PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Microsoft Word

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-22, 10:37 AM
What it says on the Tin.

Whenever I start a new document in word, a Paragraph Symbol (¶) at the end of each line. If I open up an old document, their will be a small dot (not a period) where ever a space should be, a Right Arrow Symbol (→) at the beginning of each new line, and an Enter Symbol (↵) at the end of each line.

Help me please. :smallfrown:

polity4life
2011-04-22, 10:40 AM
You're tracking indents, ends of sentences, and the such. Which version of Word do you have?

Roland St. Jude
2011-04-22, 10:41 AM
There's a feature for showing all the formatting marks (like paragraph breaks, spaces, tabs, etc.)

Go to the Home tab, the Paragraph box, and look for the paragraph symbol (¶). That's the Show/Hide button. Click it and the symbols should disappear.

Fix it once, close your document, and see what happens with the next new document you create. Maybe that's a full fix or maybe you'll have to click it each time.

Alternatively, you may have to change it in your default normal.doc, so you don't have to do this with each new document. How to do that seems less obvious than it should be.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-22, 10:46 AM
I have the version BEFORE 2007 (so 2003, I think) so there is not Home Tab.

EDIT: Nope, I have XP. My dad just bought Word 2010 though, if I upgrade (before I fix it), will that do it?

polity4life
2011-04-22, 10:53 AM
Upgrading won't change the document's format. What you're looking for is a button that looks like the paragraph marker. If it isn't showing, add it. Otherwise, you should be able to find the option somewhere either in the Insert or Format menus.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-04-22, 10:54 AM
Upgrading won't change the document's format. What you're looking for is a button that looks like the paragraph marker. If it isn't showing, add it. Otherwise, you should be able to find the option somewhere either in the Insert or Format menus.
OK, that did it. I must have clicked it without noticing when I was messing with my Documents alignment. Thanks! :smallsmile:

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-22, 10:58 AM
I have the version BEFORE 2007 (so 2003, I think) so there is not Home Tab.

EDIT: Nope, I have XP. My dad just bought Word 2010 though, if I upgrade (before I fix it), will that do it?

Upgrading normally deletes all the preferences and such, as it reinstalls pretty much everything. As such, it will do it.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-22, 11:33 AM
Note: the "paragraph marker" is called a "pilcrow", and not knowing how to spell that word is what kept me from going to the finals of the national spelling bee.

VanBuren
2011-04-22, 11:01 PM
Note: the "paragraph marker" is called a "pilcrow", and not knowing how to spell that word is what kept me from going to the finals of the national spelling bee.

Yeah, but did helping the OP with his problem allow you to confront your past and deal with the trauma, making you ultimately stronger in the long run?

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-22, 11:07 PM
Yeah, but did helping the OP with his problem allow you to confront your past and deal with the trauma, making you ultimately stronger in the long run?

How did his interjection which is informative (and appreciated by me) related to helping the OP?

enigmatime
2011-04-22, 11:09 PM
I have a problem with Microsoft Word. Or should I say Microsoft Works Word? Yes, you heard me correctly, the one from '98 or something. Nothing specific, I just hate it. Does anyone know of a place that I could get a copy of the newest one?

By the way, I love that pilcrow thinger. It shows me if I have put too many spaces.

VanBuren
2011-04-22, 11:21 PM
How did his interjection which is informative (and appreciated by me) related to helping the OP?

You've never watched one of those inspirational sports movies where there's one gifted character who can't play because of a traumatic sporting moment, have you?

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-22, 11:55 PM
I have a problem with Microsoft Word. Or should I say Microsoft Works Word? Yes, you heard me correctly, the one from '98 or something. Nothing specific, I just hate it. Does anyone know of a place that I could get a copy of the newest one?

By the way, I love that pilcrow thinger. It shows me if I have put too many spaces.
Try open office (www.openoffice.org), otherwise you are going to have to buy a license or buy the package physically

You've never watched one of those inspirational sports movies where there's one gifted character who can't play because of a traumatic sporting moment, have you?
Do they even make those anymore? I've seen one where the gifted character had to learn philosophy to properly do acrobatics and one where the main character is torn between theater and the social stigma he believes it conveys, his relationship and basketball. Not one where the character has had a traumatic moment, I only see that in movies related to songwriting or bookwriting.

enigmatime
2011-04-23, 12:06 AM
Try open office (www.openoffice.org), otherwise you are going to have to buy a license or buy the package physically
Actually, I have OpenOffice. I like it, but my school doesn't have it, so I can't really use it (yes, I know it converts Word files to blah, but not back, that I know of). I should try and get Linux... Then get my school to convert to Linux... Too much trouble and unrelated. Would Office Max have the new Microsoft program?

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-23, 12:08 AM
Look around and see if you can get the new or old office on academic licence - it drops the price slightly at least.

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-23, 12:52 AM
Actually, I have OpenOffice. I like it, but my school doesn't have it, so I can't really use it (yes, I know it converts Word files to blah, but not back, that I know of). I should try and get Linux... Then get my school to convert to Linux... Too much trouble and unrelated. Would Office Max have the new Microsoft program?

Try Libre Office (http://www.libreoffice.org/), I believe this one does save to MS Office formats.

Otherwise, Tsofu has already given the best alternative.

Flickerdart
2011-04-23, 01:16 AM
It can open .DOC files and save to .DOC files. Possibly not .DOCX though, so if your school upgraded to Office 2010 that may be a problem.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-23, 01:21 AM
It can open .DOC files and save to .DOC files. Possibly not .DOCX though, so if your school upgraded to Office 2010 that may be a problem.

As long as you save it in .doc it shouldn't be a problem should it?