PDA

View Full Version : [4eE] Assassin Sub-class: Arbiter

Ceiling009
2011-04-20, 11:13 PM
As the title says, I wrote a sub-class for the Asssassin, as I thought that Executioner was cool, but wasn't all shadows and scary bits enough. This is originally meant to be closer to an original class, for my campaign setting; but it has enough parallels to both Assassin and Executioner that it could easily be put as a sub-class of the Assassin.

You can read it here (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3_qWeuu5gtSMTVhNDVhMDMtNmZkYy00ZTVmLWIxNmE tNjdmMjE2YjA3MDJh&hl=en)

So the point is that you are consistently hidden; or at least invisible to your target and you deal damage with high accuracy because of the fact that you are consistently hidden or invisible to your target. The Writs, like the Executioner poisons are pretty much analogues for Daily powers; though some are closer to utilities than attacks. This class is also high movement. I don't know if it's too strong; but so far, my design goal is design it very strong then nerf later versus too weak and look passable. I haven't quite thought out feats synergies or the additions of new class specific feats, and I'd like feedback on that, along with feedback on the class.

Thanks in advance.

Note: It's all 30 levels, along with a paragon path (as that's how Essential style classes seem to go), has some newish weapons; and the inspiration is the Assassin class, the 3.5 Ninja class, and (my) general perceptions of a shadowy assassin. If you're unhappy with the fluff parts, they're mutable; I'm currently more concerned at it's damage, tactics, and efficiency. Too good? Too bad? Does it stack up against the Twin Strike Ranger? All those questions.

I did see a link to the Shadow Classes wiki...

LaZodiac
2011-04-21, 12:10 PM
I'd love to look over this, but I forgot my google password and can't access it otherwise. If possible, could you upload it somewhere else?

I really am curious about this, I love assassiny stuff.

Ceiling009
2011-04-21, 01:42 PM
here (http://www.mediafire.com/?r02281usk777hoo) it is again on mediafire.

LaZodiac
2011-04-21, 02:23 PM
Unfortunatly, my computer is utterly baffled by what to do with an Opendocument Text. Sorry.

Ceiling009
2011-04-21, 03:05 PM
You know, I was wondering why the file was smaller...

alright here (http://www.mediafire.com/?3z60abr68q4276b) is where it should be as a pdf.

I really hope you like this class. I would feel seriously bad for all this teasing, only for you not to like it.

Also, there is a changelog if you want see how it changed a little bit from initial writing. I've looked over some features, and some loose ends, also got some suggestions I've incorporated.

Change log:
Update Shroud of Night to have the line "Whenever you are hidden and miss with an attack, you stay hidden".
Updated Sight Unseen to be a Close burst 5, target one creature with caveat to make it a minor action.
Updated Night's Creeping Edge with removal of reach, and addition of ignoring cover and superior cover.
Updated Shadow Flash Strike to only teleport up to speed to a square adjacent to target and attack.
Updated Chains of Mist to no longer have additional reach; and cause slow with caveat.
Updated Shadow Lash to deal only Dexterity modifier on miss.
Updated Feather of Night to no longer cause adjacent squares give concealment to you and allies; instead gives a -2 penalty to attack until the beginning of your next turn.

Changelog 4/20/11
Updated Feather of Night to minor action, deals 1[W] damage and -2 penalty to attacks until beginning of next turn.
Updated Shadow Dart with caveat: If hidden or invisible, target is dealt damage equal to number of adjacent creatures to it.
Update Shadow Lash to -2 penalty to attacks until the end of your next turn.
Updated Strike Unseen Damage scaling starts from 2d10 to 5d10.
Cleaned up some language.

LaZodiac
2011-04-21, 03:44 PM
Ok, making notes as I read. Note I'm not professional.

Could of sworn you could hide in any concealment.

Jurisprudence is a funny word and I'd like to know where you got it from. Or what it means if you made it up. May be good to justs have it be Prudence.

Grim Reaper mentions it's about moving quickly while attacking, though one of the two at wills doesn't include movement. I'd suggest maybe shift 2 squares before or after the attack for Creeping Edge, and maybe having only 1[w] for Flash Strike.

Minor edit to Shadow Dart, the special should read "additional damage"

Do Johyo have a weight on the other end? Just curious.

Ok, I'm not actually going to comment on it, but so far what I've read is quite interesting. I like the look of it. May or may not be similiar to the Executioner build that has flails and what not (I know it has them, HOS only showed us two of the schools DND Insiders get)

Dust
2011-04-21, 04:48 PM
I'm not certain I understand your intention here.
You have not managed to build a 4e class here - you've attempted to blend together both 3.5 and 4e in such a way that it renders the Arbiter unfortunately unplayable.

The point of 4e is that at every level-up, you are granted combat powers or utility powers that can be used on their own merit. Class features and feats handle everything else.

However, here you have it set up so that upon hitting a certain level, you don't get a power, and instead, get a bonus to ability scores or 'gain a feature' or ignore monster damage reduction. And unfortunately, that simply isn't how it works. So mechanically, this does not work as a 4e class in any way.

Thematically, however, I quite like the overall idea. I'd point out that not being able to use your At-Will writs after you run out of the reagent needed defeats the purpose of an at-will, and so I think you'd be better off changing all the Writ powers to be Dailies. That said, I think if you researched more into the new format and how the new class-creation guidelines work for 4e, you could have a solid alternate build for Assassin here.

LaZodiac
2011-04-21, 04:49 PM
Basically ignore most of what I said and listen to Dust. He seems like someon that knows what he's talking about, unlike myself.

vasharanpaladin
2011-04-21, 05:59 PM
I'm not certain I understand your intention here.
You have not managed to build a 4e class here - you've attempted to blend together both 3.5 and 4e in such a way that it renders the Arbiter unfortunately unplayable.

The point of 4e is that at every level-up, you are granted combat powers or utility powers that can be used on their own merit. Class features and feats handle everything else.

However, here you have it set up so that upon hitting a certain level, you don't get a power, and instead, get a bonus to ability scores or 'gain a feature' or ignore monster damage reduction. And unfortunately, that simply isn't how it works. So mechanically, this does not work as a 4e class in any way.

Thematically, however, I quite like the overall idea. I'd point out that not being able to use your At-Will writs after you run out of the reagent needed defeats the purpose of an at-will, and so I think you'd be better off changing all the Writ powers to be Dailies. That said, I think if you researched more into the new format and how the new class-creation guidelines work for 4e, you could have a solid alternate build for Assassin here.

Go pick up one of the last three 4e books to be released. We'll wait. :smallsigh:

Dust
2011-04-21, 06:00 PM
Specific examples, please. I've avoided the Essentials line entirely and haven't picked up HoS yet. That said, the last three books providing character builds were...what, Heroes of Shadow, the Gamma World line, and Psionic Power?

Ceiling009
2011-04-21, 06:22 PM
The tag 4eE entails the Essentials Format and the new class paradigm designs instated by who ever is in charge and the Heroes of X (in this case it's Forgotten Kingdoms and Fallen Lands).

Some may hate the new design paradigm, some maybe just ambivalent to it. I personally enjoy both; since the newer design choices allow for a very focused character with few choices; while the older design choices allow for a very organically built character with multiple choices; which may or not include a very focused build.

@Dust

So, yes in a way, I've created exactly what you said Dust. Also best analog to this design is the Executioner Assassin from Heroes of Shadow. Since it also has basically Item dailies. The rest of it, comes from Heroes of Fallen Lands and Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms.

@LaZodiac

You can only roll to hide in Superior Cover or Total Concealment

Jurisprudence: Science of Philosophy of Law (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Jurisprudence)

Good point on Grim Reaper. Hmmm... I'm good with shifting before/after Night's Creeping Edge, and maybe I'll drop the damage on Shadow Flash Strike... I'm kinda shy on dropping damage to anything, as it might have problems being a striker.

Thanks for the Note on Shadow Dart.

Johyo are more or less Rope Darts (mine is a chain dart just to go with the theme).

Also, the executioner is pretty much a reprint of what was released to DDI a few months ago. Look at Dragon 394.

Thanks for reading.

Dust
2011-04-21, 06:26 PM
Apologizes, then - in my hurry to pop open the pdf and take a look I missed the 4eE tag, and my understanding of the Essentials line is unfortunately nil. Clearly I wasn't aware the design guideline had changed so much.

Regardless, it seems a fine start, though I'm still contrary to the notion of being able to 'run out' of At-Wills.

Ceiling009
2011-04-21, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I thought about that too. How odd it was to have daily use poisons on the Executioner Assassin. But, also, I found how odd it was to have them only available to use to yourself, since they were technically items. Eh, I could just format the Writs into just Dailies; if that would make more sense - the Hexblade has Dailies. I just sort of liked the idea of making these potent scrolls that you could use, or in a pinch you can hand off to someone in the party to use; that do some area effects. I mean sure, there's a flimsy fluff reason as why they're item dailies... but I know it rubs some people the wrong way.

LaZodiac
2011-04-22, 08:48 AM
I don't have DDI yet, but thank you for telling me what issue the Executioner is in. I HEARD, atleast, that DDI users go access to special guilds like one that involved spears and the like though.