PDA

View Full Version : Early Entry

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-20, 08:32 PM
What are some ways that I could gain early entry into Tainted Scholar? Particularly it's the skill ranks that I'm worried about. I can't seem to find a way around them without expending feats.

If anyone knows of a way to enter early, preferably without the expenditure of feats then that would be helpful.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-20, 08:36 PM
I think that the Canibalize ability of the Dusk Giant MIGHT work; but this begs the question: Why do you want early entry into which is arguably the most broken prestige class (sans monster "only" classes such as beholder mage) in D&D

Aspenor
2011-04-20, 08:38 PM
Bloodline class levels. Since they don't count toward your ECL (http://gameschat19968.yuku.com/topic/2348), but raise your max skill ranks, take all 3 (or 6, or 10, or whatever) at level 1 and spend only 1k xp per bloodline level. Then use your skill points gained from actual levels that increase ECL to access early.

Thurbane
2011-04-20, 11:32 PM
The Primary Contact feat (Cityscape) allows you to exceed a max skill rank by 1 (but only for that level). If you can get the feat at 4th level (say, using Human Paragon), you could pump your Concentration to 8, and take your 5th level as Tainted Scholar.

Keld Denar
2011-04-20, 11:48 PM
The BEST way to cheat skill prereqs is to hire a 9th+ level bard, especially one with Words of Creation and Songs of the Heart, to Inspire Greatness in you. While under the effects of your 5-6 bonus temp HD (depending on where you apply the doubling), pay a Psion to Psychic Reform you. Gratz, you can now dump all of your skill points in one or two skills, allowing you to qualify for 6th-7th level PrCs at level 2.

Of course, this is so DM dependant, its barely worth noting, but yea...its simply, cheap, and permanent.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-21, 11:20 AM
Bloodline class levels. Since they don't count toward your ECL (http://gameschat19968.yuku.com/topic/2348), but raise your max skill ranks, take all 3 (or 6, or 10, or whatever) at level 1 and spend only 1k xp per bloodline level. Then use your skill points gained from actual levels that increase ECL to access early.

Could you explain this a little more? I've never had a perfect understanding of bloodlines and their relationship to ECL and level-based effects, and even after going and rereading the whole bloodlines section of UA I still am somewhat confused.

Aspenor
2011-04-21, 06:34 PM
;10829650']Could you explain this a little more? I've never had a perfect understanding of bloodlines and their relationship to ECL and level-based effects, and even after going and rereading the whole bloodlines section of UA I still am somewhat confused.

Bloodlines have no relationship to ECL. Bloodline class levels simply do not count toward your ECL. They do boost things such as caster level, binder level, and maximum skill ranks. You do not get BAB, saves, skill points, or class features. You must spend enough XP to get to your next level, at latest, by the table given in the bloodlines section. In exchange for spending this XP, you get the benefits of the bloodline when you reach the appropriate ECL as per the table of the bloodline you choose.

You must buy at least 3 bloodline class levels for a major bloodline. The first by 6, the second by 12, the last by 18. Each bloodline class level increases caster level, binding level, and other level dependent stuff. You get no BAB, saves, skills, spells, etc.

However, since the text does not state that you MUST take bloodline class levels at 6, 12, and 18. It says you must have one by the time you reach that level. Therefore, you start at level 1. You buy bloodline levels (you can even have more than 1 bloodline) and buy them all at level 1 for 1000 xp (the amount to level to 2) each. Then you never have to take another one again. You can by a level 1 wizard with caster level 13 and maximum skill ranks of 15 if you like. That's taking 3 bloodlines and buying off all 12 levels at level 1 for 12k total xp.

You then utilize the fact that experience is a river, and by the time you are around level 8 you have caught up to the party in XP, you have a caster level of 20, maximum skill ranks of 23, and 8 levels of bloodline toys with 12 more levels to which you look forward.

Aemoh87
2011-04-21, 06:45 PM
;10826067']What are some ways that I could gain early entry into Tainted Scholar? Particularly it's the skill ranks that I'm worried about. I can't seem to find a way around them without expending feats.

If anyone knows of a way to enter early, preferably without the expenditure of feats then that would be helpful.

I am sorry but this is the worst question I have ever heard in my life. But lets reword it just for fun.

What are some ways that I could break 3.5?
What are some ways that I could gain early entry into the hospital for head wounds because my DM assaulted me?

But seriously, really? REALLY?

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-21, 09:03 PM
Bloodlines have no relationship to ECL. Bloodline class levels simply do not count toward your ECL. They do boost things such as caster level, binder level, and maximum skill ranks. You do not get BAB, saves, skill points, or class features. You must spend enough XP to get to your next level, at latest, by the table given in the bloodlines section. In exchange for spending this XP, you get the benefits of the bloodline when you reach the appropriate ECL as per the table of the bloodline you choose.

You must buy at least 3 bloodline class levels for a major bloodline. The first by 6, the second by 12, the last by 18. Each bloodline class level increases caster level, binding level, and other level dependent stuff. You get no BAB, saves, skills, spells, etc.

However, since the text does not state that you MUST take bloodline class levels at 6, 12, and 18. It says you must have one by the time you reach that level. Therefore, you start at level 1. You buy bloodline levels (you can even have more than 1 bloodline) and buy them all at level 1 for 1000 xp (the amount to level to 2) each. Then you never have to take another one again. You can by a level 1 wizard with caster level 13 and maximum skill ranks of 15 if you like. That's taking 3 bloodlines and buying off all 12 levels at level 1 for 12k total xp.

You then utilize the fact that experience is a river, and by the time you are around level 8 you have caught up to the party in XP, you have a caster level of 20, maximum skill ranks of 23, and 8 levels of bloodline toys with 12 more levels to which you look forward.

Thank you for this explanation, it has cleared things up considerably. There is only one point upon which I disagree with you, and that is this. The SRD says, "A 3rd-level monk/3rd-level sorcerer with two bloodline levels would be treated as a 5th-level spellcaster and a 5th-level monk for determining level-based abilities." Your examples seem to contradict this. I think that a 1st level wizard could only have a caster level of four with all of the blood line levels. Therefore I also believe that the said 1st level wizard could only have a maximum of seven skill ranks as well.

If you would care to explain your reasoning then I would be grateful.

Aspenor
2011-04-21, 09:38 PM
;10833920']Thank you for this explanation, it has cleared things up considerably. There is only one point upon which I disagree with you, and that is this. The SRD says, "A 3rd-level monk/3rd-level sorcerer with two bloodline levels would be treated as a 5th-level spellcaster and a 5th-level monk for determining level-based abilities." Your examples seem to contradict this. I think that a 1st level wizard could only have a caster level of four with all of the blood line levels. Therefore I also believe that the said 1st level wizard could only have a maximum of seven skill ranks as well.

If you would care to explain your reasoning then I would be grateful.

My reasoning is that there is nothing in the bloodlines rules that says you can only have one bloodline. My example is a 1st level wizard with 4 different major bloodlines. He has 12 bloodline levels, which is 4 bloodlines x 3 bloodline levels = 12 total. I was wrong with a little maths, he has maximum skill ranks in class skills of 16. He does have a caster level of 13.

Another example, consider a 3 Wizard/1 Binder/10 Anima Mage (level 14 ECL). Give him 4 different major bloodlines, and buy them all off at level 2 when you are a 1 Wizard/1 Binder. You have a minimum caster level of 25, an EBL of 23, maximum skill ranks of 29, and all the bonuses granted by your bloodlines for 1st through 14th level.

The rules are unclear whether bloodline levels can advance class level for classes you do not yet have, so I went with the strict reading. Arguably, you could buy all your bloodline levels off at level 1 for only 12k XP and get all the above stuff.

I do not actually advocate trying to pull this off on a DM, but it's an interesting mental exercise. You might get a DM to pass off one bloodline, but more than that gets stupid.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-22, 08:01 AM
My reasoning is that there is nothing in the bloodlines rules that says you can only have one bloodline. My example is a 1st level wizard with 4 different major bloodlines. He has 12 bloodline levels, which is 4 bloodlines x 3 bloodline levels = 12 total. I was wrong with a little maths, he has maximum skill ranks in class skills of 16. He does have a caster level of 13.

Another example, consider a 3 Wizard/1 Binder/10 Anima Mage (level 14 ECL). Give him 4 different major bloodlines, and buy them all off at level 2 when you are a 1 Wizard/1 Binder. You have a minimum caster level of 25, an EBL of 23, maximum skill ranks of 29, and all the bonuses granted by your bloodlines for 1st through 14th level.

The rules are unclear whether bloodline levels can advance class level for classes you do not yet have, so I went with the strict reading. Arguably, you could buy all your bloodline levels off at level 1 for only 12k XP and get all the above stuff.

I do not actually advocate trying to pull this off on a DM, but it's an interesting mental exercise. You might get a DM to pass off one bloodline, but more than that gets stupid.

Ah. I missed the multiple bloodlines factor. Thank you.