PDA

View Full Version : Bloodlines Question

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-23, 10:24 AM
So, one thing I wonder about bloodlines is this: If you get 1000xp for a bloodline level at level one, how much xp does it cost you to reach second level? Is it still 1000 xp, or is it the 3000 xp needed? If 1000xp is all that's needed, then do you instantly move up to second level after taking the bloodline level? As you may have noticed, I'm rather confused.

Yora
2011-04-23, 10:44 AM
Bloodline levels are treated as levels in a class, but don't increase anything.
It's like LA that is applied later in the game and not all at once at 1st level.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-23, 10:12 PM
That I understand. What I don't get is how much XP do you need to get to the next level after taking a bloodline level? If you are a 2nd level character with a major bloodline and you take your bloodline level, then how much XP does it cost you to get to 3rd level?

Welknair
2011-04-23, 10:15 PM
;10846930']That I understand. What I don't get is how much XP do you need to get to the next level after taking a bloodline level? If you are a 2nd level character with a major bloodline and you take your bloodline level, then how much XP does it cost you to get to 3rd level?

It doesn't "Cost" any XP whatsoever. You are treated as if you had leveled up and put a level in a class. You just don't gain any benefits from that level up. No HP increase, no feats, no skill points (Not even an increase to max skill points). As said, it's effectively an LA applied mid-way through your progression.

So when you'd usually get to third level, you don't. When you would reach fourth, you instead get your third class level. In effect, you sacrifice a level in order to continue getting your bloodline abilities.

Douglas
2011-04-23, 10:24 PM
For purposes of XP, a bloodline level is treated exactly as if it were, in fact, an actual level in every way.

If you are a level 2 character with one bloodline level, then you are treated XP-wise as a level 3 character and will gain your next level when a non-bloodline character would be reaching level 4.

This is exactly the way level adjustment works.

Essence_of_War
2011-04-23, 10:31 PM
Follow-up question.

As far as I can tell, the intent of bloodlines is to increase your ECL while not increasing class level. However, it never actually spells out in the SRD that this is what happens.

Did I miss where it says this, or is there a subtlety to this that I'm missing that explains why it does not say this?

Welknair
2011-04-23, 10:49 PM
Follow-up question.

As far as I can tell, the intent of bloodlines is to increase your ECL while not increasing class level. However, it never actually spells out in the SRD that this is what happens.

Did I miss where it says this, or is there a subtlety to this that I'm missing that explains why it does not say this?

Well, you have to take a "Bloodline Level", which indeed increases your ECL while not increasing your class levels.

Fun fact: I didn't know that this was included in the SRD.

Yora
2011-04-24, 05:42 AM
Here it is: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

A bloodline level grants no increase in base attack bonus or base save bonuses, no hit points or skill points, and no class features. It counts as a normal class level (with no class skills) for the purpose of determining maximum skill ranks. Levels of bloodline never result in XP penalties for multiclass characters.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-24, 10:17 AM
Thanks everybody, I think I under stand a lot better now.
I have one more question though, the SRD says that "Class levels of "bloodline" do not increase a character's character level the way a normal class level does, but they do provide certain benefits." From this line I have taken that bloodlines levels do not in fact increase your ECL. Is this true?

Yora
2011-04-24, 10:36 AM
No, they just don't increase your Hit Dice and annything tied to that, except maximum Skill Ranks.
As a fighter 8/bloodline 2, you're the same as a fighter 8 with LA +2. Plus the increased Skill Rank cap.

Glarx
2011-04-24, 11:36 AM
But do bloodline levels increase 'character level' in regards to leadership scores?

I'm aware of the Hellfire Warlock abuse re: bloodline levels, but as people are wont to just say 'leadership = broken' and end their statements there, I've been unable to make a concrete opinion regarding whether the bloodline levels affect leadership.

Coidzor
2011-04-24, 11:41 AM
But do bloodline levels increase 'character level' in regards to leadership scores?

It seems to have basically no stance on the issue as far as I've ever been able to read, so it's basically up to individual preference. Of course, I might've missed something crucial.

Glarx
2011-04-24, 11:47 AM
Include the character's bloodline level when calculating any character ability based on his class levels (such as caster level for spellcasting characters, or save DCs for characters with special abilities whose DCs are based on class level).

A character’s base Leadership score equals his level plus any Charisma modifier.

That was where I was making my inference, but I wanted to see what the fine minds of this community had to add. The bloodline adding to 'his class level' and the leadership taking 'his level' may be ambiguous enough to be denied. I was just curious.

Yora
2011-04-24, 01:10 PM
Most of Unearthed Arcana is actually only 90% finished. It's working, but usually you have to decide a few important things all by yourself.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-04-24, 01:40 PM
No, they just don't increase your Hit Dice and annything tied to that, except maximum Skill Ranks.
As a fighter 8/bloodline 2, you're the same as a fighter 8 with LA +2. Plus the increased Skill Rank cap.

Okay, thanks.

Bang!
2011-04-24, 03:13 PM
There are a lot of interpretations for the Bloodline mechanics. You can find another, including responses to most of the questions here, and some character-building uses for the mechanics here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7167.0).

Aspenor
2011-04-24, 03:25 PM
I already pointed out why bloodlines do not increase ECL. Therefore, since you are still a level 1 character with a bloodline level, you still need only 1k xp to get to level 2.