PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Dirge of Coldhearth help

Kallisti
2011-04-21, 09:30 PM
So, for those unfamiliar with it, Dragon Age: Dirge of Coldhearth is a fan-created scenario in which you play as a group of templars who are fated to die gloriously buying the Tower time to mobilize and take down Knight-Commander Tamerlane, a rogue templar turned to diabolism. The problem is, I keep dying gloriously a little too early. By which I mean I can't survive either of the boss encounters you have to make it past to continue. So I'm wanting help, from more experienced Dragon Age players, ideally ones who've beaten Dirge of Coldhearth.

For the record, I'm playing on Heroic mode (a variant introduced by Dirge of Coldhearth) and Nightmare difficulty. Ideally I'd like to avoid changing that.

You start off at level 15 with some generic gear, and your party members are a mage and two warriors. You can respecialize everyone, so I get to build them from the ground up. I need build advice, and hopefully boss strategies for Dirge of Coldhearth.

Arbitrarity
2011-04-22, 01:47 AM
Downloading

wat the ****

ok, so rogue boss appears to be taking my entire team down to 10 health every 10 seconds, regenerating faster than I can damage him, and dealing constant damage.
what is this ****

All right, there we go.

Rules:

You need forcefield. This module assumes you're abusing the forcefield no aggro reset bug, because otherwise your tank will DIE. USE IT.

ABUSE aggro. Lleam has his bull**** dagger, but it never kills anyone, and if you can get your melee to avoid Whirlwinds, he'll just focus the tank and do nothing to her forcefielded/health poultice chugging butt.

You probably need Revive. Otherwise you have no way to get characters back up. And you NEED all of your characters up, otherwise the bosses regen health too fast.

Chug lyrium potions anytime you feel you need them.

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 01:49 AM
Well, clearly the first problem is that you have all those warriors and only one mage. How's that mage's survivability? You probably want him alive for as long as possible, so he can drop that one spell that blocks healing on the people you want dead.

Arbitrarity
2011-04-22, 02:02 AM
Well, clearly the first problem is that you have all those warriors and only one mage. How's that mage's survivability? You probably want him alive for as long as possible, so he can drop that one spell that blocks healing on the people you want dead.

Play it. Curse of Mortality lasts all of 5 seconds on red bosses. Their natural regen was outpacing my damage because I had a character down. I just redid it abusing forcefields and Taunt more. Mage doesn't need survivability against one target. Of course, the fact that he has a scripted ability that takes all characters in your party down to 10 hp every 10 seconds after you beat up his three shadow clones (two of which can't be harmed at any given time (switching, so just keep checking targets), but all of who deal damage as he does)

Anyways. Beat both of those bosses. Feel like I was playing WoW or something. Heroic Nightmare (had to remove difficulty mods: that would've been BAD)

I built the mage as a healer, to deal with burst-healing requirements. Simple max magic, get spirit healer. Blood mage has been useless, since there are no groups of enemies vulnerable to it.

TWF lady remains so. Respecced to Berserker/Templar though, for additional damage. Just turn on momentum and keep Adder's Kiss on at all times.

MC was made as THF, and Templar/champion
Tank was S&S, again templar/champion.
Stack Rally auras, and get Superiority ASAP. It helps you chain-stun the mage boss. Just hit her with Punisher, Pommel Strike, War Cry, War Cry, and beat on her as long as you can. Focus down the Frost spirits (takes a few seconds, but gets you out of the Blizzards and stops them adding staff damage, oh, and until the "frost burst" bit happens, she instantly regens all damage, so no reason to beat on her), then get by the Fire sprits. Chug potions to deal with ongoing frost damage, and consider crafting a few frost/fire salves. Use Mana Clash as often as you can, it's certain to do around 500 damage (if it lands: she has some MR)

And of course, those are the only two difficult fights. Just have your MC tactics set to drinking potions below some amount of health, let him sit and engage Tamerlane with hold position on. Run the rest of your group to the entrance, kill demons with Mana Clash and melee (they have low health), and make sure your tank taunts the bosses. As long as the MC holds aggro on Tamerlane, you're fine, and if you run everyone else away, that's easy. Consider dropping Forcefield on the MC initially, to avoid Tamerlane's initial skill burst, since he can hit 500+ with Final Blow.