PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape ranger build

Kaeso
2011-04-21, 05:20 PM
Hey playground,

I'm planning to make a gestalt Fighter//Wildshape ranger for an arena game, and I'm planning to go no further than lvl five in wildshape ranger and then take some prestige classes that improve my wildshape like master of many forms, wildshaper and nature's warrior.

What I'm still unsure about is what feats I should take. I'm considering unarmed attack followed by improved grapple, because it would benefit any strong creatures (like bears) my character could change into, but what other feats would benefit my character?

Coidzor
2011-04-21, 05:23 PM
Why Fighter on the other side of the gestalt?

I'd recommend considering an exotic mouthpick weapon (+1 weapon property, Lords of Madness) possibly with sizing and looking into some Totemist levels or at least shape soulmeld+share soulmeld with your animal companion(Magic of Incarnum).

Lateral
2011-04-21, 05:27 PM
Fast/Swift Wild Shape are nice, since that way you don't lose a turn using wild shape. I'd actually go in for Wildshape Ranger 7, since that nets you Wild Shape 3/day, which should pretty much cover the whole day for you. Otherwise, there's nothing you really need. Crushing Weight of the Mountain is very nice on a grappler; take Martial Study (Mountain Hammer) and Martial Stance (CWotM).

Fighter is kind of pointless since you get full BAB anyway; I'd definitely switch it out for something else. If you really need bonus feats, replace it with Feat Rogue or Psychic Warrior; otherwise I might go with Ardent or Psion or some Tome of Battle class, because psionic powers and maneuvers can be used in wildshape without a feat. I highly suggest those over Fighter, since the only advantage of those levels is bonus feats.

Kaeso
2011-04-21, 05:47 PM
Why Fighter on the other side of the gestalt

It's a house rule, one side must be fighter no matter what and casters and ToB aren't allowed.

By the way, if it's considered important it's an arena-style game where each character has at least one fight per in-game week.

the_archduke
2011-04-21, 06:02 PM
If one side has to be fighter, why not have the other side be some spellcastingless Druid ACF/Master of Many Forms?

Kaeso
2011-04-21, 06:12 PM
If one side has to be fighter, why not have the other side be some spellcastingless Druid ACF/Master of Many Forms?

There are spell-less druid ACF's?

Lateral
2011-04-21, 07:05 PM
...Or just do a regular druid. There's no such thing as a spelless druid, and it would suck anyway.

Regular druid would have no disadvantages (since you've already got full BAB) and only advantages.

Greenish
2011-04-21, 07:12 PM
...Or just do a regular druid. There's no such thing as a spelless druid, and it would suck anyway.For a given value of "suck". A druid without spells would still be t3, easily.

Urpriest
2011-04-21, 07:14 PM
For a given value of "suck". A druid without spells would still be t3, easily.

Perhaps...but Wildshape Ranger gets more skill points and better class features. The only thing you'd lose is the animal companion. I'd stick with Wildshape Ranger personally, trading spellcasting for another bonus feat.

Coidzor
2011-04-21, 07:14 PM
It's a house rule, one side must be fighter no matter what and casters and ToB aren't allowed.

By the way, if it's considered important it's an arena-style game where each character has at least one fight per in-game week.

Ew. Well, At least try to get some ACFs out of it, I guess. Maybe see if you can get Zhentarim Fighter's Intimidation bonus funtimes as an extra bag in your tricks.

Perhaps...but Wildshape Ranger gets more skill points and better class features. The only thing you'd lose is the animal companion. I'd stick with Wildshape Ranger personally, trading spellcasting for another bonus feat.

I wouldn't say loses the animal companion, it just isn't as good. The Phynxkin Companion (DrM, p 13)for a ranger might, with natural bond, be worth considering still though.

Sword of the Arcane Order as well, possibly...

This old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-155607.html) might be of interest to you, OP.

Calintares
2011-04-22, 05:02 AM
I'd actually go in for Wildshape Ranger 7, since that nets you Wild Shape 3/day, which should pretty much cover the whole day for you.

Don't do that, Master of Many forms will net you all the wild shape uses you need, and even if that wasn't allowed it'd be better to take Ranger5/Natures Warrior 2 to get the same effect while at the same time getting some bonuses from NW.

As for Feats, you might consider Draconic wild shape at level 12 to get the breath attacks and speed of Dragons, the Shadow dragon especially. This is especially good if you only take 7 levels of MoMF.

If you're allowed to do it, absolutely take Assume Supernatural Ability (Savage Species)

Kaeso
2011-04-22, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, but I'm still torn on what feats to take before aquiring wildshape. I start with three feats (human, fighter, 1st level), and will get at least 4 other feats before aquiring wildshape. Unarmed strike and improved grapple are pretty much a given but what should I use the other five feats for?

Oh, and due to house rules I get mounted combat and animal affinity as bonus feats without wasting any feat slots on them.

Calintares
2011-04-22, 08:23 AM
Power attack-Cleave-Great Cleave never hurt anyone
Improved Initiative is always useful
Combat Reflexes might be nice for attacks of opportunity
Iron Will help you with what's going to be your worst save.