PDA

View Full Version : Malconvoker Adaptation

Zaq
2011-04-22, 05:48 PM
So, I was looking through Complete Scoundrel, and I noticed that the Malconvoker has an adaptation in the back. Yes, I know, adaptations are dicey at best and should usually be treated with extreme skepticism (except, of course, for the unarmed Swordsage, which is universally beloved and considered canon by everyone I know), but since I have no plans to play a Malconvoker character and this is purely theorycraft, it's worth discussing anyway.

Basically, in the vague fashion typical of adaptation sections, the adapted Malconvoker (whom we'll call the Angel Summoner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw), because "Benconvoker" sounds silly and is probably incorrect anyway) takes all mentions of "evil" in the class and flips them to "good," thus becoming really good at summoning capital-G Good critters and fighting alongside them. (The adaptation section hints that the Angel Summoner would be using Good creatures for Good purposes, rather than perfectly mirroring the Malconvoker's use of Evil creatures for Good purposes . . . just don't think too hard about why you can use Bluff to make them better.) How would this change the dynamics of the class? Would it be more or less interesting? I vaguely recall that there are more Evil creatures than Good creatures on the default summon list, but I freely admit that I haven't checked. Seems like a nifty idea, at least. I like the Malconvoker just fine, but it's still a neat adaptation. Thoughts?

Acanous
2011-04-22, 06:23 PM
I'd have no problem with it, really. For a more "We are the good guys!" party that includes a paladin, this might be neccesary. I'd propably rule that any Malconvoker can become an angel-summoner instead, but upon doing so they openly show that they've been playing evil against itself the whole time and can't go back to being a normal malconvoker.

Greenish
2011-04-22, 07:18 PM
Well, using Good critters for evil purposes could be deliciously evil for card-carrying villains. Even if the reverse is considered fair game by some goody twoshoes.

Bobikus
2011-04-22, 07:23 PM
...party that includes a paladin, this might be neccesary.

but the tension between the Malc and Paladin is one of the most fun reasons to be a Malc

Bang!
2011-04-22, 07:45 PM
You'd probably want to dumpster-dive various monster manuals and BoED for some Summon Monster options with decent SLAs.

Particle_Man
2011-04-22, 11:16 PM
Maybe sub in Diplomacy for Bluff (and the Sense Motive would be to not buy the pep talk from the lowly mortal)?

Veyr
2011-04-22, 11:26 PM
I'd have no problem with it, really. For a more "We are the good guys!" party that includes a paladin, this might be neccesary. I'd propably rule that any Malconvoker can become an angel-summoner instead, but upon doing so they openly show that they've been playing evil against itself the whole time and can't go back to being a normal malconvoker.
Malconvokers can summon angels anyway, they just don't get the benefits of their class features when dealing with angels.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-04-23, 02:22 AM
Maybe sub in Diplomacy for Bluff (and the Sense Motive would be to not buy the pep talk from the lowly mortal)?

If you were to stick with Good summoning better good, this would probably be the way to go. That said, I'm still a big fan of the Malconvokor as is and have been tempted to run one int he Lands of Dread, despite - hell, especially - because of what that would entail.

Coidzor
2011-04-23, 03:27 AM
If you were to stick with Good summoning better good, this would probably be the way to go. That said, I'm still a big fan of the Malconvokor as is and have been tempted to run one int he Lands of Dread, despite - hell, especially - because of what that would entail.

Lands of Dread?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-04-23, 08:20 AM
Lands of Dread?

Ravenloft campaign setting, although that carries heavy costs with things like Malconvokor - both on the "using evil for good" and summoning ends.

Coidzor
2011-04-23, 11:11 AM
Ravenloft campaign setting, although that carries heavy costs with things like Malconvokor - both on the "using evil for good" and summoning ends.

Huh. Here I thought it was called the Dimensions of Dread. :smallconfused: Yeah. That'd be... interesting to say the least.