PDA

View Full Version : Monster Feats

Retech
2011-04-20, 07:48 PM
Can a PC (or a PC that is playing a monstrous class) take monster feats? My GM is extremely by the book, and requires that it explicitly says in RAW that a PC is allowed to take monster feats.

It's best to find Pathfinder RAW, but I'm sure some good 3.5 RAW would move him in that direction as well.

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 08:08 PM
I'm afraid the argument is pretty much a form of 'it doesn't say I can't.' Basically, you check what the PHB says about feats, which is "Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he gains the prerequisite." Then you take a look at the section that has the feats you are interested, which will tell you if there are any other general conditions you have to meet that won't be in the Prerequisites line. For example, [Psionic] feats carry the general restriction "Psionic feats are available only to characters and creatures with the ability to manifest powers. (In other words, they either have a power point reserve or have psi-like abilities.)" If the source for the feats doesn't say something like that, then you only have to meet the conditions of the Prerequisites line in the feat itself, regardless of where it was printed.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5 FAQ question regarding druids and 'monster' feats, specifically Improved Natural Attack, and the answer was an unqualified "yes, you can do that."

LOTRfan
2011-04-20, 08:11 PM
Savage Species to the rescue! Yes, standard races can use monstrous feats.

Retech
2011-04-20, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone!

Grimedearth
2011-04-20, 08:28 PM
Speaking as the GM in question, yes I will allow monstrous feats in the pathfinder game. However the feats (like most others) have prerequisites, many of which are "monster" which may be satisfied by say a... kobold but not necessarily by an oread (though other's interpretation may differ and it IS my first time DMing so I may very well be wrong). On a slightly different note, just because I refuse to allow you to gut a class feature and add a bonus to another one does not make me "extremely by the book".