PDA

View Full Version : Forcing enemies into a square

tuesdayscoming
2011-04-24, 06:19 PM
I'm playing a Combat Trapsmith in a game right now, and am actually REALLY enjoying it. It's not the most overpowered thing in the world, but it actually really works well within the group.

One thing I'd really like to be able to do, though, would be to force enemies into my traps more effectively. The first thing that sprang to mind was using UMD for spells such as Baleful Transposition or Transposition Trick. The issue would be that all of these types of spells (that I'm aware of) allow for saves, and wands have TERRIBLE save DCs.

Are there any other tricks you can think of that would reliably allow me to either trade places with an opponent or otherwise force them into a given (trapped) square?

As is, Im an anthropomorphic monkey Factotum 5 / Combat Trapsmith 5. We are fighting almost exclusively aberrations in this campaign.

Kantolin
2011-04-24, 06:25 PM
This is probably overpriced and insufficient, as most DMG items are, but the ring of the ram (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#ram), perhaps?

I've always wanted to play a combat trapsmith ^_^

Greenish
2011-04-24, 06:30 PM
Take Leadership and get a cohort with Fling Enemy? :smalltongue:

Ernir
2011-04-24, 06:53 PM
You could buy Slippers of the Setting Sun (Tome of Battle) to learn one of the "throw" manuevers. I don't know what your strength looks like (anthroape?), but at least you're getting your intelligence modifier on the checks.

The Clever Positioning maneuver could work as well..

EDIT: This might work better if you have a teammate who has juiced up his strength. But then, plain old bull rushes might work too.

Gabe the Bard
2011-04-24, 07:58 PM
You could use illusions to lure your enemies into a trapped square. Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon) is a swift action 1st-level spell that creates a couple of illusions of yourself that last for 1 round. You could move them into the squares behind your traps and try to lure in the enemy melee attackers.

Mutazoia
2011-04-24, 10:59 PM
you should definitely do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQGSsI87kA)

gallagher
2011-04-24, 11:06 PM
you, sir, have the perfect opportunity to play a bullfighter

Hirax
2011-04-24, 11:33 PM
Depending on your build you (or an ally) could use 2 feats to simply whallop people into traps, off cliffs, into allies, etc. Knockback (Races of Stone) allows you to send people flying straight backwards after power attacking, and shock trooper (Complete Warrior) allows you to send someone one square to the left or right for every square you send them backward