PDA

View Full Version : Interesting personalities: I need them

SlashRunner
2011-04-23, 01:05 AM
I've currently just started a campaign with a group of friends, and I need some interesting personalities to populate the world with. We aren't too serious (one of our players is playing as a stoner and a rapist (a rogue with "sneak attack" renamed "rape" who worships "Lucifer Satan, the Devil" or LSD)), so feel free to add some comedic value. Also, all the players are either neutral or evil.

On a side note, before starting this session, we had the misconception that you gained HP was 10+HD+CON, similar to AC. I found out that it was otherwise, and I told my players, but they started to bitch about it and say that they would be UP and weak and that everyone would kill them. I know that the DM's word is law, but I don't want to play with a group of whiny players. How much should I adjust the average AC of the monsters they fight to make up for the 10 extra HP?

Physics_Rook
2011-04-23, 03:32 AM
I've currently just started a campaign with a group of friends, and I need some interesting personalities to populate the world with.

Well TV Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) can be a good source for neat ideas, and-

We aren't too serious (one of our players is playing as a stoner and a rapist (a rogue with "sneak attack" renamed "rape" who worships "Lucifer Satan, the Devil" or LSD)), so feel free to add some comedic value. Also, all the players are either neutral or evil.

... no comment.:smalleek:

You could have the party be hired by monsters who want to get the cliche villain experience, but are too wussy to do it themselves. The players could set up a sort of villain service provider for badguys. Maybe a dragon wants to know what it's like to kidnap a damsel and put her distress. Perhaps an evil cultist wants to lead a zombie horde but doesn't have the guts to go and get (or make) fresh bodies (an necromancer with a weak stomach:smallbiggrin:).

On a side note, before starting this session, we had the misconception that you gained HP was 10+HD+CON, similar to AC. I found out that it was otherwise, and I told my players, but they started to bitch about it and say that they would be UP and weak and that everyone would kill them. I know that the DM's word is law, but I don't want to play with a group of whiny players. How much should I adjust the average AC of the monsters they fight to make up for the 10 extra HP?

I recomend not worrying about it at all. 10 extra hitpoints isn't going to be noticable at higher levels, and at lower levels it keeps the PCs from being slain by things like parakeets, housecats, and strong langauge. :smallsmile:

Could you tell us a little bit more about what sort of sourcebooks you and you're players have access to (Complete series, ToB, Psionics, ect)?
What level they're starting at (1st, 15th, 20th?)
What sort place is your world (is it all grimdark and shadowbad, my little ponies, LotR, something else?)
Maybe a little more info on what sort of things you already have planned for them.

SlashRunner
2011-04-23, 10:09 AM
Well TV Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) can be a good source for neat ideas, and-

... no comment.:smalleek:

You could have the party be hired by monsters who want to get the cliche villain experience, but are too wussy to do it themselves. The players could set up a sort of villain service provider for badguys. Maybe a dragon wants to know what it's like to kidnap a damsel and put her distress. Perhaps an evil cultist wants to lead a zombie horde but doesn't have the guts to go and get (or make) fresh bodies (an necromancer with a weak stomach:smallbiggrin:).

I recomend not worrying about it at all. 10 extra hitpoints isn't going to be noticable at higher levels, and at lower levels it keeps the PCs from being slain by things like parakeets, housecats, and strong langauge. :smallsmile:

Could you tell us a little bit more about what sort of sourcebooks you and you're players have access to (Complete series, ToB, Psionics, ect)?
What level they're starting at (1st, 15th, 20th?)
What sort place is your world (is it all grimdark and shadowbad, my little ponies, LotR, something else?)
Maybe a little more info on what sort of things you already have planned for them.

I like that first idea. We have pretty much no sourcebooks at our disposal (we just get all our rules stuff from the SRD). We're starting at 1st level. Our world doesn't really have a theme, though I must say I'm highly partial to grimdark (wtf? My little ponies?). I actually have not much planned for them yet, since I was pretty much caught off guard by us starting a campaign, so I need to think of something. What I really want is a bunch of interesting characters, as my players are pretty creative and the game will sort of evolve from there.