PDA

View Full Version : How long has passed since Belkar's death was predicted?

Toofey
2011-04-22, 12:17 AM
My best estimate based on Roy's death being 2 weeks after the prediction is that at most 7 months have passed.

Thoughts?

factotum
2011-04-22, 01:55 AM
Your estimate is somewhat off. Belkar's death was predicted before the Battle of Azure City, and the one-year anniversary of that battle was mentioned as being "in just six weeks" in strip #702. Since you're presumably trying to figure out how long Belkar has left, I'll also mention that Roy made it clear in strip #666 that it would be a maximum of seven weeks to Belkar's death at that point; presumably quite some time has passed since, considering they had to sail to the mainland, explore a desert, and then find their way to the Empire of Blood.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-22, 02:23 AM
Though, IIRC, the "within a year" didn't come up until well after the sack of Azure City.

Swordpriest
2011-04-22, 07:06 AM
Your estimate is somewhat off. Belkar's death was predicted before the Battle of Azure City, and the one-year anniversary of that battle was mentioned as being "in just six weeks" in strip #702. Since you're presumably trying to figure out how long Belkar has left, I'll also mention that Roy made it clear in strip #666 that it would be a maximum of seven weeks to Belkar's death at that point; presumably quite some time has passed since, considering they had to sail to the mainland, explore a desert, and then find their way to the Empire of Blood.

Yep, Roy mentioned seven weeks, so I'm guessing that it's been about a month since then -- so it's probably been 48 to 49 weeks since Belkar's death was predicted.

It's going to be hard for him to get to Kraagor's Gate alive.

Toofey
2011-04-22, 12:06 PM
hrmmm..... I did not think that much time had passed off panel, still that leaves 5 weeks of "gametime" which is ample time to think belkar's death is not necessarily imminent.

Is there any information on when Belkar's birthday is, because I would point out that if they're celebrating the 1 year anniversary of Azure City's demise then he's already beat the prediction, that said that may be why the giant put int he 7 weeks, because he needed to keep the big B around a little longer.

NerfTW
2011-04-22, 01:23 PM
Though, IIRC, the "within a year" didn't come up until well after the sack of Azure City.

He didn't say "within a year". He said "before the end of the year", referring to the end of the current year, not one year from when he said it. Given that we were also given a time span since the battle, and Roy's statement of seven weeks left, it is very clear that the prophecy will be fulfilled in that time frame.

Having everyone go "OH, he meant a year from then! Everything's fine!" would be a completely obnoxious and terrible twist of the type the Giant said he hates in the commentary for War and XPs.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-22, 01:28 PM
He didn't say "within a year". He said "before the end of the year", referring to the end of the current year, not one year from when he said it. Given that we were also given a time span since the battle, and Roy's statement of seven weeks left, it is very clear that the prophecy will be fulfilled in that time frame.

Having everyone go "OH, he meant a year from then! Everything's fine!" would be a completely obnoxious and terrible twist of the type the Giant said he hates in the commentary for War and XPs.

I don't think it would be much of a twist, considering the Oracle's "end of the year" statement was a bit ambiguous, though I agree you're probably right.

factotum
2011-04-22, 03:01 PM
Is there any information on when Belkar's birthday is, because I would point out that if they're celebrating the 1 year anniversary of Azure City's demise then he's already beat the prediction

Er, no he hasn't--the prediction was that he should savour his next birthday cake; in other words, he would have one birthday to celebrate while still alive, not that he would be dead by his next birthday.

Toofey
2011-04-22, 03:28 PM
Oh...

Well then, owing that we don't know when his birthday is, he could have up to another entire year. Have there been any offhand references to his Bday or anything indicating when that would be.

FatJose
2011-04-22, 08:36 PM
Oh...
Well then, owing that we don't know when his birthday is, he could have up to another entire year. Have there been any offhand references to his Bday or anything indicating when that would be.

Or we take Roy's word..If it's the case that he's right, which is almost guaranteed because why would he even fib about it?, the guy's got 6-7 weeks from when Roy talked to Haley about it. So...If someone wants to keep track of this, there is some guesstimating. It was like...3-7 days maybe from that moment till when they first set foot in the first desert town and that's assuming they were fast..more days searching for the gate...and then I lost interest and stopped counting days as shown on the comic...Yes, I'm weak. :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2011-04-22, 08:53 PM
if they're celebrating the 1 year anniversary of Azure City's demise then he's already beat the prediction

They aren't. Redcloak simply mentioned that the one year anniversary is in 6 weeks, implying that it took the Order a week to cross the ocean. The strips are right there for you to read, is it too much to ask that you go re-read them before trying to come up with theories?

that said that may be why the giant put int he 7 weeks, because he needed to keep the big B around a little longer.

Or, since he's writing the story, he could have just not had the one year anniversary. And he didn't. That would be some profoundly poor planning to not be paying attention to the dates with a time sensitive prophecy in the story. Not to mention the 7 weeks statement came BEFORE Redcloak's 6 week statement. (obviously)

Oh...

But he won't. Because that would be an obnoxious and total cop out, given that even the characters IN THE COMIC ITSELF are expecting it to happen in a few weeks. The dates have been given multiple times, for the express purpose of giving us a timeline for this.

There's no wiggle room here. Belkar's prophecy will be fulfilled within the next 6 weeks. Unless you somehow think that by not eating his birthday cake this year, he's somehow swindled fate.

Lissou
2011-04-22, 08:57 PM
Oh...

The Oracle also said "before the end of the year".
We don't know when Belkar's birthday is, but it's possible it has passed already I'm not sure how much they're supposed to celebrate birthdays. If the Battle of Azure City will have been a year ago in six weeks, chances are many characters had a birthday during the run of the comic, yet we weren't shown these. They're adventurers, they might not keep such a good track of the exact date at all times, or not care much about birthday.

Then again, if his birthday hasn't passed yet, he could very well die on that day. If the Oracle was referring to an actual birthday cake rather than using it as an expression, Belkar could die the second after he eats said cake. Or he could refuse to eat the cake, then die, which would have made the advice to savour his cake (rather than refuse to eat it) make sense as well.
This being said, I'm pretty sure it was just an expression, and that it means Belkar won't have another birthday after that.

If Belkar had a birthday since the Oracle said that, he could die any time now. If he hasn't yet, then he will be fine until then. But we might not know when his birthday is/was until after he dies, so that's little indication for us.

factotum
2011-04-23, 01:59 AM
Let's be honest here, the Oracle has so far shown a 100% accuracy rate in his predictions, I see no reason why Belkar's is going to be different. The Oracle told Roy Belkar would be dead by the end of the year, which is what Roy is basing his "7 weeks" estimate on--it could be less time than that before Belkar dies, but it certainly won't be more.

martianmister
2011-04-23, 06:31 AM
Also remember: He will die within seven weeks, not after seven weeks. He can die anytime soon...