PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with suggestion [3.5]

Kingscourt
2011-04-22, 11:04 PM
In my current campaign, I (6th level wizard) am about to interrogate a cultist sorcerer (estimated to about 8th level) in the basement of an inn. I have him currently tied up down there, making it so that he can't cast any somatic spells... unfortunately he knows suggestion, which means he could very easily suggest me while I am interrogating him. In our fight, he cast suggestion and lightning bolt, meaning he has (at least) 3 uses of suggestion left.

At my disposal is a PC rogue (5), and a PC barbarian (5), as well as an NPC diviner. My will save is currently +7, and I was just wondering if there was anything I should/could do to make sure I am not either suggested, nor am I let of the basement or something similar if I am. My current plan is to go down the barbarian to intimidate him, and have the rogue and the diviner keep watch on the other side of the basement door, but I was wondering if there was a better way to do this (some sort of code to get out, I'm not sure if that work because I would still no it if I am suggested), but anything you guys could figure would be great :smallsmile:

For your convenience:

Suggestion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-
Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until completed
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.

The suggested course of activity can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. You can instead specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. If the condition is not met before the spell duration expires, the activity is not performed.

A very reasonable suggestion causes the save to be made with a penalty (such as –1 or –2).

Material Component: A snake’s tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil.

Douglas
2011-04-22, 11:12 PM
Taking away his spell component pouch would do it if he doesn't have Eschew Materials.

More generally, casting a spell is an obvious action. Just have the barbarian ready an action to hit him for nonlethal if he casts anything.

Kingscourt
2011-04-22, 11:16 PM
Taking away his spell component pouch would do it if he doesn't have Eschew Materials.

More generally, casting a spell is an obvious action. Just have the barbarian ready an action to hit him for nonlethal if he casts anything.

Ah, forgot to mention (my bad). Houserule'd in our game, Sorcerers automatically get Eschew Materials, and Suggestion is cast just by 'suggesting' something (in the sense that the magic is in the words). My biggest worry about that is he could just 'suggest' the Barbarian into attacking me, and then keep on suggesting me while I attempt to dispel the barbarian.

Douglas
2011-04-22, 11:23 PM
Worst case you should still be able to tell when he's casting it by making a DC 18 Spellcraft check. If you can reliably succeed on that and signal the barbarian to smack him, that might work.

Or just gag him and have him write his answers.

Greenish
2011-04-22, 11:29 PM
My biggest worry about that is he could just 'suggest' the Barbarian into attacking meHow is that "reasonable" and not "obviously harmful"? :smallconfused:

Anyhow, he can only cast one suggestion at the time. Have all three of you present when questioning him, then have people rib each other if the sorcerer seems to manage them to do something they normally wouldn't.

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-23, 12:09 AM
Alternatively, only one of you actually needs to hear things. Just have the barbarian plug his ears and pretend to follow along by reading body language (you'd need something of a script and some ques but if he's just there to intimidate than it shouldn't be much of a problem). If you start to act funny than he can just smack the two of you around a bit and if you catch the sorc trying to suggest the barb (he doesn't need to know that he can't hear) signal him to hit the guy.

Toliudar
2011-04-23, 12:41 AM
And if you're still paranoid, just leave him bound and ask him questions that he can answer with nods and shakes of his head.

Cerlis
2011-04-23, 12:50 AM
How is that "reasonable" and not "obviously harmful"? :smallconfused:

Anyhow, he can only cast one suggestion at the time. Have all three of you present when questioning him, then have people rib each other if the sorcerer seems to manage them to do something they normally wouldn't.

the handbook lists "Suggesting they would like to take a hot bath in a pool of lava" or something simular, as a legal suggestion.

So i dont think harm is an issue.

NichG
2011-04-23, 12:58 AM
It's a little funny for an interrogation, but you could do it by writing instead of by speech. It makes sense when you're interrogating someone who can bend reality with their words.

TheCoelacanth
2011-04-23, 01:01 AM
As a level 6 wizard you should have no trouble making the Spellcraft check necessary to identify that he's casting Suggestion. Since you aren't distracted or threatened, you can take 10 to guarantee that you succeed. If you ready an action to gag him if he starts casting you should be able to interrupt the spell.

Thiyr
2011-04-23, 03:07 PM
the handbook lists "Suggesting they would like to take a hot bath in a pool of lava" or something simular, as a legal suggestion.

So i dont think harm is an issue.

If I remember correctly, that was actually a use that wouldn't work, but that if it could be phrased in such a way that it seemed reasonable, it could work (I think their example was something similar to getting someone to jump into a pool of acid by saying "Doesn't that pool of water look refreshing? Why don't you go take a dip?")

That said, the situation Greenish was saying seemed obviously harmful wouldn't count as harmful anyway. "That guy just (killed your puppy/made out with your wife/stole your sandvich)! Doesn't that just make you want to bash his puny, defenseless brains in?"

tyckspoon
2011-04-23, 03:14 PM
..I'm the first one to mention this? Protection From Evil, yo. Suppresses mental control effects, lasts long enough to carry out an interrogation.

Douglas
2011-04-23, 04:34 PM
..I'm the first one to mention this? Protection From Evil, yo. Suppresses mental control effects, lasts long enough to carry out an interrogation.
Not quite. Protection From Evil only blocks things that give ongoing control. Suggestion is a one-time fire-and-forget effect so it doesn't qualify.

tyckspoon
2011-04-23, 04:36 PM
Not quite. Protection From Evil only blocks things that give ongoing control. Suggestion is a one-time fire-and-forget effect so it doesn't qualify.

Which lasts an hour/level and can influence the subjects actions for the entire duration, if what you want him to do takes that long, or set a trigger condition to influence his action at a later time. 'Ongoing control' is not a defined condition, and I have a really hard time thinking of anything that lasts several hours as not being 'ongoing control.'

Douglas
2011-04-23, 05:06 PM
'Ongoing control' in the sense of things like Charm, Dominate, and possession - things that allow you to issue commands repeatedly after the initial casting. Suggestion is one single command, unalterable after it's given.

This was spelled out in one of the Rules of the Game articles, I think, or maybe it was an FAQ. Anyway, it's the only interpretation I can think of that makes sense and gives the 'ongoing control' clause a reason for existing.