PDA

View Full Version : Games you think should have remakes

Daverin
2011-04-20, 05:23 PM
Well, I think the title expresses the gist; what games do you think should get a remake, for whatever reason?

The biggest one that pops to my mind is Aidyn Chronicles, from the N64. Talking about a cult classic, this game had some choppy graphics (even for the N64, or so I thought), what probably were missing features, some bugs (including ones that actually gave an N64 equivalent of a BSoD), and a poor delivery of the lore and fluff. And yet, some people, such as myself, still love it to death. It had a true "rpg adventure" feel to it that many other games seem to lack. It had a fairly in depth storyline, even if not all that groundbreaking, the treasure was always awesome to find, the characters all had distinct personalities (but they all probably could have had more personality at the same time...) and the lore and fluff, when you could find it, was pretty enjoyable to read and discover. Plus, it had truenaming magic, which is instant win points in my book.

Basically, if someone could remake it to fix all of the execution and delivery, I see an awesome game to be had. So, does anyone else have a game they think deserves a second chance?

Zen Monkey
2011-04-20, 05:37 PM
Planescape: Torment - New graphics and engine, exact same voice work and music.

X-Com - Great game. A little new polish could bring it to new players.

Silent Hill 2 - Update the graphics, and switch the camera to over-the-shoulder as in Resident Evil 4 so that you can really see the town from inside.

Daverin
2011-04-20, 05:47 PM
Admittedly, I was thinking of games that were first not too successful, but had potential. Planescape, on the other hand, at least as I understand it and have heard from others, is win to the winth degree. :smallwink:

Maxios
2011-04-20, 05:51 PM
They are making a new X-Com game, y'know. It's a FPS, from what I've heard

Iskandar
2011-04-20, 06:03 PM
They are making a new X-Com game, y'know. It's a FPS, from what I've heard

I wish, I REALLY, REALLY wish that they would quit doing that to classic games. "Hey x was a great turn based game. I know, let's remake it in a genre that has NOTHING to do with the original game."

Abemad
2011-04-20, 06:08 PM
I wish, I REALLY, REALLY wish that they would quit doing that to classic games. "Hey x was a great turn based game. I know, let's remake it in a genre that has NOTHING to do with the original game."

And we all know c&c renegade was such a great game... :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-20, 06:09 PM
Jade Empire. Then they should also have a sequel or prequel or something.

And no dissing Renegade! I spent weeks on that thing. Laser gatling guns in particular are incredibly fun.

Traab
2011-04-20, 06:18 PM
I want another classic final fantasy game. None of this costume changing upgrade sphere crap thats all glitz and no go. Give me another ff6/7. If not that then at least give me a 9! Zidane was pretty cool. I dont want to see another 8, and squall and his cronies can go shove a blitz ball someplace dark and smelly!

Comet
2011-04-20, 06:38 PM
Give me another ff6/7.

A remake of Final Fantasy 6 would be just about the best thing ever, for sure. 7 would be grand too, but a bit less so than 6.

My vote goes for Transarctica. The game itself is old and simple and pretty one-note, but the idea of a strategic game where you guide an armoured train across a glacier ruled by evil railroad companies, who are trying to stop you from bringing the sun back to the world, is pretty high up there on the coolness gauge.

littlebottom
2011-04-20, 06:43 PM
2 things. both of which would have to be identical to the original in as many ways as is possible

FF7: exactly the same except updated, better graphics, voice overs, etc etc.

Dungeon keeper: now there is some room for lenience here, because i wouldnt care if they chucked all the old levels out and made new ones, so long as it was actually dungeon keeper, all i want is to build traps and slap my lazy imps to work harder HARDER I SAY!

Thanatos 51-50
2011-04-20, 06:46 PM

This. This. A thousand times this.

(Also, a good, true X-Com re-make.)

Eldonauran
2011-04-20, 06:52 PM
I'm on board for FF6 or FF7 remake. I'd pay double for THAT game.

Ogremindes
2011-04-20, 06:54 PM
Why FF6? FF7 needs it, but 6 looks and plays great.

Comet
2011-04-20, 06:59 PM
Why FF6? FF7 needs it, but 6 looks and plays great.

I just think 6 could really benefit from voice acting. Adds to the drama of it all. Plus, you know, Opera scene fully voiced. My face would melt.

Traab
2011-04-20, 07:30 PM
I didnt mean a remake of them, I meant a ff game in that STYLE. FF6 especially since that was back when it was all about the gameplay and not the graphics. It had a killer story, awesome and unique characters, and lots of interesting puzzles and unique mobs. I never much liked the job class thing where you have to level up the jobs, and choose which group makeup is best for each area. Just give me my cyan, edgar, sabin, and gogo then gtfo of my way!

Daverin
2011-04-20, 07:33 PM
Oh, if we want to expand to games made like older games, then Might and Magic surges to the top of my list. I'd love a might and magic with as much challenge and that old charm as before, but with much more beautiful environments and perhaps more complex class designs.

elpollo
2011-04-20, 07:43 PM
As is always my answer, Arcanum. By the gods, if someone would just fix the engine for it it would be my favourite game ever.

Roland St. Jude
2011-04-20, 07:47 PM
I agree with Arcanum. Also Dune. And I'd be so happy if they'd remake (or make a sequel to) Vampire:The Masquerade Redemption & Bloodlines.

smuchmuch
2011-04-20, 07:55 PM
Sacrifice.

With somme mandatory debugging, a new graphic engine (doesn't have to be cutting edge, just better than the weird blocky thing it had) but no matter what the general design, writting and voice acting kept intact.

(if only they could make a sequel, that's be soemthing i'd look forward toowith an evil genius 2. But sadly will very likely never happen seeing as the respective studio are both sunk)

I definitively wouldn't mind somme remake (and/or continuation) of the 'No One lives forever' and 'Thief 'series too.

As is always my answer, Arcanum. By the gods, if someone would just fix the engine for it it would be my favourite game ever.

Arcanum could do with a little more gameplay polishing and debugging as well.

Triaxx
2011-04-20, 08:17 PM
Were you playing Aidyn with, or without the Expansion pack? It's really bad without it, but thoroughly mitigated by having it.

Leecros
2011-04-20, 08:30 PM
Dungeon keeper: now there is some room for lenience here, because i wouldnt care if they chucked all the old levels out and made new ones, so long as it was actually dungeon keeper, all i want is to build traps and slap my lazy imps to work harder HARDER I SAY!

I've heard good things about Dungeons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhOBVg2awB0)...I've heard bad things too, but you get that with every game.

hmm, games that i would like to see remade huh?

Lords of Magic stands out as a good one, it's a rather under appreciated game, but i really enjoyed it and if it had better graphics it would probably do all right.

Another would be Descent. I thought that was a brilliant game, if you don't mind some motion sickness, and with today's graphics it would be another game that would just work beautifully.

Sim Copter was another one. I enjoyed that game quite a bit and there isn't really any good helicopter games like that anymore.

Daverin
2011-04-20, 09:10 PM
Were you playing Aidyn with, or without the Expansion pack? It's really bad without it, but thoroughly mitigated by having it.

I am pretty sure I wasn't even able to play without it (which also means yes). I never would call it "really bad" by any means, but if it could be updated with a better engine, I could only imagine how amazing some of the areas could be (imagining a graphically impressive Shamsuk's tower is enough to make me want to start a company and do it myself...)

EDIT:

Lords of Magic stands out as a good one, it's a rather under appreciated game, but i really enjoyed it and if it had better graphics it would probably do all right. Honestly, I don't even think that game needs a graphic update to do "all right." I think it is pretty damn awesome as is! :P

At worst, it could use some rebalancing and more variety between groups, which it so happens there is an amazing mod that does just that from someone named ManTera (may have misplaced capitals).Overall though, I think it was just a good game.

Zevox
2011-04-20, 09:15 PM
Knights of the Old Republic 2. Because it was released basically incomplete, and I'd like to see what it would be like completed.

Fire Emblem 4-6, since they were never released outside Japan. (Assuming they'd get released outside Japan. I'm beginning to wonder about that given the lack of news on any such release for the remake of 3.)

NiGHTs into Dreams. Because supposedly it was one of the gems of the Dreamcast, which I never had, and the sequel on the Wii was only okay.

Zevox

Iskandar
2011-04-20, 09:18 PM
Missionforce: Cyberstorm

Turn based mecha combat at its finest. Would love to see another game of this type, but it is doubtful in this day and age of RTS everything.

Eldariel
2011-04-20, 09:26 PM
My short list:
- I-War (Independence War): One of the best space simulators ever, and one that got like no love. It needs to be remade, especially with the stupid death of the genre.
- Tie Fighter: If that series came back to its roots (technically X-Wing, I guess) with a new game, I'd be in heaven.
- Homeworld: Best attempt at 3-dimensional Space RTS ever, it very nearly got there. This game series has promise; only 2 failed so they should try again.
- Masters of Magic: Yeah, there are similar types of TBSs out there much newer (Age of Wonders, Fall from Heaven and what have you) but none have the same simple, awesome concept of Civilization With You As A Wizard In the Capitol Casting Spells On Battlefield And Overworld And Summoning Monsters. I'd love if it added a Civilization-type tech tree (different for different races) adjacent to the spell research, though. Still, all I really want is a less buggy version with a built-in multiplayer and a somewhat reasonable AI. Just a modern remake.
- UFO: Enemy Unknown: Let's face it, the series just hasn't been the same since the original and they've been making fails (Terror from the Deep), messes (Apocalypse; awesome game under there somewhere but messed up so many things...), stupid spinoffs like Interceptor and Alliance and that's about it. A good sequel would be godlike.
- Jagged Alliance: I've been hearing about JA3 for about a decade now. Do want. Best game series ever. Add more depth to stuff like uneven terrain (2-layer world with one layer being "roofs" is kinda simplistic) and life is perfect.
- Planescape: Torment: Already mentioned. It really deserves it; best game ever but the interface and all that was kinda meh. Hell, I'd settle for anything in Planescape with any rules set pre-4e.
- Netstorm: I'm a sucker. Blame me. I loved the game and want a sequel.

I could get behind others in this thread; Arcanum, FF6 (in general, oldschool Final Fantasy-style, not "Pixar can suck it" FF), Dungeon Keeper, tons of awesome oldies that really deserve some love.

Martok
2011-04-20, 10:00 PM
Emperor of the Fading Suns -- would love to be able to play this with better AI and modern graphics.

Geno9999
2011-04-20, 11:23 PM
I would be interested in the Mega Man & Mega Man X remake... If they were for the DS instead of the PSP.:smallfrown:
I mean, come on! Updated levels and bosses and a custom level maker? Yes plz:smallbiggrin:

fizzmaister
2011-04-21, 12:43 AM
I would be interested in the Mega Man & Mega Man X remake... If they were for the DS instead of the PSP.:smallfrown:
I mean, come on! Updated levels and bosses and a custom level maker? Yes plz:smallbiggrin:

I second that sentiment. Remakes of the mega man series on DS would be glorious. Also, Metroid II: Return of Samus really needs an update. They could pack it as a 3 in 1, or a 4 in one, cart. Zero Mission, Fusion, Metrioid II remake, and maybe Super Metroid, all on one DS cart.

psilontech
2011-04-21, 01:05 AM
None.

Unless they're ONLY upgrading the graphics (Keeping to the original style) and fix non-amusing glitches. Then it's okay.

Case in point: Every remake I've ever encountered. They nearly all piss me off.

"What did you do to my childhood!? NO! **** you!"

factotum
2011-04-21, 01:45 AM
I'd go with Arcanum, definitely...pity Troika went the way of all flesh some time ago.

What's with the asking for a Jade Empire remake, though? While it was admittedly an awesome game, it only came out in 2005--have graphics techniques advanced so much that it would actually be worth remaking a game that recent? :smallconfused:

Eldan
2011-04-21, 02:36 AM
Morrowind? They wouldn't have to change much, and much is covered by mods already, but a more balanced and flexible skill system, slightly more interesting magic (come on, Midas showed it could be done!) and perhaps even an actual fighting system would be quite nice.

Also, seconding Torment. I want to actually see more of the Planes than just the greyish-brown ground of hell.

The Succubus
2011-04-21, 05:26 AM
Two words: Multiplayer Syndicate.

Deadly
2011-04-21, 07:40 AM
Baldur's Gate 2. New graphics, full voice acting (same actors!), new rules system (no silly racial restrictions on classes and such), improved conversation system where your character's stats and such actually make a difference... but otherwise exactly the same game.

I'd pay for that.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 07:55 AM
Maybe not a remake, but definitely a sequel: Republic Commando. I WANT to go rampaging inside the Jedi Temple, damnit! :smallfurious:

Otherwise, Sacrifice was solid, and deserves a remake. I really liked Lord of Magic, but I overhyped myself about it, and it came out as.. disapointing. Too clumsy, not ennough diversity beyond "bring army, use army".

It would be nice if they ever make Supreme Commander 2. 'cause what they tried to pass it as had nothing to do with the 1st, brillant game.

Star Wars Rebellion was awesome. It's probably one of the best layered strategy game I've seen in my life. Getting to appreciate the Black Ops layer of this game really, really, really improved my gameplay experience, and I am sure it would be nice to have something like this happen again.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-21, 08:24 AM
What's with the asking for a Jade Empire remake, though? While it was admittedly an awesome game, it only came out in 2005--have graphics techniques advanced so much that it would actually be worth remaking a game that recent? :smallconfused:

It's not so much the graphics I want redone as it is the combat system. I have in mind a Rocksteady-Bioware team-up where all the action parts are done by Rocksteady in the style of Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Triaxx
2011-04-21, 08:34 AM
Yeah, you could play without it, but it wasn't really much fun. And the graphics are what I called really bad without it. Otherwise it was still awesome. The idea that Alaron's hair could put your eye out without the expansion pack was totally true.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-21, 08:58 AM
Anachronox.

It was the last game Ion Storm developed before going belly up.

Actually, WHILE going belly up. A large portion of the team had already been let go before the production was over but kept coming back to work, for free, to finish it. It has a great story, really interesting characters, and some of the best humor I've ever experienced in a game.

It also has some of the most awful glitches I've ever seen, constantly crashes to desktop (Even if you play it in an operating system it was meant for), and ends on a gigantic twist/cliffhanger that will NEVER be resolved.

Murdim
2011-04-21, 09:02 AM
Final Fantasy VII is a game I think should by no means have a remake... but which will get one anyway. I do not want to hear (well, play) the story of Stoic Emo Cloud leading Useless Cheerleader Tifa and the rest of his team of fully dispensable sidekicks in an super-special-awesome epic fight against Ultra-cool Cloud-obsessed Sephiroth, with Otherworldly Saint Aerith sprinkling the scenery with her dei ex machina. This wasn't FF7, and I wish it would never become FF7. :smallyuk:

As for a game I'd like to see remade ? The Baldur's Gate saga. As great as those games are, I can see so many things you could add, improve, deepen, streamline, rebalance, without denaturing or cheapening their soul. Baldur's Gate do not have this feeling of completeness that most CRPGs of its stature have. This is technically a flaw, and a serious one with that, but it does give so much hope with the eventuality of a remake. If only we manage to replace all the messiness with an equal amount of goodness, I feel like it could become so much more than it already is.

Airk
2011-04-21, 09:10 AM
NiGHTs into Dreams. Because supposedly it was one of the gems of the Dreamcast, which I never had, and the sequel on the Wii was only okay.

Zevox

Nitpick: NiGHTs was Sega Saturn, not Dreamcast. It was a very interesting game, and REALLY would benefit from a graphical update, because boy, it doesn't stand up well today.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 09:12 AM
Hmm.. wouldn't it be nice to have Star Wars : Rebellion's overall engine, but all combats are run with Homeworld : Warlords mod?

banjo1985
2011-04-21, 09:30 AM
Azure Dreams and Poy Poy please. :smallbiggrin:

Azure Dream would really come into its own with a modern MMO mechanic, and Poy Poy was just too much silly fun not to want a new version.

NiGHTs is a good shout as well. The Saturn original was amazing in a dreamy unique kind of way, at that time nobody had tried anything quite like it. The Wii version was boardering on terrible due to almost suicidally unresponsive motion controls.

Tazar
2011-04-21, 09:46 AM
Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines. One of the best RPGs of all times, hands down, and right up there with Freespace 2 for one of the most atmospheric games ever made.

Speaking of which, Freespace 3 and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2 also need to be made.

Sipex
2011-04-21, 10:26 AM
Maybe not a remake but Quest 64. The spell system and the overall feel had so much potential. I've seen the feel of it used well (Dragon Quest 8 had a large world where travelling felt like real travelling) but it's spell system remains unique to it.

MrPig
2011-04-21, 10:29 AM
American McGee's Alice. And they are! Or at the very least, they are re-releasing it for consoles. There are no details on whether or not it's getting a facelift.

Zevox
2011-04-21, 10:35 AM
Nitpick: NiGHTs was Sega Saturn, not Dreamcast.
Ah, an even more obscure console. I knew it was one of the Sega consoles I didn't get, but I've never been good at keeping track of which games were on the Dreamcast and which were on the Saturn.

Zevox

Sipex
2011-04-21, 10:39 AM
American McGee's Alice. And they are! Or at the very least, they are re-releasing it for consoles. There are no details on whether or not it's getting a facelift.

I think they'll upgrade it to HD but I don't think they'll redo the graphics unless they're releasing a full disc version (vs downloadable).

Triaxx
2011-04-21, 10:50 AM
Yeah, Quest had tons of missed potential. Originally it was a lot more ambitious in planning, but it fizzled out. Leonard was one of the characters planned to be a party member, but they cut costs.

Still a hideously fun game though. Especially the combat system. Being able to dodge magic, and increase the size of the area you could move in? WoW! Never seen that before.

Pity it didn't get a sequel.

Traab
2011-04-21, 11:04 AM
Final Fantasy VII is a game I think should by no means have a remake... but which will get one anyway. I do not want to hear (well, play) the story of Stoic Emo Cloud leading Useless Cheerleader Tifa and the rest of his team of fully dispensable sidekicks in an super-special-awesome epic fight against Ultra-cool Cloud-obsessed Sephiroth, with Otherworldly Saint Aerith sprinkling the scenery with her dei ex machina. This wasn't FF7, and I wish it would never become FF7. :smallyuk:

As for a game I'd like to see remade ? The Baldur's Gate saga. As great as those games are, I can see so many things you could add, improve, deepen, streamline, rebalance, without denaturing or cheapening their soul. Baldur's Gate do not have this feeling of completeness that most CRPGs of its stature have. This is technically a flaw, and a serious one with that, but it does give so much hope with the eventuality of a remake. If only we manage to replace all the messiness with an equal amount of goodness, I feel like it could become so much more than it already is.

I actually agree, I misunderstood the topic and applied it to types of games id like to see again. The whole ff6/7 setup were my two favorite titles in the entire series, more 6 than 7, and id love to see more final fantasy games along those lines. Instead of spending 75% of the budget hiring graphical designers to create more and more intricate cinematic and drawn out summoning graphics, id rather they went back to making a great storyline, awesome gameplay rules, and a wide assortment of characters with interesting skills. I dislike the ff games where you have to choose job classes and change back and forth constantly depending on what specific bosses the developers sent your way just to trip you up till you figured out the combo needed.

I liked ff6, where each character was unique. You didnt find say, mog and go, "Oh great, another generic spell caster for the pile" you got a unique set of abilities with powers that dont exist on any other character, (ignoring gogo) Sure some were kind of stupid, (gau) but at least they were all different! Even in ff7 its fairly generic. You can all learn the same spells, your physical attacks are all fairly bland with the only difference being something like specific bosses that clouds sword cant reach but garrets gun can. (I think there was one of those) Limit breaks were the only bit of uniqueness each character brought to the game really.

Lost Demiurge
2011-04-21, 11:09 AM
Oh, very much Master of Magic! That was the best $40 I ever spent, back in the day... Even if I couldn't get the damn sound working right.

SO many evenings whiled away trying to conquer Myrror and keep those damn planar wizards from stealin' my towers...

Garland
2011-04-21, 11:11 AM
Ultima VII, both parts.

Cespenar
2011-04-21, 11:21 AM
Though I'm very much a fan of the good old isometric viewed RPGs, a remake of Arcanum in the style of Fallout: New Vegas would be... yeah. I'd buy that.

Brother Oni
2011-04-21, 12:45 PM
Lords of Chaos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Chaos_%28video_game%29).

Either a RTS or a FPS remake would be awesome - you could summon different creature types that could either guard you, scurry around gathering components for your more powerful spells, or simply go stomping around for things to kill.

Alternately, Magic Carpet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Carpet_%28video_game%29).

BRC
2011-04-21, 01:13 PM
In terms of a Pure Remake, I would go with the original Deus Ex. Keep the gameplay identical, simply revamp the graphics and sound, especially the voice acting.

Now, X-Com represents a tricky dilemma for me. I start by saying "They should keep X-Com exactly as it is, just update the graphics, fix the difficulty bug, let your agents keep equipment between missions (So you don't have to start each mission by giving the heavy autocannon to the one agent with enough strength to use it) and throw in an optional tutorial". Then, I start saying things like "Oh, and you might as well throw in some other weapon types, sniper rifles for long-ranged accuracy, shotguns for helping clear buildings, ooh maybe deployable heavy weapons like machine guns that have to be set and packed up. Ooh, and while we're at it, lets let agents carry Ropes so they can get on top of buildings, and Megaphones they can use to control civillians. And while we're at it, why can't we call in airstrikes or use surveillance choppers, or have weapons on dropships to help cover landings zones".
And then I stop myself, because I realize that the road to terrible remakes is paved with good intentions.

Edit: Also, Arcanum, because it sounds amazing. I really want to play it, but everytime I think about buying it I remember hearing about all the bugs and loading screens.

arguskos
2011-04-21, 01:19 PM
Baldur's Gate 2. New graphics, full voice acting (same actors!), new rules system (no silly racial restrictions on classes and such), improved conversation system where your character's stats and such actually make a difference... but otherwise exactly the same game.

I'd pay for that.
No, absolutely disagreed. BG2 is basically perfect as it is. The 2D graphics are quirky but work perfectly, the voice acting is ideal (and you couldn't replicate it even with the same actors), the mechanics work and are smooth enough. The only point you have is the conversation system, which I frankly like as it is, though a bit of importance for Cha might be nice... oh wait, mods do that already. :smallcool: BG2 is ideal the way it stands. No other reason I'd sink so many hours into it (5000-6000 at last figuring).

Planescape: Torment, another nigh perfect game, does have interface issues. They tried some new stuff, and it didn't work out amazingly. I love it anyways, but it does have some issues. If the remaker touched ANYTHING else though, I'd light them on fire for heresy. :smallannoyed:

Now, if you want an Infinity Engine game to revamp, I'd want to see Icewind Dale 2 redone, mostly to have more content options. Shadowcasting? BINDING?! More feats/spells? Prestige classes? I think they had a chance to do something amazing, and while it was decently fun, it fell short of what it could have been. I'd pay money for that game again if it had constant updates with new content ala 3.5 (imagine, a new sourcebook hits and the game gets a new patch a month later with the sourcebook's contents; how awesome would that be).

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-21, 01:33 PM
In terms of a Pure Remake, I would go with the original Deus Ex. Keep the gameplay identical, simply revamp the graphics and sound, especially the voice acting.
Totally. Especially the voice acting, the atmosphere.

Now, X-Com represents a tricky dilemma for me. I start by saying "They should keep X-Com exactly as it is, just update the graphics, fix the difficulty bug, let your agents keep equipment between missions (So you don't have to start each mission by giving the heavy autocannon to the one agent with enough strength to use it) and throw in an optional tutorial". Then, I start saying things like "Oh, and you might as well throw in some other weapon types, sniper rifles for long-ranged accuracy, shotguns for helping clear buildings, ooh maybe deployable heavy weapons like machine guns that have to be set and packed up. Ooh, and while we're at it, lets let agents carry Ropes so they can get on top of buildings, and Megaphones they can use to control civillians. And while we're at it, why can't we call in airstrikes or use surveillance choppers, or have weapons on dropships to help cover landings zones".
And then I stop myself, because I realize that the road to terrible remakes is paved with good intentions.
New gameplay modes and options are definitely not something that an X-COM remake needs, for sure. Updated graphics, that would definitely be good, though. Have you heard of UFO: Alien Invasion (http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News)? It's been some time since I played it, but I remember it having a very smoothed out graphical interface. It even had "shot lines" for attacks that you made, so you could see where your guys were firing.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 01:49 PM
I liked the Afterlight serie, it was a nice try to recreate the X-Com feel. The main problem I've seen with this serie is.. too many ennemies. Not ennough tactics. Too much real-time. Weapons not deadly ennough.

X-Com was all about careful movement of your troops, potential 1-shot kills from your operatives or the alien. It was a deadly dance of death you shared, with only the occasional shots fired.

When you end up in a firefight worthy of GI Joe, that ain't X-Com anymore. Game designers end up making the same mistake as many so-called "horror" game. The atmosphere, the tension doesn't come from a horde of ennemies to fight. It comes from the occasional ennemy that leaps from the dark..

but it also comes from the time when the ennemy isn't there, and your mind is simply playing tricks on you.

Less ennemies than in Afterblank serie. Make all weapons more dangerous.

Triaxx
2011-04-21, 02:20 PM
Fallout 3, of all games, has some great areas like that, somewhat ruined by the enemy radar. Dunwich Building, Hubris Comics... great areas to scare yourself in.

I'd love to see the graphics and physics of Deus Ex updated. As fun as it is now, imagine how much more fun with a massive draw distance increase, and the ability to fling things with explosions. Dropping in on Maggie Chow would never look so fun.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 02:27 PM
Actually, a remake of Deus Ex, with just updated graphics, would be awesome for me.

Dogmantra
2011-04-21, 02:28 PM
I think Tetris ought to get a remake.

BRC
2011-04-21, 02:31 PM
I liked the Afterlight serie, it was a nice try to recreate the X-Com feel. The main problem I've seen with this serie is.. too many ennemies. Not ennough tactics. Too much real-time. Weapons not deadly ennough.

X-Com was all about careful movement of your troops, potential 1-shot kills from your operatives or the alien. It was a deadly dance of death you shared, with only the occasional shots fired.

When you end up in a firefight worthy of GI Joe, that ain't X-Com anymore. Game designers end up making the same mistake as many so-called "horror" game. The atmosphere, the tension doesn't come from a horde of ennemies to fight. It comes from the occasional ennemy that leaps from the dark..

but it also comes from the time when the ennemy isn't there, and your mind is simply playing tricks on you.

Less ennemies than in Afterblank serie. Make all weapons more dangerous.
Hence why I mentally slap myself for wanting to add so much stuff to X-Com. X-Com shouldn't be about pouring firepower at a massed enemy until it falls over.
Seriously, were I to remake X-Com, this is what I would do.

1: Fix the difficulty Bug. If you want that Authentic X-COM experience, just play on Very Hard.
2: Update the graphics, maybe. X-Com's graphics really arn't that bad as-is, but I would do something. If I saw some good ideas, maybe a complete graphical overhaul, otherwise I would simply make operative and civilian sprites more varied (So there would be more than one appearance for male-and-female Operatives).
3: You can equip agents on both the Base and the Dropship screens. Equipment on the base screen is their Default layout, if you want to modify that (For example, giving them electro-flares for night missions), you can do that on the Dropship screen. Dropship-loadouts only last for the one mission. This is just to speed things along.
4: A couple (all optional) tutorials, one for absolute basics, and one to explain lots of stuff that isn't always obvious (like more weight means movement takes more TU's, or having a rifle one-handed kills accuracy).
Now, if you notice, nothing above actually touches Gameplay itself (except for the difficulty thing), I would make some gameplay changes, but these are likely to get be pinned to the wall by X-Com Purists.
5: localize urban battle maps to climate the same way countryside maps are. It kind of bugged me that you could fight in Chicago one day, then Cairo the next, and they would be exactly the same. Ideally, each city would have different parameters for how it's laid out/ the climate. Or just build a unique map for each city, since the same city is rarely attacked twice it should work.
6: This is the one that's going to get me tarred and feathered, since it's not about fixing anything. Perhaps this would be a mod, or optional DLC or something, but I would add some items.
a: Flashlights, can be held in one hand or strapped to a rifle. Provides a cone of light so you don't need to rely on electro-flares/incendiaries for night missions, but makes you a target.
b: Shotguns, High accuracy/damage at short ranges, low TU cost, bad ammo capacity. A good weapon for covering a door. There are laser and plasma versions you can get after researching the respective rifles.
c: Sniper Rifles: High accuracy/damage with an aimed shot, very good range. Low ammo capacity and a very high TU cost to fire. There are laser and plasma versions you can get after researching the respective rifles.

Eloel
2011-04-21, 02:59 PM
Homeworld: Best attempt at 3-dimensional Space RTS ever, it very nearly got there. This game series has promise; only 2 failed so they should try again.
I came in to say this, only to see it already said. Duh.

Well, new thing to add?
Worms. Not the crap we just got, I want an honest-to-god remake of Armageddon.

GloatingSwine
2011-04-21, 03:29 PM
1: Fix the difficulty Bug. If you want that Authentic X-COM experience, just play on Very Hard.

Actually, the authentic UFO experience would be playing on Very Easy, because the original version of the game resets to Beginner after the first mission.

If I were to remake UFO it probably wouldn't much resemble the old UFO. I'd redo the battlescape missions to be similar to the Valkyria Chronicles games, turn based battles which switch to realtime direct control when a unit takes it's turn, but with a system to prevent single unit spamming (in VC you have a limited number of moves across your whole squad, so you can reuse a unit at 2/3 then 1/3 of their AP bar, giving up the ability to act at all with others, this makes the game feel less squad based than it should. I'd counter this by adding fatigue, if you take a second action with a unit then they won't be able to act at all next turn, similar to overspending TU on an encumbered unit in UFO. I'd also replicate the UFO aiming system by allowing you to spend TU to focus and aim at a target, firing without doing so would be inaccurate but cost no AP, aiming would cost AP but allow you to accurately pick shots. There'd be no need for aimed/snap/burst, each weapon would have a burst value which would determine the number of shots fired).

I'm not sure about adding new weapon types, the available weapons should certainly be limited by utility, shotguns and snipers maybe, but then I'd also ditch the utterly useless pistols.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-21, 03:44 PM
Rehauling the carrying capacity of soldiers, ease of deployment, etc.. would be cool, however. Pistols would be nice, easy-to-deploy weapons for people carrying sniper weapons and heavy weaponry. Or if a soldier doesn't have the time to reload their assault weapon. (how long does it take to reload an AK47?)

Making it a Small-arm Squad-based combat simulator with aliens and tension, you don't need anything. Although, I'd like maybe the game to be simultaneous-movement turn-based. Like.. at the beginning of your turn, you tell all your soldiers where to go, what kind of stand to have. Each soldiers have their personnality, twitch, sense of observation, etc.. So if one see an alien, he might react without you giving him order on the next turn.

Also, it'd be nice to have leaders of your squads have an influence on the performance and reactions of the squads under their command. Like, an "innovative" leader could make its squad react if they see something that you hadn't planned for..

darn, I am designing a video game in my head again. :smallfrown: I should stop doing that before I have the budget. Although I should file this idea somewhere...

BRC
2011-04-21, 03:45 PM
Actually, the authentic UFO experience would be playing on Very Easy, because the original version of the game resets to Beginner after the first mission.

Oh, right, well I would fix the bug anyway.

GloatingSwine
2011-04-21, 04:19 PM
You can actually fix the difficulty bug and have the game automatically reequip your squad with XcomUtil.

It can also make lasers not pointless and remove the laser cannon exploit by adding an Elerium cost to building them.

(I also use it to turn off psionics, because the AI blatantly cheats when using them and you can blatantly cheat back when you get them, the core shooting mechanics are far more of an interesting challenge than "lol this guy has no gear because he will be mind controlled, but now the enemy will always try and go for him because he has the lowest psi defence).

Daverin
2011-04-21, 08:51 PM
Star Wars Rebellion was awesome. It's probably one of the best layered strategy game I've seen in my life. Getting to appreciate the Black Ops layer of this game really, really, really improved my gameplay experience, and I am sure it would be nice to have something like this happen again.

A bit late, but I just have to say I agree full-heartedly. That game was strangely amazing, and the fact it drew so much from the EU (I suppose YMMV, although I think it is the parts of the EU that are more universally enjoyed) was also pretty cool. Which reminds me, I wish we could see another video game of any fashion that featured the bulwark battlecruisers again; those were awesome!

LordShotGun
2011-04-21, 08:54 PM
As said before, homeworld, but also freelancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_%28video_game%29

Not only was freelancer a very good game by itself, it was coded in a very easy to mod language that lead to MASSIVE mods being made for it very easily.

Daverin
2011-04-21, 08:58 PM
As said before, homeworld, but also freelancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_%28video_game%29

Not only was freelancer a very good game by itself, it was coded in a very easy to mod language that lead to MASSIVE mods being made for it very easily.

You said Freelancer. You immediately made it to my awesome list. No, seriously. :smalltongue:

I actually wish I could get a hold of a copy, I want to play it so badly right now. Honestly, the only reason I'd say no to remaking it is has such a high bar to attempt to improve anything on. Even the graphics, if not good in the technical sense, were still resoundingly good and really captured the wonders of the environment so well. And how can you beat a game that had a legitimate means of doing nothing but being a merchandise provider for different stores? :smallwink:

That said, if they could improve on the graphics, I could only imagine the eye candy it would be. That, and more variety in the game would be cool (maybe even some actual gameplay on foot, although that could also be dangerous territory to walk on for a remake or sequel...)

Kallisti
2011-04-21, 09:25 PM
Psychonauts. Oh God, Psychonauts. It's so much win as-is, but there' so, so, so much more they could have done with it. I'd love to see it updated--a sequel or expansion or what-have-you would be nice, but what I'd really love to see is a remake of the original game, from the same studios, building on and expanding the original game and original story. Going much, much deeper into a lot of the world, adding more levels and more powers, just building on what they already have.

scienceguy8
2011-04-21, 10:13 PM
Gonna agree with BRC and others about Deus Ex. Polish the graphics, some of the sounds, and I guess one or two of the lines were a little cheesy and should be re-recorded (with the same or eerily similar voice actors, if at all possible). Really, however, it is the engine that needs major improvement. Deus Ex and its not quite as good but still solid sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War, are starting to enter Ancient Game territory. Allow me to explain: I am currently developing what I would like to call Anthony "scienceguy8" Gilberti's Classification of Video Game Age In Relation To Hardware. It is supposed to be an empirical way of evaluating the age of a game relative to how well it plays on certain hardware. It isn't finished yet. According to the scale an Ancient Game is one in which modern hardware or software works against the game's performance (i.e.: Mac OS 9 games like Escape Velocity not working on Intel-based Mac OS 10.5 machines). Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War are not quite there yet, but for some it does take a little tinkering to get them working optimally (i.e.: resetting screen colors, or disabling multiple cores and hyper threading). Having both games working perfectly on modern hardware would be a major advantage, especially considering the original's significance within the gaming world (name me one FPS/RPG that is as good or better than Deus Ex).

Another game that must be remade, is currently being remade, but is painful to wait for its remade release is Half-Life. There is a group of dedicated fans who are coming close to the release of their own graphical, audio, and engine update known as Black Mesa (http://www.blackmesasource.com/), but they have adopted the same "we will only release it when it is ready" mentality of Valve, and they don't have nearly the same resources as the Washington-based computer gaming giant, so it has taken a really, really long time. Trailer is good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32_q_3es8E), at least.

Triaxx
2011-04-22, 06:35 AM
I did have to disable one of my cores for Deus Ex, but I also located a set of files to allow it to take advantage of DirectX 9 and massively improve the graphics within it's own engine.

First, for auto-disabling a core here. (http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm)

Second, for enhanced graphics right here. (http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/)

Of console games, I want to see a PS3 remake of Legend of Dragoon. That would be totally awesome.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-04-22, 06:49 AM
It can also make lasers not pointless

I'm sorry, I don't follow.
I almost exclusively use lasers. It allows for Recon by fire.

Another game that must be remade, is currently being remade, but is painful to wait for its remade release is Half-Life.

I swear, I must be the only geek in the multiverse who dislikes Half-Life. Thar be bank to be made there, though.

LordShotGun
2011-04-22, 06:49 AM
You said Freelancer. You immediately made it to my awesome list. No, seriously. :smalltongue:

I actually wish I could get a hold of a copy, I want to play it so badly right now. Honestly, the only reason I'd say no to remaking it is has such a high bar to attempt to improve anything on. Even the graphics, if not good in the technical sense, were still resoundingly good and really captured the wonders of the environment so well. And how can you beat a game that had a legitimate means of doing nothing but being a merchandise provider for different stores? :smallwink:

That said, if they could improve on the graphics, I could only imagine the eye candy it would be. That, and more variety in the game would be cool (maybe even some actual gameplay on foot, although that could also be dangerous territory to walk on for a remake or sequel...)

And to think that the only reason I bought the game was because I saw it in bestbuy for 5 dollars and it was inside of a paper sleeve. I often buy games on super sale and I am usually disapointed but freelancer was one of the rare games whose story, (while unimaginative) had flipping awesome massive ship battles that made me play through the night just to see what new massive fleet of ships I had to destroy.

Morty
2011-04-22, 07:01 AM
I disagree with people asking for a Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment remake. These games are fine and classic as they are. Adding and changing things runs a risk of ruining them.
I do agree that a remake of Arcanum would be nice. Just throw in a decent engine and an actual working combat system.
Another game I'd like to see a remake of is Gothic 1. The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic there, but the mechanics were worse than in the following games, which in turn didn't have quite as good an atmosphere - especially Gothic 3, which didn't have any atmosphere whatsoever. I'd be more wary of changing the plot, but making it less linear would be good, I think - after Act 1, the freedom became more and more of an illusion.

Comet
2011-04-22, 07:03 AM
Ultima VII, both parts.

Could be cool.

You know what would be cooler? A remake of Ultima IX. Seriously, have you seen what the game was supposed to be like, according to the leaked original script? Epic beyond measure.

Instead we got a bland disappointment, which was a really bad way to end a series.
I would be happy if someone could just reproduce the original script, even in the engine of some older Ultima game if that's what it would take.

Ultima IV could be great, too. The idea of a sword and sorcery fantasy game where your goal is to become a better person instead of, say, killing all the orcs in the land or some such would be a great change of pace for many players, I bet, if it was presented in a way that could be easily aproached by today's players.

Yora
2011-04-22, 07:08 AM
I don't like remakes. I like my Baldur's Gate and my Metal Gear Solid right as they are.
Updating them to run on new hardware is okay, but a good game does not need updated graphics, new soundeffects, and so on.

However, if Black Mesa Source gets released, I'll be one of the first to play it and donate to the developers.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-22, 08:57 AM
I disagree with people asking for a Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment remake. These games are fine and classic as they are. Adding and changing things runs a risk of ruining them.

Given that I still can't get BG2 or Planescape: Torment to work on my Windows 7 machine, I would not say they can be ruined at all. How much worse than "completely non functional" can a piece of software actually get?

Also: How does remaking something ruin the original?

warty goblin
2011-04-22, 08:59 AM
I'm not generally a fan of remakes; I'd rather see new ideas than old ones dressed up. I would however pay very good money for a remake/rerelease of Drakan: Order of the Flame. There are too few games where you get to play as a dragon, and none of them have made it feel as right as Drakan.

Morty
2011-04-22, 10:36 AM
Given that I still can't get BG2 or Planescape: Torment to work on my Windows 7 machine, I would not say they can be ruined at all. How much worse than "completely non functional" can a piece of software actually get?

I'm not sure if getting it to work on new systems and hardware counts as a remake.

Sir
2011-04-22, 11:49 AM
Oh, this is easy. Has anyone ever played Sid Meiers: Pirates? Its a game set in the Caribbean where you run around sinking ships, sword fighting, invading cities, trading, and dancing with governors daughters. You can of course be a pirate, but it's usually better to be a privateer for a nation. When I got it for 10$, I was surprised at the complexity and just plain good design of it all. All in all, a good game, that would be fantastic if they touched up the TBS city invading parts, made a bigger world, maybe more than four nations, and redid the graphics. Fixing all the bugs would help too :smalltongue:.

So good in fact, if they added some sort of limited "join your friends" type of multiplayer, that I would say it could be one of the best games of the decade. You will know what I am talking about if you ever play it; good, but it could be amazing.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-22, 11:56 AM
Oh, this is easy. Has anyone ever played Sid Meiers: Pirates? Its a game set in the Caribbean where you run around sinking ships, sword fighting, invading cities, trading, and dancing with governors daughters. You can of course be a pirate, but it's usually better to be a privateer for a nation. When I got it for 10$, I was surprised at the complexity and just plain good design of it all. All in all, a good game, that would be fantastic if they touched up the TBS city invading parts, made a bigger world, maybe more than four nations, and redid the graphics. Fixing all the bugs would help too :smalltongue:.

Do you mean they should make another remake for the game, or they should remake the remake, or what?

GloatingSwine
2011-04-22, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry, I don't follow.
I almost exclusively use lasers. It allows for Recon by fire.

So does heavy plasma, because somewhere about three months into the game the enemy will start dropping heavy plasma ammo like candy. Especially if you remember to unload all their guns as you kill them.

The change is actually to the Heavy Laser though, improving its accuracy and giving it auto fire, making it a useful sniper weapon further into the game.

In the base game it's better to skip lasers unless you want to cheat by mass producing laser cannons to sell for much cashes, go straight to plasma, it's super effective.

Sir
2011-04-22, 01:37 PM
Do you mean they should make another remake for the game, or they should remake the remake, or what?

The remade it? I know they ported it to Xbox, but did it have some extremely buggy version in the 90s or something? If thats so, I am sorry for my ignorance :smallredface:. If they already did the things I pointed out and I somehow missed it, I must be off to buy it at once! Either way, google ho!

I found the 80s version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!), so to answer your question, remake the remake. Think what could be done if they had expansion packs for europe or asia, or they added more variety and less bugs (seriously, everyone turning glossy-black gets old after a while). The possibilities are endless!

Ok, not really, but it would be pretty cool.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-04-22, 01:39 PM
So does heavy plasma, because somewhere about three months into the game the enemy will start dropping heavy plasma ammo like candy. Especially if you remember to unload all their guns as you kill them.

The change is actually to the Heavy Laser though, improving its accuracy and giving it auto fire, making it a useful sniper weapon further into the game.

In the base game it's better to skip lasers unless you want to cheat by mass producing laser cannons to sell for much cashes, go straight to plasma, it's super effective.

Yeah, but you have to stop to reload plasma. Laser is the gift that keeps on giving.

Hunter Noventa
2011-04-22, 08:43 PM
I'd have to say the game I want redone properly is Xenogears. I know we got Xenosaga, but those were prequels.

Update the background a gear graphics to cutting-edge HD. I wish we could make the sprites super detailed HD ones like we'll be seeing in Disgaea 4, but the effort needed to draw everything might be a bit much, which is a shame. Update the combat system a touch, just to give it more variety, but there wasn't too much to be improved on with the original that couldn't be done without destroying it's charm.

Other than that...make the gears better looking, update backgrounds and FMVs...for the love of god get some good voice acting...AND FINISH THE SECOND DISC.

Iskandar
2011-04-23, 12:14 AM
How do we get this far without someone saying System Shock/System Shock 2?

Although, System Shock 2 with Bioshock level graphics.... might make me want to hide under the bed, come to think of it. The cyber midwives were bad enough even with primitive graphics, and the hybrids...

factotum
2011-04-23, 01:48 AM
How do we get this far without someone saying System Shock/System Shock 2?

Maybe there's no point in remaking games that were already perfection? :smallwink: Besides, I wouldn't trust any modern developer to get it right--whenever there has been a more modern incarnation of an old game (see: Fallout 3, Thief 3) it hasn't quite worked for me.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-23, 02:18 AM
I'd like a remake of Age of Empires, rifles and cannons are all nice but there is something special about clubmen, bowmen and chariots.
... I think I'll have to go and give myself a dose of it.

GolemsVoice
2011-04-24, 06:35 AM
Edit: Also, Arcanum, because it sounds amazing. I really want to play it, but everytime I think about buying it I remember hearing about all the bugs and loading screens.

Try it with the fan patches. They really smoothen out much of the game, and even add things that didn't quite make it into the finished game.

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-04-24, 06:37 AM
Hmm.. wouldn't it be nice to have Star Wars : Rebellion's overall engine, but all combats are run with Homeworld : Warlords mod?

It would be amazing.

Tehnar
2011-04-24, 07:15 AM
Dark Omen / Shadow of the Horned Rat: and not the crappy Mark of Chaos type remake.

Descent: Freespace: Or at least some sort of space shooter. Why don't they produce any more of those?

Warhammer 40k, Chaos Gate: The only game I have not been able to get to run on XP/Vista/W7.

Alpha Centauri: Please Sid, pretty please.

Bayar
2011-04-24, 08:50 AM
The first Carmageddon.

Eldariel
2011-04-24, 10:34 AM
Descent: Freespace: Or at least some sort of space shooter. Why don't they produce any more of those?

I know I already named two (I-War, Tie Fighter), but +1. Well, Freespace 2. Now that was a game. Man, I should reinstall it soon as I get some real joystick instead of this old pile I've been rocking since 90s.

MrPig
2011-04-24, 02:12 PM
I know I already named two (I-War, Tie Fighter), but +1. Well, Freespace 2. Now that was a game. Man, I should reinstall it soon as I get some real joystick instead of this old pile I've been rocking since 90s.

The FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project (http://scp.indiegames.us/) updates the graphics to be on par with today's visuals. It ports FS1 into the updated FS2 engine as well.

Toastkart
2011-04-24, 03:52 PM
Mech Commander Gold could use a remake, as MC2 was sorely disappointing. It doesn't really need a graphical update, as it was a very nice looking game for its time. I would, however, prefer more fluid zoom control similar to sins of a solar empire, although obviously there would be no need to zoom out that far. What it also needs is a fully involved mechlab, as the drag and drop style of mcg led to some pretty humorous incidents of lasers coming out of a catapult's missile boxes, or a mad cat with both ppcs in one arm.

More mechs rather than fewer mechs is always a plus. Of course, this is an issue with most battletech games, but since we're wishing here, why not include all of them that have ever been in previous mechcommander and mechwarrior games.

GloatingSwine
2011-04-24, 04:17 PM
It doesn't really need a graphical update, as it was a very nice looking game for its time. I would, however, prefer more fluid zoom control similar to sins of a solar empire, although obviously there would be no need to zoom out that far.

It would need a completely redone graphics engine for that. You'd need to redo everything in a polygon based 3D engine in order to have that sort of zoom capability.

And quite frankly I can't see why a redone Mechcommander shouldn't look at least as nice as Starcraft 2 or Dawn of War 2.

Triaxx
2011-04-24, 07:27 PM
Hmmm... Mech Commander in the Supreme Commander 1 engine. I like that idea.

Craftworld
2011-04-24, 11:58 PM
X Games for the Playstation.

Mx.Silver
2011-04-25, 07:39 AM
None. It's irritating enough with all the unnecessary film remakes, and I really don't want to see that particular fad infect games. One major reason for this is that a lot of older games operate using designs that are outright shunned by much of the modern industry; most notably being 2D. A modern remake risks someone on the design team deciding to 'correct' these, and one need only look at the Bionic Commando disaster to see how that can go wrong. Or there's the possibility that the remake will try to move away from an 'unevolved' genre, such as the upcoming X-com 'remake' (that is a first-person shooter as opposed to the turn-based strategy of the previous series).
Voice acting too is not necessarily an improvement. Sure in games with terrible voice acting a better dub would help, but adding more voicework to games which have little to none is just as likely to present drawbacks. Firstly, full voiceovers are one hell of lot more space intensive than unread text. This can easily lead to somes dialogues being cut in a effort to preserve space, indeed it was because of this space issue that Bioware chose to leave the protagonist of Dragon Age: Origins unvoiced.
Second, there's the matter of acting quality. While a well-written line read well sounds great, the fact is that it only takes one bad performance (or even just an actor with an annoying voice) to render a decent piece of dialogue unpleasant to hear.
This even applies to graphics, particularly with games that opted for a more stylised look. Planescape Torment, for example, still looks pretty good despite running in 256 colours precisely because of its visual style.

I haven't had problems getting the infinity engine games to run on Windows 7, so it may just be your PC. Have you tried adjusting your compatability settings? That might well do the trick.

Maybe not ruin the originals but a bad remakes can certainly tarnish the reputation of a fondly-regarded older game, or just disrespect it (e.g. Bionc Commando, Bomberman).

super dark33
2011-04-25, 01:41 PM
the game i think need a remake is rome total war. the game is so fun, but somehow poor graphic and artificial stupidety. but sega will propably do it.
another game that i wish could be remake is rise of nation. its such a good game, but a little make over can bring it back to life.

warmachine
2011-04-27, 08:48 AM
Master of Orion 3.

What?

No, I mean it needs a designer who properly understands gameplay and UI design. And decent testers.

Triaxx
2011-04-27, 11:51 AM
So you mean the Galactic Civilizations II crew?

warty goblin
2011-04-27, 12:08 PM
So you mean the Galactic Civilizations II crew?

Spoken like somebody who hasn't played Elemental.

Gaius Marius
2011-04-27, 12:14 PM
Spoken like somebody who hasn't played Elemental.

I really, really, really wonder how they dropped the ball so badly on that game.

I mean, they previous games were awesome. What happened?!

Morty
2011-04-27, 12:14 PM
Earlier, I forgot Severance: Blade of Darkness. This game deserves a remake that's complete and includes all the stuff the authors obviously intended to put there but didn't.

warty goblin
2011-04-27, 12:22 PM
I really, really, really wonder how they dropped the ball so badly on that game.

I mean, they previous games were awesome. What happened?!

It actually made a fairly good initial impression on me. Then things like the terrible AI and generally poor design started to rear their heads in my second game. After that I really had no incentive to play anymore.

Now I'm basically hoping that Fallen Enchantress is good, since I've got a free copy coming.

Zen Monkey
2011-04-27, 07:22 PM
Thief: The Dark Project

The Glyphstone
2011-04-27, 08:23 PM
Ascendancy. Heck, I still like playing it today, but it's basically the same rote actions to where I could be doing it in my sleep by this point.

factotum
2011-04-28, 01:43 AM
Thief: The Dark Project

No. Just, no. As I said earlier, anyone who's played Thief 3 knows just how badly a modern developer can mess up the Thief games, and why mess with (near-)perfection? :smallwink:

That's kind of my problem with this whole concept, in fact--everyone seems to be confident that a remake would either be better than the original, or at the very least, would be the same but with a modern graphics engine; I fear it wouldn't turn out that way in reality.

Parra
2011-04-28, 03:29 AM
Dunno if anyone else mentioned it, but a remake of Master of Orion 2 would be awesome (not that piece of crap MOO3 we got)

Miscast_Mage
2011-04-28, 05:34 AM
Here's a game I think that deserves at least a port to the modern consoles(and PC as well. I mean, come on CAPCOM, a multiplayer-focused game and you made it PS2 exclusive? :smallmad:): The Resident Evil Outbreak series.

They were essentially a multiplayer version of the older resident evil games focusing more on a group of civilians surviving the outbreak, ie, melee weapons(most of which were breakable) weapons being much more common than ammo for guns, especially on harder difficulties. They were amazing in theory. What killed it was A) Ally AI when playing single player seemed as if it deliberately went out of it's way to make you want to rip your hair out(Such as: Not using small healings when they should, using larger heals when they only need a small one, wasting more ammo than needed against zombies when you need to save that ammo for bosses anyway... gah), and network play was so bad and prone to just out-right disconnecting that it wasn't worth it... not that I would know, the PAL version didn't even have the option of playing online, and the second had it's servers closed down before I had a chance to play that.

It would be an amazing game if it's given a chance on this generation of consoles, but I'm not holding my breath.:smallfrown:

Otogi
2011-04-28, 05:42 AM
No. Just, no. As I said earlier, anyone who's played Thief 3 knows just how badly a modern developer can mess up the Thief games, and why mess with (near-)perfection? :smallwink:

That's kind of my problem with this whole concept, in fact--everyone seems to be confident that a remake would either be better than the original, or at the very least, would be the same but with a modern graphics engine; I fear it wouldn't turn out that way in reality.

All modern game developers are poison to the Thief series! Mess it up once, mess it up forever!

Lord of the Helms
2011-04-28, 06:30 AM
I have to totally disagree with BG2, Planescape: Torment and Jade Empire. All of them are perfectly fine as is and don't need any improvement, not even graphically; what little improvement BG1 needed was done by the modders already (see: BG Tutu). BG2 (in terms of background areas) and Planescape (in terms of character animations) are actually the peak of 2D Graphics quality and have aged beautifully in all this time. Jade Empire looks fine and has fantastic combat (on the PC at least, can't comment on the XBox version), and there's only one change for the better I could even think of: Making your companions not utterly weak and useless in fights, and I'm sure that can be done with a mod easily enough if it hasn't been already.

Arcanum, I can actually agree with, since that was a game that managed to be great yet horrendously flawed in many aspects at the same time. I also wouldn't mind seeing the first two Fallouts upgraded to BG2 graphics quality.

What I would really like to see a remake of is, in broad terms, every good 3D game, especially FPS and TPS games, made before the release of the Source, Doom 3 or Unreal 2 engine. Some Quake 3-based games are still barely this side of crossing the line to unbearably hideous (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, for example), but when I try to play something like Half-Life: Opposing Force or the original Jedi Knight nowadays, I feel like spontaneously developing eye cancer. Top of the list are definitely Half-Life and its Add-Ons, System Shock 1 and 2 and the first half (preferably also the second half) of the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight saga. After that we can move on to UT, Deus Ex (not QUITE as ugly as the previously mentioned ones), Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, Serious Sam, Aliens vs Predator 1 and 2, Sacrifice, and maybe even Soldier of Fortune - hey, it was fun.

On the strategy front, I guess Homeworld could do with a graphics update.

Mind you, these should be updated only in terms of graphics. Nothing else at all. So I really wouldn't care if it's done officiaully or just by modding teams converting the game to a new engine.

Earlier, I forgot Severance: Blade of Darkness. This game deserves a remake that's complete and includes all the stuff the authors obviously intended to put there but didn't.

Ooooooooh yes, this one I definitely agree with. To this day I haven't found a game with melee combat even half as fun as this one. Update the graphics, present the storyline better so that you can actually understand it without reading tons of supplemental material / wildly guessing what they intended it to go like, throwing in more cutscenes and dialogue so you can understand reasonably well what's going on, and bingo, there we go.

Bayar
2011-04-28, 06:43 AM
What I would really like to see a remake of is, in broad terms, every good 3D game, especially FPS and TPS games, made before the release of the Source, Doom 3 or Unreal 2 engine. Some Quake 3-based games are still barely this side of crossing the line to unbearably hideous (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, for example), but when I try to play something like Half-Life: Opposing Force or the original Jedi Knight nowadays, I feel like spontaneously developing eye cancer. Top of the list are definitely Half-Life and its Add-Ons, System Shock 1 and 2 and the first half (preferably also the second half) of the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight saga. After that we can move on to UT, Deus Ex (not QUITE as ugly as the previously mentioned ones), Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, Serious Sam, Aliens vs Predator 1 and 2, Sacrifice, and maybe even Soldier of Fortune - hey, it was fun.

Half life -> so ugly that it causes eye cancer

If you really want better graphics, get the HD patch. :annoyed:

Also, Serious Sam got it's remake. Let's just say that the preety colors are VERY distracting and that the original was better.

Morty
2011-04-28, 06:53 AM
Ooooooooh yes, this one I definitely agree with. To this day I haven't found a game with melee combat even half as fun as this one. Update the graphics, present the storyline better so that you can actually understand it without reading tons of supplemental material / wildly guessing what they intended it to go like, throwing in more cutscenes and dialogue so you can understand reasonably well what's going on, and bingo, there we go.

I was speaking more in terms of fleshing out the Amazon and Dwarf characters, adding more bows - the only bow in the game is called "light bow" which indicates there were supposed to be more - and expanding on features such as shields reducing Power - it looks like it was supposed to provide some more diversity into the combat system but it doesn't actually do anything.
Storyline... yes, I suppose it also deserves a remake too. Noone plays a hack'n'slash action game for a deep story, but in Severance, you had no idea what's going on most of the time and that's no fun.

Abemad
2011-04-28, 07:55 AM
I feel like spontaneously developing eye cancer. Top of the list are definitely Half-Life...
...Mind you, these should be updated only in terms of graphics. Nothing else at all. So I really wouldn't care if it's done officiaully or just by modding teams converting the game to a new engine.

Check out http://www.blackmesasource.com/, its a port of half-life 1 to the source engine, it hasn't been release yet, but according to this post (http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showpost.php?p=327641&postcount=217), it shouldn't be that long before its released.

Abemad
2011-04-28, 08:00 AM
I was speaking more in terms of fleshing out the Amazon and Dwarf characters, adding more bows - the only bow in the game is called "light bow" which indicates there were supposed to be more - and expanding on features such as shields reducing Power - it looks like it was supposed to provide some more diversity into the combat system but it doesn't actually do anything.
Storyline... yes, I suppose it also deserves a remake too. Noone plays a hack'n'slash action game for a deep story, but in Severance, you had no idea what's going on most of the time and that's no fun.

I dont think the story was that hard to follow, at least not if you found the room explaining all the runes in level 5 (Island of Karum), (the room at the bottom of the lava pit)...

LansXero
2011-04-28, 08:15 AM
Ascendancy. Heck, I still like playing it today, but it's basically the same rote actions to where I could be doing it in my sleep by this point.

So much potential with all the different races and types of planets and ship components. . . and then the AI is retarded easy and gives you nothing to do :(

The Glyphstone
2011-04-28, 09:53 AM
So much potential with all the different races and types of planets and ship components. . . and then the AI is retarded easy and gives you nothing to do :(

Exactly. Even the AI patch didn't help much, it just gave higher-difficulty AIs a resource/build handicap and made them automatically hate your guts. Balifids went and cried themselves to sleep in a corner, everyone else played as normal.

hajo
2011-04-28, 11:16 AM
a remake of Master of Orion 2 would be awesome
Seconded. FreeOrion (http://freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page) is moving a bit too slowly :smallfrown:

Also worth a remake: MoO 1 - it just needs an upgrade for todays machines (DOS), graphics (EGA), and UserInterface (e.g. allow input of more than uppercase letters only).

chaosapiant
2011-04-28, 11:24 AM
I saw one person mention it, but seriously, bring back Alpha Centauri.

Triaxx
2011-04-28, 11:30 AM
Horrifying when the patch makes it WORSE.

Jahkaivah
2011-04-28, 09:13 PM
I was thinking it might be nice if Portal 1 could be remade using the updated Portal 2 engine. Glados' audio files can be reused and what not. The main benefit is being able to use the smoother portal technology and possibly updating some of the designs like the smaller cubes that Portal 2 used and the layout change that one room had recieved when it was revisted.

Lord of the Helms
2011-04-30, 04:28 AM
Check out http://www.blackmesasource.com/, its a port of half-life 1 to the source engine, it hasn't been release yet, but according to this post (http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showpost.php?p=327641&postcount=217), it shouldn't be that long before its released.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Certainly better than the joke that was Half-Life: Source or the less than impressive "HD Patch" (similarly, Serious Sam HD was a serious disappointment, not looking all that much better than the original considering there was almost a decade between the two).

...now I just hope that team will do the same with Opposing Force and Blue Shift afterwards :smallsmile:

Bows I can see, and maybe the dwarf as well, but I always though the amazon was simply supposed to be the "easy mode" character", so instead of giving her a dozen combos of varying quality like the Barbarian and the Knight, they simply gave her one insanely effective, easy-to-do combo that was the solveitall for 90% of all fights in the game. I think it wasn't until the very last weapon that I found a weapon-specific combo more useful than, what was it called, Whirlwind? Hurricane?

Increasing other differences between classs would have been nice too. The hit point disparity almost entirely disappears by the end of the game, it'd be cool if it kept scaling instead and thus giving a level 20 Amazon half the hit points of a level 20 dwarf, rather than less than one percent difference.

The Succubus
2011-04-30, 04:55 AM
I'd be happy to see the original teams of Bullfrog and Lucasarts reform. Seeing more of the magic that made Day of the Tentacle, Tie Fighter, Syndicate & Magic Carpet.......

Damn EA and damn George Lucas.

Brother Oni
2011-04-30, 06:28 AM
Resident Evil Outbreak remake

Isn't that what Left 4 Dead is? Same multiplayer zombie survival concept just with different lore and a camera change?

factotum
2011-04-30, 07:53 AM
I wonder if there are any other games that could be considered as modern "remakes" of a classic? Like everyone said Hostile Waters was essentially a remake of Carrier Command...

Brother Oni
2011-04-30, 02:26 PM
Depending on who you ask, EVE Online is regarded as a remake or a spiritual successor to Elite.

The problem is that spiritual successors are pretty much the same game as the original, just updated enough to be considered a separate game in its own right.

Off the top of my head, you have Shadow of the Colossus and Ico - Shadow is cleared influenced by Ico, both in art style, story presentation and gameplay, but it's not considered a direct sequel or a remake. I'm sure people can come up with others.

Triaxx
2011-04-30, 04:25 PM
The X-series is a better successor to Elite in my opinion.

Bayar
2011-04-30, 04:29 PM
The X-series is a better successor to Elite in my opinion.

True that.

houlio
2011-05-01, 11:43 AM
For all you X-Com lovers out there, reading this thread reminded of this (http://www.xenonauts.com/), which I heard about a while back.

Wardog
2011-05-05, 05:08 PM
+1 for:
* Syndicate
* Descent
* Alpha Centauri
* Freelancer

A Syndicate prequal could be interesting, set before the Syndicates were powerful enough to so blatently take over countries, and so would have to be a bit more under-handed in their activities (at least some of the time). Taking over a territory might involve having to choose whether to e.g. assassinate an opponent, bribe a politician, ally with the local mafia, or take out a rival Syndicate will a mini-gun / gauss-gun laden assault squad.

Additionally, I've long thought an RPG-type game set in the Syndicate world could be quite interesting (it would probably be like a more sinister version of Deus Ex).

Grand Theft Auto: Utopia could also be quite good fun.

A Freelancer sequal would benefit from more optional missions, rather than just "Fly to these coordinates and kill some fighters / a specific fighter / and bring back the pilot / destroy this space station". Things like "escort a freighter to another station", "transport some cargo/passengers", "defend a station", etc would be nice.

It would also be nice to have optional missions that took didn't just take place in the same system you got them from, and had multiple stages (like a mini story mission). E.g. you pick up a message at Manhatten to meet someone on Denver. He gives you a package to take to Shikokku. There you join a squadron going to Falklands. Meanwhile, you get a secret message from the Outcasts saying that if you take the package to their base instead, they will give you a big payoff (an obviously a big rep penalty with whatever faction had employed you originally).

Plus of course there is plenty of room for a main story dealing with inter-house conflict, the Outcasts & Corsairs, the other rebel factions, and of course the Nomads (and their creators).

Edited to add:

How about a Knights of the Old Republic remake, using the Mass Effect engine?

Miscast_Mage
2011-05-05, 06:43 PM
Isn't that what Left 4 Dead is? Same multiplayer zombie survival concept just with different lore and a camera change?

ಠ_ಠ
http://imgur.com/3erxD.jpg

Gxzclt. Mpcdzlk ktchsn ztsn! Dqkl sqd lmphnk cktgz!! LMPHNK CKTGZ KTZGLN TSKLD!!

*ahem*

No. No it is not.

But seriously, no. Different focus, different style, different elements... a better comparision would be Halo with Killzone with Half-life. >_>

New suggestion: A remake of the UFO After____ games. I fell head over heels in love with UFO Aftershock. It doesn't help that that real-time tactics as a sub-genre needs more love, let alone that the UFO series has real-time with pause. But I noticed that both Aftershock and Afterlight(I just barely got Aftermath working on my pc, and it was so clunky and buggy that I just gave up trying to get it to work) suffered from bugs in what may be the worst possible way ever. These bugs were:
Silent. The kind of bugs that cut you off from parts of the game or stuff not working the way it should without you even realising it.
As I like to refer to them; Chekovs bugs. The kind of bug that screws something up later because of something you did earlier. Hope you kept a save-file from 8 hours ago!
Game-breaking. Stuff like not being able to access mid/late-game research or the second half of the campaign.
Save-game corrupting. When all the above are done with screwing you over, your save may just up and kill itself, usually when you've put at least 10 hours or so into the game. Yay. -_-"

Most of the bugs tended to be some combination of the above... :smallsigh:

Also, the game really drags on near the end, although there may be more content there and it just bugged out on me so I was stuck doing the same old missions over and over for twice as along as I should have.

Honestly, even a decent patch to fix the bugs would do; the graphics are decent enough already, not that I particularly care.

factotum
2011-05-06, 01:38 AM
I tried UFO: Aftermath and found it to be way too difficult for my tastes. I mean, I completed X-COM: Enemy from the Deep...I *know* difficult. Aftermath seemed to be about that level of difficulty, but only giving you half the troops because you could only fit 7 into the excursion vehicle!

Eldariel
2011-05-16, 10:54 PM
Wow. So, because I made the post about Netstorm here, a fellow working on a remake contacted me. For the interested, see here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199521

zyborg
2011-05-17, 12:08 AM
I've been playing D&D: Shadow Over Mystara. now, that game could use a remake. It is one of the best beat-em-ups ever, with very unique characters and items. However, the endings are too plain, there are a few glitches that need fixing, and the magic/inventory selection needs to have some way of making it easier to switch items/spells in battle.

Hylleddin
2011-05-17, 01:30 AM
How about a Knights of the Old Republic remake, using the Mass Effect engine?

Kotor has too much melee for Mass Effect's gameplay to handle well.

Freelancer definitely needs a sequel.

I'd love Halo with Reach's engine.

I'd like to see Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate as more modern third person games. Yes, heresy, I know, but not everyone who likes Bioware's writing likes isometric RPGs.

Edit: Oh, and Arcanum

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-17, 11:37 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. We spend so much time obsessing over Japanese folkore and culture in RPGs that we never take a look at the OTHER rich cultures and mythologies Asia has to offer!

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-18, 05:35 AM
I'd like to see Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate as more modern third person games. Yes, heresy, I know, but not everyone who likes Bioware's writing likes isometric RPGs.

Planescape: Torment wasn't by Bioware.

jumpywinghim
2011-06-02, 09:19 AM
I was unfortunate enough to be introduced to the Final Fantasy franchise once it was past the apparently "extremely well done, unique and legendary" phase of its life. Heck, the first FF game I played wasn't even a main one, it was Revenant Wings! (not a fan of strategy games here)

Now, I heard in many places that graphics are less important than the finer elements of a game, and I agree, to an extent. Thing is, if the walking mechanic is free instead of platforming, I would personally much prefer the game to be 3D (and in this day and age, a decent 3D, no blocky weirdness).

Thus, I'd like for FF 1 - 9 to be remade in 3D, voice acted, and accompanied with remade music.

If Square Enix has lost its touch, then I'd at least like to see what greatness it had in the past without my bias against graphics kicking in.

Artanis
2011-06-02, 09:34 AM
I have to (x+1)th X-Com: UFO Defense and (y+1)th SMAC, but I don't like the chances of either happening. SMAC's remake potential is particularly bleak due to the fact that it had the worst sales of the entire Civ series* :smallfrown:

*According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri)

Zevox
2011-06-02, 11:08 AM
Thus, I'd like for FF 1 - 9 to be remade in 3D, voice acted, and accompanied with remade music.

If Square Enix has lost its touch, then I'd at least like to see what greatness it had in the past without my bias against graphics kicking in.
Final Fantasy 4 has had that done, on the DS.

Though personally, I'd recommend skipping 8. That was apparently where Square (before the merger with Enix) lost whatever touch they had, and frankly I'd say is the worst in the series. Then again, I haven't really been that impressed even with the Final Fantasy games I've liked (4, the only pre-8 game I've had the chance to play, included), so this is coming from a non-fan of the series.

Zevox

JediSoth
2011-06-02, 11:50 AM
Starflight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight), a sandboxy galactic exploration, trading, diplomacy, combat game with RPG elements. They could make it as sandboxy as the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games with modern graphics, upgradable ships, planetary exploration (w/expansion packs for additional sectors or what-have-you).

J.Gellert
2011-06-02, 11:57 AM
Remake:
Dark Reign (the original one)
Neverwinter Nights (the multiplayer part of it)
Heroes of Might & Magic III (but keep the graphics?)

Sequel:
Jade Empire (naturally)
Alpha Protocol (yes!)
Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines (YES!)

Alchemistmerlin
2011-06-02, 12:51 PM
Remake:
Neverwinter Nights (the multiplayer part of it)

I don't think Neverwinter Nights can ever really happen again. Between the MMO culture, the vibe of WotC/4e, and the rapid shift away from privately hosted servers for most games, it seems like the time for games like that have passed entirely.

Kislath
2011-06-02, 01:29 PM
Tie Fighter & Wolfpack. Those two just cry out to be remade. No, wait, I'm the one crying. Whatever; tears are involved, and they need remaking.
Birth of The Federation could do with a do-over, too.

alchemyprime
2011-06-02, 01:58 PM
Skies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of Arcadia

Oh, and maybe Dragon Warrior Monsters or Final Fantasy V. But mainly
Skies of Arcadia

J.Gellert
2011-06-02, 02:15 PM
I don't think Neverwinter Nights can ever really happen again. Between the MMO culture, the vibe of WotC/4e, and the rapid shift away from privately hosted servers for most games, it seems like the time for games like that have passed entirely.

Yeah, none of the ones I mentioned are possible, let alone likely... My favorite, for example, would be another Vampire game (I'd even take Requiem!) - but they're making a MMO of it.

MMOs are ruining everything! :smalltongue:

Karoht
2011-06-02, 02:35 PM
Final Fantasy 4 has had that done, on the DS.

Though personally, I'd recommend skipping 8. That was apparently where Square (before the merger with Enix) lost whatever touch they had, and frankly I'd say is the worst in the series. Then again, I haven't really been that impressed even with the Final Fantasy games I've liked (4, the only pre-8 game I've had the chance to play, included), so this is coming from a non-fan of the series.

Zevox

If all Square did was port FF7 to the FFX engine (same combat and stat engine, no changes there, just new 3D models and combat graphics as well as world exploration and the like) they would have made a PILE of money. Heck that would still make them a pile of money.

Non-Square related, I would love to see a remake of the Original Super Mario Brothers Games. But, with the ability for fans to create levels of their own and submit them. They could probably do the same for a bunch of other classic franchises. But with modern graphics and controls of course. The Sonic fans would love that.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mega Man
They need a Mega Man game that features ALL of the bosses of ALL of the Mega Man games, and all of their weapons.
It could have all kinds of fun functionality. Feature Proto Man, Zero, Bass and Treble, and (that new guy who I can't remember the name of). Have them all able to collect weapons, rather than just Mega Man (with different effects for each, so you really have to think and chose which weapons you want and which person should carry them), and the ability to rapidly switch between the characters and weapons. The Weapon Swap system from Ratchet and Clank 2 and onward.
Also, some weapon pick ups could be temporary. IE-If Cutman was just a random enemy in a level, you might have to pick up his weapon, you have a limited number of shots (with only one use no matter which character you pick it up with), when you're done solving the puzzle or run out of shots or defeat the mini/boss the weapon fizzles and goes away.
Lastly, feature the ability to combine weapons together for whole new effects.
It would be an incredibly complicated game, with crazy replay value, and it could literally feature EVERYTHING from the Mega Man games.

Leecros
2011-06-02, 02:43 PM
I was going through my old games when i rediscovered Red Baron II. I love this game with a passion and it is quite good for a flying combat simulation at the time and for the time period.

I know flying simulators are on the decline. They're not as popular anymore as other games such as first person shooters and others, although they still do have their fans, but i would pay for a Red Baron III.

GloatingSwine
2011-06-02, 03:12 PM
Skies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of ArcadiaSkies of Arcadia

Oh, and maybe Dragon Warrior Monsters or Final Fantasy V. But mainly
Skies of Arcadia

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Brother Oni
2011-06-02, 04:42 PM

Presumably you're not including the GC remake with additional bosses, quests and new hidden items?

Yeah, none of the ones I mentioned are possible, let alone likely... My favorite, for example, would be another Vampire game (I'd even take Requiem!) - but they're making a MMO of it.

MMOs are ruining everything! :smalltongue:

Well CCP are making it so it's probably not going to be a WoW reskin with the option for sparkly vampires. :smalltongue:

Kane
2011-06-02, 05:15 PM
Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but my thoughts...

X-Com: No. Surprisingly, I really don't think it needs a remake. In my opinion, it has everything it needs to be the game it's trying to be- I'm no (okay, that's a lie,) elitist who adores old graphics or anything, but it seems to function perfectly as is. I don't see new graphics improving anything.

Star Control III: One totally unrelated to the already-existing SCIII. Because that never happened. Ideally this would be made by Toys For Bob as well, instead of... Well. Let's talk no more of such horrid things.

Planescape Torment: Just started playing that recently, and rather impressed with it. Not just the writing (It's a TSR/Black Isle game.) but also with what they managed with the resources of the day. It does not hold X-Com's vaunted quality, though, and I could see it benefited from improved graphics.

System Shock 2: Less buggy, same game, better graphics. That's all I ask.

System Shock 1: Please. Better controls and graphics. Otherwise it's quite good.

Dungeon Keeper. I know there was a sequel, but... Sigh.

And more, naturally. My listing is impaired by my memory.

alchemyprime
2011-06-02, 06:25 PM
Presumably you're not including the GC remake with additional bosses, quests and new hidden items?

Remake that. Add more. Make it for PS3. HD. Awesomer. LOOPERS FOR THE LOOPER GOD, SACRI FOR THE SACRI THRONE!

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

You may once I make one.

Knaight
2011-06-02, 07:53 PM
I'm going to look at a non videogame.

The Quest series. Basically, they were choose your own adventure books, but with die rolling and character statistics, and they had a lot of style. Unfortunately, the structure was unimpressive, and they are nigh impossible to acquire after going out of print, if the structuring could be fixed up and the various books that all link to each other put in one larger book it would be awesome. Moreover, it would work incredibly as an e-book, now that we have the technology to do that.

Triaxx
2011-06-02, 08:15 PM
Actually, I'd love to see X-Com in the hands of Bay12games. :D

That'd be AWESOME.

And I'm not entirely sure I'd be happy about CCP doing Vampire. It might, pardon the pun, be too bloodthirsty and cutthroat.

Shpadoinkle
2011-06-02, 08:34 PM
River City Ransom.

YES, it got a remake for the GBA a few years ago, but they did some things oddly (reputation drove me nuts...) The ability to recruit defeated gang leaders was pretty cool, though some of them are a huge pain in the ass to get.

What I'd love to see is an online game with the original graphics (maybe with some more clothing style options to help differentiate characters,) online play that includes free-for-alls and a sort of 'conquest' mode where you and your gang (made up largely of other players, with the rest of your gang being controlled by the computer so you always have a minimum of so many members in a given gang- maybe 4 or 5, with NPC members replaced by PC characters until the minimum number of members is met) attempt to expand your territory over the city.

J.Gellert
2011-06-03, 04:47 AM
Well CCP are making it so it's probably not going to be a WoW reskin with the option for sparkly vampires. :smalltongue:

I've heard both good and terrible things about CCP... But even if it's a fun game, and has a compelling storyline, it's going to be ruined the first time you come across a vampire called "EdwardLUV99xxx" :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-06-03, 04:58 AM
I'm going to look at a non videogame.

The Quest series. Basically, they were choose your own adventure books, but with die rolling and character statistics, and they had a lot of style. Unfortunately, the structure was unimpressive, and they are nigh impossible to acquire after going out of print, if the structuring could be fixed up and the various books that all link to each other put in one larger book it would be awesome. Moreover, it would work incredibly as an e-book, now that we have the technology to do that.

Have you tried the Fighting Fantasy series? They're quite awesome, and the more modern editions have dice at the base of the pages so that you don't even need dice.

*huggles her fighting fantasy books* :smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2011-06-03, 06:57 AM
I've heard both good and terrible things about CCP... But even if it's a fun game, and has a compelling storyline, it's going to be ruined the first time you come across a vampire called "EdwardLUV99xxx" :smalltongue:

Who is probably going to be suicide ganked (or whatever the Vampire MMO equivalent will be) at every single opportunity. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2011-06-03, 09:45 AM
An improved remake, and not a sequel?
Freespace series would be nice.

deuxhero
2011-06-03, 10:03 AM
With the reality of dumbing down any wiff of complication in todays market, none of them.

If we could get them without dumbing them down.

Fallout 1+Fallout 2, maintaining turnbasedness and isometric view. Great games, but the interface (wheel inventory...) and speed of gameplay (The unskipable long animations and every enemy moveing one at a time.)

J.Gellert
2011-06-04, 03:29 AM
Who is probably going to be suicide ganked (or whatever the Vampire MMO equivalent will be) at every single opportunity. :smallbiggrin:

I guess people might get the game just for the opportunity to do that themselves :smallbiggrin:

groz_nez
2011-06-08, 04:04 AM
Firstly if remake of game like Baldur's Gate II would mean it would be converted to fully 3D engine among other things like full voice acting. Then I would be absolutely against it. Personally I have failed see what was the major advantage, when Bioware discarded Infinity engine and replaced it with Aurora engine. For me Neverwinter Nights was large step backwards in every major aspect of computer role-playing games. Including things like story, characters, cool items player could acquire, user interface and so on...

By the way for anyone who has graphics related problems when running Infinity engine games with newer Nvidia Cards might want to check here:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/30840-ie-games-and-nvidia-series-8-video-cards/?

And now the actual games

Remake:

1. Master Of Orion 3 (everyone who has played this game knows why).

2. Fallout 3 (I'm not saying this game doesn't have its moments but for me it was mostly major let down).

Sequels:

1. Swat 4 + The Stetchkov Syndicate expansion (I have to say I'm very surprised and disappointed nobody has mentioned this game. In this game "enemies" are suspects (innocent until proven guilty :smallwink:) and player can't just shoot them on sight (okay, you can but you will also miss the whole point of the game). I really don't know any other modern FPS in which mission is most successful when nobody dies including enem- I mean suspects. :smallcool:

2. Transport Tycoon Deluxe (amazing business simulation similar to Railroad Tycoon but you can also build road vehicles, aircraft, ships. Also it is not short game as game time spans from year 1930 to 2050. This means you begin with lousy steam engines and end with trains that run on magnetic rails. Although after early game it is mainly a game about how to maximize your company's income without any real possibility of bankruptcy.) Also I'm aware it has "spiritual" successor Chris Sawyer's Locomotion. Of course there is OpenTTD which could be called some sort of remake. As far as I'm concerned that is how they should do remakes of old classics. Rather than removing or changing things that work perfectly, they have added loads of useful new features, fixed bugs and modernized game so that it is easy to install and run on modern computers.

Lot of games I'd like have sequel have been already mentioned. To name a few: Jagged Alliance 2, Masters Of Magic (although OpenTTDing it would also work fine), Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Severance: Blade Of Darkness.

Eldan
2011-06-08, 06:17 AM
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

I wouldn't call it a remake. I'd call it "the finished game". But yeah. Cut out half the sewer level, and I'd already be impressed.

Corvus
2011-06-08, 07:00 AM
Emperor of the Fading Suns -- would love to be able to play this with better AI and modern graphics.

Heck yeah. Even with all its faults it is still easily one of my favourite games.

The soundtrack would not need to be touched - it suited the game perfectly. And can you imagine the into with modern CGI?

KingofMadCows
2011-06-08, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't call it a remake. I'd call it "the finished game". But yeah. Cut out half the sewer level, and I'd already be impressed.

But the sewers are the only way for the Nosferatu to get around.

LansXero
2011-06-08, 02:41 PM
I wish there were an expansion or remake for Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. 3 was... not so good. 2 was a blast, but needed more maps / attractions

Knaight
2011-06-09, 04:57 AM
Have you tried the Fighting Fantasy series? They're quite awesome, and the more modern editions have dice at the base of the pages so that you don't even need dice.

*huggles her fighting fantasy books* :smallbiggrin:
I haven't, though I have meant to. Still, Quest has its own, very particular style, which is a large part of why it should have a remake, and I somehow doubt Fighting Fantasy is close enough to fill the same niche.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-06-10, 09:45 AM
I haven't, though I have meant to. Still, Quest has its own, very particular style, which is a large part of why it should have a remake, and I somehow doubt Fighting Fantasy is close enough to fill the same niche.

Just as an aside;

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

These are the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks all archived online for your enjoyment. :smallbiggrin:

Similar, I believe, to what you guys are talking about.

Edit: Speaking of which...I'm going to make an adventure books thread.

Edit Edit: Also it appears the Quest series has been re-published as "Fabled Lands" and is back in print as of 2010, with "new" (never published) books either out or coming out.

alchemyprime
2011-06-13, 11:42 AM
Hm... I was thinking... Does anyone else want an updated Pokemon Snap?

SmartAlec
2011-06-13, 11:58 AM
Wing Commander! The original.

Muz
2011-06-13, 12:46 PM

Who drops candy? Candy is much too valuable to drop. Most people EAT candy, as dropping it on the ground diminishes its value and utility. :smallwink:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (I'm only midway through the thread), but I'd love a new Wing Commander, back in the Kilrathi War. (Edit: I've now read through the whole thread. I'm amused that I posted RIGHT after someone else mentioned it, without even realizing it.) :smalltongue:

Another edit:

Starflight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight), a sandboxy galactic exploration, trading, diplomacy, combat game with RPG elements. They could make it as sandboxy as the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games with modern graphics, upgradable ships, planetary exploration (w/expansion packs for additional sectors or what-have-you).

Yes, Starflight. (I can't believe I forgot.) Very much so. I miss the Spemin. (Damn their newfound ECM technology!) :smallwink:

Sipex
2011-06-13, 12:48 PM
Originally I would've said Luigi's Mansion.

But we're getting a new one so...I don't know now. I'm looking forward to the supposive FF6 remake as it will be my first foray into playing the game without horrendous lag.

alchemyprime
2011-06-13, 12:48 PM
Who drops candy? Candy is much too valuable to drop. Most people EAT candy, as dropping it on the ground diminishes its value and utility. :smallwink:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (I'm only midway through the thread), but I'd love a new Wing Commander, back in the Kilrathi War.

He's right you know. I normally don't like to drop candies.

Space Station Silicon Valley should be redone.

The Orange Zergling
2011-06-13, 01:07 PM
I wish there were an expansion or remake for Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. 3 was... not so good. 2 was a blast, but needed more maps / attractions

Honestly, if 2 just had a proper sandbox mode with unlimited money, I would be the happiest person ever. :smallcool:

My vote goes for XCOM. I'm in the middle of playing through the Steam version for the first time and noticing a really great game mired by tons of annoyances, some of which have no business not being fixed now that our technology is good enough to handle them (low-resolution graphics that frequently make things hard to see, buttons not having tooltips, not listing how much TU it's going to cost to perform an action before you do it, misclicks being incredibly easy, etc.), and some of which would probably get me lynched if I actually mentioned wanting to change them because they're rather central to the game. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2011-06-13, 01:09 PM
Space Station Silicon Valley should be redone.
Hey, I'm not the only person in the world who remembers that game. Neat. :smallsmile:

Zevox

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-06-13, 01:13 PM
My vote goes for XCOM. I'm in the middle of playing through the Steam version for the first time and noticing a really great game mired by tons of annoyances, some of which have no business not being fixed now that our technology is good enough to handle them (low-resolution graphics that frequently make things hard to see, buttons not having tooltips, not listing how much TU it's going to cost to perform an action before you do it, misclicks being incredibly easy, etc.), and some of which would probably get me lynched if I actually mentioned wanting to change them because they're rather central to the game. :smalltongue:
Heard of UFO: Alien Invasion (http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/About)?

The Orange Zergling
2011-06-13, 01:54 PM
Heard of UFO: Alien Invasion (http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/About)?

I've heard it mentioned in passing once or twice, but I've never actually checked it out. Perhaps I ought to go do that. :smallcool:

Wardog
2011-06-23, 04:07 PM
Just as an aside;

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

These are the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks all archived online for your enjoyment. :smallbiggrin:

I have to say that personally, I wasn't very keen on the Lone Wolf books.

I didn't like the combat system, which treated all combats as a single enemy, regardless of whether it was a single boss or a gang of thirty mooks (and meant that with a min-maxed build and lucky rolls, you could insta-kill a three mini-boss encounter in one strike).

I also didn't like the way I kept being told how horrified and nauseated I was whenever I realized I was looking at the spawning vats where the mooks were created, or when I realized that a bunch of mooks were chowing down on some mook-meat.

(Compared to that, periodically being effectively asked "Did you buy the book where you can get the Sword of I Win? If yes, you can skip this fight. If not, boy are you in trouble!" was a pretty minor complaint).

Alchemistmerlin
2011-06-23, 04:19 PM
I have to say that personally, I wasn't very keen on the Lone Wolf books.

I didn't like the combat system, which treated all combats as a single enemy, regardless of whether it was a single boss or a gang of thirty mooks (and meant that with a min-maxed build and lucky rolls, you could insta-kill a three mini-boss encounter in one strike).

I also didn't like the way I kept being told how horrified and nauseated I was whenever I realized I was looking at the spawning vats where the mooks were created, or when I realized that a bunch of mooks were chowing down on some mook-meat.

(Compared to that, periodically being effectively asked "Did you buy the book where you can get the Sword of I Win? If yes, you can skip this fight. If not, boy are you in trouble!" was a pretty minor complaint).

Ooh you should definitely join in on the discussion
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202626)

Artanis
2011-06-26, 09:37 AM
One that I just thought of: Star Wars Rebellion. While Star Wars Rebellion really wasn't that good, I think an update of it with improved technology and design would have the potential to be awesome.

factotum
2011-06-26, 11:35 AM
Well, yes, there are probably *loads* of rubbish games that have the potential to be better if remade... :smallwink:

CotV
2011-06-26, 12:22 PM
Dragon Force from the Sega Saturn, Such a great game!

Sharoth
2011-06-30, 11:13 PM
Red Storm Rising

Daverin
2011-06-30, 11:40 PM
One that I just thought of: Star Wars Rebellion. While Star Wars Rebellion really wasn't that good, I think an update of it with improved technology and design would have the potential to be awesome.

WHAT?!?! NOOO, ALL LIEZ!!!

Nah, I jest. But seriously, I didn't feel it was that bad of a game. Although I certainly could agree with the sentiment that it could use a remake. If nothing else, it would be nice for the bulwark battlecruisers to show up in regular Star Wars canon, just because I thought they were strangely cool.

iyaerP
2011-07-02, 01:16 AM
Covert Action.

Not just cuz it was the VERY FIRST sneaking/spy game where you basically play as james bond, but because it was also rediculously open world.

If you want to ignore your orders, fly to moscow and make a suicide attack on the KBG headquarters, YOU CAN.

You can also do all the expected stuff of painstakingly tracking down leads, figuring out "whodunnit" and eventually capturing all of the evil terrorists.