PDA

View Full Version : Ape Rampage

Retech
2011-04-21, 07:35 AM
So I have an animal companion ape with three intelligence, so it is sentient. Currently, it is wielding a spell storing Greatsword and a masterwork studded leather armor (no armor check penalty, so no need for proficiency).

My question is: can I ride on my ape's back and use my weapon, while it is also using its greatsword?

Even cheesier, (I'm a kobold), an ape being ridden by a medium ape being ridden by me, all using weapons?

grarrrg
2011-04-21, 07:40 AM
Even cheesier, (I'm a kobold), an ape being ridden by a medium ape being ridden by me, all using weapons?

You've never heard of Bearington Bearman the Bearbearian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757) have you?

Here's a hightlight

Anthropomorphic Bear Werebear Bear Totem Barbarian/ Bear Warrior/ Druid (taking a Bear companion)/ Bearlord, taking the Wild Cohort feat to get a bear companion. You're a werebear bear who owns a bear, rides a bear, commands bears, worships bears, and can get so angry he turns into a bear.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-21, 07:52 AM
That's seriously number 1 on my list of gaming-related bookmarks. I love that link so hard, I can bearly stand it.

Blackjackg
2011-04-21, 02:52 PM
Alright, I'll take a crack at this.

The Ride check DC for fighting with a war-trained mount (attacking in the same round that your mount attacks) is 10. For a creature not well suited to be a mount (ape counts), there is a -5 penalty to your roll, so call it DC 15.

Your mount must be combat trained, which is a DC 20 Handle Animal check that takes three weeks. With DM permission, you could probably count the bonus tricks that an Animal companion learns. All this is from the PHB.

As far as stacking mounts... I wouldn't allow it, personally. But if I were to, I'd up the DCs to 20 for the middle creature and 30 for the top.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-21, 06:56 PM
I'm sure trying to wield a greatsword while there's a crazy kobold on your back should incur some sort of penalty.

Retech
2011-04-21, 07:26 PM
My ape has three intelligence, which means its sentient.

I think that means that I don't have to make a check to have it attack? I'm not sure what stuff I have to roll for, because the ape can direct itself (or I can command it with words).

In the end, it turns out that it is doing far more damage than I am. It seems that I am more of a backpack that channels energy and heals him periodically of his flesh wounds.

grarrrg
2011-04-21, 07:27 PM
I'm sure trying to wield a greatsword while there's a crazy kobold on your back should incur some sort of penalty.

Yeah, an AWESOMENESS penalty.

Note: Awesomeness penalties are of negative value, thus they are actually a bonus, but calling them a bonus would make them less awesome. (i.e. -(-1) = +1)

Cartigan
2011-04-21, 07:39 PM
You've never heard of Bearington Bearman the Bearbearian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757) have you?

Here's a hightlight

That would cause a bear implosion!

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-21, 07:40 PM
Yeah, an AWESOMENESS penalty.

Note: Awesomeness penalties are of negative value, thus they are actually a bonus, but calling them a bonus would make them less awesome. (i.e. -(-1) = +1)

Different strokes for different folks, mate. :smallwink:

Blackjackg
2011-04-30, 08:01 AM
I think that means that I don't have to make a check to have it attack? I'm not sure what stuff I have to roll for, because the ape can direct itself (or I can command it with words).

Correct, but you still have to make a Ride check to stay on board and pull off an attack yourself at the same time.