PDA

View Full Version : Tim the Enchanter's Magic Items

Allanimal
2011-04-22, 04:27 PM
I try to come up with mostly original character ideas, but for an upcoming one-shot adventure with most of my regular gaming group, I decided to model my character after one of my all-time favorite magic users, Tim the Enchanter.

He's obviously a wizard. I think most would say he's an evoker, but I am looking at it another way. King Arther remarks "you know much that is hidden" to Tim, so I think he's actually a diviner. But he does chuck a lot of fireballs around, however to my eye, they don't have the 20' radius blast a D&D 3.5 fireball has. So maybe Tim is a Spellwarp Sniper, and those blasts are the result of a Ray-ified fireball.

Oops, now Tim needs a level of rogue or better yet, spellthief. So, I have him down as spellthief 1, wizard 5, spellwarp sniper 5.

Strangely enough, he will ban the enchantment school. This makes sense to me - how does he charm someone when he spits on them as he talks?

At 11th level, he has 66k gp to spend. He obviously has a staff of fire (17,750 gp) and what wizard doesn't get Boccob's Blessed Book when he can afford it? (12,500 gp) what should he spend the remaining 35.75k gp on? Can you justify it based on the Tim the Enchanter scene from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail? I think his wonderful hat should be a magic item of some sort. Can you come up with something better than a "headband of intellect"?

Draz74
2011-04-22, 04:44 PM
Note that, according to Magic Item Compendium, you can add +INT to any head-slot item for no additional cost.

Is there an item with a cursed side effect of fear of rabbits?

mabriss lethe
2011-04-22, 11:45 PM
It's also possible that he's an Anima Mage binding Amon (or just a wizard with the Bind Vestige feat binding Amon.)

Allanimal
2011-04-23, 12:28 AM
It's also possible that he's an Anima Mage binding Amon (or just a wizard with the Bind Vestige feat binding Amon.)

I'm not familiar with the Anima Mage. What book is it from?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-04-23, 02:19 AM
I'm not familiar with the Anima Mage. What book is it from?

Anima Mage is from Tome of Magic. Amon is a vestige that gives horns, a fire breath, and a few other things.

Devmaar
2011-04-23, 04:31 AM
I'd think the fireballs are more like the Fiery Burst reserve feat. He's clearly not bothered about them running out and, like you said, they don't have a big burst.

pinballchico
2011-04-23, 07:01 AM
Lesser Orb of Fire perhaps? Really low caster lvl. Now you've got me really curious about how to make the holy handgrenade of antioch.

Allanimal
2011-04-24, 12:06 PM
I'd think the fireballs are more like the Fiery Burst reserve feat. He's clearly not bothered about them running out and, like you said, they don't have a big burst.

I like that. I'm going with it.