PDA

View Full Version : Shadow-ish debuffer cohort

ILM
2011-04-21, 06:59 AM
Thread edited following some input, see below.

Old post: Follow-up to my previous thread and re-post from the wrong thread:

What playable races would work thematically as a cohort to a shadow illusionist? Thinking something shadow or dark-themed. Shadows aren't playable, but stuff like a Dark-templated Ghost could work. The Wight template in SS kind of works but the +7 LA hurts (unfortunately, Umbral doesn't have a listed LA). Ideally, fairly low LA+HD and/or high Charisma would be great.

New post:
Okay so I seem to have a few options race/template-wise, I'll go into them later. I'm looking for an ECL 17 cohort and I'd like a solid saving throw debuffer. If at all feasible and if they exist, I'd like to focus as much as possible on no-save, AoE stand-there-and-do-nothing debuffs. The cohort must be a shadow or something you could easily fluff as a shadow (like I mentioned before, a Dark Ghost could work).

So far, I'm thinking [LA+0 base race with +2 cha: suggestions?], Unseelie Fey template, then Wraith template, then Evolved Undead template (is that even legal?) for a total +8 LA. With 18 starting Charisma, I should already be up to 28 before taking character classes. Unseelie Fey lets me apply my Cha mod as a save debuff to all living non-fey creatures within 5 ft.

For the remaining 9 levels I was thinking Bard/Nightmare Spinner, but this only gets me 3rd level spells and I was really aiming for the level 4 Drums of War (another no-save debuff). Binder 5 for Focalor could also be an idea, but that's a big investment for a mere mind-affecting -2 to saves.

GodGoblin
2011-04-21, 07:04 AM
There is a race in the Dragon compendium Diabolus I think they are called. They are a race of outsiders from the plane of shadow. La+ 0 I think too!

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-21, 07:13 AM
Shadar-Kai, Skulk, Dark-template ANYTHING (That template is hot like lava), Gravetouched Ghoul (Undead, but hey, Undead are shadowy-ish. Kind of.).

That last one becomes especially potent with a liberal application of Evolved Undead template, more so since you specified high Cha.

McSmack
2011-04-21, 09:07 AM
I think there was a shadow creature template in Lords of Madnesss, LA +2, had hide in plain sight and fast healing 2 so that's pretty sweet.

Taelas
2011-04-21, 09:15 AM
Shades from FRCS (with a PGtF-web enhancement upgrade to 3.5) would work, but they have a high LA (+5).

candycorn
2011-04-21, 09:39 AM
Shadow template ghost. Yeah, the LA is stiff, but if you're not in a daylight spell, you're not there. Invisible and inaudible.

ILM
2011-04-21, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the input so far; I edited the first post to move on with the project :smallsmile:.