PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Axe?

Firechanter
2011-04-20, 08:25 PM
One of my players wants to play a dwarf beatstick (crusader or warblade) with a big honking axe.

Any suggestions what I should recommend to him, outside the core weapons?

Ideally, something that qualifies as axe but has reach. Otherwise, something that deals a lot of damage should do.

Leon
2011-04-20, 08:52 PM
Umbrean Waraxe From IKRPG - 2d8 Damage with a Double weapon component of a spear in the hafts end.

No reach but its a Martial Weapon surprisingly given its size of damage and the spear part.

Coidzor
2011-04-20, 08:52 PM
Biggest Axe is Best Axe!

There is at least one exotic weapon polearm that is an axe in the oodles and boodles of things between the body of 3.5 and Dragon material. I think two, maybe three if you count lochaber axes.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-20, 09:10 PM
I think I remember seeing an axe with reach in Races of Stone. And in any case a normal Greataxe is a great weapon.

IthroZada
2011-04-20, 09:15 PM
I think I remember seeing an axe with reach in Races of Stone. And in any case a normal Greataxe is a great weapon.

Dwarven Warpike, page 155. It's exotic, so that might be limiting.

JaronK
2011-04-20, 09:21 PM
The Longaxe is a two handed axe that gives reach if you Power Attack enough.

JaronK

Amnestic
2011-04-20, 09:23 PM
The best axe is the one you never have to swing.

I respectfully disagree. The best axe is the one you only have to swing once. That's how Dad did it. That's how America does it. And it's worked out pretty well so far.

Classic greataxe is made of awesome

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-20, 09:23 PM
Greataxe is the best. Everything else is exotic and requires a feat.

big teej
2011-04-20, 09:24 PM
in one of the completes or 'races of' books there is a weapon called a 'long axe' which can be used as a reach weapon while still attacking adjacent creatures.

HunterOfJello
2011-04-20, 09:28 PM
Longaxe is just like the Greataxe, but gains Reach 10 for the round if you do a Power Attack for at least 3. That's pretty awesome since you'll likely have Power Attack if you're an axe user anyway.

Dwarven Waraxe is also an amazing axe if you happen to be a dwarf. Free proficiency with a 1d10 weapon that is great in one or two hands is pretty cool.

Zaq
2011-04-20, 11:08 PM
The Ice Axe (the one in Spell Compendium, not Frostburn) is clearly the best.

Oh, you meant one that you DON'T get to make touch attacks with? Eh, I like the normal greataxe, just because it's a solid two-hander that doesn't require a feat.

That said, if I ever make a Warblade or other character who can get away with sword-and-board style melee tactics, I'd like to see a one-handed axe with a shield. That's just not something that comes up very often, but I like the image. (My experience with Guild Wars has likely colored my perception of it, but hey, why does it always have to be SWORD and board? Just because it doesn't rhyme doesn't mean it can't work . . .)

Greenish
2011-04-21, 04:32 AM
Dwarven Warpike, page 155. It's exotic, so that might be limiting.A dwarf can swap their weapon familiarity from Dwarven Waraxe to any other racial weapon, as per CW.

[Edit]: Looking at the warpike, it might be the best choice if you're a dwarf and want an axe with reach. Warpike trips, braces and has the good 2h damage. Also two damage types.

Firechanter
2011-04-21, 04:36 AM
In which book do I find the Longaxe? I remember seeing it before, but I can't remember where.

Please always cite the source when referring to noncore material, I don't know all this stuff by heart. Thanks. =)

Greenish
2011-04-21, 04:40 AM
In which book do I find the Longaxe? I remember seeing it before, but I can't remember where.CAdv, page 115.

[Edit]: For completeness' sake, one could mention the heavy poleaxe from CW. It's identical to Dwarven Warpike except it can't trip and you can't get weapon familiarity to it.

Firechanter
2011-04-21, 05:38 AM
Great, then my first recommendation to him will be the Dwarven Warpike, if he sticks to his plan of playing a Dwarf. Thanks to Weapon Familiarity he won't have to pay a feat for it, and it should be sufficiently axey for him.
Otherwise, the Longaxe looks like a good choice as well.