola turning into corgis. You don't want to make it good and give it an EL, because then your race only appeals to low-op builds that need a poor man's wild shape.

For what it's worth, I would have no problem with an EL 0 race turning into a proper wolf. It won't be too useful for a character not built around it, and it's still worse than shapechanging via wildshape or wizard spells.

Blood Drain: Looks good in general, but you might clean up the language a bit. To use Blood Drain, do I do use the Pin special attack against an opponent, or do I make a grapple check against an opponent who is already pinned?

LOTRfan
2011-04-22, 11:30 PM
Alternate Form: A small dog? Wolves are medium. Corgis are small dogs.

You might make wolf form available through a feat, or just let it be overpowered. You don't want to make it a balanced racial ability because then you have vrykola turning into corgis. You don't want to make it good and give it an EL, because then your race only appeals to low-op builds that need a poor man's wild shape.

For what it's worth, I would have no problem with an EL 0 race turning into a proper wolf. It won't be too useful for a character not built around it, and it's still worse than shapechanging via wildshape or wizard spells.

Technically, since Corgis grow to an average maximum height of 12.5 inches, they would be Tiny dogs. Argentinian Mastiffs would be the dog I'd think of when it comes dogs that are small-sized, being around 2 ft. tall.

Still, I see your point. I shall change it to a wolf.

Blood Drain: Looks good in general, but you might clean up the language a bit. To use Blood Drain, do I do use the Pin special attack against an opponent, or do I make a grapple check against an opponent who is already pinned?

I used the exact wording as the vampire entry in the srd. You need to pin down an opponent.

stainboy
2011-04-23, 12:51 AM
I used the exact wording as the vampire entry in the srd. You need to pin down an opponent.

So you did. *sigh* Yeah, in that case it makes sense to be consistent, even if the RAW is ambiguous.

Lyndworm
2011-04-23, 03:26 AM
Technically, since Corgis grow to an average maximum height of 12.5 inches, they would be Tiny dogs. Argentinian Mastiffs would be the dog I'd think of when it comes dogs that are small-sized, being around 2 ft. tall.
Quadrupeds aren't measured in height, they're measured in length. A quadruped 2ft tall is almost certainly Medium sized, as would be anything over 4ft long. Corgis are on the border of Tiny and Small in physical size, but they're very stocky so they're probably Small.

Mayhem
2011-04-23, 06:03 AM
Yeah 2ft tall is pretty large in dog terms, that's slightly more than the average german shepherd, and I wouldn't call them small. They're in the mid-range size of wolves, which puts them( and presumably Argentinian Mastiffs) solidly into medium size.

LOTRfan
2011-04-23, 03:33 PM
Alright, I fixed the wording and changed it to wolf-form instead of that of a small dog. Any other problems that need fixing?

Lyndworm
2011-04-24, 01:51 AM
It looks good to me. I rather like them.