PDA

View Full Version : Is it Possible, a "Semi-Blind" Neverwinter Nights 2 LP?!

Rob Roy
2011-04-21, 05:39 AM
I say "Semi-Blind" because I've never gotten around to actually finishing Act 1 of this game. So I've played before, I just never got very far before I went back to the first Neverwinter Nights 2. This means this LP is also an excuse to get met to finish this game.Anyway the Races/Classes are standard 3.5 plus the planetouched(and I don't want to use LA races, but I will if popular opinion demands it), so this part will be brief. Basically vote for a race and class and then we can get to the second half of character creation. Fun! Also, can anyone recommend a screenshot program? The one I'm using right now isn't working, which is why there are no pictures in this post.

Races

Human- No stat bonus's or penalties, get a few extra skill points which we can spend on, well, skills.
Dwarf- Plus 2 to Constitution(hit points) and minus to on charisma(which is for bards and sorcerers). A different type of dwarf get a penalty to dexterity instead(stat for rouges). Both types get +1 against goblins, darkvision and other cool stuff.
Elf- All types get a constitution penalty, one type gets a dexterity bonus, one gets intelligence(wizards), and the other gets an intelligence penalty and a bonus to both strength and dexterity. They also get cool stuff.
Gnome- Constitution bonus, strength penalty, illusion stuff, and small size.
Half-Orc- Me half-orc. Me tell all peoples that me get strength bonus and both intelligence and charisma penalties. Me also get darkvision!
Halfling- Small size, dexterity bonus and strength bonus. Natural rouges.
Half-Elf- The only cool things about humans and the least cool parts of elves. They never fit in.

Classes

Wizard/Sorcerer- Casters, wizards are smart and study, and prepare in advance. Sorcerers burn through there spells, but get more of them. They don't know the meaning of the word planning.
Rouge They steal stuff, disable traps, get loot. Pretty useful
Fighter/Barbarian- Meatshields, and I know Act 1 gives you plenty of those, so the are probably going to give you more. Or at least not take away the ones you already have.
Warlock- Like sorcerers, but more pure blasty spells.
Cleric- Healing, and more importantly, cheap healing. Very Useful.
Paladin- A cleric and fighters lovechild. Less healing, more stabbing evil.
Druid- Clerics with nature and a class feature better than the fighter class. Very useful.
Ranger-Druid Meets fighter without the druids class feature that's better than the fighter class.
Monks- Fighters, but worse.

We are currently voting on name, the god we worship, and the character background. (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Background) See the link for a list of backgrounds.

Yora
2011-04-21, 06:45 AM
Whats wrong with the standard screenshot function of the game? Always worked perfectly well for me and everyone else I knew.

Tengu_temp
2011-04-21, 08:03 AM
The most important thing to bear in mind about NWN's original campaign: it's bad. The writing is cliche and hard to take seriously, you see the plot twists coming from a mile away, the gameplay is a hack'n'slash pretending to be a normal RPG, each act is a Collect The Macguffins task and the sidequests are uninspired at best. If you want to LP this, don't approach it seriously. Instead, have fun and snark at everything.

Kzickas
2011-04-21, 08:06 AM
It looks like he meant to write "Neverwinter Nights 2", but everything you said applies there too

Douglas
2011-04-21, 08:21 AM
Well, if it's NWN 2 I'm tempted to recommend Cleric just because it makes one particular early area hilariously easy. You're level 4 when you get there, and you fight large numbers of 1 and 2-HD undead. Fights consist of walking into a room, hitting Turn Undead, and watching the entire group of enemies disintegrate instantly.

Ah what the heck, go full buff-bot cleric. Extend Spell, Persist Spell, and take advantage of the distorted time scale on 10 minute/level (or maybe even 1 minute/level) buffs too to have a ridiculously huge array of buffs up at all times. Most of them will stack fully, too, even the ones that shouldn't, because they only implemented proper bonus type rules for AC. For other things, ability score bonuses don't stack but pretty much everything else does. There's a fan-made addon you can use to reduce the buffing routine to a single item activation after resting that you should use, I'll dig it up for you later if you decide to go this route.

Rob Roy
2011-04-21, 11:07 AM
Well, if it's NWN 2 I'm tempted to recommend Cleric just because it makes one particular early area hilariously easy. You're level 4 when you get there, and you fight large numbers of 1 and 2-HD undead. Fights consist of walking into a room, hitting Turn Undead, and watching the entire group of enemies disintegrate instantly.

Wow. That's just bad. Fullstop. Yeah, if I do end up going cleric, that addon sounds really useful.

If you want to LP this, don't approach it seriously. Instead, have fun and snark at everything.
That's the plan.

Whats wrong with the standard screenshot function of the game? Always worked perfectly well for me and everyone else I knew.

Is there a word to describe the feeling that you get when you overlooked something completely obvious and someone points it out to you? Anyway, thanks! :smallsmile:

Douglas
2011-04-21, 12:06 PM
Yeah, if I do end up going cleric, that addon sounds really useful.
It's interesting to watch the casting effects of two dozen buff spells go off simultaneously, which was fairly routine for me late game the time I did that.

It also gave me something extra to laugh at when the 15 or so various glowing auras and visual effects from my numerous buffs somehow failed to make any impression whatsoever on anyone I talked to. You'd think seeing that much obvious active magic on someone might be a hint that you don't want to mess with him, but no, the bandits tried to intimidate money out of me anyway (and many other similar scenarios throughout the game). They didn't survive that act of stupidity.

SirSigfried
2011-04-21, 12:51 PM
Do you have the expansions as well? There are more classes that are added with them. Since you didn't mention any of them I'm guessing no.

Rob Roy
2011-04-21, 01:04 PM
Do you have the expansions as well? There are more classes that are added with them. Since you didn't mention any of them I'm guessing no.

You'd be right then. Though I have heard the MotB campaign is better than the base game campaign.

Domochevsky
2011-04-21, 02:08 PM
You'd be right then. Though I have heard the MotB campaign is better than the base game campaign.

It's true, MotB is pretty great.

Also: Elven. Monk. *thunderclap*
(Seriously, monks rock in NWN games.)

ScottishDragon
2011-04-21, 02:30 PM
I say half-ork ranger, just 'cuz I haven't seeen one for a while and might be possibly hilarious.:smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2011-04-21, 02:33 PM
Half-Orc Sorceror.

BladeofOblivion
2011-04-21, 02:34 PM
Aasimar Warlock. Just because. :smallbiggrin:

Miklus
2011-04-21, 02:52 PM
Elf wizard named Vaarsuvius. The +int type elf, of course.

Vauron
2011-04-21, 02:55 PM
Halfelf Warlock

Azaran
2011-04-21, 04:04 PM
Cleric/ Doomguide of Kelemvor

.. and run the Addon Campaign with it.

Rob Roy
2011-04-21, 05:57 PM
Cleric/ Doomguide of Kelemvor

.. and run the Addon Campaign with it.
You mean the expansion right? 'Cuz I don't have that. Anyway I'm tallying the votes now. I'll leave voting open until 9:00 P.M Pacific.

Squark
2011-04-21, 06:01 PM
Mask of the Betrayer is pretty good. Storm of Zehir... Is a lot like Icewind Dale. But with NWN 2's less tactical system. And very simplistic dungeons. So you don't have much of a plot, and the fights are fairly simplistic.

Mercenary Pen
2011-04-21, 06:36 PM
I demand a Gnome bard

No, not going to mess around with you that much, considering one of the henchbeings you get later. Dwarf barbarian will do nicely.

Acanous
2011-04-21, 07:09 PM
Human Cleric. Of Hextor.

BladeofOblivion
2011-04-21, 07:25 PM
Human Cleric. Of Hextor.

It's Forgotten Realms, so you can't pick Hextor without mods. However, a fairly close equivalent is Bane.

Rob Roy
2011-04-21, 08:43 PM
I don't think I'm going to get many more responses, so I'm going to go ahead and close voting. I'll edit this post with the winning race and class.

The races are tied between half orc and elf, and in the event of a tie between an elf and something else, the other thing wins.

Cleric is the winning class. Looks like we're playing a Half-Orc Cleric. We need to now choose an alignment, god (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Deity), and background. (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Background) I'll pick the stats based on the background. Oh, and pick a name, too.

Douglas
2011-04-21, 09:26 PM
God? We don't need no stinkin' god, we're the friggin' PLAYER CHARACTER, we can get divine spells from worshiping ourself!:smallbiggrin:

Never mind, apparently cleric forces you to pick one. Hmm, how about Bahgtru? Orcish god of stupidity, who keeps sending exceptionally stupid foes against you.

Bully for the background.

Take Strength and Plant for your domains, to get Divine Power and Bull's Strength a level early, and to get Barkskin.

Vauron
2011-04-21, 11:36 PM
We should either worship Kelemver or no god at all. Narrator or nothing!

Edit:
Lawful Neutral Devout

Also, not worshiping anyone is a very bad choice in Toril. Very, very bad.

Azaran
2011-04-22, 04:24 AM
@ Rob Roy:

You can still you use a pure Cleric, who worships Kelemvor. Maybe a Half-Orc
for the unoptimised fun in it :smallbiggrin:.
I always thought Kelemvor makes storywise some sense.

Breltar
2011-04-22, 06:15 AM
Mask of the Betrayer is pretty good. Storm of Zehir... Is a lot like Icewind Dale. But with NWN 2's less tactical system. And very simplistic dungeons. So you don't have much of a plot, and the fights are fairly simplistic.

I actually liked Storm of Zehir myself, but only because I dislike epic levels in NWN 1/2 immensely. SoZ had a more open style of play in a lot of sections, which meant you had to really look for some of the side quests or you could miss them completely.

Yora
2011-04-22, 06:16 AM
Is there a word to describe the feeling that you get when you overlooked something completely obvious and someone points it out to you? Anyway, thanks! :smallsmile:
I once spend several days trying to fix a broken intro movie because I didn't knew if there were any other important cutscenes in the game that I would miss. Lots of bugfixes, reinstalls and so on.
Turns out there was a huge fingerprint on the CD. :smallbiggrin:

Squark
2011-04-22, 01:22 PM
I actually liked Storm of Zehir myself, but only because I dislike epic levels in NWN 1/2 immensely. SoZ had a more open style of play in a lot of sections, which meant you had to really look for some of the side quests or you could miss them completely.

The Open play was good... They just mucked up dungeon design something awful, that's all.

Rob Roy
2011-04-22, 02:15 PM
I'm going to keep voting open until 5 pm Pacific. Oh, and if no one votes on a name I'm going to make it a horrible Elder Scrolls pun.

Miklus
2011-04-22, 02:47 PM
Call him "Hulk".

HULK ANGRY! HULK SMASH PUNY HUMANS!

Domochevsky
2011-04-22, 03:32 PM
Call him "Hulk".

HULK ANGRY! HULK SMASH PUNY HUMANS!

Call him "Hoak", just for added bonus. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 03:33 PM
Go Barbarian!
They are the only class you don't get a follower of, which is a terrible shame.

SirSigfried
2011-04-22, 03:44 PM
Human Barbarian, but with a twist... he is a finesse fighter who worships Siamorphe (god of human nobility) and gets pissed at those who don't offer him proper deference to his imagined station.

Perhaps toss in some fighter levels for the extra feats?

Ozymandias
2011-04-22, 04:11 PM
You might want to try Kaedrin's PrC pack (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=209), which adds in tons of choices for just about every character type. It's not - mandatory - and it requires both expansions installed, though, so maybe not.

As for deity, Kelemvor is a good one, I think the only one that actually opens up a class. I think atheism is more interesting in MotB though.

Squark
2011-04-22, 04:51 PM
He doesn't have either of the Expansion packs, so deity doesn't really matter (Doomguide is from SoZ, while unless he buys MotB, his choice of deity will be irrelevant)

Rob Roy
2011-04-22, 04:58 PM
Go Barbarian!
They are the only class you don't get a follower of, which is a terrible shame.

Human Barbarian, but with a twist... he is a finesse fighter who worships Siamorphe (god of human nobility) and gets pissed at those who don't offer him proper deference to his imagined station.

Perhaps toss in some fighter levels for the extra feats?

Class has already been voted on, but I'll keep barbarian in mind if we multiclass. We're currently voting on the god we worship(which doesn't really matter), and Kelemvor is winning by a landslide. We're voting on a few pther things two. I'll edit those things into the OP.

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 05:44 PM
Cleric, right? I'd suggest Wizard's Apprentice (you get better help from the village wizard) but if you can wear armour that's irrelevant even if you had qualified for it. So take Devout.

Rob Roy
2011-04-22, 06:40 PM
Deadline to vote is in twenty minutes.

Vauron
2011-04-22, 08:40 PM
Cleric, right? I'd suggest Wizard's Apprentice (you get better help from the village wizard) but if you can wear armour that's irrelevant even if you had qualified for it. So take Devout.

Of course clerics can wear armor. Only arcane magic has spell failure.

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 08:44 PM
Actually, I don't think I ever played Cleric, so they might start off with some kind of crappy armour, and the soonest you can buy any is Highcliff. But yeah, I know they can wear it.
Don't forget to do the festival/tutorial, you get more XP that way than if you skip it.

Rob Roy
2011-04-22, 09:08 PM
The update'll be up later today. I'll probably edit it into this post. I've got all the screenshots ready, but I don't trust myself to write anything half decent this late. It'll be up tomorrow.

Woot Spitum
2011-04-23, 10:36 AM
Is it to late to vote on a name? Because if not, I suggest Bloodripper the Merciful.

Rob Roy
2011-04-23, 01:34 PM
Is it to late to vote on a name? Because if not, I suggest Bloodripper the Merciful.

I've already got the screenshots ready, so it's too late. Update will be up tonight.

Rob Roy
2011-04-25, 01:08 PM
I'm abandoning this LP because the computer I have the game on recently got many, many viruses on it.

Domochevsky
2011-04-25, 01:52 PM
Man, didn't even make it to the first update. :smallfrown:

Mx.Silver
2011-04-25, 02:01 PM
I'm abandoning this LP because the computer I have the game on recently got many, many viruses on it.

Ouch, hope the damage hasn't been too severe.

Man, didn't even make it to the first update.
It happens sometimes. I had to abandon my attempt at an LP after the first update when my hard drive died.