PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Weapon Effects

herrhauptmann
2011-04-24, 09:57 PM
Working on a character for Tower of Deadly Evil.

Character is a Combination of Mancer (homebrew Class)/Warblade // Wizard/Swiftblade.

Haven't selected all the feats, but he'll have Martial Study: Devoted Spirit at teh same level he takes his first level of warblade for Defensive Rebuke. Martial Study opens up all Devoted Spirit maneuvers and stances so long as I meet the prereqs (I think). If not, I can take Martial Stance.
If I use Defensive Rebuke, anyone I attack that turn has to attack me or take an AOO.
Mancer grants me many castings of Greater Invisibility, so I'm taking Spectral Skirmisher, if someone attacks my square, I get an AOO.
And I'll have thicket of blades, so any movement provokes an AOO.
Deft Opportunist will boost my attacks for my AOOs.

Two problems I can think of right now:
1)Not having enough AOOs. Aside from combat reflexes, how can I boost my number of AOOs per round?
2)Weapon damage is low. So I want some weapon enhancements that will affect my enemies per hit, rather than relying on HP damage.
So far I've got:

{table=Head]Name|Book|Cost|Effect|Save
Wounding |DMG|+2|1 Con damage|None
MarrowCrushing |BoVD|+3|1 Con Damage|None
Enfeebling|BoED|+1|crit, 1d6+2 Temp Str Damage|None
Paralyzing|BoED|+2|Paralyzed up to 10 rounds|Will 17
Roaring|BoED|+3|Shaken, 2d6 sonic|Will 22
Nervewrack|D.Und|+1|On Crit Many effects1d4 rounds|None
Subjugating|Heroes of Battle|+2|Shaken/Frightened 5 rounds|Will 20
Doom Burst|Mini|+1|Crit, shaken 5minutes|None
Paralytic Burst|Mini|+2|Crit, Hold Monster|None
Weakening|Shining South|+3|1 Str Damage|None
Lifedrinker weapon|DMG/SRD|38k|2 negative levels, 1 negative level on user|Fort 16, next day.
Sudden Stunning|DMG2|2000|Swift action, 1d4+1 rounds|Ref: 10+ 1/2 level+User Cha mod
CurseSpewing|BoVD|+1|On hit:-4 morale to attack, saves, ability checks, skill checks|Will DC15
[/table]
Does anyone have a list of good ones for this character? (High dex, high int)

Greenish
2011-04-24, 10:09 PM
Haven't selected all the feats, but he'll have Martial Study: Devoted Spirit at teh same level he takes his first level of warblade for Defensive Rebuke. Martial Study opens up all Devoted Spirit maneuvers and stances so long as I meet the prereqs (I think).It doesn't.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-25, 01:23 PM
It doesn't.
Thank you for that brief statement. Anything about actually fixing the assumption? Or about the questions I actually asked?

Greenish
2011-04-25, 01:33 PM
Thank you for that brief statement.You're welcome.
Anything about actually fixing the assumption?Being told that the schools don't work like that is not enough?

Or about the questions I actually asked?1) No way.

2) Shave off costs from improving weapons with Ancestral Relic or Mercantile Background, stack more of those. Sudden Stunning (DMGII) is pretty potent debuff for anyone with decent Cha.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-26, 01:18 AM
Followup question for this character.
Since there's no way to actually gain more AOOs per round, is there instead a way to attack with both of your held weapons on an AOO?
Like how there's two weapon pounce, a weak mans pounce that lets you use both of your weapons in an charge.

Greenish
2011-04-26, 01:54 AM
Double Hit from Miniatures Handbook does precisely that. It's surprisingly non-sucky for a TWF feat, doesn't even slap any extra penalties on it.

[Edit]: Now that I think of it, Rapid Counter maneuver from ToB can functionally give you an additional AoO. It'll use your immediate action though.

Roak Star
2011-04-26, 11:33 AM
Snap Kick from ToB gives you an additional attack pretty much every chance it gets, including on AoOs. Only problem is that its an unarmed strike, and all attacks you use it for take -2.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-26, 03:54 PM
Double Hit from Miniatures Handbook does precisely that. It's surprisingly non-sucky for a TWF feat, doesn't even slap any extra penalties on it.

[Edit]: Now that I think of it, Rapid Counter maneuver from ToB can functionally give you an additional AoO. It'll use your immediate action though.

Hmm, double hit, yeah, exactly what I was thinking of.
Rapid Counter, when that eats my immediate action, I lose the ability to take another immediate action before my next turn (like using another Immediate Action counter) right. But how does that affect my use of other quickened/swift actions in the other round like casting Haste as a swiftblade?

Snapkick might help for some builds, but this guy, he's trying to load up lots of ability penalties and damages per attack. Plus, no improved unarmed strike for this character.

When I was asking for more info about Martial Study, I was hoping for an actual explanation of where I was wrong, rather than just "You're wrong." But here's what I think I need now:

Getting Devoted spirit maneuvers stances: Lets say I take my first (and only) warblade level at 5, that gives me an IL of 3 (4/2 +1), so I can choose my stances and maneuvers from 1st and 2nd level options open to warblades. If I take Martial study at that same level, I can now choose one additional maneuver, even if it's not normally a warblade one. But still have to meet other prereqs like knowing X maneuvers of that school. But now that I've got it, I add it to my warblade list, using that recovery mechanic. For a total of 4 maneuvers known, and 1 stance.
If I instead take Martial Study at level 13 for an IL of 7(12/2 +1), I could then choose up to 4th level maneuvers. I'd like to take Defensive Rebuke with that feat, but that has a prereq of 1 D.S. maneuver, thus to take Defensive Rebuke I'd have to take Martial Study twice. Once for Defensive rebuke, and once earlier for a lower level D.S. maneuver.
And for Thicket of Blades, I take Martial Stance, which has a prereq of 1 maneuver from that school. Thicket itself only requires 1 D.S. maneuver as well, so I can take it at any time that my IL is high enough after that first Martial Study.

Greenish
2011-04-27, 03:34 PM
Hmm, double hit, yeah, exactly what I was thinking of.
Rapid Counter, when that eats my immediate action, I lose the ability to take another immediate action before my next turn (like using another Immediate Action counter) right. But how does that affect my use of other quickened/swift actions in the other round like casting Haste as a swiftblade?You can't use a swift action on the following round if you used an immediate action.

Snapkick might help for some builds, but this guy, he's trying to load up lots of ability penalties and damages per attack. Plus, no improved unarmed strike for this character.IUS can be bought, for example Fanged Ring from Dragon Magic. You can also stack all the usual weapon effects on your unarmed strikes with Necklace of Natural Weapons (from Savage Species).

When I was asking for more info about Martial Study, I was hoping for an actual explanation of where I was wrong, rather than just "You're wrong." But here's what I think I need now:Martial Study doesn't "open" a school you otherwise wouldn't have access to you.

Getting Devoted spirit maneuvers stances: Lets say I take my first (and only) warblade level at 5, that gives me an IL of 3 (4/2 +1), so I can choose my stances and maneuvers from 1st and 2nd level options open to warblades. If I take Martial study at that same level, I can now choose one additional maneuver, even if it's not normally a warblade one. But still have to meet other prereqs like knowing X maneuvers of that school. But now that I've got it, I add it to my warblade list, using that recovery mechanic. For a total of 4 maneuvers known, and 1 stance. If I instead take Martial Study at level 13 for an IL of 7(12/2 +1), I could then choose up to 4th level maneuvers. I'd like to take Defensive Rebuke with that feat, but that has a prereq of 1 D.S. maneuver, thus to take Defensive Rebuke I'd have to take Martial Study twice. Once for Defensive rebuke, and once earlier for a lower level D.S. maneuver.[/Q
And for Thicket of Blades, I take Martial Stance, which has a prereq of 1 maneuver from that school. Thicket itself only requires 1 D.S. maneuver as well, so I can take it at any time that my IL is high enough after that first Martial Study.Yes.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-27, 04:43 PM
Thanks.

IUS can be bought, for example Fanged Ring from Dragon Magic. You can also stack all the usual weapon effects on your unarmed strikes with Necklace of Natural Weapons (from Savage Species).
I know that bought items can count for feat/PrC prereqs by RAW, but I've never liked that rule, or felt comfortable as a player making use of it.
Always been afraid that the DM would have a bad guy dispel or somehow otherwise break the item.
*sunder* Whoops, there goes a feat, and the feat that relied on that one, AND the prestige class that relied on both of those. Thus, I'm now effectively a 7th level warrior-type with the HP of 15th level character. :(

Cog
2011-04-27, 04:47 PM
I know that bought items can count for feat/PrC prereqs by RAW, but I've never liked that rule, or felt comfortable as a player making use of it.
Well, so long as you don't choose a class out of, IIRC, Complete Arcane or Complete Warrior, you're fine. Those are the only ones that require you to constantly qualify for your PrCs.