PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Warblade Build (Help)

Miffed Sheep
2011-04-24, 11:07 AM
I love monks. I love them will all my might. They're my favorite class in AD&D 3.5. Why? Because the idea of flipping out and killing someone with your fists is awesome to me. I grew up watching movies like Drunken Master, Way of the Dragon, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, etc. One thing I never liked was the lack of signature moves or bits such as that. You know? Then I came upon the Tome of Battle. I love this book, yet I'm unable to really grasp its potential when it comes to choosing Maneuvers and the such, so I need a hand. I'm thinking of putting in feats like Battle Jumper to make my Tiger Claw maneuvers, for the most part, count as charges as well and some other feats to augment charges.

I'm looking to make an unarmed Warblade/Swordsage that focuses on Stone Dragon maneuvers for a campaign in the near future.
The setup is 32 point build, ECL 9, low/no-magic, and no starting gold. (Items will be distributed, like the Mithral Chain Shirt.)
I've got this so far:

Iryll Ferra (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=293054)
Male Human Warblade/Swordsage, Level 5/4, Init +10, HP 50/50, Speed 40ft
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus +8/+3
Unarmed Strike +11/+6 (2d6+3, 20/x2)
Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Misc)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 8
Condition None
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Sunder, Adaptive Style, Power Attack, Defensive Metered Foot, Improved Initiative
Class Abilities: Battle Clarity, Uncanny Dodge, Battle Ardor, Quick to Act, Stone Dragon (Weapon Focus, Insightful Strike), Swordsage AC Bonus
Traits: Aggressive, Quick
Flaws: Murky-Eyed, Shaky

I need some help with picking maneuvers and generally shaping it up some. Any help would be really appreciated.

Lateral
2011-04-24, 11:13 AM
Why warblade/swordsage? Straight swordsage advances unarmed strikes more. You are using unarmed swordsage, right?

Ursus the Grim
2011-04-24, 11:25 AM
I've got a few thoughts, but first I've got a question.

Why did you choose to cross-class Warblade with Swordsage?

Those 5 levels give you
Bonus Feat
Intelligence to Confirm Crits
Uncanny Dodge
Weapon Aptitude
Intelligence to Reflex
Good BaB
Good Fort
Good HP

That Int buff is really only useful if you've got an expanded crit range.
Weapon aptitude I can't see being terribly helpful either, I don't see any feats it would apply to, and you are pretty much only unarmed.
Switching to SwordSage would more than make up for losing the Int bonus to Reflex.

So the only good things I can really see here are the bonus feat, uncanny dodge, and the base attack bonus. Uncanny dodge is of limited use, too, unless you're tanking.

If you instead went full Swordsage, you'd get
+2 Initiative
At-Will Identify
+2 to all saves while in your favored tance
Evasion
Good Reflex and Will saves

Moving from Warblade would loosen your reliance on Intelligence. You could put that 14 into Constitution, giving you two more points into Fortitude and about 18 more hit points to make up for losing the d12.
If you pick a decent stance, you'll pretty much perpetually have a +2 bonus to all Saves, completely negating the loss of the Int bonus to Reflex, even before the Sage's better saves come in. Evasion is more useful than Uncanny Dodge, IMO. Sense Magic also has its multiple uses depending on your DM.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the damage progression.

Miffed Sheep
2011-04-24, 11:37 AM
I cross classed the two for great access to stances, the ability to refresh my entire maneuver list with a flourish or full action followed by flourish, increased BAB, and access to White Raven and Iron heart for a bit of utility when needed. And I'm using the regular Swordsage progression opposed to unarmed for greater AC by allowing light armor and still getting Wis to AC.

Edit: And the focus is on the maneuvers available. Being able to bounce around with Sudden Leap, Counter bits like Feigned Opening and Zephyr Dance, and a great assortment of strikes such as Elder Mountain Hammer, Death from Above, Strike of the Broken Shield. To be honest, I could do without the unarmed damage feats and replace them with utility bits.

Greenish
2011-04-24, 02:14 PM
I cross classed the two for great access to stances, the ability to refresh my entire maneuver list with a flourish or full action followed by flourish, increased BAB, and access to White Raven and Iron heart for a bit of utility when needed.Swordsage and warblade maneuvers are refreshed (and tracked) separately.

Also, why 5 in warblade? The IL is halved and rounded down, so you'd want an even number of levels prior an initiator.

And I'm using the regular Swordsage progression opposed to unarmed for greater AC by allowing light armor and still getting Wis to AC.Unarmed swordsage gets wis to AC in light armour.

Lateral
2011-04-24, 03:06 PM
You only lose proficiency with light armor as an unarmed SS, not Wis to AC in it, and maneuvers are tracked separately. There's very little reason for you to go Warblade 5/ SS 4 instead of just USS 9- when you're generally only making one attack, 3/4 BAB doesn't hurt that much, and the maneuvers that the 5-level dip gets you grow stale pretty fast. The stances are nice, but you only get two.