PDA

View Full Version : Creating psuedo-undead

Tvtyrant
2011-04-20, 07:48 PM
How many different ways are there to create things that appear to be undead but do not have the undead type?

I so far have:
Flesh Golem
Animated Object: Dead Body

LOTRfan
2011-04-20, 07:59 PM
Cadaver Golem.
Homunculi, depending on what substances are used.
In earlier editions, the Eyes of Fear and Flame were actually Outsiders.
Speaking of Outsiders, there are a bunch of undead-looking demons.

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 08:01 PM
There's an actual like, skull-snake construct that's there specifically to get clerics who are unwary to mistake it for an undead and waste a turn undead attempt... can't recall the source offhand though.

Volthawk
2011-04-20, 08:06 PM
There's an actual like, skull-snake construct that's there specifically to get clerics who are unwary to mistake it for an undead and waste a turn undead attempt... can't recall the source offhand though.

Necrophidius, from the Fiend Folio.

holywhippet
2011-04-20, 08:09 PM
In theory you could use an illusion spell to make something look like an undead.

I've long thought you could pull a trick on an unwary party - have them fight some bodyguards that are undead with illusion spells to make them seem normal. The characters with sneak attack would think they are doing great damage, but actually they aren't.

WinWin
2011-04-20, 08:09 PM
Yellow Musk Zombies. Requires Druid and SNA 4.

mabriss lethe
2011-04-20, 10:35 PM
Hellwasp swarm

NNescio
2011-04-20, 10:43 PM
How many different ways are there to create things that appear to be undead but do not have the undead type?

I so far have:
Flesh Golem
Animated Object: Dead Body

Bone Golem? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0576.html)

Thurbane
2011-04-20, 11:25 PM
Half-vampires appear quite undead.

Also, the Tomb Tainted Soul feat chain gives an undead appearance...

Malimar
2011-04-21, 12:11 AM
Myconid Sovereigns can use Animation Spores to create servants, which are like zombies in every way except that they retain their previous type and can't be Turned.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-21, 12:15 AM
I forgot about the bone golem! What is the cadaver golem from?

NNescio
2011-04-21, 12:39 AM
I forgot about the bone golem! What is the cadaver golem from?

Heroes of Horror. Can also be found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=6)

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-21, 01:47 AM
Deathless from Eberron. You're dead, but you have the [deathless] type rather than [undead]. You get healed by positive and hurt by negative. Rebuking Clerics turn them, and vice versa. Might be a shock for PCs to try and turn one and end up buffing it instead.

Coidzor
2011-04-21, 03:35 AM
Being rebuked generally isn't a buff, per se. :smallconfused:

Where are the rules on turning and deathless found anyway?

NNescio
2011-04-21, 04:07 AM
Being rebuked generally isn't a buff, per se. :smallconfused:

Where are the rules on turning and deathless found anyway?

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html)

On a more serious note...

Eberron Campaign Setting, or the Book of Exalted Cheese Deeds, Page 158, Lines 5-8.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-21, 12:12 PM
So my basic plan is to have the slow moving army of undead (cliche I know) and have psuedo-undead sprinkled throughout the army. They have the specific goal of killing Cleric whenever they try to turn the undead and Wizards when they try to Command them, and as undead are kinda meh they tend to be stronger then the actual mindless undead. The Myconid and golems are probably the best ones as they are either cheap to make or psuedo-immune to magic.