PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Rogue Powers

yugi24862
2011-04-21, 10:15 PM
I'm building a psionic rogue (Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)) and I'm having trouble choosing powers. I'm starting at level 7 and don't know which to pick. Can someone help please?

imperialspectre
2011-04-22, 01:11 AM
Vigor (level 1) and Concealing Amorpha (level 2) are two of the better defensive powers out there. Note that since Concealing Amorpha grants concealment, you can always attempt to hide, even while otherwise being "observed" - this gives you an easy way to get sneak attacks. Psionic Knock (level 2) can save you a bunch of skill points if you like breaking into things, and if you're human or otherwise don't have darkvision, Psionic Darkvision (level 2) is very nice.

I would need more specific information regarding your build and character concept to give you better advice than the above. Good luck!

Flickerdart
2011-04-22, 02:17 AM
Remember that you can take Expanded Knowledge and snap up powers from other class lists. Metamorphosis could probably get you some great forms for sneak-thievery, but that comes way later. Offensive Precognition is a half-decent combat buff that makes up for your lower BAB. Aversion could be handy ("guard, you are now averse to entering this hallway!"). Feat Leech is good if you have a psicrystal to leach feats from. Wall Walker could be really useful for setting up ambushes.

Diarmuid
2011-04-22, 08:48 AM
Vigor (level 1) and Concealing Amorpha (level 2) are two of the better defensive powers out there. Note that since Concealing Amorpha grants concealment, you can always attempt to hide, even while otherwise being "observed" - this gives you an easy way to get sneak attacks. Psionic Knock (level 2) can save you a bunch of skill points if you like breaking into things, and if you're human or otherwise don't have darkvision, Psionic Darkvision (level 2) is very nice.

I would need more specific information regarding your build and character concept to give you better advice than the above. Good luck!

I dont know that concealment allows you to hide while being observed. Per the Hide skill:

You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check. Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.

Additionally from the Hide skill:

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went. If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check; see below), though, you can attempt to hide. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Hide check if you can get to a hiding place of some kind. (As a general guideline, the hiding place has to be within 1 foot per rank you have in Hide.) This check, however, is made at a –10 penalty because you have to move fast.

One does not cancel the other. You can have concealment and still be observed.

yugi24862
2011-04-22, 09:29 AM
The main problem is that we rolled for stats and I got 15 14 14 12 10 9. DM wants to see what I can make of it, so no rerolls. I haven't set my build in stone yet, but probably going human/illuamian.

true_shinken
2011-04-22, 09:38 AM
Concealing Amorpha won't allow it to Hide by itself.
Control Light (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlLight.htm), however, could do such against opponents that lack darkvision.

Keld Denar
2011-04-22, 10:16 AM
Hidden Talent at level 1 to pick up Minor Creation(Psionic) would allow you to fabricate your own plant based poisons for almost no investment. That'll give you a nice boost. Compression is also another favorite from what I've seen. Sneak attack dice are the same size, no matter how big or small you are. Be a small race (like Halfling or Gnome or Kobold), then compress down to Tiny or Diminuative. Grab a feat like Confound the Big Folk or Giantslayer and you can move into foe's squares and sneak attack them from the bottom up.

Ernir
2011-04-22, 01:16 PM
Concealment is only half the formula for effectively hiding while attacking, you also need the Hide in Plain Sight ability to be able to hide while being observed.

The Psychic Rogue has Greater Concealing Amorpha (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/concealingAmorphaGreater.htm) on its list, which is highly awesome due to lacking the "does not prevent enemies from targeting the creature normally" clause the closest magical counterpart, Displacement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/displacement.htm), does.

Hustle is expensive for Psyrogues, but as useful as ever.

And be careful, the class is feat-starved.

classy one
2011-04-22, 01:39 PM
Cloud mind makes you completely undetectable. This includes scent, tremorsense, mindsense and lifesense. Very handy for stealth missions or a sneak attack. Can't do away with hide altogether since it only targets one creature but still extremely effective.

Since your stats aren't that great, consider chameleon for a big boost on hide checks. INT should be your priorty not DEX.

Levitate would be a good choice as well as it will save you ranks on climb and if you do ranged attacks, give you a safe perch to snipe from.

Hidden talent or EK for dimensional hop so you can make mini teleports as swift actions and still have your full attack. If used properly you might not need to tumble in for attacks, thus saving you some more ranks in skills.

Aversion makes for interesting tactics, such as forcing melee fighters to stay away from you, breaking enemy formations by making them averse to eachother etc. Having attraction allows for even tighter battlefield control and should be considered. It also has social implications as well.
Entangling ectoplasm is always a nice ranged touch debuff with no save IIRC. -4 on DEX is great on BSF and mages. Cheap to manifest too.

That being said, what kind of Psyrogue you going for?