PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Powerful Build + Tower Shield

Redrat2k6
2011-04-22, 02:35 PM
In the Psionics Unleashed book we are using one of my players asked if Powerful Build ability of Half-Giants applied to shields.

I don't think that there are any mechanics that make larger shields for larger characters give you any more AC.

I also don't think there are any rules mechanic for larger shields giving medium characters a higher AC.

I also don't even think that powerful build allows the user to use larger shields proficiently...

I also do not know then how large shield spikes would work because that is a weapon applied to a shield.

Finally even though Powerful Build may not support most of the things previously stated (let me know if they do), I think they should. As the DM I am willing to home brew some sort mechanic that maybe allows the wielder an additional bonus to AC for bigger shields, or to use tower shields without the -2 to hit.

Any advice, suggestions, or rules mechanics (home brew or otherwise) would be appreciated.

Telonius
2011-04-22, 03:04 PM
Just from the title of the thread, it would be illegal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#shieldSpikes):

You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield.

If it were a Large Heavy spiked shield, the AC would be the same as a regular heavy shield, but (absent powerful build) the damage would be done as though for a Larger sized weapon - 1d8 (since Shield Spikes for a Heavy shield follow Shortspear). With powerful build, the damage would be as though for a Huge weapon, 2d6.