PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVII

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

ILM
2011-05-17, 02:19 AM
A 179 Discussion

This seems to indicate that if a hand is occupied wielding a weapon, it can't make natural attacks at all, regardless of whether or not the creature can take a hand off the weapon at any given time.

So, I guess the answer, as close as one can infer from the RAW and other information given, is yes, the lich can take his hand off the weapon and return it as a free action, but no, he can't use that limb to make natural attacks, but he can use it for other activities (such as spellcasting).
A179, cont'd: Well in the Lich entry is the following:

Full Attack

A lich fighting without weapons uses either its touch attack (see above) or its natural weapons (if it has any). If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a touch as a natural secondary attack, provided it has a way to make that attack (either a free hand or a natural weapon that it can use as a secondary attack).
Hence my question. :smallsmile:

edit: oh sorry, A184 discussion: While the wording on Aberrant Apotheosis does seem categorical, in the type pyramid (SS page 142), Undead is higher than Aberration and "Types higher on the pyramid override lower types, even if the lower type is applied afterwards." Granted, the paragraph is written with templates in mind but this sentence at least is non-specific as to how the type is gained. I'd say the character would remain undead. If he wants to keep some aberration stuff that's not overwritten by undead traits, he should try to get the capstone ability of Fleshwarper before becoming a Lich.

Q186:
Class Skills

The cloistered cleric's class skill list includes Decipher Script, Speak Language, and all Knowledge skills (from the Knowledge domain, see below)
Is that in addition to the regular Cleric's skills or does this list replace the Cleric's?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-17, 05:08 AM
A184 discussion: While the wording on Aberrant Apotheosis does seem categorical, in the type pyramid (SS page 142), Undead is higher than Aberration
That type pyramid in Savage Species is pre-3.5 rules, and has no support in D&D 3.5. All class abilities regarding type function as stated (even when that leads to a problem for the DM to address).

Curmudgeon
2011-05-17, 05:10 AM
A 186

That's in addition to. Note the contrasting wording of the regular Cleric:
Class Skills

The cleric’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int). "Are" denotes a full list; "includes" in the Cloistered Cleric variant denotes additions.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-17, 09:31 AM
Q 187

Some actions do not normally provoke AoO, taking a 5-ft step and casting a quickened spell for example. The 5-ft step can be made to provoke an AoO if it is taken inside a Crusader's thicket of blades. Is there any similar mechanism to cause casting a quickened spell to provoke an AoO?

Text of Quicken Spell from srd (for reference)

The SRD:

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. (emphasis mine)

Special
This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-17, 10:40 AM
Q188: Can the maneuver Wall of Blades be used to change your touch AC? It only makes reference to your AC, with no indication either way. Essentially, can a character use Wall of Blades to shore up his defenses vs. a warlock's Eldritch Blast?

Cog
2011-05-17, 10:46 AM
A 188:
Wall of Blades only triggers as a defense against melee or ranged attacks, not melee touch or ranged touch attacks.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-17, 12:15 PM
A188 discussion: Thank you. Do you have a RAW citation that stipulates "ranged attack" is different from "ranged touch attack?"

Cog
2011-05-17, 12:22 PM
A 188 continued:
They are different words, just as "AC" is different from "touch AC". Though this is a softer argument, it fits with the fluff of the maneuver as well - touch attacks just need the barest hit, and if you're deflecting a blow by putting your weapon between the attack and yourself, it'd count for hitting you similarly to how a touch attack hits even if you're taking cover behind a tower shield.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-17, 01:25 PM
A 188 Cont Discussion

The DnD Glossary makes this a bit more nebulous I believe.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_rangedattack&alpha=

It defines "Ranged Attack":

Any attack made at a distance with a ranged weapon, as opposed to a melee attack.
and "Ranged Touch Attack":

A touch attack made at range, as opposed to a melee touch attack.
and a "Touch Attack":

An attack in which the attacker must connect with an opponent but does not need to penetrate armor. Touch attacks may be either melee or ranged. The target's armor bonus, shield bonus, and natural armor bonus (including any enhancement bonuses to those values) do not apply to AC against a touch attack.

It seems that a "Ranged Touch Attack" is subset of "Ranged Attacks". So "Wall of Blades" should be able to improve you AC here.

Cog
2011-05-17, 01:34 PM
It defines "Ranged Attack":
Any attack made at a distance with a ranged weapon, as opposed to a melee attack.

Eldritch Blast is weaponlike, but it is not a weapon.

ghostaxe
2011-05-17, 01:55 PM
A188 discussion

Arguing that Eldritch Blasts are *not* ranged attacks because they're weapon-like instead of weapons seems to be very counter intuitive. Would you argue then that Eldritch Blasts would not be affected by Entropic Shield and the Warlock's ability that replicates Entropic Shield?

My personal interpretation is that Touch Attack and Ranged Touch Attack are clearly subsets of Melee and Ranged Attacks.

The issue here is really whether the (AC=attack roll) also changes your touch AC in addition to normal AC. On this, it appears official sources are silent, so I guess it would have to be a DM call.

Also relevant I think is the Parrying Shield and Shield Ward feats, which allow you to apply your Shield bonus to AC to touch AC as well, and it is fluffed as deflecting the attack. Wall of Blades is similarly described, so my ruling would be that Wall of Blades applies to touch AC as well.

Cog
2011-05-17, 02:09 PM
A 188 continued:

Would you argue then that Eldritch Blasts would not be affected by Entropic Shield and the Warlock's ability that replicates Entropic Shield?
Entropic Shield calls out rays as something it does affect.

The issue here is really whether the (AC=attack roll) also changes your touch AC in addition to normal AC. On this, it appears official sources are silent, so I guess it would have to be a DM call.
As per the SRD, "When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus." On that question (which is not the only issue here), the full benefit of Wall of Blades would apply - it does not have an armor or shield bonus for the touch attack to ignore.

Also relevant I think is the Parrying Shield and Shield Ward feats, which allow you to apply your Shield bonus to AC to touch AC as well, and it is fluffed as deflecting the attack. Wall of Blades is similarly described, so my ruling would be that Wall of Blades applies to touch AC as well.
Both of those feats specifically call out touch AC and not regular AC. They provide no precedent whatsoever.

Rickshaw
2011-05-17, 02:40 PM
Q189

What are the rules (and in what book do they reside) regarding creation times and craft DC's regarding the simple alchemical items such as alchemist's fire, tanglefoot bags, sunrods, etc?

Thank you, in advance!
^^

Taelas
2011-05-17, 02:41 PM
A189:
The Craft skill in the PHB, page 71.

ghostaxe
2011-05-17, 02:48 PM
A 188 continued:

Entropic Shield calls out rays as something it does affect.

This field deflects incoming arrows, rays, and other ranged attacks.

Yes, but it says it in a way that makes it clear that arrows and rays are both "ranged attacks."

As per the SRD, "When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus." On that question (which is not the only issue here), the full benefit of Wall of Blades would apply - it does not have an armor or shield bonus for the touch attack to ignore.

Oh, good point. I agree with you here. So if the EB does count as a ranged attack, then WoB would definitely help against it.

Lateral
2011-05-17, 02:52 PM
Q 190

Do you need to take an action to tell a psicrystal with Self-Propulsion already activated to move?

Cog
2011-05-17, 03:02 PM
A 188 etc.:

Yes, but it says it in a way that makes it clear that arrows and rays are both "ranged attacks."
A single instance of an awkward phrasing in a single spell does not negate every other instance of the distinction between ranged attacks and ranged touch attacks. Arrows alone would be sufficient to warrant an "other" before the "ranged attacks" in that list, so no, it is not clear.

Cog
2011-05-17, 03:06 PM
A 190:

The owner has a telepathic link with his psicrystal out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The owner cannot see through the psicrystal’s senses, but the two of them can communicate telepathically as if the psicrystal were the target of a mindlink power manifested by the owner.

You forge a telepathic bond with your target. You can communicate telepathically through the bond even if you do not share a common language. No special power or influence is established as a result of the bond. Once the bond is formed, it works over any distance (although not from one plane to another).
Giving a command is a free mental action so long as you are within one mile, even when it's not your turn.

Forged Fury
2011-05-17, 04:04 PM
Q 191
Can precision damage be applied to attacks with splash weapon? If so, does it also apply to the splash damage?

Cog
2011-05-17, 04:08 PM
A 191:
Yes and no respectively. The flask-wielding rogue is a semipopular build, though it used to be mentioned more often than I've seen lately.

ghostaxe
2011-05-17, 04:56 PM
A188 discussion:

A 188 etc.:
A single instance of an awkward phrasing in a single spell does not negate every other instance of the distinction between ranged attacks and ranged touch attacks. Arrows alone would be sufficient to warrant an "other" before the "ranged attacks" in that list, so no, it is not clear.

Ranged attacks provoke Attacks of Opportunity. There is no mention for Ranged touch attacks, such as rays. Thus, EB either is a ranged attack or it doesn't provoke AoO while in melee range.

Soft cover applies to ranged attacks. Thus, EB either is a ranged attack or it isn't affected by soft cover.

Finally, I think the strongest argument is when the game specifically calls out "ranged weapons" rather than ranged attacks, as in the case of Deflect arrows:

You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat. Once per round when you would normally be hit with a ranged weapon, you may deflect it so that you take no damage from it. You must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed.

Thus, I conclude that ranged attacks in general apply also to ranged touch attacks, when there's an exception the game specifically calls out "attack with ranged weapon."

Lateral
2011-05-17, 06:28 PM
Q 192

Is there a spell that allows you to enlarge an object (similarly to Shrink Item, but in reverse)?

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-17, 06:39 PM
Q 193

Anyone know why the Gray Jester (Heroes of Horror p.151) has a +2 deflection bonus to AC? It doesn't have any equipment listed....

Cog
2011-05-17, 07:16 PM
A 193:
Without any equipment to be the source of that deflection bonus, it is simply a natural part of the creature's own defenses.

Koury
2011-05-17, 08:09 PM
Q194

A medium creature with, say, 20 ft reach. He threatens more then he "should" because reach doesn't use the 3:2 diag movement rule, right?

Or am I making that up?

Cog
2011-05-17, 08:14 PM
A 194:
You're not entirely making it up. Reach uses the same proportion as movement, but you only have to be able to barely reach within a square, while you have to be able to fully complete your movement - 20' of reach encloses slightly more squares than 20' of movement, but it's not a square. There are templates you can refer to in the back of the DMG.

Forged Fury
2011-05-17, 08:19 PM
A 194In case you want text reference:

Reach Weapons
Most creatures of Medium or smaller size have a reach of only 5 feet. This means that they can make melee attacks only against creatures up to 5 feet (1 square) away. However, Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten more squares than a typical creature. In addition, most creatures larger than Medium have a natural reach of 10 feet or more.

Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)

Koury
2011-05-17, 08:23 PM
A 194In case you want text reference:

So is the exception only for the first diagonal 3:2? Or are all diagonals always only 5 ft?

Sorry, just trying to make sure I got it right.

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:23 PM
Q195

I realize I worded my earlier question improperly...
Can Detect Magic notice an inactive Symbol spell? Assume that Detecting does not itself activate the symbol. I know that Search cannot pinpoint the location for the purpose of disarming the trap, but I feel like Detect Magic should be pretty much a catchall for noticing *something* about a magical rune.

Forged Fury
2011-05-17, 08:33 PM
So is the exception only for the first diagonal 3:2? Or are all diagonals always only 5 ft?

Sorry, just trying to make sure I got it right.
The part in the parenthesis make me think it is a general exception. Unfortunately, the rules seem to have been written only with Small and Medium creatures in mind.

AngelisBlack
2011-05-17, 08:39 PM
Q 196

How does the dragonborn templete interact with creatures that have pre-existing templetes? For example, what would the racial traits of a Draconic Catfolk be after he turns into a dragonborn? Would he still keep his claws and darkvision? How about the case of a half-vampire drow dragonborn? (don't ask, not my idea.)

Cog
2011-05-17, 08:43 PM
The part in the parenthesis make me think it is a general exception. Unfortunately, the rules seem to have been written only with Small and Medium creatures in mind.
The charts at the end of the DMG would disagree, and they do not conflict with the exception given.

Cog
2011-05-17, 08:45 PM
A 196:
All racial abilities except those specifically kept are lost. You keep type, ability modifiers, and size. A template acquired after the Rite of Rebirth would apply normally, but Dragonborn is acquired and so must be applied after any inherited templates.

Forged Fury
2011-05-17, 09:08 PM
The charts at the end of the DMG would disagree, and they do not conflict with the exception given.
Just checked, the above is correct. It's a specific exception.

Koury
2011-05-17, 09:17 PM
Just checked, the above is correct. It's a specific exception.

Alright, so attacks, essentially, can not go diagonal with the exception of the first square. This in fact lines up with the diagrams.

Thanks, both of you. :smallsmile:

Essence_of_War
2011-05-17, 09:38 PM
Q 197

The Ruby Knight Vindicator's 7th level ability "Divine Impetus" allows it to trade turn undead attempts in exchange for additional swift actions.

Since it is a supernatural ability with no given action cost, does this indicate that the ability takes a standard action to activate?

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-17, 11:59 PM
Q198

What magic items, if any, increase the number of undead turning a cleric has per day, and where can they be found.

Coidzor
2011-05-18, 01:19 AM
A 198 Nightsticks are the most famous example. I believe they are found in Libris Mortis. They basically act as items of "extra turning" by giving 4 more turn undead attempts in a day. I can't recall their stackability yea or nay by RAW though.

I cannot recall any other items offhand that do this, sorry.

Q 199 Where do Positive Energy Levels appear? I've seen them referenced here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook) but have never found them myself, so I'm curious if these actually exist.

Undead have a "hit dice for the purposes of Rebuking" as well. This is normally equal to their Hit Dice plus their Turn Resistance. While Positive Energy Levels exist that will reduce their effective Hit Dice, they are so broken when used on living creatures (which is almost every player character) that your DM isn't going to use them. Ever.

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-18, 01:29 AM
A 198

The Reliquary Holy Symbol from Magic Item Compendium also grants turning attempts.

A 199 Partial

I believe some of the later Monster manuals detail them in their lists of abilities and subtypes and such. Not sure where they originated though,.

Zaq
2011-05-18, 01:39 AM
A 199

Monster Manual III, p. 211.

Douglas
2011-05-18, 01:50 AM
Alright, so attacks, essentially, can not go diagonal with the exception of the first square. This in fact lines up with the diagrams.

Thanks, both of you. :smallsmile:
Just an additional note: the exception for 10' diagonal reach is there to prevent a 5' reach creature from circumventing the movement AoO on the approach just by coming from a diagonal direction, or going from "adjacent" to "out of reach" just by taking a 5' step diagonally from an initial diagonal position.

Q 197

The Ruby Knight Vindicator's 7th level ability "Divine Impetus" allows it to trade turn undead attempts in exchange for additional swift actions.

Since it is a supernatural ability with no given action cost, does this indicate that the ability takes a standard action to activate?
By strict RAW, it seems the answer is yes, activating Divine Impetus is a standard action. This is ridiculously obviously not RAI, however, and I doubt anyone actually plays it that way except for using it as an excuse to nerf the class.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-18, 07:19 AM
Q 197 Follow-up

That was my suspicion also.

So, what sort of action should it be? My guess is that the intent was for it to be a free action, is there a general consensus on this?

Cog
2011-05-18, 07:28 AM
A 197 continued:
That's kind of a general question for this thread. It'd be a shame to have to start a whole new one for so short a question so I'll just suggest that free action works and nonaction (like a 5' step) would be even more consistent with the current text.

Fisticuffs
2011-05-18, 01:23 PM
Q 200
How does having a high Con help out Incarnum users?

Cog
2011-05-18, 01:26 PM
A 200:
In addition to the usual benefits, Con limits the number of soulmelds that a meldshaper can concurrently shape. Totemists specifically use it for determining soulmeld ability DCs as well.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-18, 02:42 PM
Q201
Does wildshape give you the con of the creature whose form you take?

Divide by Zero
2011-05-18, 02:45 PM
A 201
Yes, except that you retain your original HP. You use the creature's Con score (plus any applicable buffs) for all other purposes.

Fisticuffs
2011-05-18, 02:47 PM
Q 202
Does Multiattack work on a Totemist's Girallon Arms bond to his Totem?

OMG PONIES
2011-05-18, 03:25 PM
Q203: Do any evil deities grant the Protection domain?

Crossfiyah
2011-05-18, 03:43 PM
Q204

If I put a +1 enchantment on a weapon, and then put a +2 enchantment on the same weapon, does it receive a +2 to attack and damage or a +3 to attack and damage?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-18, 03:45 PM
A 203 Yes.

Laduguer (LE), a Dwarven deity, offers Protection.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-18, 03:46 PM
A204: It would receive a +3 bonus, but keep in mind that it would cost the same as a straight +3 bonus. Of course, we're just talking about straight bonuses, and not weapon properties here. If you put a "+2 bonus" weapon property on a weapon, it would receive a +1 bonus and have the property, though it would cost the same as a straight +3 bonus.

Taelas
2011-05-18, 04:05 PM
A204 Correction:

Enhancement bonuses (not "enchantment" bonus) do not stack. The higher bonus would overwrite the lower. (For instance, if you cast greater magic weapon on a +1 longsword as a level 12 cleric, the sword would have a +3 enhancement bonus, not +4.
If you increase an enhancement bonus from +1 to +3, it will cost you the price of a +3 enhancement minus the cost of the +1 enhancement, but this is not the same as putting a +2 enhancement on a +1 weapon.

Douglas
2011-05-18, 04:06 PM
A204

Your question as phrased doesn't really make sense. You don't take a +1 weapon and "put a +2 enchantment on it", you upgrade the existing +1 to a +2. Doing so costs the difference between +1 and +2, and afterwords the weapon is +2 and it's as if the +1 never existed. If you want a total bonus of +3, you upgrade to +3 and doing so costs the difference between +3 and whatever it previously had. Upgrading from +1 to +3 increases the market price by 16000 gp, and the crafting costs for the upgrade are 8000 gp and 640 xp.

Note, btw, that the +1 bonus for a special ability such as Keen is for cost purposes only - a +1 Keen weapon has the same value and crafting cost as a +2 weapon, but it only has a +1 bonus to attack and damage. Keen's benefit of increased crit threat range is instead of the extra +1 that you could have gotten for the same price, not in addition to it.

Crossfiyah
2011-05-18, 04:27 PM
Q205

Ok so...with that in mind, the character wealth by level table should be the amount of gold I start with if I create a level 9 character, right?

Therefore, I should begin with 36,000 gold?

Taelas
2011-05-18, 04:31 PM
A205:
Yes.

Savannah
2011-05-18, 04:33 PM
A 205 addendum

The wealth by level tables are only an explanation of the default assumptions of D&D. Your DM may choose to start you out with more or less wealth, although I'd say that the majority of DMs go with the table. Still, best to double check before you get started.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-18, 05:56 PM
Q 206

How does a Crusader's damage reduction (if any) interact with his Steely Resolve class feature?

Lateral
2011-05-18, 07:10 PM
A 206: As normal- when you take the damage next turn, the DR reduces it. However, since the pool is dealing damage to you and not the original attack, the DR will reduce it even if the weapon dealing damage to you could normally bypass your DR.

Q 207 What is the feat that allows you to shape a mind blade into an unarmed strike called?

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 09:06 PM
Q208

Does the amulet of second chances reverse all actions during the whole last round, or just your actions on your turn of the round.

Douglas
2011-05-18, 10:01 PM
A206 correction

When you are hit by an attack, the damage dealt is reduced by your DR and any remaining damage is then put in your delayed damage pool up to its cap. Technically I think you could apply them in the other order if you wanted to, but the end result would be the same.

When the end of your turn comes, Steely Resolve deals damage to you equal to the delayed amount. As it is Steely Resolve that's dealing this damage, not a weapon attack, DR does not apply.

Steely Resolve does not allow you to double the benefit of Damage Reduction.

Cog
2011-05-18, 11:00 PM
A 207:
Reshape Mind Blade, Dragon 341.

Cog
2011-05-18, 11:01 PM
A 208:
The amulet resets all actions taken on your turn only.

ILM
2011-05-19, 08:33 AM
Q209: The following would be a stupid RAW abuse regardless of how you look at it, and no DM (sane or not) would allow this in his game, but I'm just curious enough to confirm my reading of this with you guys.

Improved Precise Shot [General]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, base attack bonus +11.
Benefit

Your ranged attacks ignore the AC bonus granted to targets by anything less than total cover, and the miss chance granted to targets by anything less than total concealment. Total cover and total concealment provide their normal benefits against your ranged attacks.

In addition, when you shoot or throw ranged weapons at a grappling opponent, you automatically strike at the opponent you have chosen.
So um. Does armor give total cover? No. Natural armor? No. Dexterity? No. Pretty much anything else? No. So basically, someone with the IPS feat ignores virtually all AC when using ranged attacks.

Besides the clear intent of the feat, is there anything in RAW that invalidates this reading of the feat?

OMG PONIES
2011-05-19, 08:50 AM
A209: Yes. The sentence, as written, can be read:

"Your ranged attacks ignore the AC bonus granted to targets by [anything less than total] cover."

Because of this, you need to check two things when determining if you count a given AC bonus:

1. Does it provide an AC bonus via cover?
2. If so, what is the degree of cover?

Because armor, natural armor, etc. do not provide their bonuses via cover, they fall outside the purview of this feat.

ILM
2011-05-19, 08:58 AM
A209: Yes. The sentence, as written, can be read:

"Your ranged attacks ignore the AC bonus granted to targets by [anything less than total] cover."

Because of this, you need to check two things when determining if you count a given AC bonus:

1. Does it provide an AC bonus via cover?
2. If so, what is the degree of cover?

Because armor, natural armor, etc. do not provide their bonuses via cover, they fall outside the purview of this feat.
I think I'll take this to my DM just to see the look on his face. :smallbiggrin:
Disregard, brainfart.

Cog
2011-05-19, 09:09 AM
I think I'll take this to my DM just to see the look on his face. :smallbiggrin:
I think you may have misunderstood that answer. It was, "Yes, that reading of the feat is invalidated." You may have accidentally asked the inverse of the question you meant?

ILM
2011-05-19, 09:15 AM
I think you may have misunderstood that answer. It was, "Yes, that reading of the feat is invalidated." You may have accidentally asked the inverse of the question you meant?
Ah yes, apparently I did, nevermind. I guess I could argue that no cover is less than total cover and thus does fall in the purview of this feat, but then what's the point? It's not like it's going to see any play anyway. :smallsmile:

Taelas
2011-05-19, 10:52 AM
You also failed tor realize that Dex does not give an AC bonus -- you simply add your Dex bonus to your AC.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-19, 11:43 AM
Q210: Can a full mounted attack (cavalier 6) be composed of multiple attacks at different points along the mount's move, or must all attacks occur before or after the movement?

Cog
2011-05-19, 11:49 AM
A 210:
Yes. A full attack is a full-round action, but it may be interrupted with free actions, so if the Cavalier can guide his mount as a free action he can guide in the middle of his full attack. If he cannot guide his mount as a free action, he no longer has sufficient actions to make a full attack after guiding.

RndmNumGen
2011-05-19, 11:53 AM
Q 211: Is there an NPC arcane caster(sort of like the adept is an NPC cleric)? If so, where can I find it?

Forged Fury
2011-05-19, 11:57 AM
Q 211: Is there an NPC arcane caster(sort of like the adept is an NPC cleric)? If so, where can I find it?
A 211: There are probably several examples. The one that jumps out at me is the Magewright from the Eberron Campaign Setting. It's pretty generic.

Urpriest
2011-05-19, 04:17 PM
Q 212

When a medium creature becomes large via hit die advancement, does it gain reach as a Large(long) creature or a Large(tall) creature?

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-19, 04:30 PM
A 212 Depends on if it is considered bipedal or quadrupedal/etc.

Q 213

Are there any templates that add selectable SLAs to a monster (other than Spellstitched)?

ffone
2011-05-19, 09:39 PM
Q214

If you are under a Blink spell effect, can you effectively move with a mount that is not under the effect of Blink (or does it 'leave you behind' when it tries to move)?

Zaq
2011-05-19, 10:26 PM
Q 215

Does Blur (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blur.htm) allow you to hide, assuming that you're not being observed, create a diversion with Bluff, or have HiPS? It doesn't say that you can't, but it seems kinda weird. (Doesn't mean it can't be RAW, of course!)

Tvtyrant
2011-05-20, 12:39 AM
A215
I believe so. Blur specifically gives concealment, and Hide can be attempted in any form of concealment. You still have to beat their spot check though.
Somehow I skipped that line. No you do not.
Q216

Is there an item or spell that allows you to make a reflex save to avoid an attack?

Cog
2011-05-20, 12:46 AM
A 215 contention:
No. Hide has two requirements - cover/concealment and not being observed. Misty conditions, for example, would provide concealment that keeps you from being observed. Blur's particular form of concealment makes you difficult to pinpoint but does not interfere with observation.

Cog
2011-05-20, 12:47 AM
A 214:
Your mount would leave you behind.

Cog
2011-05-20, 12:50 AM
A 216:
Starmantle (both a spell and a cloak, from BoED) allows you to do this for nonmagical attacks, and with evasion to do so for magical weapon attacks.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-20, 12:59 AM
A 216:
Starmantle (both a spell and a cloak, from BoED) allows you to do this for nonmagical attacks, and with evasion to do so for magical weapon attacks.

:'( That blows a hole in my combo. I was hoping it would let me combine it with boots of sidestepping, but no such luck. Thank you!

ILM
2011-05-20, 04:58 AM
Q217: In Races of Eberron, 3rd Changeling Rogue substitution level has BAB +3 instead of +2 for regular rogues. I didn't find an errata. Best exit point ever or typo?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 10:02 AM
A 217

The answer is both, of course. :smallwink: (I expect many DMs will revert this back to the standard +2 as a house rule, just as they give Swordsages x4 experience skill points at first level instead of x6.)

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-20, 10:09 AM
A 216:
Starmantle (both a spell and a cloak, from BoED) allows you to do this for nonmagical weapon attacks, destroying the weapon attacking you in the process, and with evasion A 15 DC REFLEX save to avoid attacks from magical weapon attacks. Doesn't destroy the magic weapon

A216 correction

So, yes. Starmantle allows you to avoid magical weapon attacks with a reflex save.

Gnoman
2011-05-20, 10:10 AM
A 217

The answer is both, of course. :smallwink: (I expect many DMs will revert this back to the standard +2 as a house rule, just as they give Swordsages x4 experience points at first level instead of x6.)

x4 experience points? Is that really what you meant?

Douglas
2011-05-20, 10:14 AM
A216 correction

So, yes. Starmantle allows you to avoid magical weapon attacks with a reflex save.
The save built in to Starmantle against magic weapons only cuts the damage in half. Evasion is needed to change that to negating the damage*. Expect flying DMGs if you actually try this in game.

* It's debatable whether this actually works, based on whether the attack or Starmantle's reduction should be considered the "normal" case that has to have reflex save for half for evasion to work.

Cog
2011-05-20, 10:17 AM
A 216 contention:
I stand by my original answer. You neglected part of the Starmantle's description in your "fix":

...Reflex saving throw (DC 15) each time he is struck by such a weapon; success indicates that the wearer takes only half damage from the weapon (rounded down).
Taking half damage is certainly a benefit, but one requires the Evasion ability to avoid the attack entirely, and avoid was the word used in the question.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 10:26 AM
x4 experience points? Is that really what you meant?
No, of course not. (Early morning brain inadequacy at work again.)

Cog
2011-05-20, 10:28 AM
No, of course not. (Early morning brain inadequacy at work again.)
You should have just claimed it was a joke, since the topic was typos anyway.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 10:40 AM
A 216 [correction]
Starmantle (both a spell and a cloak, from BoED) allows you to do this for nonmagical attacks, and with evasion to do so for magical weapon attacks. Starmantle does allow the character to avoid nonmagical weapon attacks. The answer for magical weapon attacks is incorrect, though.

Evasion

If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage.
Starmantle does not change the characteristics of any attack; instead, it changes the wearer.
The starmantle renders the wearer impervious to nonmagical weapon attacks ...
Contact with the starmantle does not destroy magic weapons or missiles, but the starmantle’s wearer is entitled to a Reflex saving throw (DC 15) each time he is struck by such a weapon; success indicates that the wearer takes only half damage from the weapon (rounded down). Evasion applies when the attack deals half damage on a successful Reflex save; it does not apply when the character takes half damage on a successful Reflex save for some other reason.

Ditto
2011-05-20, 02:42 PM
Repost, in case anyone wants to take a stab at this...

Q195

I realize I worded my earlier question improperly...
Can Detect Magic notice an inactive Symbol spell? Assume that Detecting does not itself activate the symbol. I know that Search cannot pinpoint the location for the purpose of disarming the trap, but I feel like Detect Magic should be pretty much a catchall for noticing *something* about a magical rune.

Q218
Is there any reason you can't take 10 on Knowledge or Spellcraft checks? It seems kind of counterintuitive, but I can't spot the rule disallowing it...

Lateral
2011-05-20, 03:26 PM
Q 219

Is Shining South the most up-to-date source for nonpsionic Thri-Kreen? For that matter, is it 3.0 or 3.5?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 03:41 PM
A 218

As long as you're not threatened or distracted, there's no reason you can't "take 10". These checks have restrictions on retries, but not on the initial roll.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 03:50 PM
A 195

Until it is triggered, the symbol of death is inactive (though visible and legible at a distance of 60 feet). ...
Note: Magic traps such as symbol of death are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a symbol of death and Disable Device to thwart it.

You detect magical auras. Given that a Symbol is hard to detect, the most straightforward interpretation of "inactive" for a Symbol spell is that it has no aura, so Detect Magic will be unable to detect the Symbol. The rune itself is visible, and using Read Magic to read the magical rune will always trigger the effect if it's set to discharge when read. Thus the less specific Detect Magic (at the same low spell level) cannot be used to avoid this high-level magical trap.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-20, 04:00 PM
A 219

To the best of my knowledge, Shining South (a 3.5 rules supplement; 2004 October) is the most up-to-date source for Thri-Kreen; it supersedes Monster Manual II (3.0; 2002 September), its 3.5 update (2003 July), and Expanded Psionics Handbook (2004 April).

ffone
2011-05-20, 07:07 PM
A 216 [correction] Starmantle does allow the character to avoid nonmagical weapon attacks. The answer for magical weapon attacks is incorrect, though.

Starmantle does not change the characteristics of any attack; instead, it changes the wearer. Evasion applies when the attack deals half damage on a successful Reflex save; it does not apply when the character takes half damage on a successful Reflex save for some other reason.

Pardon the comment in this 'streamlined' / high-procedure thread, but I'd just like to take a moment to say: Curm, I really appreciate your incisive input on many of these common DnD arguments, like Starmantle Cloak vs Evasion.

averagejoe
2011-05-21, 12:09 AM
Q220

I'm not sure I understand the bloodhound prestige classe's ability, "Ready and waiting." (Complete Adventurer p.29) What benefit(s) does this ability actually provide?

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-21, 12:14 AM
A 220

It is normally impossible to ready an action outside of initiative. Normally, two prepared sides meeting would simply roll initiative and begin combat as normal. One prepared side and one unprepared side would result in a surprise round. Nothing would really trigger though.

The Bloodhound can, for example, actually fire a crossbow at his mark as soon as they open a door, before initiative is even taken into account.

zagan
2011-05-21, 04:11 AM
Q 221

Can an Invisible spellcaster use the ventriloquism spell to make it seems that the verbal component of the spell he cast come from somewhere else ?

Yora
2011-05-21, 05:42 AM
A221: Yes. The spell says you can make your voice seem to be comming from somewhere else. There's no mention of concentration or taking an action, just a reference to "voice", which the verbal components are.

Dziadek
2011-05-21, 07:33 AM
Q.222
If my magic item raises my dexternity enough to meet the Prerequisites
for a Feat, can I learn said Feat (when I didn't meet the Prerequisites without it)?

DeltaEmil
2011-05-21, 08:11 AM
A 222

Yes, but you lose the benefit of the feat (and if it's the prerequisite of another feat chain, you lose them too) if you lose the benefits of the magic item and your ability score drops below the required number (like because it was stolen from you or it is disabled through a dispel magic spell), until it raises once again to the minimum score.

Revenance
2011-05-21, 12:57 PM
Q 223
I read from somewhere that the spells Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Evocation, and the class feature Shadow Illusion ignore the material, focus, and/or XP components of the replicated spell. Is that true, and if so, does it explicitly say that somewhere?

Yora
2011-05-21, 01:24 PM
A223: Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation have components listed as "V, S". They have the same effects as other spells, but they don't allow you to actually cast those spells instead.
So the components are always just V and S and nothing else.

Moriato
2011-05-21, 05:42 PM
Q 224
From the SRD on the psionic power Schism

Your mind splits into two independent parts. Each part functions in complete autonomy, like two characters in one body. Your new “second mind” does not control your body physically but is free to take one standard action in each round if the action is purely mental (such as manifesting a power) in the same round you take your normal actions.

Your second mind can manifest powers using your power point reserve, but only as if your manifester level were six lower than it is. Your second mind doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity when manifesting a power, because doing so doesn’t distract your primary mind.

Let's say I'm an 8th level psion and I use the Overchannel feat to manifest this power at a manifester level of 10. Does my "second mind" manifest at 2nd, or 4th level?

Also can my "second mind" use my Overchannel feat to increase its own manifester level?

ILM
2011-05-21, 06:46 PM
A223: Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation have components listed as "V, S". They have the same effects as other spells, but they don't allow you to actually cast those spells instead.
So the components are always just V and S and nothing else.
If it helps, I probably still have en e-mail from CustServ confirming it - though we all know the value of a CustServ email.

Taelas
2011-05-21, 07:01 PM
A224:
4th and No.

Overchannel increases all manifester-level-based effects (including things like duration), and schism is based on manifester level.

It cannot use Overchannel as Overchannel is not a purely mental effect.

Gnoman
2011-05-22, 01:36 AM
Q225

Does a bear warrior turning into a bear provoke an AOO?

NineThePuma
2011-05-22, 02:01 AM
Q226:

The Double Weapons are described in relation to two weapon fighting as follows:

A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

As I currently am reading it, nothing in this makes the weapon less than a two handed weapon. Is this reading in error?

kardar233
2011-05-22, 02:35 AM
Q227:

The Avenging Executioner Prestige Class in Complete Scoundrel has the ability Dread Blade, which states:

You treat shaken, frightened, or panicked creatures as flat-footed
for the purpose of dealing sudden strike damage.

Would this qualify for Sneak Attack damage as well?

Q228:

Can an initiator choose to learn maneuvers based on his initiator level gained from total character level?

For example, could a level 10 character who takes their first level in Warblade be able to choose 3rd level maneuvers, as their initiator level is 6 (10/2+1)?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-22, 02:46 AM
A 226

You treat a double weapon as a two-handed weapon if you attack with only one end. You treat it as a combination of one-handed weapon and light off hand weapon if you choose to attack with both ends. It's not "less" than a two-handed weapon; it's simply in a different category. This difference allows more options.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-22, 02:55 AM
A 227 No.

The equivalency of sudden strike and sneak attack is limited. From page 8 of Complete Adventurer:
SUDDEN STRIKE AND SNEAK ATTACK
For the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, and similar options that require a minimum number of sneak attack extra damage dice, treat the ninja’s sudden strike ability as the equivalent of sneak attack. Dread Blade's benefit is limited to sudden strike only.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-22, 02:59 AM
A 228

Yes, as long as you abide by all other class stipulations. In your example 11th level character, you begin play as <Other> 10/Warblade 1 knowing only a 1st level stance regardless of your initiator level.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-22, 03:22 AM
A 225 No.

Bear Form is a Supernatural ability, and Supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 07:51 AM
A226 Additional: See also #168:

Q 168: Do you get 1.5x Str to attacks with both ends of a double weapon, since double weapons are two-handed weapons, and the "one-handed & light weapon" thing in the description only refers to TWF penalties.

A 168 No.

From the Equipment chapter:
A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.
From the Combat chapter:
Double Weapons

You can use a double weapon to make an extra attack with the off-hand end of the weapon as if you were fighting with two weapons. The penalties apply as if the off-hand end of the weapon were a light weapon.You would get 1x STR mod on the "main hand" end, and ½x STR mod on the "off hand" end, just as though you were fighting with a one-handed weapon and a light weapon..

Lateral
2011-05-22, 08:45 AM
Q 229

If you have a double weapon with the Morphing property, does it morph into 2-handed weapons, other double weapons, 1-handed weapons, light weapons, or some combination of the above?

Never mind, withdrawn. You enchant each side separately so it doesn't matter.

Pigkappa
2011-05-22, 08:15 PM
Q 229
A Dominated character receives this order: "Act normally until your party finds the Sun Sword. Then steal it and bring it to me."

What is the Sense Motive DC to determine that an enchantment effect is going on before the party has found the Sun Sword? He has received an order, but he won't "attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities" since there's no command to be carried out.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 08:32 PM
Q 229

If you have a double weapon with the Morphing property, does it morph into 2-handed weapons, other double weapons, 1-handed weapons, light weapons, or some combination of the above?

Never mind, withdrawn. You enchant each side separately so it doesn't matter.A 229

Double weapons are two-handed weapons, no matter how you use them, and Morphing describes how it works with them, so assumedly they can be enhanced with Morphing.

Cog
2011-05-22, 08:56 PM
A 229 230:
A target will follow orders to the best of their ability, but the Dominate spell doesn't make them any more capable of such abilities. While a Dominated character may try to act normally, they are doing so under magical influence - they're "trying too hard", perhaps - and so, as the target is acting under orders, the standard sense motive DC of 15 applies.

Thurbane
2011-05-22, 09:47 PM
Q231

This might be a really obvious one, but it's something I've never noticed before. Alter Self gives, among other things, any bonus racial feats possessed by the new form.

If you were a non-human assuming the form of a Human, would you receive the Human bonus feat for the duration? i.e. any feat you qualify for?

Cog
2011-05-22, 09:52 PM
A 231:
Going by the wording in the SRD, humans don't get an actual bonus feat, the sort tagged with a superscript B; they just get an "extra" feat. Keep in mind that bonus feats are obtained regardless of qualifications, while the human feat is not.

I'd say no.

Greenish
2011-05-22, 09:59 PM
bonus feats are obtained regardless of qualificationsQ 232: Really?

Cog
2011-05-22, 10:02 PM
A 232:
In the context of racial bonus feats, anyway.

Sometimes a creature has one or more bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B). Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat.

Thurbane
2011-05-22, 10:23 PM
A 232:
In the context of racial bonus feats, anyway.
A 232 cont.

I just wish there was a Human monster entry to check how it was notated. From memory, some Human sample stat block for PrCs etc. do have the superscipt B after their bonus feat.

kardar233
2011-05-23, 02:38 AM
Q233:

Does the Ghost-Faced Killer's Frightful Strike ability gain Power Attack modifiers to its DC?

A successful Will save (DC10+Ghost-Faced Killer's class level+Ghost-Faced Killer's Cha modifier+damage bonus from Power Attack on the Frightful Attack) negates the effect.

For example, a (Charger)5/GFK3 with Cha 16 makes a Leaping Frightful Attack with a two-handed weapon, for a -8 to hit. Would this mean that the Save DC for the Frightful Attack is (10+3+3+32)?

Kaww
2011-05-23, 03:54 AM
Q234

Does cleave work when you kill an enemy with an attack of opportunity?

Q235

Does point blank shot give extra damage to holly water or alchemist's fire?

My rulings were:
234. Yes, but there is still the limit of one cleave per round.
235. No.

Players insisted on me checking here.

ILM
2011-05-23, 04:53 AM
A233: Yes
A234: Yes
A235: Yes

Woohoo! :smallsmile:.

More details on 235: flasks are splash weapons, which are just a subtype of ranged weapons. PBS gives bonuses to ranged weapons, ergo, yes.

Runestar
2011-05-23, 06:32 AM
Q234

Does cleave work when you kill an enemy with an attack of opportunity?

Q235

Does point blank shot give extra damage to holly water or alchemist's fire?

My rulings were:
234. Yes, but there is still the limit of one cleave per round.
235. No.

Players insisted on me checking here.

The damage from point blank shot applies only to the initial throwing damage, not the splash damage (which has no attack roll involved).

Baldin
2011-05-23, 06:40 AM
Q:236 Animate weapon (complete mage) states the next:
Treat a light
weapon as an object two size categories
smaller than its wielder, a one-handed
weapon as one size category smaller than
its wielder, and a two-handed weapon as
an object of the same size as its wielder.

I, as a gnome, have a gargantuan greatsword and cast this spell on it. due to what i stated above does this mean the weapon counts as being small
since i am its "wielder"?

Also the spell says:

and it gains
a bonus on attack rolls equal to the ability
modifier used to set your spell save DCs.

Does this mean if i have an intel of 24(so a +7) that its attack is just +7 or do i take the BAB from a gargantuan animated object, or my BAB + int mod?

cheers
baldin

Curmudgeon
2011-05-23, 08:10 AM
A 236

A Gnome is a Small creature. As such, it cannot wield a Gargantuan two-handed weapon at all.
Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
Your weapon leaps from your hands, suddenly capable of fighting on its own.Animate Weapon specifies that its benefit applies to a wielded weapon, and thus your Gnome character could not use the spell on a two-handed weapon larger than Small.
The weapon doesn't gain the benefit of any of your class features, feats, or other special abilities that would improve its combat ability. BAB is a class feature, so the animated weapon's attack bonus is solely your spellcasting ability modifier.

Baldin
2011-05-23, 08:27 AM
Q236 continued

The spell does not say you have to wield the weapon in order to cast the spell on it, it only tells that the target is a weapon touched.

So if i dont wield it and put it on the ground and then touch it with this spell it is a viable target the way i read this spell.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-23, 08:45 AM
A 236 continued

The spell does not say you have to wield the weapon in order to cast the spell on it, it only tells that the target is a weapon touched.

So if i dont wield it and put it on the ground and then touch it with this spell it is a viable target the way i read this spell.
While the Target field of Animate Weapon does specify "Weapon touched", you need to read all of the spell.
Your weapon leaps from your hands, suddenly capable of fighting on its own. It must be your weapon, wielded in your hands, as specified in the spell description.

The descriptive text provides constraints on a spell just as much as the Target specification does. From the overview of the Magic chapter in the Player's Handbook (page 177):
Descriptive Text

This portion of a spell description details what the spell does and how it works. Animate Weapon works on a weapon you wield.

ILM
2011-05-23, 11:10 AM
Q237: What's the duration on the Celebrant of Sharess' Inspire Desire ability? (PGtF p178) Does it end when the fascinate effect ends?

cd4
2011-05-23, 12:44 PM
Q238 Does the shieldbearer spell (SPC p188) give the normal penalties of wearing a shield? These include arcane spell failure, armour check penalty, non-proficency and any others I have forgotten.

Supplement: If the shield has bonuses like fortification do they affect the user?

GeminiVeil
2011-05-23, 05:36 PM
Q239
Maybe obvious question, I don't know. I'm DM, friend wants to play a druid that is either in it's middle or old age. When said character uses it's wild shape (let's say into a bear) do those stats reflect the age?

Normal Brown bear:
STR27 DEX13 CON19 INT2 WIS12 CHA6
Do they stay this or does it become, assuming old age:
STR24 DEX10 CON16 INT4 WIS14 CHA8?

Koury
2011-05-23, 05:38 PM
A239

No, age penalties are not carried over into the new form. Also, the Druid retains his own mental stats (and HP, despite CON his changing) when wild shaping.

GeminiVeil
2011-05-23, 06:13 PM
A239

No, age penalties are not carried over into the new form. Also, the Druid retains his own mental stats (and HP, despite CON his changing) when wild shaping.

Q239 cont
I notice you said penalties. Does that mean that he retains the bonus from his age to mental stats while wildshaping?

olthar
2011-05-23, 06:17 PM
sure this has been asked but,
Q 240: For purposes of spells like alter self or polymorph, what is a dragonborn character considered?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-23, 06:38 PM
A 240

A Dragonborn character retains their original type and subtype. Furthermore, the term "template" isn't used for the Rite of Rebirth, so that's not a restriction. While you cannot acquire a Dragonborn or other advanced monster form without specific DM approval, a Dragonborn character could use Alter Self just as they could before their transformation.

Koury
2011-05-23, 06:40 PM
Q239 cont
I notice you said penalties. Does that mean that he retains the bonus from his age to mental stats while wildshaping?

Yes. His mental scores remain unchanged.

soulsabre345
2011-05-24, 04:57 AM
Q241

Where is the rules listing that a creature similar to a centaur (or a tauric creature) counts as mounted for the purposes of lance damage doubling?

ILM
2011-05-24, 05:04 AM
Q242: Dumb question: I have 2 claws as my primary natural weapon. On a standard action, do I get one or two claw attacks?

Cog
2011-05-24, 08:34 AM
A 242:
A standard action allows for only a single attack unless you have some ability that specifically states otherwise.

Cog
2011-05-24, 08:36 AM
A 241:
There is no such rule that I'm aware of, however it is suggested by the feats of the Zelekhut inevitable, a centauroid construct which makes use of Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge.

Douglas
2011-05-24, 09:21 AM
A241

The Centaur monster entry specifically notes that it gets double damage when charging with a lance, "just as a rider on a mount does." I am not aware of any general rule that automatically extends that to other "centaur-like" creatures.

Forged Fury
2011-05-24, 10:30 AM
A241The Centaur monster entry specifically notes that it gets double damage when charging with a lance, "just as a rider on a mount does." I am not aware of any general rule that automatically extends that to other "centaur-like" creatures.
A 241, Additional Note
As far as I can tell, that ability is not carried through to the Centaur entry in Races of the Wild where PC Centaurs are discussed (at least it isn't in the racial ability block).

Coidzor
2011-05-24, 11:41 AM
Q243: Does Solid Fog make it so that a flying creature that has stalled due to having average/poor/clumsy maneuverability only falls for 5 feet a round while any part of it is in the fog? And when they get out of it, do they fall 150 feet that next round or 300 feet? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions)

Q244: On a related note, does Solid Fog effect a creature any differently if it is partially out of the fog due to being Huge or Gargantuan or Colossal or do the parts of it still in the fog mean that it still has that limitation on movement until it is completely free?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-24, 11:48 AM
A 243

That one's a DM's call. Solid Fog affects a creature "attempting to move", which is not what a stalled winged creature is doing, exactly.

A 244

Solid Fog impedes movement of the parts of a creature in the affected square. Excepting shapable swarms, that's going to slow down the creature as a whole.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-24, 12:41 PM
Q245: Besides the spiked chain, are there any other reach weapons that also threaten adjacent squares?

Q246: What did Knowledge (law) become in D&D 3.5?

Yora
2011-05-24, 12:47 PM
A246: It's listed under knowledge (local) along with other local traditions and customs.

Forged Fury
2011-05-24, 12:49 PM
A 246

•Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)

That would be my guess.

Edit: Too slow...

Cog
2011-05-24, 02:15 PM
A 245:
The Spinning Sword (Secrets of Sarlona) and the Kusari-Gama (DMG)

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-24, 07:38 PM
Q246

Is a 10th level Planar Shepherd Banishable on the material? They become outsiders native to their chosen plane.

jpreem
2011-05-25, 04:05 AM
q247
If i haven't taken an action last round. And now I'm being presented to make an attack of opportunity- then can I choose to use Power Attack for X on this.
On the other hand if I had used a Power Attack for X on my turn the attack of opportunity would just use that?

Cog
2011-05-25, 07:20 AM
A 246:
Yes.

Cog
2011-05-25, 07:27 AM
Q 247:
Power Attack requires two things: you must make the decision on your "action", and you must not yet have made any attack rolls this round. You clearly fulfill the latter; while attacks of opportunity are not given an entry in the Actions in Combat section, they are presumably an action, so yes, you may.

Once you make a PA decision within a single round, though, you must use that same number until your turn begins again.

ILM
2011-05-25, 07:32 AM
Bumpage for
Q237: What's the duration on the Celebrant of Sharess' Inspire Desire ability? (PGtF p178) Does it end when the fascinate effect ends?
Also, Q248: on Southern Magician: it is usable once per two spellcaster levels. Does that mean I get to add all classes, or do I just use the one with the most spellcaster levels? (i.e. Bard 2/Cleric 4: 2 or 3 uses/day?)

Cog
2011-05-25, 07:44 AM
A 248:
You have two spellcaster levels in Bard, and without language to exclude them, they qualify you for a third use of the feat per day.

ILM
2011-05-25, 08:47 AM
Q249: Can I make a "permanent" Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion (including whatever contents may have been brought there) by casting the spell again right before it expires?

Cog
2011-05-25, 10:40 AM
A 249:
MMM is a (Creation) effect; all the spell does is create a mansion, and without specific language otherwise, it how no power to maintain a location that's already been created.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-25, 01:55 PM
Re: A 247

Power Attack requires two things: you must make the decision on your "action", and you must not yet have made any attack rolls this round. You clearly fulfill the latter; while attacks of opportunity are not given an entry in the Actions in Combat section, they are presumably an action
Rules Compendium defines an attack of opportunity as "No Action" (see page 8), so expect many DMs to disallow Power Attack in this case. Because of the terminology used this question falls in a gray area, without a clear answer. Ask your DM.

Elric VIII
2011-05-25, 03:38 PM
Q 250

Is there anything preventing a LG PrC Pally (or simply a normal Paladin) from worshipping a LN diety like Wee Jas?

Taelas
2011-05-25, 03:40 PM
A250:
No, nothing prevents it.

You may worship a deity with an alignment one step removed from your own.

Savannah
2011-05-25, 04:34 PM
A 250 correction

You may worship a deity with an alignment one step removed from your own.

This applies only to clerics. No other classes have any restrictions on what deity they can worship, although the players handbook does mention that you should "consider first the deities most appropriate to the character's race, class, and alignment" (PH 106).

Edit:
On looking back, I should change that to say "no other core classes", as I'm sure there's something, somewhere out there with it. Look at the "alignment" section on the class in question, as that's where it's explained for the cleric.

Elric VIII
2011-05-25, 06:18 PM
A 250 correction

This applies only to clerics. No other classes have any restrictions on what deity they can worship, although the players handbook does mention that you should "consider first the deities most appropriate to the character's race, class, and alignment" (PH 106).

Well, the idea is a quick dip into PrC Pally and then RKV from there, and RKV is basically a Paladin of Wee Jas.

Also,

Q 251
Can a non-initiator take Martial Study at level 1? Basically, is there a minimum of IL 1?

Savannah
2011-05-25, 06:21 PM
Re: A 250

On looking back, I should change that to say "no other core classes", as I'm sure there's something, somewhere out there with it. Look at the "alignment" section on the class in question, as that's where it's explained for the cleric.

dextercorvia
2011-05-25, 09:50 PM
A 251

There is nothing stopping a non-initiator from taking the feat at level 1. However, such a character will be unable to choose any maneuvers, since their IL is 0.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-26, 12:38 AM
Q 252

If I use War Weaver to cast a spell like polymorph, will all party members assume the same form, or can I choose separately for each of them?

Cog
2011-05-26, 12:48 AM
A 252:
You cast the spell at the time you place it within the tapestry, and you must make any relevant decisions about a spell when you cast it (excluding spells that can be modified after casting, such as Shapechange). As you are only casting a single iteration of the spell, you only have one chance to make the decisions, and so each later recipient of the spell will receive the same version of it. You could place Polymorph into your tapestry twice, filling two slots, and simply neglect use some targets for either instance of it, resulting in two sets of polymorphed targets and so two sets of forms.

ILM
2011-05-26, 03:27 AM
(excluding spells that can be modified after casting, such as Shapechange).
Well Shapechange has Personal range, so you can't cast it in the tapestry anyway.

abadguy
2011-05-26, 04:35 AM
Q253
Is a Warlock using the Fell Flight subject to non-lethal damage as per Overland Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#overlandMovement) rules?

Q254
Can a Warlock using Fell Flight or a character using magical means of flight like Fly or Overland Flight be tripped while in the air?

Cog
2011-05-26, 07:11 AM
Well Shapechange has Personal range, so you can't cast it in the tapestry anyway.
I was just using it as an example of the mechanism I was talking about; it came to mind since I was discussing Polymorph anyway, and I didn't want to hunt something else down. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 09:12 AM
A 253 Yes.
Overland Movement

Characters covering long distances cross-country use overland movement. Overland movement is measured in miles per hour or miles per day. A day represents 8 hours of actual travel time. For rowed watercraft, a day represents 10 hours of rowing. For a sailing ship, it represents 24 hours. Other than the exceptions for watercraft, this rule isn't specific to any particular movement mode. So 8 hours of walking over the land or 8 hours of flying over the land are equal under the rules.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-26, 09:20 AM
A 254 No.

Tripping forces an opponent to drop to the ground by knocking their supporting legs out from under them. A creature sustained in the air by magic will drop to the ground when you successfully attack their supporting magic, not their (non-supporting) legs. (You can trip a winged flying opponent by attacking their supporting wings.)

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-26, 06:27 PM
Q255

Is a player required to take a feat at the level, or can the player delay the feat until the level after (when certain prequisites are met for taking the feat)

Savannah
2011-05-26, 06:40 PM
A 255

You must take the feat at the level you get it (3rd, 6th, 9th, etc). You cannot delay taking a feat.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-05-27, 02:45 AM
Q256:

If you have reach, and use it to successfully hit an opponent with an attack of opportunity while they are moving towards you, and they still had a standard action left, could they use that action to just do what you prevented them from doing the first time?

Taelas
2011-05-27, 03:53 AM
A256:
A normal attack does not actually prevent them from completing the action, as long as it does not alter their condition. Their original move action would be resolved as if you had not attacked.

Gnoman
2011-05-27, 07:27 AM
Q257

If I use a Web spell on flat ground, is it considered anchored. My DM was unsure do to the wording of the spell. (He's not an experienced DM, and there's never been a csting of that particular spell in a game I ran, so I'm not too familiar with it either.)

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 08:33 AM
A 257 No.

Web requires "two or more solid and diametrically opposed points", which flat ground does not provide; without those, "the web collapses upon itself and disappears" (i.e., the spell fails). Basically, the spell fizzles under such circumstances.

Finkmilkana
2011-05-27, 09:15 AM
Q258

Does a Natural Weapon, that gets x1.5 str bonus, count as a 2 handed weapon for the purpose of Power Attack?
I believe yes, but i can't find the rule.

Kuma Kode
2011-05-27, 09:26 AM
Q258

Does a Natural Weapon, that gets x1.5 str bonus, count as a 2 handed weapon for the purpose of Power Attack?
I believe yes, but i can't find the rule.

Nope. It only mentions that such natural weapons have ×1.5 Str bonus for damage, not that they count as 2-handed in any way.

Ditto
2011-05-27, 10:15 AM
Q259

Does a swimming creature (or one floating at the edge of a pool - and without any swim speed, he just fell in) have any particular penalties to AC? Do they loose their Dex? Are they considered flat-footed?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 11:16 AM
A 259

The answer is no to all of your questions. Swimming is both a movement mode and an associated skill, similar to climbing. Unlike climbing, though, you don't lose your DEX bonus to AC while swimming. Flat-footed status applies when you haven't acted yet in combat, so it's possible to be flat-footed while swimming, just not from the act of swimming itself.

Ditto
2011-05-27, 01:37 PM
Q260
Follow-up on Swimming... is it assumed that if you don't move while in water (spend a move action, make a Swim check), you'll sink?

The Swim skill doesn't say that you NEED to use it to float, but it seems weird that you could just stay in one place and make a full attack action or cast spells or whatever else as normal, except that you're half-submerged in water.

Rejakor
2011-05-27, 03:21 PM
Q254
Can a Warlock using Fell Flight or a character using magical means of flight like Fly or Overland Flight be tripped while in the air?

Yep. The prone condition doesn't specify that a person has to be on the ground in order to be prone, and improved trip doesn't state anywhere that it can't be used on flying creatures.

Additionally in the Rules Compendium, pg 145, if you trip a winged flying character, they stall as if they hadn't moved forward that round and fall. Ofc, this only works on winged creatures with average or worse fly speeds, which the warlock is neither, but it's a nice little thing to know. I like to use bolas (A&EG, I think?) to trip airborne enemies with a poor or avg fly speed to bring them to the ground. A net is also useful for this.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 03:34 PM
A 260

The Swim skill doesn't say that you NEED to use it to float, but it seems weird that you could just stay in one place and make a full attack action or cast spells or whatever else as normal, except that you're half-submerged in water. Actually, it does say that; you just have to put the pieces together.

Check: Make a Swim check once per round while you are in the water. Success means you may swim at up to one-half your speed (as a full-round action) or at one-quarter your speed (as a move action). If you fail by 4 or less, you make no progress through the water. If you fail by 5 or more, you go underwater. Failing to make a Swim check means you sink. If you don't want to sink you are required to make a Swim check each round while in the water. If you succeed you may choose to tread water rather than move somewhere, but the check is not optional if you want to avoid sinking.

Action: A successful Swim check allows you to swim one-quarter of your speed as a move action or one-half your speed as a full-round action. You can use the check to swim as a move action or a full-round action, as you choose. You can't make a full attack or any other full-round action that prevents you from swimming.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 03:36 PM
Yep. The prone condition doesn't specify that a person has to be on the ground in order to be prone
That's exactly wrong, as you can see in the rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone).
Prone

The character is on the ground.

Taelas
2011-05-27, 03:37 PM
Yep. The prone condition doesn't specify that a person has to be on the ground in order to be prone, and improved trip doesn't state anywhere that it can't be used on flying creatures.

You might want to read this section:

prone: Lying on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot used a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.
(emphasis mine)

So even if you can trip a flying creature, it could not fall prone (unless your argument is that they would instantaneously hit the ground as soon as they are tripped, which is beyond silly). If you want to trip a flying creature, you attack its source of flight; such as wings for a winged creature. You cannot trip someone who is using magically sustained flight.

Elric VIII
2011-05-27, 06:33 PM
So even if you can trip a flying creature, it could not fall prone (unless your argument is that they would instantaneously hit the ground as soon as they are tripped, which is beyond silly). If you want to trip a flying creature, you attack its source of flight; such as wings for a winged creature. You cannot trip someone who is using magically sustained flight.

Assuming that attempting to trip a flying creature would reduce its speed enough, D&D rules seems to say explicitly that it does instantly fall 150 feet next round.

Minimum Forward Speed: If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed at a Reflex saving throw (DC 20) to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

The question is, does tripping it slow it's movement?

Cog
2011-05-27, 06:40 PM
A winged creature can be tripped, and if it is, it falls as if it didn’t maintain its minimum forward speed.
The first increment of falling is indeed instantaneous.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 08:32 PM
The first increment of falling is indeed instantaneous.
I don't see how you get "instantaneous" out of "descending 150 feet in the first round of falling".

Cog
2011-05-27, 08:35 PM
Begins instantly, is what I meant. If it's tripped, it falls; there's no clause that it begins to fall on its next turn or anything like that.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-27, 08:44 PM
OK, that's as it should be. Gravity doesn't wait for someone's turn to come around in the initiative rotation.

Fisticuffs
2011-05-27, 11:46 PM
Q 261
How does using and refreshing Maneuvers work outside of combat?

Cog
2011-05-27, 11:53 PM
A 261:
You do not need to be fighting an opponent to keep track of time in rounds. Usually there's no reason to, but the maneuver system provides such a reason.

If you are a Swordsage without Adaptive Style and are worried about refreshing all your maneuvers, ToB page 40 has your answer:

...if a character makes no attacks of any kind, initiates no new maneuvers, and is not targeted by any enemy attacks for 1 full minute, he can recover all expended maneuvers.

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-28, 12:10 AM
OK, that's as it should be. Gravity doesn't wait for someone's turn to come around in the initiative rotation.

Oh really now? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121031)

Fisticuffs
2011-05-28, 12:16 AM
Thanks, that's what I figured reading its refresh entry...it just seemed wrong.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-28, 12:29 AM
A 261:
ToB page 40 has your answer:
...if a character makes no attacks of any kind, initiates no new maneuvers, and is not targeted by any enemy attacks for 1 full minute, he can recover all expended maneuvers.

Q262
So if the ToB character is protected by a Sanctuary Spell for 10 rounds, and don't initiate any maneuvers, they can refresh all their maneuvers while in combat?

Cog
2011-05-28, 12:36 AM
A 262:
The introduction to that sentence became more relevant than I suspected:

In the case of a long, drawn-out series of fights, or if an adept is out of combat entirely, assume that...
If you require the protection of a Sanctuary spell for your safety, it is likely you are not entirely out of combat.

Ballis
2011-05-28, 01:20 AM
Q263 Are racial substitution levels just class levels with different bonuses? Specifically, if a Warforged artificer takes all three sub levels (1, 4, and 5) is his next level Artificer 6 like normal? Also, does he still gain his craft reserve for those three levels? The lack of mention of it for the three levels makes me assume it does.

Coidzor
2011-05-28, 03:45 AM
A263: Yes, his next level would be Artificer 6 with its normal benefits. I'm inclined to agree with you on the craft reserve but I don't know for sure if the RAW has anything in it one way or the other, offhand.

zagan
2011-05-28, 07:32 AM
Q 264

I remembered reading somewhere that if you use permanency on the detect magic spell, it automatically detect thing as if you've concentrate for 1 round.
Is that how it really work ? And if so where can I find it in the rule ?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-28, 12:34 PM
A 264

I suspect you were reading someone's house rule, because there's no mention of such an effect of Permanency in the Detect Magic spell description, nor in the Detect Magic entry in the Permanency spell description. The permanent Detect Magic spell doesn't require any action to be cast, but it provides no aura information until you start studying an area or subject in your line of sight.

zagan
2011-05-28, 01:02 PM
A 264

I suspect you were reading someone's house rule, because there's no mention of such an effect of Permanency in the Detect Magic spell description, nor in the Detect Magic entry in the Permanency spell description. The permanent Detect Magic spell doesn't require any action to be cast, but it provides no aura information until you start studying an area or subject in your line of sight.

Okay, thanks.

Rarodil
2011-05-28, 01:12 PM
A 262:

If you require the protection of a Sanctuary spell for your safety, it is likely you are not entirely out of combat.

Being out of combat is irrelevant anyway. The preceding sentence indicates that all maneuvers are recovered upon the end of combat. The quoted sentence must apply within combat, so I would say yes, Sanctuary would work.

Cog
2011-05-28, 01:18 PM
Being out of combat is irrelevant anyway. The preceding sentence indicates that all maneuvers are recovered upon the end of combat. The quoted sentence must apply within combat, so I would say yes, Sanctuary would work.
Being out of combat is irrelevant to whether combat has ended?

"In combat" is not a specifically defined game term, to my knowledge. What conditions you must satisfy to either be out of combat or for combat to have ended would then be up to the DM.

Rarodil
2011-05-28, 01:36 PM
Being out of combat is irrelevant to whether combat has ended?

"In combat" is not a specifically defined game term, to my knowledge. What conditions you must satisfy to either be out of combat or for combat to have ended would then be up to the DM.

Being out of combat is irrelevant to the question of whether Sanctuary would work because it is not a required condition for this to trigger. As I read it, a ToB character gets their maneuvers back when they have not attacked, been targeted, or initiated a maneuver for one minute. The question becomes whether or not someone who fails the will save on Sanctuary still targeted you.

Zaq
2011-05-28, 03:40 PM
262 Comment

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but you would have to be a Swordsage of 18th level or higher to not be able to refresh all your maneuvers with 10 free rounds, and even then you'd be no more than 1 or 2 shy of the maximum.

264 Comment

Arcane Sight can be made permanent. Perhaps you were thinking of that?

Douglas
2011-05-28, 09:07 PM
A264

There is a clause to that effect for the Persistent Spell metamagic feat. That's probably what you were thinking of.

Elric VIII
2011-05-28, 09:08 PM
Q 265

Can Wildshape be dispelled since it is based on a spell?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-28, 09:25 PM
A 265 No.

I think you're confused. Wild Shape is a version of the Alternate Form special ability. That's a Supernatural ability.
Supernatural Abilities (Su)

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-29, 01:19 AM
Q266

Is metamagic applied simultaneously or in a specific order?

That is, can a caster apply (for example) Reach on a touch spell and then apply Persist on the reach touch spell, even though the original spell range (touch) disqualifies the spell for the Persist metamagic?

Even more specific: can a cleric apply Reach to Spell Resistance, and then apply Persist to the Reach Spell Resistance?

Runestar
2011-05-29, 04:04 AM
Q266

Is metamagic applied simultaneously or in a specific order?

That is, can a caster apply (for example) Reach on a touch spell and then apply Persist on the reach touch spell, even though the original spell range (touch) disqualifies the spell for the Persist metamagic?

Even more specific: can a cleric apply Reach to Spell Resistance, and then apply Persist to the Reach Spell Resistance?

You can apply them in the most beneficial order.

gibbo88
2011-05-29, 04:28 AM
Q267 a) If I put a severed head in extradimensional space, specifically a Handy Haversack will it decay while in said storage?
b) Will it cover other things in blood/gore if not properly sealed?

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-29, 05:07 AM
A 267 Yes and yes.

A Handy Haversack does not provide temporal stasis to the things within, nor encase items inside a force field. It is simply a backpack with extremely deep pockets.

Yora
2011-05-29, 06:32 AM
A266: The one precedent I know is combining Maximized Spell and Empower Spell. And I think it's even in the PHB where it says, that both metamagic effects are applied to the original spell seperately.
(That is, for a CL 6th firefall you roll 6d6 first and then you deal 36 damage + 50% of the damage rolled.)

If you read it that it applies to all combinations of metamagic feats, you would not be able to do what you asked.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-29, 10:26 AM
A266:
If you read it that it applies to all combinations of metamagic feats, you would not be able to do what you asked.

You can apply them in the most beneficial order.

With 2 seperate answers I will speak with my DM. Unless people can give me quotes, page numbers . . .

Yora
2011-05-29, 10:48 AM
Looking it up, the example I mentioned is part of the Maximize Spell feat and only mentions what happens when combining Maximize Spell and Empower Spell. It's writen as a rule for a specific case, with no mention of any general rule. So applying metamagic feats in the most benefical order is not explicitly ruled out by RAW.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-29, 02:42 PM
Q 268

a) Does a cleric with levels in the "Prestige Paladin" class from the SRD qualify to take the feat "Battle Blessing" from the Complete Champion?

b) If yes, how does this feat interact with his spellcasting? Namely, do ALL of his spells now count as paladin spells?

Revenance
2011-05-29, 07:19 PM
Q 269
Do supernatural abilities, like Wildshape, give off a magical aura?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-29, 07:50 PM
A 268 No.

The Prestige Paladin prestige class is a different class from the Paladin base class. Further, a Prestige Paladin does not cast Paladin spells, and thus does not qualify for Battle Blessing.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-29, 07:55 PM
A 269 No.

The general description of Supernatural abilities does not include any mention of an aura. Detect Magic is specific to magic items and ongoing spells, so that also would not register any aura from such abilities.

Fisticuffs
2011-05-29, 11:38 PM
Q 280
Is there a way to "refresh" Factotum's Inspiration Points outside of combat besides rest? Also I've heard there's a Factotum only feat in the book but I can't find it, can I get a page number?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-29, 11:47 PM
A 280

The specification for the Factotum's Inspiration Points includes only one mechanism for new IPs, and that doesn't include rest:
At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of inspiration points determined by his level (see Table 1–1). I don't know of any Factotum-only feat in Dungeonscape.

Thurbane
2011-05-30, 12:01 AM
Q 281

Would the force arrows of Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) be subject to SR and/or the effects of an Antimagic Shell?

Hadessniper
2011-05-30, 01:06 AM
Q 282

If at the end of Magic Jar's duration the original body is in an open portable hole within the range of the spell would the soul return to the body?

Yora
2011-05-30, 04:22 AM
A281: As it says "pure magical force", it's magical an won't work in an antimagic field.
Force is a kind of energy damage, and DR never applies to energy damage.

Yora
2011-05-30, 04:29 AM
A282: The spell description says nothing that it can work across planar boundaries, but mention that at least for sensing and attacking a life force, you have to be on the same plane.
Though not exactly "read as written", I think it's quite clear that this means the spell does not work across planar boundaries.

Second is the question, whether or not an "extradimensional space" like a bag of holding, is "not part of the plane" the bag is located on. "Dimension" is not the same word as "Plane". However, the word dimension is almost always used in fiction in the same way as plane, so I would say an extradimensional space is not part of a plane.
But if you deal with a Rules Lawyer, this is all interpretations and not read as written.

visigani
2011-05-30, 04:30 AM
Q 268

a) Does a cleric with levels in the "Prestige Paladin" class from the SRD qualify to take the feat "Battle Blessing" from the Complete Champion?

b) If yes, how does this feat interact with his spellcasting? Namely, do ALL of his spells now count as paladin spells?

A 268 Yes.

If you'll notice you "gain access", those spells do not become a part of your classes class spell list. In other words you're gaining access to paladin spells, not placing paladin spells into your class spell list.
Because you gain access and therefore may cast Paladin spells... you are eligibile for "Battle Blessing"...

and No. You may only use Battle Blessing to cast those Paladin spells.

UNIQUE SPELLS
The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists in the Player’s Handbook
(as well as similar lists in other books) contain a number of
spells that don’t appear on other classes’ spell lists. In general,
any character who enters one of these prestige classes should
gain access to spells unique to that class’s spell list from the
Player’s Handbook, at the same levels indicated for the standard
class. At the DM’s discretion, spells unique to that class’s spell
list found in other books may also be available, but on a case-bycase
basis. The DM may require such spells to be researched or
learned specifi cally by the character, rather than simply making
them freely available.

cd4
2011-05-30, 05:08 AM
Reasking this question and asking another:

Q238 Does the shieldbearer spell (SPC p188) give the normal penalties of wearing a shield? These include arcane spell failure, armour check penalty, non-proficency and any others I have forgotten.

Supplement: If the shield has bonuses like fortification do they affect the user?

Q283 If a lightning bolt hits a wall and deals enough damage to reduce the walls hitpoints to 0 is there a hole in the wall or is the wall reduced to rubble?

zagan
2011-05-30, 08:38 AM
Q 284

I'm confused about psicrystal. i've read repeatidly on this forum that they have the same Hd as their master and gain skill point and feat accordingly.
The problem being that nowhere it's is stat that they gain HD just that it's the same as their master and half it's hit points. knowing that they are the equivalent of familiar who do not gain feat this seem weird to me.
So do they or do they not gain feats ?

Forged Fury
2011-05-30, 08:47 AM
Q 280
Also I've heard there's a Factotum only feat in the book but I can't find it, can I get a page number?
A 280
The only Factotum specific feat I know of is Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606). It is found in a Wizards.com Class Chronicles feature.

Thurbane
2011-05-30, 08:56 AM
A281: As it says "pure magical force", it's magical an won't work in an antimagic field.
Force is a kind of energy damage, and DR never applies to energy damage.
I agree with the Antimagic Shell, but the second part of my question was about SR, not DR...

Elric VIII
2011-05-30, 09:03 AM
A 284

Its HD are equal to its master's HD, so when its master gains HD, then it also gains them. Anything that gains HD gains feats. This is similar to the Animal Companion or Special Mount gaining HD based on the class level of its master, it gains feats for those HD, stated here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm).

An animal companion gains additional skill points and feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

Also, see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) for rules on advancing a monster's HD.

As its Hit Dice increase, a creature’s attack bonuses and saving throw modifiers might improve. It gains more feats and skills, depending on its type, as shown on Table: Creature Improvement by Type.

AugustNights
2011-05-30, 09:15 AM
Q 285

How does hellfire and the divine half of divine fire damage interact with fire-specific vulnerabilities and regeneration. Are they simply another type of energy damage to be treated as their own type, or are they effectively fire energy, that ignore immunities and resistances?

Yora
2011-05-30, 09:22 AM
A284: The psicrystals stat block is found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm), where it also says that it has the same number of HD as the master, and half the maximum hp and the same saves as the master.
In the psicristal "as a familiar" description here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals), it also says that the psicrystal always has the same skill rank as the master.

Feats are not adressed in either description, so the default rules apply, that a creature (which the psicrystal is) with an Intelligence score (dito) gains a feat at 1st HD and one additional feat at 3rd, 6th, 9th and so on HD.
So while most things are fixed for psicrystals, feats can be picked any way you like, as long as the prerequsites are met.

Yora
2011-05-30, 09:27 AM
A285: Without knowing the exact wording of the effects you described, I assume it works the same as Flame Strike:

The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
In that case you roll damage normaly and split the resulting number in half. One half of the damage affects the target creature completely, the other half is first reduced by Fire Resistance before the remaining damage applies.
Since only half of the damage is actually fire damage and the other half is the undefined "divine power", the divine power damage would not trigger as fire damage regarding vulnerabilities and regeneration.

By RAW, it says that half of the damage is not fire damage.

Yora
2011-05-30, 09:40 AM
A283: Under damaging objects, it says that very large objects have separate hit points total for different sections, that is, they are effectively made up of many smaller objects. However, there is no further elaboration on this.

In the case of a wall, I'd say it depends on the size of the wall. I would consider a section to be 10x10 feet at the most. When the wall is bigger, it's just a 10x10 hole while the rest remains undamaged. But that's personal interpretation of the written material.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-30, 09:56 AM
Re: A 268

If you'll notice you "gain access", those spells do not become a part of your classes class spell list. In other words you're gaining access to paladin spells, not placing paladin spells into your class spell list.
Because you gain access and therefore may cast Paladin spells... you are eligibile for "Battle Blessing"...
A Prestige Paladin has no independent spellcasting capability, and a Cleric/Prestige Paladin just has advanced Cleric spellcasting. That spellcasting is described as follows:
Spells

A cleric casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. As I read this, "gain access" must necessarily imply adding those Paladin spells to the Cleric's spell list, since that's all a Cleric can cast. Given that, a Cleric/Prestige Paladin does not cast Paladin spells; rather, they're casting Cleric spells with access to an expanded spell list.

dextercorvia
2011-05-30, 10:12 AM
A283: Under damaging objects, it says that very large objects have separate hit points total for different sections, that is, they are effectively made up of many smaller objects. However, there is no further elaboration on this.

In the case of a wall, I'd say it depends on the size of the wall. I would consider a section to be 10x10 feet at the most. When the wall is bigger, it's just a 10x10 hole while the rest remains undamaged. But that's personal interpretation of the written material.

I'm away from the books at a the moment, but I seem to remember that HP for objects are given by volume, so you might not have to make a personal ruling there.

Taelas
2011-05-30, 11:37 AM
A 268 Yes.

By your interpretation, the character would be unable to cast the paladin spells, as they would have no spell slots for them. The cleric only casts from the cleric spell list, not from the paladin spell list.

Lateral
2011-05-30, 02:52 PM
Q 286

Is a Large Adamantine longsword's cost doubling factored in before or after the extra +3000 gp for being an Adamantine weapon? What about the masterwork cost?

DonEsteban
2011-05-30, 03:49 PM
Q 287 Does the bubble from the Planar Shepherd's Planar Bubble ability move with the caster or is it stationary? The description just says "you can create an area around yourself that emulates the environment of your chosen plane" and later that it "has a 20-foot radius and lasts as long as you concentrate [...]."

Lateral
2011-05-30, 05:10 PM
Q 288

Can a psicrystal deliver ranged touch powers? Would they then become melee touch powers since the psicrystal is delivering them?

Cog
2011-05-30, 05:37 PM
A 288:
"Touch powers" refers to powers with Range: Touch, not powers with ranged touch attack rolls.

Cog
2011-05-30, 05:40 PM
A 287:
The area of the effect is defined as "around yourself", not as "around the location where you initiate the effect". That it requires concentration is another indication that you continually provide the source of the effect, so it would move with you.

zagan
2011-05-31, 04:57 AM
Q 289

I just want a confirmation, the spell remove disease does not heal the ability damage that a creature could have taken from the disease it only mean that it has end and that the creature does not need to do fortitude saves anymore ?

Yora
2011-05-31, 05:09 AM
A286: Both the masterwork component and the adamantine material increase the cost by a flat +300 gp and +3,000 gp, regardless of the weapons size.