PDA

View Full Version : Storytelling Exalted 2E

Doran
2011-04-22, 05:46 PM
Hey guys, I've been thinking about STing exalted 2E in RL for a while now but I've little experience in GMing (some Paranoia IRC sessions) and no experience actually playing the system, although I do know most of the fluff from Keychain. What tips /advice would you guys give for getting to know how to run the crunch of a Exalted game, and also how to break it down into a few short 2 hour runs anyone can just come in and play?

For books, I have core and Sidereal, and I'd prefer not to fork out a whole load of cash for more atm, especially since I'm not sure if I'll really get into it.

Thanks,

doran

Indon
2011-04-22, 05:54 PM
If you want anyone to come in and pick up the game in an hour or two, you will need to premake characters.

Have the players play Solars, it works perfectly well.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-22, 05:58 PM
For books, I have core and Sidereal, and I'd prefer not to fork out a whole load of cash for more atm, especially since I'm not sure if I'll really get into it.At the moment, Sidereals is almost a waste of your time; some of the rules are a tad dodgy, and many of the Charms are in desperate need of errata.

On that note, you may want to download the Scroll of Errata for a later date; it's free, and fixes much of the broken stuff, but if Core's all you're using, it's not too necessary, except in clearing up some stuff, offering a few new things, et cetera.

Recaiden
2011-04-22, 06:12 PM
As an inexperienced storyteller, I'm just here to steal your ideas, but good luck if you do decide to run a game.
Predoing the characters is yes, necessary for short sessions. Can really slow down an RPG session.

Kylarra
2011-04-22, 06:42 PM
I definitely agree that premaking the characters is a must if you want to have short sessions.

Try to steer people away from the overly powerful weapons, and avoid using them yourself, at least at first.

Jerthanis
2011-04-22, 08:50 PM
Exalted is just about the polar opposite of "2 hour runs anyone can come in and play". It's quite possibly the crunchiest system I've ever played with 10 step attack resolution, exeption-based rule design, bucketfuls of dice and dozens of situational modifiers, different subsystems for terrain hazards, mass combat, social resolution... I don't know how Exalted could possibly be more complicated than it is.

I don't want to be all doom-and-gloom though, since Exalted is awesome.

If I were to try to make a fun, short and simple Exalted game, I'd premake the characters with only one or two simple combat tricks, and mostly give them the impressive and quirky powers from Linguistics, Larceny, Medicine, Lore, and Investigation. Then I'd make the game revolve mostly around solving a crime involving the spreading of a plague by a rogue god, and the charlatan faux thamaturges getting rich selling faulty cures and worthless talismans. Sort of quirky situations that the players can apply their powers toward in one way or another, but without really needing to resort to combat in the same way "Evil Necromancer under the old lighthouse is bent on killing everyone and raising them as zombies" might.

Combat in Exalted is awful, don't do it if you can avoid it, particularly with new players, as a new ST, and if you want to keep the game run time short. If the players draw swords, have their enemy surrender or take a hostage.

Weimann
2011-04-23, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I've been thinking about STing exalted 2E in RL for a while now but I've little experience in GMing (some Paranoia IRC sessions) and no experience actually playing the system, although I do know most of the fluff from Keychain. What tips /advice would you guys give for getting to know how to run the crunch of a Exalted game, and also how to break it down into a few short 2 hour runs anyone can just come in and play?Bad news is, Exalted isn't really a game you can pick up from the box and be off within the hour. Both the setting and the crunch require some reading before it, well, works properly. Remember that the game is meant to be player-driven, and as such, the players need to have an idea about what they have to work with. Therefore, finding players who are willing to do some reading on the setting in their spare time and who are interested in seeing what can be wrought from it is my absolute number one advice.

If you are intent on 2-hour-pick-up-and-go sessions, I'll echo the rest around here and say to make characters in advance. I'd be open for discussion on background and such, and Motivations in particular, but less about mechanical details. Also try to summarize the area you are in briefly, maybe on a printed page, to give them something to work with and see if it catches their interest.

For books, I have core and Sidereal, and I'd prefer not to fork out a whole load of cash for more atm, especially since I'm not sure if I'll really get into it.Solars. Go Solars. They are the most adaptable and least setting-bound splat there is, and they work fairly well out of the box, even if they need to be used in a particular manner to be fun. Setting up a fixed path for them to follow isn't a good, their charms can render any plot asunder in the first session. They must be given free rein to express themselves on the world in order to be a be entertaining.

Sidereals are... frankly, non-functional in their current state. We are awaiting a massive Sidereal errata wave, but we're on our, what, second year of waiting now, and there's no hint that it's imminent.

In any case, do make sure to download the Scroll of Errata. It's free off DriveThruRPG.

GryffonDurime
2011-04-24, 07:10 AM
So, if you're going to be a Storyteller, you need to learn where to crib and where to cheat. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is not to generate anyone but the Biggest of Bads as a fully developed character. Even with programs such as Anathema (http://anathema.sourceforge.net/), which exist to make chargen easier and generally do so, it's a lot to keep in mind. Instead, I highly recommend checking out Epsilon's Simplified NPC System (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=User:Epsilon/NPC_System), which makes it much easier (read: possible for anyone who hasn't memorized entire Charm cascades backwards and forwards) to generate characters on the fly. Give them a couple fun Charms that are flavorful and memorable, and let them be their signature techniques.

This is basically the same technique that the writers have used when statting out Third Circle Demons.

Doran
2011-04-24, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Ok, for my next question, assuming a circle of core only solars what kind of fight-light situation and setting would you recommended for a short and sweet look at exalted?

One thing I'm interested in is the idea of having players who know nothing of Exalted. So taking elements of that and some of the things you have suggested, starting off as heroic mortals, on a nod to the typical D&D style questing for the first 20 min or so, going to recieve a quest from the ruler. A couple social/style plot hooks - e.g. local gods have fallen out, demon cults are appearing. Plus in a standard Realm 'peace-keeping' exercise, several Wyld Hunts are marching past the city on their way further into the Threshold.

They recieve the quest, fall into a trap, are almost killed before exalting. At this point, caste 'templates' + charms are added to their characters - with for example the player who acted the most sneakiest beforehand becoming the night caste etcetra.

At this point, they confront the ruler, before discovering via his ranting he is the only linchpin holding things together, but if they leave him in place things will steadily get worse. At this point the game becomes a sandbox - they can resolve the situation how they like - including the choice to flee the Hunt if necessary, or solve the problems plaguing their hometown.

I'm now wondering how to tweak this scenario so that:
1) The scenario will be challenging, yet interesting
2) Some of the best and most interesting aspects of Exalted will be on display
3) The players will feel awesome
4) The game will be short/easily broken up

EDIT: On an unrelated note - anyone know why the Yozis needed the GSPs to have free will rather than just being super-akuma?

Lord Raziere
2011-04-24, 09:39 PM
EDIT: On an unrelated note - anyone know why the Yozis needed the GSPs to have free will rather than just being super-akuma?

1. the GSPs can adapt and improvise better when things go wrong than if they were controlled.

2. the Ebon Dragon said that if one of the Yozis went foolish and did something not according to plan, the GSPs could go to the other Yozis to help sort things out so that if a Yozi did something foolish while if they didn't, one fifth of the Reclamation generals would be killed because of a Yozi's foolishness.

3.cause the Ebon Dragon figured out that if they didn't have free will, the gods or other Exalted could order the Yozis to make the GSPs stand down and the Reclamation Plan would be done cause of the oaths the Yozis swore.
(buuut the likelihood of the gods actually figuring out that they could order the forces of the Yozis to stand down with no problem because their oaths is small since they would have to be just as clever the Ebon Dragon to figure it out)

In short, the Ebon dragon knows lawyer contract-wording skills and his fellows Yozis faults well and suggested free will so as to get around them.

Doran
2011-04-25, 04:07 PM
1. the GSPs can adapt and improvise better when things go wrong than if they were controlled.

2. the Ebon Dragon said that if one of the Yozis went foolish and did something not according to plan, the GSPs could go to the other Yozis to help sort things out so that if a Yozi did something foolish while if they didn't, one fifth of the Reclamation generals would be killed because of a Yozi's foolishness.

3.cause the Ebon Dragon figured out that if they didn't have free will, the gods or other Exalted could order the Yozis to make the GSPs stand down and the Reclamation Plan would be done cause of the oaths the Yozis swore.
(buuut the likelihood of the gods actually figuring out that they could order the forces of the Yozis to stand down with no problem because their oaths is small since they would have to be just as clever the Ebon Dragon to figure it out)

In short, the Ebon dragon knows lawyer contract-wording skills and his fellows Yozis faults well and suggested free will so as to get around them.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. So, what do you guys think of my vague plan? Useful criticisms, tips, rants?

Psyborg
2011-04-26, 02:30 PM
Leave those "caste templates" short about three Charms and a few background points. About...two sessions after Exaltation, once the players mostly have the hang of things, cut to 4-6 months in the future, during which time they went out and: Raided their previous incarnation's tomb for their orichalcum daiklave and hearthstone bracers. Practiced a couple new Charms. Spent time and money developing contacts in (city/organization of choice). Found a familiar. Repaired a damaged manse/found a lost manse/killed the god-blooded using an occupied manse/tracked down the hearthstone of an old useless manse. Made some friends/allies. Formed a cult in their name. Etc.