PDA

View Full Version : Clerock???

Goblinoid
2011-04-24, 09:59 PM
So warlocks have at will abilities equal to sorcerers of a lower level and a per turn attack that never runs out, to me it sounds like that makes them a very specialized Sorcerer.

Now my question is using the same type of ability restrictions for making new invocations for the warlock, would it be feasible to make a warlock variant based off of the cleric instead of the sorcerer. so maybe having either a per turn heal or attack and making invocations based off the Cleric spell list...

so basically make a Clerock???

Hopefully you all can understand my mad gibbering...

Cog
2011-04-24, 10:01 PM
A Binder can already gain access to at-will healing, all-day turning attempts, and various other useful abilities.

Fable Wright
2011-04-24, 10:13 PM
At-will healing is a no-go for most DMs, but a Clerock might be feasible. Just keep the invocations at about the same level.

However, keep this in mind: Limit the versatility of the spells you give them.

And no buffing spells. Because that would just rub it in the fighter's face again.

For abilities, I would keep Eldritch Blast as-is, but reflavor it as Divine Retribution. You are channeling the powers of your god, rather than a pact made a long time ago. For the spells, try to actually pick non-buffing, non-healing spells that really only aid your character. The best option may be to make some invocations drawn from each domain rather than the base list of cleric spells; you get a more distinct feel for each clerock and their god. You only have access to the invocations of the domains of your god; it makes it easier to cover all the bases, diversifies clerocks, and makes for a more interesting class overall.

Bang!
2011-04-24, 10:21 PM
Free healing can be a bigger deal within a game than free damage because it can mean never having to take a break (depending on party composition and other rules). That's actually a good thing, IMO. Feel free homebrewing something (nothing promising jumped out through Google, so I can't help you there).

It's also easily replicated with frequent wand purchases/crafting, so it shouldn't break your game any more than a Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

Incarnum (Magic of Incarnum) and Spirit Binding (Tome of Magic) already have all-day cleric-like abilities, as well as flavor text that jibes with divine casting if you're looking for something already in print.

Darthteej
2011-04-24, 10:28 PM
Dragon Shaman attempts it, whether it worked is another matter entirely.

Anyway though, I've had vague thoughts of how to do a Heavenpact warlock. Basically, just like the shaman, it gains buffs first, and then healing. Also it can grant positive levels.

Forged Fury
2011-04-24, 10:37 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Complete Mage has the Eldritch Disciple PrC which attempts to create a hybrid warlock/cleric character. One of its class features is an ability to turn its eldritch blast into a healing blast.

Doc Roc
2011-04-25, 12:45 PM
At-will healing is a no-go for most DMs, but a Clerock might be feasible. Just keep the invocations at about the same level

I have met three (now four) GMs who felt this way, out of a vasty number. They tended to also think that fighters were useful.

Veyr
2011-04-25, 01:01 PM
As it turns out, ErrantX just posted something like that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557).