PDA

View Full Version : D&D to MTG help

Elkat
2011-04-23, 08:08 PM
One of my friends and I have decided to create our own Magic cards for the heck of it, with going to base the cards off a webcomic I want to write while my friend (less talented in the artistic and creative areas, but uses 3.5 as his play thing) plans on using D&D as his medium. He has planned out what the base classes for his planeswalker will be, but was wandering if there was a better class than the Horizon Walker to represent the planeswalker status as well planeswalker? I might follow up and try to work a Campaign Setting of my webcomic (when I find the time to start writing it) and could benefit it (though the deciding the planeswalker thing is the last of my own concerns). Any help would be appreciated.

IthroZada
2011-04-23, 09:07 PM
Planar Shepherd might work. I don't how different that is from Garruk Wildshaper, even though he looks like he has some Barbarian levels.

Edit: There is also a group in Eberron called Edgewalkers, from Secrets of Sarlona, that fight other worldly terrors. A lot of their make up are psychic warriors.

I think Eberron and the Planar Handbook would have the most help with stuff dealing with conflicts across several planes.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-24, 05:52 PM
Aren't the planeswalkers just really epic, god-like magic users?

AslanCross
2011-04-24, 06:18 PM
Aren't the planeswalkers just really epic, god-like magic users?

They used to be, until 90% of them got turned into cards. The only really epic ones now are represented by the players. :smallannoyed: /rant Some would argue of course, that by flavor, the first Planeswalker card was released way back in 1994. Dakkon Blackblade from Legends is supposed to have been a Planeswalker.

I'd go with Planar Shepherd. Seriously, I'd think Planeswalkers would at LEAST be 10th level casters so they can reliably cast Plane Shift.

Also, they should have a divine spark of some sort. M:tG fluff has always treated being a planeswalker as a sort of divine thing, using wording like "her planeswalker spark awoke when she died" and things like that.

IthroZada
2011-04-24, 06:24 PM
Well, anyone who has the spark can Planeswalk, they just generally become super powerful wizards afterward by gathering power from all the places they travel. Like, they have some Paladin chick who fought in an arena for a while, who is obviously nowhere near as powerful as the guy who made the giant metal world powered by a giant pure mana core.

Greenish
2011-04-24, 06:40 PM
Aren't the planeswalkers just really epic, god-like magic users?So, Planar Shepherd? :smalltongue:

Lateral
2011-04-24, 06:43 PM
Meh, Planar Shepherds are always linked to one plane, whereas the thing about Planeswalkers is that they're not bound to any plane.

Drglenn
2011-04-24, 07:21 PM
You guys may be overcomplicating this: Wizard has all the abilities you need. Including their hallmark abilities: Plane shift and summon monster.

There is a reason that the players in MTG games are described as 'dueling wizards' :smalltongue:

Lateral
2011-04-24, 07:44 PM
I always thought that was shameless egotism and unconscious self-promotion on the part of WotC.