PDA

View Full Version : Stopping a flying/jumping charge

Hirax
2011-04-24, 03:36 PM
I'm a winged dragonborn (rest of build still very tentative) and I'll be taking battle jump, leap attack, and shock trooper, along with other usual charger theatrics. I'll be able to hit jump checks of 40 easily (+10 racial due to wings, +10 competence, +10 str mod (probably more), and 8 ranks in jump required for battle jump), so grease and other such earthly obstacles aren't a concern to me. I'm aware I'm still staggeringly vulnerable to readied spells (wall of ouch, celerity, etc), I'm mostly curious if there are any new countermeasures that might now be used against me since my charges will be of the death from above variety.

edit: emphasis added to last sentence

Greenish
2011-04-24, 03:40 PM
Battle Jump doesn't work if you have slow fall or flight speed, so a wing aspect dragonborn would get no benefit from it.

Steadfast Boots and a reach weapon would make you feel that charge in the morning. Slap in Hold the Line and Combat Reflexes.

You charge someone. They get a free attack that deals double damage (vs. your shock trooper'ed away AC), then an AoO for you entering their reach while charging, then another AoO for you leaving a space they threaten (assuming you don't have a reach weapon yourself).

Or they could have that ToB feat to turn those AoOs to 5' steps to avoid you altogether.

Hirax
2011-04-24, 03:44 PM
Battle Jump doesn't work if you have slow fall or flight speed, so a wing aspect dragonborn would get no benefit from it.

I don't see anything in the feat description implying that, it says that if you're magically flying (fly and levitate spells), then you can't do it.

Greenish
2011-04-24, 03:47 PM
I don't see anything in the feat description implying that, it says that if you're magically flying (fly and levitate spells), then you can't do it.
You can't jump from more than 30 feet above your opponent, nor can you effectively battle jump while under the influence of a fly or levitate spell or effect, as you have to hurl yourself down on your foe.Dragonborn have auto-slow fall and get flight. That hardly seems to be "hurling down".

Hirax
2011-04-24, 03:51 PM
Dragonborn have auto-slow fall and get flight. That hardly seems to be "hurling down".

The only thing I'm reading that comes close to an auto-slow fall only kicks in when a dragonborn is unconscious?

Lateral
2011-04-24, 03:54 PM
The RAW is ambiguous, due to the use of the word 'effect'. Personally, I'd allow it since what it's doing would probably work better with wings (unlike some magical effects), but YMMV.

Greenish
2011-04-24, 04:04 PM
Hmm, yeah, I've always read that as "if you can control your fall, no Jump for you", but I could see it being read differently.

If it works, it works. :smalltongue:

Hirax
2011-04-24, 04:37 PM
I think the purpose of the word effect is to rope in things such as psionics, that are spells that aren't called spells for the purposes of this and other things.

Curmudgeon
2011-04-24, 04:45 PM
You can't use the Jump skill while flying, as that makes it impossible to push off from something; it's inherent in the definition of the word. Jump requires a surface to push off from, just as Swim requires fluid water. If you're just planning on flying to the ground where you'll Jump from, I guess that could work if your DM isn't too stringent about the "directly toward the designated opponent" charge requirement. (Flying just brushing the ground?)

Lateral
2011-04-24, 04:47 PM
He's not flying, he's using the wings for a bonus to Jump.

Hirax
2011-04-24, 04:50 PM
You can't use the Jump skill while flying, as that makes it impossible to push off from something; it's inherent in the definition of the word. Jump requires a surface to push off from, just as Swim requires fluid water. If you're just planning on flying to the ground where you'll Jump from, I guess that could work if your DM isn't too stringent about the "directly toward the designated opponent" charge requirement. (Flying just brushing the ground?)

Right, the plan was to start on the ground, especially since I won't have enough HD (to start with) to fly without getting fatigued. I probably won't really be using my wings for anything other than jump checks for a while. I haven't seen anybody else's characters yet, but unless everyone picks a flier, I imagine we'll be on the ground mostly. Though come to think of it, 3/4 of the other players are going to be casters, so it's very possible that we could become mostly airborne.