PDA

View Full Version : 7 stones survival game

Kol Korran
2011-04-21, 09:30 AM
tomer, guy, alon and ariel, please read no further.
in some source book or another (of Eberron) there is mentioned an underworld (as in criminal, not really underworld) risky entertainment game- 8 competitors are brought to a ring, into which shortly after a cockatrice (or 2?) are released, crazed with hunger. the competitors try to evade the menace, without being allowed to harm it, and survive to be the last, while the rest are now... 7 stones.

i'd like to introduce this element into my campaign. i'd like suggestions in two fields:
1) rules of the game- what can and can't you take inside the ring. what can and can't you do to others, and so on...
2) what competitors might partake in the game? assuming the prize is nice, but not too much (5000 gp? 10000 gp?) what would they invest in? more importently- what tactics? from the lame and stupid (someone must be the first stones) to the brilliant. nothing too game breaking here either (extended levitation) as this would be frowned and forbidden by the rules.

the cockatrice! it comes! it comes! :smallbiggrin:

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-21, 09:44 AM
in some source book or another (of Eberron) there is mentioned an underworld (as in criminal, not really underworld) risky entertainment game- 8 competitors are brought to a ring, into which shortly after a cockatrice (or 2?) are released, crazed with hunger. the competitors try to evade the menace, without being allowed to harm it, and survive to be the last, while the rest are now... 7 stones.

i'd like to introduce this element into my campaign. i'd like suggestions in two fields:
1) rules of the game- what can and can't you take inside the ring. what can and can't you do to others, and so on...
2) what competitors might partake in the game? assuming the prize is nice, but not too much (5000 gp? 10000 gp?) what would they invest in? more importently- what tactics? from the lame and stupid (someone must be the first stones) to the brilliant. nothing too game breaking here either (extended levitation) as this would be frowned and forbidden by the rules.

From what I remember the game is run by the Daask criminal gang but I thought it was Six stones. As for competitors I'm sure that they are usually those who are either in debt with the Daask or greatly disliked by them, it's less a case of deciding to enter and more a case of an Ogre grabs you one evening and throws you in the arena, if you're not petrified at the end you're let off (or maybe not)

Kol Korran
2011-04-21, 09:48 AM
hhmmm... you're probably right, but still i'd love to make the few changes and put it into my game. 6 stones, seven stones, we can work that out.

as to some people being thrown in- that sounds good. but i'd love a possibility of being able to enter the game and apply tactics to it.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-21, 09:53 AM
hhmmm... you're probably right, but still i'd love to make the few changes and put it into my game. 6 stones, seven stones, we can work that out.

as to some people being thrown in- that sounds good. but i'd love a possibility of being able to enter the game and apply tactics to it.

I Imagine the best tactic would be something along the lines of grapple or trip someone so that the cockatrice attacks them before you, lots of fist fighting and wrestling between combatants.

Some less than intelligent "entrants" may have heard folk stories about avoiding a cockatrice's petrifying bite that just don't work and are downright absurd, maybe the Daask has spread some rumours intentionally to make the game more exciting.

Barstro
2011-04-21, 09:55 AM
Not that I have any ideas, but I might be able to help frame some guidelines.

Will they be allowed magic items?
Will they be allowed to cast spells?
Are they allowed to make offensive attacks on other players?
Are they allowed to grab the cockatrice?
Are they allowed to have weapons?

My understanding of D&D is only slightly above basic. My understanding of 3.5 is based solely on one reading of the first handbook. Does the cockatrice need to look you in the eyes to paralyze you? Do mirrors prevent that? What about looking through glass?

My initial thought was to take feats that allowed for better blind fighting, and then cover my eyes and start hacking at my fellow competitors.

Undercroft
2011-04-21, 10:21 AM
The game is from the Sharn book (was reading it yesterday XD)
DC:12 Fortitude save when bitten to avoid being petrified, so buffing up your fort saves seems like a solid bet. The cockatrice has +9 to it's bite attack, so it seems unlikely that just buffing your AC up will be sufficient.

SurlySeraph
2011-04-21, 05:00 PM

1. Probably bring nothing except clothing, allowed to do whatever you can to the other competitors.
2. Very stupid, very desperate, or very callous people. Having a competitor who's trying to get enough money to afford medicine or a healing spell for a family member is a fully viable way to pull on your party's heartstrings.
As for tactics: combat maneuvers. Grapple someone and keep them between you and the cockatrice, trip someone so they can't run away from it, bullrush someone into its striking range, etc.

A build with Steadfast Determination and at least +11 Fort save is pretty much a winner here. Of course, getting a +11 Fort save by 3rd level (since a cockatrice is CR 3) takes a bit of effort.

JonRG
2011-04-21, 07:17 PM
The book states that most of the participants are debtors looking to get out from under the thumb of whoever they owe. You could probably have a few prisoners, desperate people (like SurlySeraph said) or someone looking to score big and doesn't mind five (or seven) other people dying in the process.

There's no magic or weapons allowed. Only one cockatrice at a time. Sometimes they mix up the playing field (obstacle strewn or not).

Not sure about the precise rules of engagement. The primary strategy I read was to lead opponents into the cockatrice's path. *shrug*

The prize is a cut (don't recall what percentage) of the profits.

Toofey
2011-04-21, 11:15 PM
What if you grabbed them by the necks and used them to attack the other "competitors"?

Vance_Nevada
2011-04-22, 12:01 AM
If you wanted a version that requires less desperate people to play, after the game is over, the organisation casts Stone To Flesh on all but one of the players. Somebody wins, 5 others go home, and somebody stays in the garden as a statue...

And how about those rumours that the organisation only turns back those who can pay? Or that sometimes the statues that go in to be turned aren't the ones that come back out?

Kol Korran
2011-04-22, 02:00 AM
thanks for the replies guys. i think i have some ideas in place... :smallsmile: