PDA

View Full Version : Just Checking

vagrant
2011-04-24, 08:08 PM
i am new to the forums but i have been playing dnd for some time now mainly 3.5. And wanted to see if i could do anything better with my character to see if anything could be made better. The idea of my character is to be a sorta of bounty hunter with a high Crit range.

Basic Statistical Information
Strength 18 (+4) Base Attack Bonus 5 ˙ Melee 9 ˙ Range 8 ˙ Touch: 7 Int: 9
Dexterity 16 (+3) Fortitude 3(2)5 ˙ Reflex 3(3)6 ˙ Will 1(1)2
Constitution 15 (+2) Hit Points 33 Deity: Hextor
Intelligence 16 (+3) Base Movement 30 ˙ Run 60 ˙ AC 10+6+3=19
Wisdom 12 (+1) Height 6’0 ˙ Weight 196lbs ˙ Size Med ˙ Sex Male
Charisma 15 (+2) Skin White ˙ Hair Brown ˙ Eyes Blue ˙ Alignment: LE
Class: 5 Rogue: 1 Fighter: 3 Dread Commando: 1 Disciple of Dispater: 0 Race: Human

Short Sword Masterwork 1d6 +4 Crit:19-20/x2

Scimitar Masterwork 1d6 +4 Crit: 18-20/x2

Kytir’s Extraordinary Feats & Talents

Fighter Specials: Armor/Shields Proficient: All Proficient Weapons: All
Rogue: Sneak Attack 1D6, Trap-finding
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Init., Two weapon Fighting

Equipment
Scimitar MW (4) lbs.
Short sword MW (2) lbs.
1 Longbow 3lbs MW
100 arrows 15lbs
Reinforced Mithril Chainmail (20) lbs.
Clothing (0) lbs.
Bed Roll (5) lbs.
Food (0) lbs.
Flint & Tender (0) lbs.
Artisan’s tools MW (5) lbs.
Thief’s Tools (1) lbs.

Gold 1535 Silver Copper

Greenish
2011-04-24, 08:10 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Bang!
2011-04-24, 08:44 PM
Those stats are ridiculous.

If you're doing the level of minmaxing you need to do to legally get into Dread Commando at level 4, I get the feeling you wouldn't be using Dread Commando. You might want to double-check those prerequisites.

I think you'd be interested by the Swordsage and Warblade classes from Tome of Battle, as well as the Blood in the Water stance from the same book. Or by the Swift Hunter feat in Complete Scoundrel.

Telonius
2011-04-24, 09:25 PM
As far as I know, Dread Commando has a prereq of +5 BAB. That means it is pretty much impossible to get into before level 6. Just can't be done. At Rog1/Ftr3, your BAB is only going to be +3.

Ranger would probably be a better entry for Dread Commando, since it has the same BAB as fighters, with more skill points and less need for that level of Rogue.

Curmudgeon
2011-04-24, 10:29 PM
Since you're making a 3.5 character, you should know that

Disciple of Dispater is a 3.0 prestige class. Iron Power in that class refers only to the 3.0 version of Improved Critical.
The 3.5 Improved Critical feat won't stack with Iron Power or anything else, because that's a core restriction of the 3.5 rules.
All 3.0 material needs at least "minor adjustments" before it can be used in a 3.5 game, as per page 4 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide.
There's a rule which says how this adjustment gets made:
Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

vagrant
2011-04-25, 01:12 AM
ok for the reference of getting into dread commando it was a rule our dm gave us that if u would get the pre reqs from that level up in the prestige class. for the prestige class, say at level 5 then u can take it so since i needed a bab of 5 and first level dread gave me a +1 bab i was able to take it and that stats were configured by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest.

staying as a fighter for my 4th level was just because not to gain anything but the +1 bab.

and yes i must talk to my buddy cause he was helping me with my toon and told me that the rogue got the +1 bab at first level and i never checked it so now i have to talk to them a bit and get all of this fixed sorry

Doc Roc
2011-04-25, 12:48 PM
ok for the reference of getting into dread commando it was a rule our dm gave us that if u would get the pre reqs from that level up in the prestige class. for the prestige class, say at level 5 then u can take it so since i needed a bab of 5 and first level dread gave me a +1 bab i was able to take it and that stats were configured by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest.

staying as a fighter for my 4th level was just because not to gain anything but the +1 bab.

and yes i must talk to my buddy cause he was helping me with my toon and told me that the rogue got the +1 bab at first level and i never checked it so now i have to talk to them a bit and get all of this fixed sorry

I'm going to second the recommendation that you take a look at warblade, and that if you don't....

Well, I'd like a list of the books you can use.

Keld Denar
2011-04-25, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Need moar infoz.

How much of the character can you change? What books do you have access to? How attached are you to the TWFing concept? To the rogue level?

The more you put into this exercise, the more you get out.

vagrant
2011-04-25, 05:18 PM
i looked at the warblade i a little bit but not a whole lot i am allowed to use pretty much any dnd3.5 book and any dnd 3.0 book unless it is conflicting in some way two weapon fighting isnt a big concern and the main reason for the rogue level was for skills