PDA

View Full Version : Being a Scary Hexblade!

Lilithgow
2011-04-23, 05:18 PM
So, I've got a hexblade/Avenging executioner character, and I went a little bit fear orientated - it made a change and worked well with the hexblade's whole 'minus to saves' shtick.

But I'm worried that soon I'll find some undead or some paladins or something, and I'll end up as a very squishy, very average fighter.

Now, I know that having a single trick (in this case, being scary) is a bad strategy - and it isn't my only trick, it just happens to be my best one.

So, I had a look around, and I found Dread Witch from Heroes of Horror - and I was having a look at the delightful 'greater master of terror' thing - and found that they can scare enemies immune to fear.

Problem is that it only works on my spells - which I wasn't really looking at. So, what I'm looking for is being scary enough to scare those immune to fear - is there anything out there for that? A feat like blistering spell, perhaps? If you can overcome fire immunity, surely I can overcome a little thing like a Paladin being pretty hard to scare?

true_shinken
2011-04-23, 09:15 PM
Dread Witch ignores immunity to fear.
Immunity to mind-affecting spells and effects is a different game, though.

gorfnab
2011-04-24, 12:04 AM
Well here are two handbooks that may help.
Hexblade's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0)
The Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)

Zaq
2011-04-24, 03:30 AM
Dread Witch ignores immunity to fear.
Immunity to mind-affecting spells and effects is a different game, though.

Not quite. As the OP said, Greater Master of Terror only applies to spells you cast, and there's a HD limit based on your CL. If you happen to be, say, a fear-based Sorcerer, it's very easy to think of GMoT as "ignores immunity to fear," but it's actually much more specific in what it does and doesn't do.

Lilithgow
2011-04-24, 04:24 PM
Oh, thank you very much indeed! That fear handbook has provided me with some hilarious shenanigans that I'll be taking up for sure!