PDA

View Full Version : Castle Crashers!

Lord Loss
2011-04-22, 03:14 PM
I just got this game last week (PS3) and started playing it with my dad. He's using the Red Knight with Rammy and I'm using the Green Knight with Scratchpaw (the Tiger). We're at the flooded temple. Such a fun game. Any tips for optimization? So far I'm using a character with balanced Strength, and Defense, slightly lower magic and low-ish Agility (Level 22). Stats are something like 14 STR 14 DEF 10 Magic 6-ish AGI.

Who else here plays Castle Crashers? What characters do you reccomend for the solo playthrough? Should I buy the Pink Knight DLC?

Leecros
2011-04-22, 03:38 PM
I played it once with some of the guys from my D&D group, so i'm not an expert on the game, but i did have fun with it and had quite an enjoyable experience.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-22, 03:38 PM
From what I remember, archery is a lot weaker than magic. That might depend on which guy you're using, though.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-22, 03:48 PM
Red Knight is broken. Seriously seriously broken.

Everything else is about the same, but magic is generally your best choice for stats (And pets/weapons that increase magic).

Unlocking everything takes forever.

Lord Loss
2011-04-22, 07:27 PM
Beat the game! We've got almost all the pets and I've beaten most arenas (for characters). I'm going to be playing with two friends on Monday, which of these should I use? (One has never played CC before, the other is quite experienced).

excluding Red and Green, my dad and I are going to do insane mode in a while
I have...

Skeleton
Royal Guard
Grey Knight
Barbarian
Conehead
Thief
Alien Hominid
Orange Knight
Blue Knight

I'll buy the Pink Knight when PSN stops updating and am about to go unlock Icekimo and Peasant through the arenas. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I'm kind of new to the game.

Raistlin1040
2011-04-22, 07:51 PM
I beat the game as Necromancer (DLC) a long time ago. I might go back to playing sometime now that you bring it up. I played most of the game as him, but I like Blue Knight a lot too.

Lord Loss
2011-04-23, 10:08 AM
I got all of the arena people (PSN is still down, though, so no Pink Knight for me :smallfrown:). What level should I get to before going on insane mode with two players?

Sipex
2011-04-25, 10:37 AM
Insane mode? Jump right in and go. It'll be tough but it's a good challenge and you should be able to handle it as two players.

edit: Caveat, expect to die a lot and get used to enemies taking plenty of hits.

Some recommendations!

If you're using a pet which grants bonuses to abilities make sure it doesn't go over the cap. IE: If the max magic is 20 points and you have 19, don't use an animal which gives you more than +1 magic.

Why? The extra bonus is wasted. You can't exceed the cap.

Same goes for weapons I think.

Airk
2011-04-26, 09:00 AM
I read a FAQ on this once, and IIRC, some stats can go over cap but others can't. I'll go doublecheck. Yup. Just checked here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/934458-castle-crashers/faqs/54118) and this fellow, who has clearly played this game way too much, asserts that in most cases, stats CAN go over cap. The following are the exceptions:

#1: No new magic spells are granted for magic above 25 (But your 'basic' splash spell actually does improve beyond that point) and bonus magic doesn't count for learning new spells.
#2: Agility above 25 has no effect on run speed.
#3: Arrow speed (Both rate of fire and rate of travel) are only affected by base agility, not bonuses.

Anyway, that FAQ has a ton of stuff in it if you really want to min/max your game, but frankly, I don't see why you would. Most of the fun of the game is just brawling with your buddies.

Anyway, yeah, the Red Knight is pretty ridiculous because he can hold Lightning Bolt down for big death, so it's recommended to improve his magic as much as possible. Otherwise, most builds seem viable, but you'll want to have SOME means of dealing damage, so don't just pile all your points into defense. ;) (And by "some means" I mean either "decent strength, decent magic, or decent agility" because the higher your agility, the better your archery is - you can have multiple arrows on screen and they do pretty good damage and can juggle, but it may take a long time to kill things this way - at least, until your agility is very near max (Which admittedly only takes like 12 level ups if you go whole hog on it.))