PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Spell Failure Prevention Feat?

zoobob9
2011-04-20, 09:34 PM
Is there any feat that would reduce or completely prevent arcane spell failure? If there isn't, I was thinking of either treating it like armor proficiency feats (different ones for light, medium, and heavy armor), or each time the feat is taken it reduces the chance by X%. any thoughts?

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 09:35 PM
There's Battle Caster, which improves any ability you already have to cast in armor (eg, if you can cast in light armor as per a Bard, Dread Necro, or Warlock, Battle Caster lets you ignore ASF from Medium) but that's the only feat I know of to do it. All the other methods are class features or item properties.

JaronK
2011-04-20, 10:10 PM
Yeah, the rest are class features or items. The Runesmith (RoS) gets rid of it entirely. Spellsword reduces it heavily. The Nimbleness enchantment reduces it, as does Thistledown Padding and Mithral armor.

JaronK

iDesu
2011-04-20, 10:23 PM
If what Jaronk posted isn't enough then there are also two Pathfinder feats that will reduce your ASF, however they apparently cost you your swift action that round.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-training-combat

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-mastery-combat

Mad Wizard
2011-04-20, 10:25 PM
Other class/item options: Feycraft from the DMG2 (maybe Gishcraft as well, I can't remember), Battle Sorcerer, and Duskblade.

MeeposFire
2011-04-20, 10:26 PM
If I recall it is already possible to make full plate have 0% arcane spell failure though I think you still need medium armor prof to not take attack penalties (though if you do not use spells requiring attack rolls then you should have no problems anyway).

HunterOfJello
2011-04-20, 10:38 PM
All my arcane spellcasters just end up using a +1 Twilight Mithril Shirt. Since it has no armor check penalty and no arcane spell failure chance, you can wear it without proficiency and take no penalty.

The Resinbond feat from Dungeon Magazine decreases the arcane spell failure chance by 10% for Kaorti Resin Armor. However, Kaorti armor only lasts 500 days, is unlikely to find and is just weird in general. That feat is unlikely to be able to help you.

Zaq
2011-04-20, 11:42 PM
Here's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#stillSpell) a feat that will do it.

Not quite in the way you want, but it'll do it.

Bakkan
2011-04-21, 12:03 AM
Other class/item options: Feycraft from the DMG2 (maybe Gishcraft as well, I can't remember), Battle Sorcerer, and Duskblade.

Githcraft does indeed reduce your ASF by 5%, as well as granting you a +1 to Concentration checks (which makes it my go-to caster armor). One of these days I'll write up an analysis I did of ideal armors for given situations.

If I recall it is already possible to make full plate have 0% arcane spell failure though I think you still need medium armor prof to not take attack penalties (though if you do not use spells requiring attack rolls then you should have no problems anyway).

I haven't found a way to make 0% ASF full plate without dipping a prestige class or using frats from Pathfinder or Dragon magazine. The best I've been able to do is

Mithral -10%
Githcraft/Feycraft -5%
Thistledown -5%
Twilight -10%

Total: -30%

Which still leaves a 5% ASF, which is honestly probably not bad, but I'd have to work hard to convince myself to play a caster with any positive ASF.

Bang!
2011-04-21, 01:43 AM
If you don't mind pathfinder, it has a (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-training-combat) couple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-mastery-combat).

There's also the Master Spellthief feat in Complete Scoundrel, but it requires a dip in Spellthief (does the Rogue-style PrC in Fiendish Codex II also give Steal Spell? I can't remember how its schtick works for the life of me).

And just copying and pasting materials from Surreal's Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):

Twilight, armor enhancement, Book of Exalted Deeds, -10%
Thistledown, armor add-on, Races of the Wild, -5%
Leafweave, armor add-on, Races of the Wild, -5%
Feycraft, armor template, DMG2, -5%
Githcraft, armor template, DMG2, -5%
Hellforged, armor template, DMG2, +5%
Blue Ice, component, Frostburn, cast [Cold] spells without ASF

EDIT:
I totally didn't register what those links were earlier. Oops.

Darrin
2011-04-21, 05:33 AM
Mithral -10%
Githcraft/Feycraft -5%
Thistledown -5%
Twilight -10%

Total: -30%

Which still leaves a 5% ASF, which is honestly probably not bad, but I'd have to work hard to convince myself to play a caster with any positive ASF.

Technically, you can stack Githcraft with Feycraft if your githyanki armorsmith is also half-fey or under the influence of fey magic. Feycraft is the only crafting template in DMGII that doesn't require the crafting to take place on a specific plane. So you can get that last -5% that way.

Greenish
2011-04-21, 05:42 AM
The Runesmith (RoS) gets rid of it entirely.The Runesmith is particularly cool in how it doesn't remove ASF per se, but instead replaces the somatic components of your spells with (free) material ones. The fluff of using runes and wearing heavy armour all dwarfy like comes together beautifully with the crunch of bypassing somatic components.

One of these days I'll write up an analysis I did of ideal armors for given situations.Please do. :smallcool:

Tyndmyr
2011-04-21, 07:10 AM
All my arcane spellcasters just end up using a +1 Twilight Mithril Shirt. Since it has no armor check penalty and no arcane spell failure chance, you can wear it without proficiency and take no penalty.

The Resinbond feat from Dungeon Magazine decreases the arcane spell failure chance by 10% for Kaorti Resin Armor. However, Kaorti armor only lasts 500 days, is unlikely to find and is just weird in general. That feat is unlikely to be able to help you.

I suppose you *could* find some way to suspend the armor in time. I can think of at least one way...but still, it is pretty unusual for anything. Might be useful for druids? Perhaps?

Greenish
2011-04-21, 07:16 AM
I suppose you *could* find some way to suspend the armor in time.Unguent might work if you can argue that Kaorti Resin can be counted as once having been alive. Quite a stretch though.