PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Humans!

DwarfFighter
2011-04-22, 09:50 AM
Characters with low Intelligence still have a minimum of 1 skill point per level. Humans gain a bonus skill point per level, but is this after the skill points penalty for low Int? Is it effectively a minimum of 2 skill points per level for humans?

-DF

Apophis
2011-04-22, 10:02 AM
I believe they would get 2. You get a minimum of 1 skill point from a class, and the human skill point is a separate bonus.

Garagos
2011-04-22, 10:12 AM
I agree, I believe the human racial bonus is meant to be applied after Int bonus/penalty and any other bonuses you might somehow have. Humans get 2 minimum per level.

Yora
2011-04-22, 10:14 AM
By RAW it really only says "a character always gets at least 1 skill point per level".
But I would support the view that bonus skill points should be added to the at least one skill point from the class. Seems just nicer to handle it that way.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-22, 07:41 PM
The wording "4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level" would seem to imply that it is added in after the "N + Int mod skill points" calculation has already been resolved, so I agree with the minimum 2 interpretation.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-22, 10:32 PM
Yup, 2 minimum per level.

I entered this thread because I thought the OP was ranting about how Human is a bad choice for Race, and was fully prepared to whip out my two guns, Derision and Scorn, but found myself over-armed.

Always disappointing to get all geared up for a rant, and be totally disarmed.

Koury
2011-04-23, 12:12 AM
Humans are totally a crappy race! I don't understand why anyone would ever pick it as their race. I mean, skill points? Who cares about skill points! Its only one per level! So my incentive to play a Human is a feature thats worse then getting +2 Int and a bonus feat? Woohoo, I get half the first level of Fighter plus an extra 23 skill points (IF I make it level 20). I just don't see the appeal. :smallyuk:

Now Half-Elf... Thats a race I can get behind!

There ya go :P

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-23, 12:26 AM
No, friend, I'm afraid that you have it wrong.

Half-Orcs.

Hells yeah. Who needs 'feats'? We're not smart enough to figure it out. Nah, we've got brute strength. And free skill points? They're an artificial human construct designed to make them feel superior. Before we crush them. With out large half-orc muscles. That are strong.

The only reason that humans even made it into the PHB is because they're half-half-orc.

Cerlis
2011-04-23, 12:30 AM
Humans are totally a crappy race! I don't understand why anyone would ever pick it as their race. I mean, skill points? Who cares about skill points! Its only one per level! So my incentive to play a Human is a feature thats worse then getting +2 Int and a bonus feat? Woohoo, I get half the first level of Fighter plus an extra 23 skill points (IF I make it level 20). I just don't see the appeal. :smallyuk:

Now Half-Elf... Thats a race I can get behind!

There ya go :P

cept most professional builds focus on this prestige class or that one, which often have feat intensive or weird skill requirements. making humans the most versitile. I'd think most people would agree that Feats are the single most important thing in the game. Everything else is good, but by itself not as good as a single feat can be.

Greenish
2011-04-23, 12:31 AM
cept most professional builds focus on this prestige class or that one, which often have feat intensive or weird skill requirements. making humans the most versitile. I'd think most people would agree that Feats are the single most important thing in the game. Everything else is good, but by itself not as good as a single feat can be.I believe the bait was for Grey's benefit.

[Edit]: "Professional builds"? :smalltongue:

WildPyre
2011-04-23, 12:33 AM
I believe the bait was for Grey's benefit.

[Edit]: "Professional builds"? :smalltongue:

Man if I could get paid to sit around and make D&D characters... that would be the life man. :smallcool:

Koury
2011-04-23, 12:40 AM
cept most professional builds focus on this prestige class or that one, which often have feat intensive or weird skill requirements. making humans the most versitile. I'd think most people would agree that Feats are the single most important thing in the game. Everything else is good, but by itself not as good as a single feat can be.

Psh, PrCs? As if being Human is any sort of advantage in that regard. If you want a good race for PrCs, you might want to check out Elf and Dwarf. I mean, have you seen Arcane Archer and Dwarven Defender?

Good luck keeping up, Human.

It's a joke! I have to put this here. All my infractions are for things like this being taken seriously. Please don't get me in trouble again! :P

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-23, 12:44 AM
Don't forget Warforged. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to finish off Reforged?

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-23, 03:44 AM
Koury, you win the thread. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Choco_chip_cookie.png)

Elric VIII
2011-04-23, 04:21 AM
Don't forget Warforged. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to finish off Reforged?

The sarcasm is not wasted on me, but I think that the last level of reforged is pretty good. It lets you switch early feats for ones you qualify at later levels. As a rather silly example, a Warforged Bard can take 2-3 Racial feats at level one via flaws then with Reforged 3 trade them in for Song of the Heart and/or Words of Creation, which require a higher characetr level. And you can even make up for the lost Bard levels with that [Anarchic] feat that is like Practiced Spellcaster for Bard abilities from Dragon Magazine.

But, let's not forget ho much better than humans the Derro are. You get 3 free racial HD, and all you have to trade are some class levels from things that aren't as good as Arcane Archer or Dwarven Defender. Plus, the LA saves you from dispel, since your spells are cast at a lower level and are not targetted first. Also, you get to be insane.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-23, 04:26 AM
Plus, the LA saves you from dispel, since your spells are cast at a lower level and are not targetted first.

...... :smallamused:

Well played, sir.

I think I'm going to actually try and slip this into a discussion with my RL group as a serious point some time soon. If anyone in the group notices, I'll play it off as me being totally serious.

The worst part about that sentence is that it implies that you're playing a race with LA and RHD as a spellcaster. Murphgle. :smallfrown:

MeeposFire
2011-04-23, 04:31 AM
The sarcasm is not wasted on me, but I think that the last level of reforged is pretty good. It lets you switch early feats for ones you qualify at later levels. As a rather silly example, a Warforged Bard can take 2-3 Racial feats at level one via flaws then with Reforged 3 trade them in for Song of the Heart and/or Words of Creation, which require a higher characetr level. And you can even make up for the lost Bard levels with that [Anarchic] feat that is like Practiced Spellcaster for Bard abilities from Dragon Magazine.

But, let's not forget ho much better than humans the Derro are. You get 3 free racial HD, and all you have to trade are some class levels from things that aren't as good as Arcane Archer or Dwarven Defender. Plus, the LA saves you from dispel, since your spells are cast at a lower level and are not targetted first. Also, you get to be insane.

And if you were level drained later of your reforged levels would you get your old body back?:smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-23, 04:32 AM
The worst part about that sentence is that it implies that you're playing a race with LA and RHD as a spellcaster. Murphgle. :smallfrown:

Well, obviously! If you're going to have fewer class levels than other characters, you'd better pick the most powerful classes you can get (which everybody knows are the top-tier spellcasters). :smallamused:

Grommen
2011-04-23, 11:09 AM
Man Humans are so kool they should get a +1 Level Adjustment.

Elves suck! :smallamused:

O man a Human Fighter can their be anything better?

Sacrieur
2011-04-23, 12:31 PM
I never saw why half-orcs deserved a -4 adjustment to stats, but only a +2 bonus.

Cog
2011-04-23, 12:35 PM
Because strength is so much more powerful than intelligence, of course.

What, do you want all the orc beatsticks beating up those poor elven wizards without any drawbacks at all?

Yora
2011-04-23, 12:38 PM
Also, half-orcs get darkvision in addition to +2 str!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-23, 12:41 PM
Because strength is so much more powerful than intelligence, of course.

What, do you want all the orc beatsticks beating up those poor elven wizards without any drawbacks at all?

Intelligence is underrated, and strength is overrated.

Plus, darkvision isn't worth giving up skill ranks and a bonus feat, and if you compare half-orcs to dwarves, and they look even worse, as dwarves get bonuses to skills and bonuses against goblinoids, orcs, and giants.

Cog
2011-04-23, 12:47 PM
Intelligence is underrated, and strength is overrated.
Sarcasm, internet, etc.

Yora
2011-04-23, 12:56 PM
This whole thread is full of intentionally extremely bad advice. ^^

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-23, 01:10 PM

So dark vision isn't worth it?

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-23, 01:15 PM

I'm pretty sure a good half of this thread is sarcasm. Here's a hint: Arcane Archer is not a good PrC.

Morph Bark
2011-04-23, 01:54 PM
Arcane Archer is not a good PrC.

Everyone knows that it shoulda been a Truenaming Archer.

Swooper
2011-04-23, 02:01 PM
Yup, 2 minimum per level.

I entered this thread because I thought the OP was ranting about how Human is a bad choice for Race, and was fully prepared to whip out my two guns, Derision and Scorn, but found myself over-armed.

Always disappointing to get all geared up for a rant, and be totally disarmed.

I was actually expecting the opposite, that this was a thread about how humans were too good compared to other races. This premise piqued my interest because I recently remade most of the standard races' racial traits to match humans (and then some).

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-23, 02:18 PM
Everyone knows that it shoulda been a Truenaming Archer.

Which Ironically is still better than a straight truenamer.

Sacrieur
2011-04-23, 02:53 PM
Which Ironically is still better than a straight truenamer.

So I was playing my Truenamer CW Samurai the other day...

Gadora
2011-04-23, 03:19 PM
So I was playing my Truenamer CW Samurai the other day...

You gave a Truenamer heavy armor proficiency? I hope your DM is prepared to deal with armored casters. :smallannoyed:

Koury
2011-04-23, 03:24 PM
Psh, casters in armor? Pathetic attempt by the casters to mimic the greatness that only melee can achieve.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-23, 03:33 PM
Psh, casters in armor? Pathetic attempt by the casters to mimic the greatness that only melee can achieve.

Sarcasm, eh? Well, don't forget about warblades and crusaders, not quite as good as optimized casters, but way better then other melee classes.

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-23, 03:34 PM

Not any caster, a truenamer, the only of the casters that remotely resembles melee. It has the focus on skills of a rogue and the versatility of a fighter.
With armour? I believe that is certainly the MOST broken build ever made.

Koury
2011-04-23, 03:34 PM
Sarcasm, eh? Well, don't forget about warblades and crusaders, not quite as good as optimized casters, but way better then other melee classes.

Speaking of sarcasm. :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-23, 03:35 PM
Speaking of sarcasm. :smallamused:

Well, they are about tier 2 or 3, casters are tier 1 or 2.

Koury
2011-04-23, 03:39 PM
ToB base classes can't break into Tier 2 as far as I know. Very solid T3s though.

Normally pushing up a tier isn't a problem, but the gap between 2 and 3 is a big one that can usually only be crossed in one direction (down).

Kalim
2011-04-23, 03:40 PM
ToB base classes can't break into Tier 2 as far as I know. Very solid T3s though.

Normally pushing up a tier isn't a problem, but the gap between 2 and 3 is a big one that can usually only be crossed in one direction (down).

Cleric/Crusader/RKV with DMM Quicken cheese?

Koury
2011-04-23, 03:42 PM
I consider that a Cleric build. Also, RKV is why I said ToB base classes. :smallbiggrin:

Firechanter
2011-04-23, 05:15 PM
Cleric/Crusader/RKV with DMM Quicken cheese?

"I can _so_ make a T3 into a T2. I just need to mix in a T1."

That reminds me of a Feynman anecdote where he met a painter who claimed he could mix yellow paint just out of white and red. When it didn't work he patted his pockets and muttered "usually I have a small tube of yellow for tinting".

:P