PDA

View Full Version : If you were immune to harm...

Dust
2011-04-22, 11:11 PM
...completely impervious to injury and nigh-unkillable, what would your day job be?

For a Scion game, wherein godlike constitution still doesn't mean you don't need to pull a nine-to-five.

Xefas
2011-04-23, 12:12 AM
Chef. Because I'd still want to do what I like to do? :smallconfused:

Arutema
2011-04-23, 12:13 AM
Bomb disposal.

SWAT team.

Test pilot.

And that's only the civilian possibilities.

Xyk
2011-04-23, 01:03 AM
I would not have a job. I would probably travel the world, write books, skydive without parachutes, etc.

If you're impervious to harm, you do not need to pay for food. What are they gonna do? Kill me?

Rhydeble
2011-04-23, 01:41 AM
Well, if they have enough musclepower they can probably still lock you up. being impervious to harm doesn't mean being impervious to steel chains.

Anyway, I'd probably become a test pilot or deep-sea diver or something.

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 01:50 AM
What are they gonna do? Kill me?

Lock you up in Solitary Confinement for 60 years? It wouldn't kill you, but it would drive you crazy.

Unless you are impervious to that too, in which case I guess you'd just be bored.

I would think comercial crab fisherman, like on Deadliest Catch. That stuff pays like 20,000 dollars for three weeks work. If you could do it without any pain, never being tired and absolutely no way for you to die from it... it would be like the perfect job for you.

Conners
2011-04-23, 02:15 AM
I'd become the World Champion in a variety of combat sports.

Theodoriph
2011-04-23, 02:41 AM
Either a mad scientist, or the circus. I'd either be impervious to when my experiments blew up in my face, or I'd make a ton of cash charging people to assault me.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-23, 02:56 AM
Preferably something beneficial to humanity. I like the bomb disposal idea.

Safety inspector? Crash test dummy? Bill myself as a "frustration outlet" and sell by-the-hour "beat the living snot out of this poor sod" sessions to people with a lot of pent-up anger?

Gadora
2011-04-23, 03:36 AM
Is this character also immune to pain?

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 03:43 AM
Well, if he's impervious to any injury, how could he ever feel any pain from it?

I imagine he doesn't feel any pain at all.

Which, I think would make him a particularly bad crash test dummy. He would be able to walk away from crashes that would kill people. Crash Test dummies need to be human analogues, and a Superman just won't cut it.

However... Hollywood stunt man might work. Imagine how many cool stunts no longer need special effects if the person is able to walk away from anything.

Reluctance
2011-04-23, 04:52 AM
Never played Scion, so how much does it focus on the classic "you don't want to flash your superpowers" angle, vs. the newfangled "I am awesome, and have no compunctions about showing it"? Because in the former case, I'd definitely go for something with significant hazard pay that balances against significant hazard. Depending on the severity when disaster strikes, you can either luck out, or create a new identity elsewhere.

If you don't mind the whole world knowing that you're godlike, capitalize on it. There has to be some way that you can become famous for being god-descended, and fame can be easily leveraged for money.

Bang!
2011-04-23, 04:58 AM
If I could survive indefinitely in the unforgiving undersea depths, I would be all over that noise. Jacques Cousteau stuff, but with cement shoes and a flashlight.

Otherwise, a stuntman would be a very appealing thing to be.

Roderick_BR
2011-04-23, 01:30 PM
Nigh-unkillable means other ways other than damage? There had a comic, Marvel Max, I think, with someone speciallized in killing super beings. This one guy was immune to all damage, including to his internal organs, poisons, and all.
The killed asfixiated him by tiying his hands (no super-strength) and tapping a plastic bag around his head. He was not immune to not breathing.

It was pretty much like a RPG player thinking out of the box to screw up an "unkillable" NPC.

Back to the question... Probably as body double for VERY extreme action movies. That would give a good money, while keeping you "annonymous", except for the big names in the entertaining industry.
Being immune to pain would be a bonus (but not immune to tactile feeling, that would cause too many problems).

Traab
2011-04-23, 01:47 PM
Well, if he's impervious to any injury, how could he ever feel any pain from it?

I imagine he doesn't feel any pain at all.

Which, I think would make him a particularly bad crash test dummy. He would be able to walk away from crashes that would kill people. Crash Test dummies need to be human analogues, and a Superman just won't cut it.

However... Hollywood stunt man might work. Imagine how many cool stunts no longer need special effects if the person is able to walk away from anything.

Actually that last one isnt true. You NEED those special effects, or the explosions and gun fights just look plain. And really, at this stage of technology, its almost easier and better to computer generate most of the effects than to try and plan them out irl. After all, with a computer, you can make that explosion look perfect, with gasoline bombs and other pyrotechnics, it takes a lot of finesse to get the perfect boom.

Seb Wiers
2011-04-23, 02:11 PM
Stuntman gets my vote. Getting payed to wreck cars on camera, without any chance of injury? Sign me up!
Helping geologists with vulcano research might figure in too, but I'd be worried about choking on toxic gasses.

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 02:17 PM
You NEED those special effects, or the explosions and gun fights just look plain.

I would argue they might look plain, but on the other end of the spectrum they would look REAL. Someone going for a realistic gritty look to their movie might not want guns with HUGE amounts of muzzle fire, or the car crash to EXPLODE like every hollywood car crash, and maybe wants the cars to react, you know, how they would normally react if they fell off a cliff?

But, then we're just going into type of movie and prefence of director, so to each his own.

But with an impervious stuntman, the director now has an option.

fter all, with a computer, you can make that explosion look perfect,

Meh, again preference. Say what you want about Michael Bay but he does direct a really good explosion.

I would see a Michael Bay film with lots of real special effects over a George Lucas green-screen perfected Prequel any day of the week.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-23, 03:09 PM
Lock you up in Solitary Confinement for 60 years? It wouldn't kill you, but it would drive you crazy.

Unless you are impervious to that too, in which case I guess you'd just be bored.

I would think comercial crab fisherman, like on Deadliest Catch. That stuff pays like 20,000 dollars for three weeks work. If you could do it without any pain, never being tired and absolutely no way for you to die from it... it would be like the perfect job for you.
Immune to damage means not getting tired?
You'd still need your boat, and know how to bring the crabs in.

Personally:
I'd go to Fukushima. In addition to the 300 men working there, they are (or were) trying to get outside contractors at a rate of 5000$ (not yen, US dollars) a day. And that's for short stays.
Immune to damage, well I assume "Hitpoints" is the idea, but radiation just damages cells, so I should be immune to radiation sickness (too many damaged cells) and increased risks of cancer.
Spend half my summer break there, a few weeks traveling the country, then back to the states. And I'll have enough money still leftover to pay off most of a house.

Toliudar
2011-04-23, 03:47 PM
Maybe I was raised on too many of those "must not reveal my powers" stories, but if I were invulnerable, I'd be really paranoid about large organizations trying to experiment on me in order to figure out what makes me different. Forty years in a concrete box as they try to determine the source and parameters of my indestructibility sounds like a nightmare I'd do a great deal to avoid.

So, in some extraordinary circumstances, in which I might be able to conceal my identity, I might step up to help in a dangerous situation. Agree to help out in the middle of an overheating nuclear reactor, for example. But otherwise, I'd be trying to live a quiet life in which my abnormality is overlooked.

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 04:24 PM
Immune to damage means not getting tired?

Umm. Yes.

Well, to put it more accurately you'd never FEEL tired. You'd still be tired. So long as you go to sleep and rest like everyone else you should be fine.

Tired muscles produce lactic acid, which causes pain in the brain in order to let you know you're working too hard.

Impervious to pain means your muscles never tire... they never build up lactic acid and they never give you a tired feeling.

And lack of sleep only means that the mind and body are tired. They're losing out on energy and need to refresh. But, since you feel no pain you wouldn't feel any of these symptoms.

So long as you go to sleep every once in a while, there's no problems. And we know a regular person can survive being a commercial crab fisherman because... well... normal people are commercial crab fisherman. We're not asking Impervious Man to do anything more than normal people can do. He just is able to do it without feeling any pain.

Mastikator
2011-04-23, 05:02 PM
ChefSoftware developer. Because I'd still want to do what I like to do? :smallconfused:

Basically the same sentiment here.

My lifestyle would be different, for sure. This would change things. But not my job. I already have my dream job.

Solaris
2011-04-23, 05:07 PM
My job would simultaneously get much more interesting and much more boring.

Ravens_cry
2011-04-23, 05:56 PM
Go to Africa, South America, and other parts of the world with major land mine problems, and go help out while studying why I suddenly invulnerable.

Traab
2011-04-23, 06:34 PM
Go to Africa, South America, and other parts of the world with major land mine problems, and go help out while studying why I suddenly invulnerable.

Thats freaking hilarious. /BOOM! "Found another one! Can you bring me my spare pair of pants please?"

herrhauptmann
2011-04-23, 06:44 PM
Umm. Yes.

Well, to put it more accurately you'd never FEEL tired. You'd still be tired. So long as you go to sleep and rest like everyone else you should be fine.

Tired muscles produce lactic acid, which causes pain in the brain in order to let you know you're working too hard.

Impervious to pain means your muscles never tire... they never build up lactic acid and they never give you a tired feeling.

And lack of sleep only means that the mind and body are tired. They're losing out on energy and need to refresh. But, since you feel no pain you wouldn't feel any of these symptoms.

So long as you go to sleep every once in a while, there's no problems. And we know a regular person can survive being a commercial crab fisherman because... well... normal people are commercial crab fisherman. We're not asking Impervious Man to do anything more than normal people can do. He just is able to do it without feeling any pain.
But there's more to being tired than just your muscles getting exhausted and producing lactic acid. Some tasks can produce mental fatigue long before physical fatigue.
Besides, wasn't the original post, impervious to damage, not pain?

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 07:07 PM
Well the OP says impervious to injury, but the title says immune to harm.

I guess it depends on if you consider both physical and mental fatigue to be an injury or not.

I would assume if you're impervious to a bullet in the head you would be impervious to staying up for 30 hours straight.

Personally I would say the concept of being impervious to injury makes you immune to pain as well, including pain such as mental and physical fatigue. Injury and pain go hand in hand. If you don't have one, why would you have the other?

Because if this "gift" means you still feel all the pain, then I would say most of these jobs are still undo-able.

There's no point of being a stuntman if you're constantly having the "feeling" of broken limbs and torn muscles even if they are fine.

Why would you want to work as Fukushima? You would still feel the radiation sickness even if your cells are fine.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-23, 10:23 PM
Why would you want to work as Fukushima? You would still feel the radiation sickness even if your cells are fine.
Radiation sickness is just a term describing what happens to your overall body.
When your body gets blasted with radiation, cell membranes rupture, chemical reactions set up inside cells, and DNA/RNA of the struck cell can be altered. Generally referred to as "Damage"
If I'm immune to that damage, I won't get radiation sickness. Plus there's no pain to actually getting hit with radiation. At least until you get hit with a source strong enough that it actually boils the fluids in your eyeball or something. I'm pretty sure that would actually hurt. :smalleek:

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 10:42 PM
Yes, that's exactly my point. If the cells don't get damaged you shouldn't be able to feel the pain.

Same thing with being tired. Your brain cells and your muscle cells are immune to any type of damage, including that of fatigue, so they never tire... so you never tire.

Although, I explained it without eyeballs boiling. But thank you for being so descriptive.

Traab
2011-04-23, 10:43 PM
Well the OP says impervious to injury, but the title says immune to harm.

I guess it depends on if you consider both physical and mental fatigue to be an injury or not.

I would assume if you're impervious to a bullet in the head you would be impervious to staying up for 30 hours straight.

Personally I would say the concept of being impervious to injury makes you immune to pain as well, including pain such as mental and physical fatigue. Injury and pain go hand in hand. If you don't have one, why would you have the other?

Because if this "gift" means you still feel all the pain, then I would say most of these jobs are still undo-able.

There's no point of being a stuntman if you're constantly having the "feeling" of broken limbs and torn muscles even if they are fine.

I look at impervious as Luke Cage. He had ultra hard skin, even to the point of being bullet proof. But it still hurt like HELL to have bullets smashing into his skin.

TOZ
2011-04-23, 10:50 PM
Become a super hero and fight crime.

Sillycomic
2011-04-23, 10:50 PM
Yes, but if that's true then you have to re-think all of the jobs. If everything still hurts you and you're able to feel pain then all of the jobs we listed are just you asking for some weird masochistic punishment for money.

Standing close to lava? Continually feeling your skin burn off simply so you can give some lab assistants test results?

If being impervious to injury makes me still feel all kinds of pain, then I would change my vote and just stick with my regular day job.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-24, 12:34 AM
Yes, that's exactly my point. If the cells don't get damaged you shouldn't be able to feel the pain.

Same thing with being tired. Your brain cells and your muscle cells are immune to any type of damage, including that of fatigue, so they never tire... so you never tire.

Although, I explained it without eyeballs boiling. But thank you for being so descriptive.

I'm not so sure that mental fatigue is "damage" like muscle fatigue. Like from taking a test that's 5 hours long, or defending a thesis for 4.

And with immunity or not, you don't feel pain from the radiation, just from the effects of the sickness. Which comes after (though now that I think about it, some varieties can be like getting a real bad sunburn)

golentan
2011-04-24, 12:42 AM
Well, I'd probably go and advertise myself, asking for a small stipend in exchange for attempts to study and duplicate the effect for other people. I honestly think that would be one of the best possible uses of such an ability.

I'd also totally go hang out in the local kelp forests during my time off. And possibly (if my "day job" placed me near a major city which would have need for such things) volunteer for all sorts of hazard work keeping the populace safe in the mean time.

Starwulf
2011-04-24, 01:05 AM
If I could survive indefinitely in the unforgiving undersea depths, I would be all over that noise. Jacques Cousteau stuff, but with cement shoes and a flashlight.

Otherwise, a stuntman would be a very appealing thing to be.

Assuming no-one else has mentioned this: What if you got swallowed by a whale, or some other enormous sea creature that lurks at the bottom of the ocean? You'd be stuck inside of a whale for an extended period of time until you managed to claw your way out(and given how thick a whales skin/blubber is, that might take a looooonnnggg time)

golentan
2011-04-24, 01:12 AM
Assuming no-one else has mentioned this: What if you got swallowed by a whale, or some other enormous sea creature that lurks at the bottom of the ocean? You'd be stuck inside of a whale for an extended period of time until you managed to claw your way out(and given how thick a whales skin/blubber is, that might take a looooonnnggg time)

I'm sure if you were willing to wait you'd get out on your own time.

Might not be pleasant though. Still, the number of whales willing and able to do something like that would be pretty small.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-24, 01:43 AM
I'm sure if you were willing to wait you'd get out on your own time.

Might not be pleasant though. Still, the number of whales willing and able to do something like that would be pretty small.

Actually heard of that happening once. Man on an old time whaling ship fell off the small skiff and was presumed lost at sea.
2 days later the crew was butchering a whale and pulled him out of the stomach, completely insane.
True? No idea. But one of the supplemental books we had available in 4th grade had that story in it. I forget why there was a section in the history book about whaling, but it was there.

Soren Hero
2011-04-24, 02:23 AM

this is why u always carry a short sword..in case you get swallowed whole by a Tarrasque or something similar :)

Bang!
2011-04-24, 02:31 AM
Then I would have no choice but to gnaw my way out. I am very certain that is what Jacques Cousteau would do. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-04-24, 02:45 AM
Thats freaking hilarious. /BOOM! "Found another one!
Can you bring me my spare pair of pants please?"
Jungle Fields [to the tune of "Jingle Bells"]
Dancing through mine fields,
Pants all ripped and peeled,
O'er the feilds I go,
Exploding every way
Hellish explosions ring,
Making night time bright,
What luck it is to not burn and singe
From long laying mines tonight

Oh Jungle Fields, Jungle Fields
Mines all gone away
What joy it is to be be rid,
Of what would others slay!
Oh Jungle Fields, Jungle Fields
Mines all gone away,
What joy it is to be be rid,
Of what would others slay!

sengmeng
2011-04-24, 07:25 AM
I'd join the military (all training would be a breeze, presumably) and get the absolute most dangerous assignments I could, and probably get the medal of honor for crazily charging into enemy gunfire with no fear. Eventually, they'd figure me out and put me in a special unit like on Wolverine: Origin.

Ravens_cry
2011-04-24, 04:00 PM
If it's anything like the Weapon X graphic novel, that sounds rather less then pleasant.

Kyberwulf
2011-04-25, 11:41 AM
Okay, i was thinking, even if you inpervious to Radiation..wouldn't you still soak it up. Becoming Radioactive,.. and causeing all kinds of nasty stuff to other people while you walk around?

Dante & Vergil
2011-04-29, 02:06 AM
I'd join the military (all training would be a breeze, presumably) and get the absolute most dangerous assignments I could, and probably get the medal of honor for crazily charging into enemy gunfire with no fear. Eventually, they'd figure me out and put me in a special unit like on Wolverine: Origin.

You couldn't actually get stronger if you were impervious to damage, because, if what I've heard is correct, you build muscle by micro-tearing it doing excersises, and when you sleep properly, your body builds it up, and stronger at that because the body prepares itself for when it happens again.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-29, 02:08 AM
Okay, i was thinking, even if you inpervious to Radiation..wouldn't you still soak it up. Becoming Radioactive,.. and causeing all kinds of nasty stuff to other people while you walk around?

Hmm, that could be a problem. But that would pretty much require implanting a few grams of plutonium or cobalt-60 in your body. Guess you end up like that guy in the first season of Heroes.

golentan
2011-04-29, 02:15 AM
You couldn't actually get stronger if you were impervious to damage, because, if what I've heard is correct, you build muscle by micro-tearing it doing excersises, and when you sleep properly, your body builds it up, and stronger at that because the body prepares itself for when it happens again.

Yeah, but on the other hand without fear of damage you could be much stronger for the same value of muscle because you could push it to it's theoretical mechanical limit without pain or injury.

J.Gellert
2011-04-29, 04:17 AM
Am I immune to poisons? If yes, then world emperor. If no, then superhero. A very public superhero.

Dante & Vergil
2011-04-29, 05:20 AM
Yeah, but on the other hand without fear of damage you could be much stronger for the same value of muscle because you could push it to it's theoretical mechanical limit without pain or injury.

My post only held barring if you wanted to join the military to get stronger physically, which you do not, so it is moot, but I guess it should be said now incase anyone posting later thinks they can pull something like said off.

Jay R
2011-04-29, 10:51 AM

Since I am a man of infinite-resource-and-sagacity, I would stump and I'd bump, and I'd prance and I'd dance, and I'd bang and I'd clang, and I'd hit and I'd bite, and I'd leap and I'd creep, and I'd prowl and I'd howl, and I'd hop and I'd drop, and I'd cry and I'd sigh, and I'd crawl and I'd bawl, and I'd step and I'd leap, and I'd dance hornpipes where I shouldn't, and the Whale would feel most unhappy indeed.

And I would not forget my suspenders.

Goober4473
2011-04-29, 11:13 AM

Unless your body is made up of divine ichor instead of muscle mass, in which case you get stronger by becoming more awesome. That's how characters in Scion work.

Also, Epic Stamina doesn't make you impervious to everything. It just makes you really tough. At the end of Hero level (like heroic tier in D&D 4), you ignore 4 extra points of damage from mundane soruces (normal people have 8 health levels [hit points, kinda], and can ignore maybe a point or two of damage), 3 from stuff that harms your soul, you ignore all wound penalties, you can go 4 weeks without food or sleep, and 2 without water, you can hold your breath for eight times the normal length. Guns can still hurt you, though a gunfight is perhaps about as lethal to you as a fistfight is to a normal person.

By the end of Demigod level (like paragon tier in D&D 4), you ignore 22 extra normal damage, or 7 to your soul, have 22 extra health levels (on top of the normal ~8), can go 22 weeks without food or sleep, and 11 without water, and you can hold your breath for 5,000 times the normal length. At this point, you're pretty much immune to hand-held weapons, but an anti-tank rocket could probably hurt you a little. But you'll also be dealing with a very powerful Fateful Aura, which basically means CR-appropriate challenges happen around you all the time while you're in the mortal world. You might still be able to have a day job if you keep a low profile, but most likely, you'll be forced into some epic conflict whether you like it or not. Plus, you'll eventually start getting bound to mortals, who's perception of you will force you to change to become how they think you are.

By the end of God (like epic tier in D&D 4), you ignore 46 extra damage, 12 to your soul, you have 46 extra health levels, you can go 46 weeks without food or sleep, or 23 without water, and you can hold your breath for 5 million times the normal length. You can also, for a large expenditure of resources, ignore damage from one thing, come back from the dead, or fully heal yourself. At this point, mortal harm is meaningless to you, but you basically can't hang around the mortal world without causing massive disaster or becoming whatever people percieve you to be.

sengmeng
2011-04-29, 05:42 PM
I'm already strong enough to be in the military (since I was in the military).

if I, me, today, became immune to harm, I'd go back in and seek out a recon job, or whatever I could that is the most dangerous, because superheroes aren't real, so that is where I feel I could make the most use of invulnerability.

Heliomance
2011-04-29, 07:46 PM
Since I am a man of infinite-resource-and-sagacity, I would stump and I'd bump, and I'd prance and I'd dance, and I'd bang and I'd clang, and I'd hit and I'd bite, and I'd leap and I'd creep, and I'd prowl and I'd howl, and I'd hop and I'd drop, and I'd cry and I'd sigh, and I'd crawl and I'd bawl, and I'd step and I'd leap, and I'd dance hornpipes where I shouldn't, and the Whale would feel most unhappy indeed.

And I would not forget my suspenders.

Ah, you are wise indeed, Best Beloved.

flabort
2011-04-29, 08:45 PM
So I'm immune to "harm"... is aging "harm"? Can I still die from effects that would not be considered "harm"?

But in either case, I'd become a pyrotechnician (That's "Explosives Expert" to laymen, "Fireworks guy" to young children, and "Boom! Boom!" to even younger kids), who learned his trade through trial and error.
Not many can say that they learned it through any way but university. I'd like to say I got my degree post-mortem the hard way.

Saintheart
2011-04-29, 08:53 PM
If I were immune to harm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/harm.htm) I'd probably be undead, really...

Oh, come on. Two pages and nobody went for that joke? Somebody had to say it! :smallbiggrin:

Shalist
2011-04-30, 02:09 AM
Become a super hero and fight crime.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned cheerleading.

---

Also, does it still count as being immune to something if you're healed by it? :P

Extra_Crispy
2011-04-30, 08:05 AM
Nigh-unkillable means other ways other than damage? There had a comic, Marvel Max, I think, with someone speciallized in killing super beings. This one guy was immune to all damage, including to his internal organs, poisons, and all.
The killed asfixiated him by tiying his hands (no super-strength) and tapping a plastic bag around his head. He was not immune to not breathing.

Actually that was Rising Stars, I love that comic.

On the subject of being stronger because you are immune to harm. No does not work. Yes you would be you would be able to try harder because you would not feel the pain and give up but your muscles would still be able to only lift so much weight, within maybe a pound or two of what you could lift if you were not immune to harm. Think of the muscle as a rubber band, it will, if made exactly the same way, only support so much weight before breaking. Also you could not get any stronger, as it was said before, you actually gain muscle by damaging your muscles. As you lift weights small tears and "burning" happens to the muscle so then when you rest your body rebuilds the damaged muscle by thickening it and building more muscle fibers to be able to do that again with out hurting. That is why you have to increase the weight or your muscle gets built up and is no longer harmed and thus does not build more to protect itself. So if you are completely immune to harm you could not get stronger.

Depending on how you interperate it being immune to harm could have VERY bad results. What if you got cancer. That could be thought of as something that does harm to you (as it does harm other cells and such) and you could be immune to it, or as cancer is just mutated cells of your own body they would be immune to harm also and you could not get rid of it. So while it would not kill you by destroying nearby cells it would keep growing all the time and you would have HUGE lumps all over the place that could not be removed. While lots of cancers are caused by harming a cell, thus causing a genetic mutation and a bad division of the cell, ie radiation. Sometimes it is caused by an oops and the cell for no reason splits bad. Our bodies usually kill those cells but if they are immune to harm......Talk about the huge amount of cancers you would have...

Blackjackg
2011-04-30, 08:12 AM
I'd take firefighter over bomb disposal. Just because of plausible deniability. You go into a fire and come out carrying a baby, everyone calls you a hero and no one asks too many questions. You screw up defusing a bomb (only occasion in that job where being invulnerable is an asset) it wipes out a city block and you walk away? People get suspicious.

sengmeng
2011-04-30, 07:22 PM
On the subject of being stronger because you are immune to harm. No does not work. Yes you would be you would be able to try harder because you would not feel the pain and give up but your muscles would still be able to only lift so much weight, within maybe a pound or two of what you could lift if you were not immune to harm. Think of the muscle as a rubber band, it will, if made exactly the same way, only support so much weight before breaking. Also you could not get any stronger, as it was said before, you actually gain muscle by damaging your muscles. As you lift weights small tears and "burning" happens to the muscle so then when you rest your body rebuilds the damaged muscle by thickening it and building more muscle fibers to be able to do that again with out hurting. That is why you have to increase the weight or your muscle gets built up and is no longer harmed and thus does not build more to protect itself. So if you are completely immune to harm you could not get stronger.

No one said your strength would be superhuman, only that you could attempt to do stupid things without fear... you can lift with your back, use a sharp, jerking twisting motion (a la Peter Griffin) and throw objects near your own weight without muscle tears or spinal injuries. You could strap a one hundred pound pack to your back and sprint downhill with your eyes shut, as long as you can take the pain. In addition, you could take meth, PCP, and epinephrine (at the same time, if you want) and really boost your performance, without fear. So yes, your muscle fibers wouldn't tear and rebuild anymore, but you can push yourself beyond human limits. Your EFFECTIVE strength would be higher, without your muscles actually changing.

Wolverine would be still be cooler though. He CAN get stronger, and he would get the benefit of exercise right away, and also has his muscles anchored to an unbreakable skeleton.

boomwolf
2011-04-30, 08:54 PM
Mercenary/assassin.

They cant get you, ever. just keep a weapon on you at all times. heck, even if they DO find you then you will simply kill them all and go back to hiding.

Black_Zawisza
2011-05-01, 12:03 AM
Acquire a gun. Commence Operation Dictatorship Disposal.

Talakeal
2011-05-01, 12:36 AM
It was my understanding that the lactic acid causing pain is a myth, that it was merely breaking down the tissue that caused pain.

Exhaustion, on the other hand, is using up the oxygen and other nutrients in your blood stream which the muscle requires, and I can't see being invulnerable removing that.

Your muscles do have built in limitations on their strength. This is why people who are on drugs or in an extreme emotional state seem to possess superhuman strength, they bypass these limitations. Being invulnerable wouldn't automatically do this, but I imagine you could train yourself to.

As for feeling pain, you normally only feel "pain" when your cells are destroyed, so I wouldn't think you would. However, I am not sure what extreme sensations would feel like. I can't imagine what being invulnerable would be like from a mechanical perspective, so I can't really answer that. Your cells react normally, but simply cannot be destroyed? If someone touches you, does your flesh yield to them, or are you like a statue? If you are in a furnace, do you remain cool to the touch, or do your molecules heat up to an incredible degree without bursting somehow?

PetterTomBos
2011-05-01, 01:41 AM
If I still could feel pain, but loved the adrenaline and money -> find something really dangerous, but not apparant hazardeos, like stuntman as said or mine-remover (no need for protective equipment ! yayy!)

If else, maybe he does it the complete other way around. Yeah I'm immune to damage, but I really like "subject" and I get enough action as a PC as it is!

Aron Times
2011-05-01, 09:57 PM
In before Captain Jack Harkness. Who flirts and "dances" with Anything That Moves.

Lapak
2011-05-01, 10:04 PM
In before Captain Jack Harkness. Who flirts and "dances" with Anything That Moves.Who (everyone who is answering anything that involves violence/conquest/making enemies should take note) ran into someone who not only worked out how to neutralize him (when blowing him to shreds didn't do the job), but did so in a way that would have amounted to eternal torment for anyone who couldn't die or be harmed.

Aron Times
2011-05-01, 10:18 PM
Great minds think alike, apparently. I was waiting for someone to point out the drawback in being invulnerable, and it comes directly after my hint. Nice!

Sergeantbrother
2011-05-02, 05:14 AM
I would just be a security guard at a football stadium.

Brother Oni
2011-05-02, 05:46 AM
A lot of mis-understanding about lactic acid build up here.

When there's insufficient oxygen supply to the muscle, the muscle is forced to anaerobically respire glucose to provide the necessary energy to keep work.
One of the by products of this reaction is lactic acid, which the muscle stores.

When the lactic acid concentration builds up, the muscle will simply stop working as among other things, the cellular pH is too low for further reactions to continue. Resting and allowing oxygen supply to catch up, allows the body to respire the lactate, providing more energy, and letting the system get back to normal.

Microtears in the muscle happen at this time, but you don't feel the pain until later (hence why it always hurts the day after you start exercising).

In terms of someone who cannot feel pain, they'll strain until they feel a burning sensation in their muscles then the muscle will just stop working.
If they're invulnerable to harm, then there won't be any issue of them tearing themselves apart when overstraining their muscles (eg: Major Kusanagi at the end of the first Ghost on the Shell movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8V9jG7Wjg) ~5.00 onwards).