PDA

View Full Version : Warforged War Hulk?

RaggedAngel
2011-04-23, 09:11 PM
I'm building a character for the Tower of Deadly Evil, which is a level 15 gestalt high OP game here on the OotS forum.

I want to make a Warforged War Hulk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a)//Lion-Totum Barbarian/Warforged Juggernaut/Frenzied Barbarian, because that's the kind of thing you can't play in normal games. It's 40 point buy, so he'll start out with an 18 in Str and a 20 in Con and go from there.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any Template I can apply to a Warforged to make him large? Many templates like Half-Minotaur don't apply because Warforged are Living Constructs instead of Humanoids. He has 5 levels he can spend on templates on one side of his gestalt, so go nuts.

2. Will the Lion-Totum Barbarian's Pounce ability work with Adamantine Plating, which counts as heavy armor?

3. He'll have a charging focus, obviously; am I missing anything from the Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper charging feat chain?

I thank you in advance for helping me make a character with a disgusting Str.

Greenish
2011-04-23, 10:09 PM
2. Pounce, unlike the Fast Movement it replaces, doesn't care about armour.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-23, 10:28 PM
3. Nope. You've got all the basic pieces.

Veyr
2011-04-23, 10:31 PM
Leap Attack and Battle Jump would be appropriate and will add stupid amounts of extra damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 07:28 AM
Leap Attack and Battle Jump would be appropriate and will add stupid amounts of extra damage.

Ooh, I haven't heard of Battle Jump. Where's it from?

And, yeah, the damage will be stupid. I have enough room in the build for 9 levels of Frenzied Berserker, all 5 of Warforged Juggernaut, and 6 of War Hulk, so he'll be hitting for disgusting amounts of damage. War Hulk has no BAB progression for a reason.

Jarian
2011-04-24, 07:31 AM

Unapproachable East, IIRC.

Fall 10 feet, get a charge attack for free.

Pause.

Rewind.

...charge attack for free.

Yes. Things that can be broken by hitting them with a stick will be broken by doing this.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 07:33 AM
Unapproachable East, IIRC.

Fall 10 feet, get a charge attack for free.

Pause.

Rewind.

...charge attack for free.

Yes. Things that can be broken by hitting them with a stick will be broken by doing this.

So, if I happen to have a stupidly high Str for some reason *coughWarHulkcough* and I can jump 10' straight up every round... free charges forever?

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-24, 07:36 AM
Warforged war hulk?

Maybe you should take a level of warmage and be a GOD OF WAR!

Morph Bark
2011-04-24, 07:41 AM
Warforged war hulk?

Lacks Warlock and Warblade.

And, yeah, the damage will be stupid. I have enough room in the build for 9 levels of Frenzied Berserker, all 5 of Warforged Juggernaut, and 6 of War Hulk, so he'll be hitting for disgusting amounts of damage. War Hulk has no BAB progression for a reason.

You sure you're allowed to take two PrCs at once though? Standard Gestalt rules say "no" to that.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-24, 07:43 AM
Warforged war hulk?

Additional levels in warlock and warblade.
You would also have to ride a war horse, and wield a waraxe. And I think that you could no longer sing, and would instead be forced to warble.

Veyr
2011-04-24, 08:32 AM
You sure you're allowed to take two PrCs at once though? Standard Gestalt rules say "no" to that.
Now that is the most idiotic rule in gestalt.

Additional levels in warlock and warblade.
You would also have to ride a war horse, and wield a waraxe. And I think that you could no longer sing, and would instead be forced to warble.
Still needs War Weaver, and War Mage (which is totally different from Warmage). Warchanter and War Shaper, too...

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 08:35 AM
Lacks Warlock and Warblade.
I'm thinking of giving him a few levels of Warblade, depending on how many templates he has.

:smallbiggrin: Such is the glory of the Tower of Deadly Evil.

I will reiterate that my largest problem is making him Large in the first place. Anyone know of any templates that would help?

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-24, 08:41 AM
Right, so a Warforged Warlock/Warblade/Warmage/War Hulk/War Chanter/War Shaper/War Weaver/Warrior/War Mage who warbles while wielding a waraxe on his warhorse. Maybe they could also have a pet warg.

That is lots of 'war's in the build. Any that haven't been said yet?

Edit: I added the extra suggestions in.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 08:43 AM
Right, so a Warforged Warlock/Warblade/Warmage/War Hulk who warbles while wielding a waraxe on his warhorse. Maybe they could also have a pet warg.

That is nine 'war's in the build. Any that haven't been said yet?

Yeah. I'll just give him a level of Warrior.

Then I'll watch him die, because the Tower is unforgiving.

LOTRfan
2011-04-24, 08:47 AM
I was going to suggest Warforged Charger as a race instead, since you mentioned you could spare five levels for templates, but I just realized that has an ECL of 8.

Jarian
2011-04-24, 08:52 AM
That is lots of 'war's in the build. Any that haven't been said yet?

Oversized TWF for smashing face with a war mace while still using your waraxe.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-24, 08:54 AM
Now we have a Warforged Warlock/Warblade/Warmage/War Hulk/War Chanter/War Shaper/War Weaver/Warrior/War Mage who warbles while wielding a waraxe and a war mace upon his warhorse. Maybe they could also have a pet warg.

That has 15 'war's. Yay!

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 08:57 AM
I was going to suggest Warforged Charger as a race instead, since you mentioned you could spare five levels for templates, but I just realized that has an ECL of 8.

I think I may use that, and lose some levels of War Hulk. War Hulk is mostly just in there to give him a deliciously overblown Str to help reduce his foes to a fine paste, and Warforged Charger gives a nice +10 to Str and Con.

Morph Bark
2011-04-24, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking of giving him a few levels of Warblade, depending on how many templates he has.

Adding Bloodstorm Blade and Hulking Hurler after that would make for fun times. :smallamused:

Now we have a Warforged Warlock/Warblade/Warmage/War Hulk/War Chanter/War Shaper/War Weaver/Warrior/War Mage who warbles while wielding a waraxe and a war mace upon his warhorse. Maybe they could also have a pet warg.

That has 15 'war's. Yay!

There's also War Mind and Warpriest, I believe.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-24, 10:02 AM
There's also War Mind and Warpriest, I believe.

Capital! 17 and counting.

Maybe this should have a thread of its own.

chainer1216
2011-04-24, 11:04 AM
Capital! 17 and counting.

Maybe this should have a thread of its own.

dont forget the ever popular "waristocrat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8UldMTTDJ4

at about 4:20 into the video

Kaje
2011-04-24, 01:06 PM
And name him "War."

Darth Stabber
2011-04-24, 08:30 PM
No, Wario.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 08:39 PM
Gah. I'm really having a hard time finding anything with Google, so I'll repeat my plea:

Is there any template than can be applied to a Living Construct to make it Large-sized?

Darth Stabber
2011-04-24, 08:47 PM
Gah. I'm really having a hard time finding anything with Google, so I'll repeat my plea:

Is there any template than can be applied to a Living Construct to make it Large-sized?

There might not be a template for that. The problem is that construct, like undead, is at the top of the typr hierarchy, except that WotC doesn't show constructs as much love. Your best bet is likely to just suck up the extra ecl of warforged charger.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-24, 08:57 PM
Sadly, there's not a whole lot out there for constructs or warforged. There are plenty of ways for a PC to get large size, but few are available to constructs. The Expansion power along with Persistent Power (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf) from d20 Modern, or Righteous Might with DMM: Persistent, would probably be the closest thing.

As for the character, forget the charging shtick and grab Fighter 6 with the Dungeoncrasher ACF. Get TWF and Gloves of the Balanced Hand, Combat Reflexes, and EWP: Kusari-Gama (DMG p144), a light reach weapon that can hit adjacent squares. Get Improved Bull Rush and Knock-Back in Races of Stone. At War Hulk 10 every attack you make will hit every opponent within reach. With Knock-Back you can sweep everything into a corner and Dungeoncrash them against the wall. If anything tries to escape your wrath your AoO will hit everything within reach, slamming them into the corner yet again. Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) is also highly recommended, since technically your extra attack from Improved Trip should also hit everything within reach. A big guy wielding blades at the end of chains, sweeping them through a crowd of enemies and slamming them all back into the wall...

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 09:14 PM
There might not be a template for that. The problem is that construct, like undead, is at the top of the typr hierarchy, except that WotC doesn't show constructs as much love. Your best bet is likely to just suck up the extra ecl of warforged charger.

Warforged Charger it is, then.

I would go with a fancy tripping build, but I don't trust the Tower of Deadly Evil to have trippable things. Damage is more universal then tripping, and a Warforged Charger War Hulk Frenzied Berserker speaks the language of pain with a perfect accent.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-24, 09:16 PM
Stoneblessed3 lets you take the Goliath ACF Mountainous Rage, which flat declares you Large size when you rage. It's one of the tricks I used in my Incredible Hulk build, which starts off as a Halfling with a Strength of 6, and ends up a Large abomination with a Strength of 42...

Also, you want Warhulk 10 for Massive Swing. Basically, as an attack action, you hit EVERYONE within melee reach of you. This + spiked Chain = lots and lots of dead things all over the place.

Also, get rid of FB. The campaign is bad enough without turning yourself into a walking TPK.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-24, 09:36 PM
Sadly, there's not a whole lot out there for constructs or warforged. There are plenty of ways for a PC to get large size, but few are available to constructs. The Expansion power along with Persistent Power (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf) from d20 Modern, or Righteous Might with DMM: Persistent, would probably be the closest thing.

Was Psy-Warrior mentioned?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-24, 11:21 PM
Was Psy-Warrior mentioned?

Psy-War5/Warhulk10 on one side. With Practiced Manifester, you can use Persist Power with Expansion to get the large size needed for Warhulk. You also get other handy tools (Hustle Shuffle, for example).

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 11:36 PM
I've mostly finished the character, and here's what he does in round 1, assuming he can see/reach his foe. I'll need to select the magic items required to ensure he can and will be able to pull this off:

First-Round Full Attack on a Charge While Frenzied, each attack applies to 3 squares; use Battle Leader's Charge, make Leap Attack check, Power Attack for Full, AC 0:

Attack 1: 1d20+45
Damage 1: 3d6+110 + 3d6

Attack 2: 1d20+45
Damage 2: 3d6+110 + 3d6

Attack 3: 1d20+40
Damage 3: 3d6+110 + 3d6

Attack 4: 1d20+35
Damage 4: 3d6+110 + 3d6

Here's his almost finished sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=293045)

IthroZada
2011-04-24, 11:44 PM
Well... make sure that you are absolutely never hit by anything that does charisma damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-24, 11:54 PM
Well... make sure that you are absolutely never hit by anything that does charisma damage.

Immune to ability damage and ability drain.

He's immune to pretty much everything but straight-up damage, except for odd things like "I Gate him to Hades."

IthroZada
2011-04-24, 11:59 PM
Immune to ability damage and ability drain.

He's immune to pretty much everything but straight-up damage, except for odd things like "I Gate him to Hades."

Oh right, Juggernaut. Carry on then.

JaronK
2011-04-25, 12:11 AM
Silly thought... the Shadow template makes anything a Magical Beast, and I think can be applied to a Living Construct (not sure, look it up). Can Half Minotaur be applied to a Magical Beast?

Then again, losing Living Construct could be a whole other issue.

Anyway, what about a custom item of permanent Expansion?

JaronK

RaggedAngel
2011-04-25, 01:01 AM
Silly thought... the Shadow template makes anything a Magical Beast, and I think can be applied to a Living Construct (not sure, look it up). Can Half Minotaur be applied to a Magical Beast?

Where can I find the Shadow template?

Then again, losing Living Construct could be a whole other issue.

Yeah, it's a rather useful type, especially when one goes into Warforged Juggernaut.

Anyway, what about a custom item of permanent Expansion?

While The Tower of Deadly Evil does allow a bit of custom items/ homebrew, I'd rather see if I can make the build work by RAW.

JaronK
2011-04-25, 01:34 AM
Shadow is I believe in Manual of the Planes, but it might be in Planar Handbook.

JaronK

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-25, 02:39 AM
Just say 'no' to Frenzied Berzerker. Tower is unforgiving enough without turning you into a walking TPK. Besides, it's completely unnecessary anyways. Between the extra strength and a Valorous weapon you will come out ahead for damage on a charge. This frees up 8 levels to play with. Therefore, we run something like this:

Warforged ChargerHD4/LA4/War Hulk7//Lion Totem Barbarian5/War Hulk3/Warforged Juggernaut5/Crusader2

This nets you:

+15 BAB (unless you are doing fractional BAB and rounding down, in which case it is +14)
+20 Str (on top of everything else), vs your +8 for a net bonus of +12, which translates into a +6 modifier, x 1.5 is an additional 9 damage per swing, before multipliers, plus more than makes up the theoretically possible loss of a single BAB.
Make an attack against *EVERY OPPONENT IN REACH* as an ATTACK ACTION.
Crusader gives you a stance. Either get the one that heals 2 damage every time you hit something (wade into mooks and come out more healed than when you came in)

Now instead of using that white raven blade, you can do the following with a spiked chain

+1 Valorious Spiked Chain (talk with the resident caster to see if you can get a 3rd level Pearl of Power in exchange for a GMW every day to boost this to +5)

Assuming no GMW and least favorable BAB calculation
Basic attack: 3d6 + 35
Total attack bonus +38/+33/+28

Now then, on a charge, with Battle Leader's Charge, since you no longer need a toy to do it, you will be doing, to every opponent within 30' of you:

(2d6+45)*4 (doubled because of 2h on charge, increased to triple due to Leap Attack, then up to quadruple from Valorous enhancement) = (2d6)* 4 + 180.

WITH a GMW on, you're going to be doing almost 200 in bonus damage, much less the actual weapon itself, and attack bonuses go up to +50 on a charge.

Significantly more than you were doing. And to more opponents. And no chance of TPK. And auto-healing (which is NOT a Conjuration (healing) effect, and so fully affects you).

herrhauptmann
2011-04-25, 05:02 PM
Shadow is I believe in Manual of the Planes, but it might be in Planar Handbook.

JaronK

I do believe Dark Template from Tome of Magic is considered superior to both Shadow template, and FRCS's Shade template. But there's also (Teflammar) Shadowlord from Shining south.

Shneekey, which maneuver/stance is granting that free healing? I assume it's one that heals when you deal damage, but no idea.