PDA

View Full Version : Wealth Domain: possible? playable? practical?

sengmeng
2011-04-22, 10:06 AM
I have a deity with Wealth in their portfolio for a campaign world I am working on, I was wondering if anyone thinks that Wealth should be a domain for them as well. I think I'd have to make up spells for it, except maybe one or two that can make other metals into gold, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can come up with a sensible domain spell list and granted power.

Benly
2011-04-22, 12:26 PM
There's already a Wealth domain in Spell Compendium. So, hey, there's that to go from.

Haarkla
2011-04-22, 01:08 PM
I have a deity with Wealth in their portfolio for a campaign world I am working on, I was wondering if anyone thinks that Wealth should be a domain for them as well. I think I'd have to make up spells for it, except maybe one or two that can make other metals into gold, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can come up with a sensible domain spell list and granted power.

1. Mending
2. Glitterdust
3. Plant Growth
4. Secret Chest
5. Major Creation
6. Fabricate
7. Magnificent Mansion
8. ?
9. ?

Admiral Squish
2011-04-22, 01:27 PM
There's already a Wealth domain in Spell Compendium. So, hey, there's that to go from.

That domain seems more like a 'warding' domain, rather than anything really related to wealth.

Gamer Girl
2011-04-22, 01:47 PM
1. Mending
2. Glitterdust
3. Plant Growth
4. Secret Chest
5. Major Creation
6. Fabricate
7. Magnificent Mansion
8. ?
9. ?

Secret chest, maybe...but the other spells don't really say 'Wealth' to me... Plant Growth...like when you think Bill Gates you think of him watering a plant?

1.Apprasing Touch
2.Entice Gift
3.Servant Horde
4.Treasure Scent
5.Secret chest
6.Wall of Gold
7.Transmute Wood to Gold
8.Hindsight
9.Foresight

Benly
2011-04-22, 02:01 PM
Secret chest, maybe...but the other spells don't really say 'Wealth' to me... Plant Growth...like when you think Bill Gates you think of him watering a plant?

Fabricate makes sense to me - you're turning raw materials into more valuable things. Major Creation lets you make shiny things out of nothing, and given that Glitterdust is a burst of golden dust that seems at least thematically viable. Magnificent Mansion, too - when you think of rich people, magnificent mansions aren't exactly far from the list of ideas associated with them.

The original Wealth domain's power isn't exciting, but it does seem suitable - Appraise as a class skill and SF: Appraise.

Gamer Girl
2011-04-22, 02:51 PM
Fabricate makes sense to me - you're turning raw materials into more valuable things. Major Creation lets you make shiny things out of nothing, and given that Glitterdust is a burst of golden dust that seems at least thematically viable. Magnificent Mansion, too - when you think of rich people, magnificent mansions aren't exactly far from the list of ideas associated with them.

The original Wealth domain's power isn't exciting, but it does seem suitable - Appraise as a class skill and SF: Appraise.

Both fabricate and creation are 'working class spells', not the kind of thing you think of when you think 'Wealth'. Glitterdust is too combative, what would the average wealth type person do with that spell? And a mansion, sure, maybe

Cidolfas
2011-04-22, 10:14 PM
Rehashing the flavor of currently existing SRD spells could also work, such as flesh to gold instead of flesh to stone. It would also serve to give it some offensive uses that for the most part the Wealth domain lacks. It should be noted, however, that you should probably take measures to avoid shenanigans like selling the gold stature or melting it down into its weight in coins. The same can be said for a spell like Wall of Gold in particular.

Admiral Squish
2011-04-22, 11:39 PM
Rehashing the flavor of currently existing SRD spells could also work, such as flesh to gold instead of flesh to stone. It would also serve to give it some offensive uses that for the most part the Wealth domain lacks. It should be noted, however, that you should probably take measures to avoid shenanigans like selling the gold stature or melting it down into its weight in coins. The same can be said for a spell like Wall of Gold in particular.

Easy way to avoid that is make the 'gold' actually be fool's gold. It looks like a perfect statue made of gold, but break it and it reveals it's true self as a black, worthless mineral.

Veyr
2011-04-22, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't really show off wealth, though, would it?

Admiral Squish
2011-04-23, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't really show off wealth, though, would it?

It looks pretty swanky, though, doesn't it?