PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting a new character 3.5 DND

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-21, 10:40 PM
Hello, I am in a slight predicament with selecting a character for an upcoming campaign. I unfortunately have a reputation of incredibly optimizing characters (I dmed the last campaign and made my bosses optimized) and the next dm is worried about me breaking the game.

The party is this homebrew
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191985
A tier 1 class really that summons tons of undead. I can't give much comment other than that since I haven't read the class yet (The player asked me not to).

And another is playing a barbarian gestalt and a ton of other melee classes dips (I believe fighter, rogue and another) and will eventually go into frenzied berserker.

Now in the beginning I was going to play a Spell To Power Erudite because I wanted to see how they worked but I don't think thats a good option right now. I could easily not overwhelm the party but I believe that if I deal more than 1d6/level damage a round I am going to have an "accident"... repeatedly.

I am looking for a fun class to play that isn't very strong and looks very weak, preferably on the low end of the tier system since my group basically believe that any high tier class is going to be stronger than a low tier class no exceptions. I love minion classes too so any fun builds that revolve around minions is okay. The DM allows homebrew but for me its going to be scrutinized VERY carefully and will probably be nerfed in some form. As little diffrent sources as possible too to minimize the list that can be banned. The campaign starts at level 3.

Classes that I can't be:
Dread Necromancer: (Favorite class but DM hates them)
Bard: (Accidently told him that it is possible to optimize them with Word of Creation and Dragonfire Inspiration)
Wizard: (I could play this one if I really tried but my spellbook is going to be burned every session >.>)
Thrallherd: Last camphain a player became evil and killed the entire party 3 times and became the BBEG (Fun times fun times left a slight scar )

Thank you for your help playground. Can anyone think of a fun build to play?

NNescio
2011-04-21, 10:45 PM
Batman wizard (i.e. "Make your friends look good, not you"), with the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF. Look, Ma! I don't need spellbooks! I just memorize really, really hard!

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-21, 10:50 PM
Batman wizard (i.e. "Make your friends look good, not you"), with the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF. Look, Ma! I don't need spellbooks! I just memorize really, really hard!

Oh right forgot to add this, no dragon magazine. Was thinking about batman wizard or at least a sorcerer. Though I do figure that a defensive class would be nice since I will be targeted a lot.

Demidos
2011-04-21, 10:52 PM
The party is this homebrew
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191985
A tier 1 class really that summons tons of undead. I can't give much comment other than that since I haven't read the class yet (The player asked me not to).

Its tier 2 :smallsigh:

Urpriest
2011-04-21, 10:53 PM
Low Tier+minions...Commoner with Chicken Infested and Handle Animal abuse!

Y'know, given your reputation for optimization...how about an Adept? They're not nearly as bad as they look, and they make you feel cool for optimizing them without being as stupid as an actual commoner.

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-21, 10:58 PM
Low Tier+minions...Commoner with Chicken Infested and Handle Animal abuse!

Y'know, given your reputation for optimization...how about an Adept? They're not nearly as bad as they look, and they make you feel cool for optimizing them without being as stupid as an actual commoner.

Hmm, an adept might be interesting. Also since the DM is allowing partial gestalt rules (from the tier thread) I could try adept//warrior for a gish or adept//expert for a skill monkey.

NNescio
2011-04-21, 11:03 PM
Oh right forgot to add this, no dragon magazine. Was thinking about batman wizard or at least a sorcerer. Though I do figure that a defensive class would be nice since I will be targeted a lot.

Tattooed spellbook + Geometer PrC? Both options are in Complete Arcane.

Alternatively, try a lockdown Crusader (spiked chain not necessarily required). You'll want to get hit.

gorfnab
2011-04-22, 03:49 AM
Beguilers are fun to play and can somewhat be mini "batman wizards" if you play them right. Although if you go Whisper Gnome Beguiler/ Shadowcraft Mage your DM may hurt you.

Telonius
2011-04-22, 10:49 AM
Relatively low tier, fun to play ... how 'bout a Warlock? You can go Binder/Hellfire Warlock if you like. It won't break the game, you'll be doing regular (though minor) damage, some of the blasts have some interesting debuffs. At high levels, you'll be able to heal Mr. Mask's undead whenever you like, if you take Utterdark Blast. The only thing it really lacks is a steady supply of minions, and you even get a few of those if you take the invocation that gives you animate dead.

Crossblade
2011-04-22, 10:52 AM
CoDzilla?

Clerics and druids aren't on your list.

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-22, 01:28 PM
CoDzilla?

Clerics and druids aren't on your list.

Yes... but playing a tier one class is somewhat counter productive when I want to NOT be banned. A warlock is a good idea too, I have never really looked at binder though so I will take a look at that.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-22, 01:53 PM
If your spellbook is going to be burned every session then having a tattooed spellbook doesn't really help.

Try getting some of the spellbook upgrades so it attacks anyone who trys to burn it. Or get the energy resistant upgrade. Or make it out of metal.

Telonius
2011-04-22, 01:55 PM
Yes... but playing a tier one class is somewhat counter productive when I want to NOT be banned. A warlock is a good idea too, I have never really looked at binder though so I will take a look at that.

One level of Binder is (more or less) a requirement for a proper Hellfire Warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3). Hellfire Warlock will give you an extra +6d6 to your Eldritch Blasts, but normally costs 1 point of Con damage each time you use it. However, bind Naberius (which you can do at Binder1), and you can negate that.

Kylarra
2011-04-22, 01:57 PM
Dragonfire Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) is simple and draws from minimal sources (sadly).

NNescio
2011-04-22, 02:00 PM
If your spellbook is going to be burned every session then having a tattooed spellbook doesn't really help.

Try getting some of the spellbook upgrades so it attacks anyone who trys to burn it. Or get the energy resistant upgrade. Or make it out of metal.

How exactly do you... uh... burn a tattooed spellbook without grievously harming the wizard?

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-22, 02:03 PM
How exactly do you... uh... burn a tattooed spellbook without grievously harming the wizard?

That's why I said there is no point in getting one.:smallamused: