PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion in combat.

Pigkappa
2011-04-21, 01:04 PM
How does Suggestion work in combat?

During a fight, today the bard cast Suggestion on an opponent with the phrase "just go away and don't come back, and you won't be hurt". I found no RAW reason to prevent this, the opponent failed his saving throw and ran away.

Is this correct? If this is, Suggestion can be used a 2nd level Save or Lose, and there aren't many of those.

gbprime
2011-04-21, 01:08 PM
Yup, that's how it works. They fail the save and they regard what you said as an irresistibly good idea.

Personally, I'd never give an opponent a bonus for a "very reasonable" suggestion, since nothing the enemy says is by definition "very reasonable".

RaginChangeling
2011-04-21, 01:11 PM
Yup, that's how it works. They fail the save and they regard what you said as an irresistibly good idea.

Personally, I'd never give an opponent a bonus for a "very reasonable" suggestion, since nothing the enemy says is by definition "very reasonable".

Not even, "I surrender, here's my weapons! (That totally aren't cursed)"

Gnaeus
2011-04-21, 01:18 PM
I tend to try to use it to make enemies surrender when they are clearly going to die. Like you blow their leader into a smoking crater and follow it up with Suggestion "Surrender or we will kill you too". No one ever surrenders to us! Alas the needless loss of (pretend) life!

Fouredged Sword
2011-04-21, 01:18 PM
It can be used as such, and it is powerful. Any open ended spell like suggestion (and it is open ended by allowing you to tell any suggstion) is powerful.

Feel free to hang him by his words though. The person who listens to the suggestion is free to read into it what meaning he wants. I.E. you can make the suggestion mean any reasonable meaning of the words the character says.

"just go away and don't come back, and you won't be hurt" isn't the same as dominateing the character to run. They simply know that running away will prevent them from geting hurt. It doesn't mean that they will run. If they are prepared to get hurt (and most people in combat willingly are) he can still fight.

"If you don't run now I will kill you painfuly" is a better useage. So is "I am secretly a great wyrm silver dragon, so shoo."

The checklist for makeing a suggestion is as such
- it must tell the character to do something or that something is a good idea. If it just states something as a fact than the victem simple belives those facts. Thus it is best to state "You should.."
- The reason must be at least posible. There must be a reason. Thus the words "...Becuse..." The target must care about the reason. Telling a villian that you will kill the hostages he cares nothing for doesn't modivate him.

Checklist for the DM
- Does the target speak the same language as the spell is said in? The player must state what language he sais the spell in.
- Does the character think that the suggestion is remotely posible?
- Does the character care about the reason given.

So, powerful yes. Limitless, no.