PDA

View Full Version : Fiend of Possession(s)

Stallion
2011-04-20, 06:23 PM
So, I've drawn up three different builds (each with a similar concept but with different personality types) for a Fiend of Possession, but I can't decide on which I would like to play. I fell in love with the class when I read through it and even more when I realized that I didn't have to be an imp or anything extremely exotic to qualify for the class. My DM, seeing my enthusiasm, helped me in my quest to play this (he was curious as to how this would affect gameplay) by allowing me to be a person (human with the Otherworldly feat) that had volunteered for a mass Ritual of Alignment that a cult of Asmodeus was undergoing.

All of these builds have a Lawful Evil Venerable Human as the race.

Build 1
8 shaper/1 monk/6 fiend of possession/5 ectopic adept
1: Shaper, Otherworldly, Quicken Power, Feeble, Stealthy, Curious, Skill Focus: Hide
2: Monk, Stunning Fist
3: Shaper, Carmendine Monk
4: FoP
5: FoP
6: Shaper, Ectopic Form: Emerald Gyre
7: Ectopic Adept
8: Ectopic Adept, Aerial Alabaster
9: FoP, Ability Focus: Possession
10: FoP
11: FoP
12: FoP, Practiced Manifester
13: Ectopic Adept
14: Ectopic Adept, Amber Tunneller
15: Ectopic Adept, Quicken Supernatural Ability (yes, not a real feat, but the DM has approved it)
16-20: Shaper, 18th level feat is Boost Construct.

This guy would be a cultist of Asmodeus that currently is infiltrating the Zealots of the Written Word. The main attraction here is the ability to possess things while being able to almost continuously toss out Astral Constructs before either joining the fray as an animated object or a possessed enemy/ally. I intend to break the action slightly with Temporal Acceleration as well as keep a bit of blasting power via Psionic Disintegrate at higher levels. Other powers will be mainly just the useful general stuff.

Build 2
4 Paladin of Tyranny/8 factotum/2 conjurer/6 fiend of possession/1 mindbender
1: PoT, Otherworldly, Empower Supernatural Ability, Frail, Stealthy, Curious, Skill Focus: Hide
2: PoT
3: Factotum, Font of Inspiration
4: Fiend of Possession
6: Conjurer, Abrupt Jaunt, Ability Focus: Possession
7: Mindbender
8: FoP
9: FoP, Mindsight
10: FoP
12: PoT, Quicken Supernatural Ability
13: Factotum
14: Factotum
15: PoT, Divine Might
16-20: Factotum, 18th level feat is Font of Inspiration
This one would be more evasive than the other versions, abusing Surge of Inspiration and Abrupt Jaunt to move from item to person to person to item… you get it. Mindsight is a HUGE boon, as is telepathy for communicating with others while possessing things. And all of the fun shenanigans one can have with telepathy.

Build 3
3 Paladin of Tyranny/2 bard/6 fiend of possession/9 warblade
1: Bard, Otherworldly, Extra Music, Frail, Empower Supernatural Ability, Merciless, Skill Focus: Hide
2: PoT
3: PoT, Doomspeak
4: Warblade
6: FoP, Song of the White Raven
7: PoT
8: Warblade
9: Warblade, Dragonfire Inspiration
10: Warblade
12: FoP, Ability Focus: Possession
13: FoP
14: FoP
15: Warblade, Quicken Supernatural Ability
16: Warblade
17: Warblade
18: Bard, Lingering Song
19-20: Warblade

Most martial of the builds, this one focuses on buffing and debuffing with Doomspeak, his Aura of Despair, Inspire Courage, and Dragonfire Inspiration. Martial maneuvers, particularly the White Raven school, are this characters friends.

Now, I like all of these, and I'm kinda paralyzed as to which one I would like to play. So, playgrounders, I would like your opinions on each of these builds. What can I do to improve them? Which ones do you personally like/think would be the most fun to play?

Prime32
2011-04-20, 06:51 PM
You need the [Evil] subtype to qualify, not just an evil alignment. Getting that can be tricky, and it doesn't come in many places you'd expect (like tieflings).

Dvati* is the best race for FoP, since it makes all their weaknesses irrelevant.

*An LA +1 race from Dragon Compendium taking the form of a pair of twins with half hp, who share treasure and have some restrictions on actions.

Stallion
2011-04-20, 07:08 PM
You need the [Evil] subtype to qualify, not just an evil alignment. Getting that can be tricky, and it doesn't come in many places you'd expect (like tieflings).

Dvati* is the best race for FoP, since it makes all their weaknesses irrelevant.

*An LA +1 race from Dragon Compendium taking the form of a pair of twins with half hp, who share treasure and have some restrictions on actions.

Which the Ritual of Alignment gives. And which my character has participated in via backstory.

As for Dvati, my DM already rejected it. Too cheesy.