PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 advice!

boj0
2011-04-21, 05:42 PM
Now before everyone gets all excited suggesting me the lastest greatest, this isn't that kind of system advice thread. :smalltongue:

The problem is my Xbox 360 of 4 years has decided to stop working. :smallfrown: It's not a RRoD, but the disc reader won't work; it turns on fine, and I have access to everything on my hard drive, but it will not read any type of disc whatsoever.

Does anyone know of any common problems that cause this? Should I bring it to my local Games 'N' Go to get it repaired? Splurge and buy a shiny new toy?
I figure I'll just transfer and redownload if I need to, but I would like to avoid
spending more money than I have to.

Also, the extended warrenty I got already expired and I lost the manual saying if Microsoft covers this sort of thing :smallsigh: I know, awesome right?

So what say you Playground? I am easily manipulated by your opinions and will do what you suggest! /sarcasm

Toastkart
2011-04-21, 06:14 PM
When you put in a disk, does it still say open tray? From what you've described, this appears to be the case and what it basically means is the disc drive has failed in some way. It could be that the laser needs replacing, or the motor that spins the disc. I don't know of a way to tell other than opening the case and checking it out.

If you have a nearby repairshop that isn't expensive, I'd go with that. In my case, when mine failed in this way, I had neither warranty nor repairshop, so I spent about $40 and got a new disc drive off ebay and replaced it myself.

If you go that route, you have to make sure you get the correct drive that your xbox has, as there are 2-3 different ones that were used. There are pictures and guides that you can google for that kind of thing.

boj0
2011-04-21, 07:21 PM
When you put in a disk, does it still say open tray?

Yes.

From what you've described, this appears to be the case and what it basically means is the disc drive has failed in some way.

Fantastic :smallsigh: time to go the the repairshop.