PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Sylvan Secret, huh? [3.PF]

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-25, 12:20 AM
Well, this guy I'm posting originally started out as some way to bring a creature similar to the Gen'Dai from Star Wars into good old sword and sorcery. From there the idea grew and changed to become a kind of elite mercenary shocktrooper for Droaam military companies, existing somewhere between Orcs and Trolls when it came to power and durability. As I began to stat the guys out ideas for explaining their durability flowed and ended up molding it into what it is now.

Just to say at the get go, I didn't use Blank's monster creation guide because I wanted to try my hand at homebrewing something from absolute scratch with no pre-existing aid. So when looking this beastie over keep that fact in mind.

Now, I wanted this guy to be CR 4 and I feel that the Fire vulnerability and limited efficiency of Fast Healing+Emerald Vitae balances out the creature when comparing it to the Ice Troll or Troll proper. But hey, it's up to your fine folks' judgment if I pulled off my idea successfully.

Siliniez

Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 6d6+30 (51 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 feet (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dexterity, +1 Dodge, +3 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack: +3
CMB: +5
CMD: 16
Attack: Unarmed Strike +5 (1d4+2 20/x2)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +5 (1d4+2 20/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fists of Feyry
Special Qualities: DR 5/Cold Iron, Emerald Vitae, Fast Healing 2, Ferocity, Fire Vulnerability, Plant traits
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14 , Dex 12 , Con 18 , Int 8 , Wis 12 , Cha 6
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) +8, Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Survival +7
Feats: Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Power Attack, Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Rivalry (2), Class (3-4) Tournament (5 or more)
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: Usually Neutral.

The traveler had spent the last hour running for her life, dogged by a foul abomination that appeared to be a bat-winged Gnoll. Her chest heaved and stung with every breath, her limbs like weights from the combination of exertion and the multitude of superficial wounds the horror had managed to score in its pursuit. She and her companion had tried to initially fight it off, but the wicked thing had gutted Maethorn while it ignored the blows it received like they were the touches of a feather. She had to bite back tears and a sob as she remembered the demise of the brave wolf; that damned monster wouldn’t give her the time to mourn. The harried woman stopped for a moment, no longer hearing the beast at her heels. Her thin, graceful fingers grabbed the edges of her hood, pulling the garment down to reveal a beauty that was almost unearthly. Gold-spun hair fell around emerald eyes and pointed ears, revealing her elven heritage to any who were watching. The sudden cracking of wood was the only warning she received as the hellspawn swooped from above, dealing a hard, but ultimately glancing, blow to her head.

Tessara lost her footing, falling backwards as the world began to spin and darken to her. She looked up into the eyes of the cruel, pitiless creature that now loomed over her, murder in its eyes and blood on its claws and teeth. She closed her eyes, taking her last breaths to offer prayers to her gods and to mourn the friend she lost and those who would not know of her final moments. Time seemed to slow to an absolute crawl as she felt the approaching bloodlust of the half-fiend, almost envisioning the claws digging into the soft, tender skin of her torso.

The tragic scene was interrupted as a loud shout pierced the air, the sound of a something colliding with the monstrosity that had been out for her life’s blood reaching her keen elvish ears. Taking this moment to recover, the damsel steadied herself, leaning up and opening leaden eye-lids. Before her stood what was at first glance a half-naked, muscular elf. But as her mysterious savior threw itself at his foe, she noticed that this could not be the case. The new arrival was far too heavy set and thick, with a build of muscle that would be more appropriate on a dwarf than an elf. Its skin was gray and smooth like the living rock, its body void of hair as far as she could tell. As it slipped into a fighting stance and delivered a punishing blow to the Gnoll, which attempted to take flight once more, she saw eyes of that were vivid pools the color of healthy grass. As the elven ranger regained her footing and drew a hidden dagger she knew she was in the company of a Siliniez and that she had gotten very lucky. Tessara took in a ragged breath and charged, praying that her new ally would not end up turning on her.

Siliniez, also known as “Faerie Trolls” and “Wood Monks”, are a reclusive breed of fey who represent nature’s eternal, undying presence. They appear to be heavily set male elves with green eyes and gray skin that is completely devoid of hair. Siliniez bleed not blood but a green, sap-like substance which is in fact a form of enchanted moss. This moss suffuses every inch of the fey; acting like blood does in most other living things.

Siliniez are unique amongst fey in that they are more centered of mind, not penchant to spread the chaos, trickery and mischievousness their kin are legendary for. They live mostly a hermit’s life, devoting their time to training their bodies in the arts of unarmed combat; patrolling the land they inhabit to defend it from unnatural entities or dangerous outsiders. When multiple Siliniez live in the same area they give each other a wide berth, only ever coming together to combat great threats or to hold martial arts tournaments. These tournaments serve the same function as community gatherings in civilized cultures, being an open discussion of grudges, local issues and a place to blow off steam and to relax. Siliniez sparring is brutal and honest, following a point based scoring system because of the fact that a Siliniez's prodigious durability practically assures that KO's or real damage is unlikely.

Though creatures of neutrality Siliniez have a strong sense of personal honor when it comes to their word, they are loathe to break it when given and are even less likely to violate an oath they make when defeated in honest combat.

Combat

Fists of Feyry (Su)

The unarmed strike of a Siliniez is treated as being magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and attacking incorporeal creatures.
Emerald Vitae (Su)

The moss that suffuses a Siliniez’s very organs and veins makes it incredibly difficult to kill. If a Siliniez would be killed by damage it instead falls prone and is helpless for 2d6 rounds, returning to 1 HP after this time has elapsed. Ten points of acid, cold or fire damage done while the Siliniez is in this state cancels the effect and kills the Siliniez. A Siliniez can also regrow severed limbs or organs after 1d10 minutes; placing the severed limb or organ to the stump causes it to reattach instantly.
Ferocity (Ex)

A Siliniez remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. It is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score. If a Siliniez would later take the Diehard feat it instead dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score + 10.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-25, 12:30 AM
You should make this into a playable race.

Tanuki Tales
2011-04-25, 09:57 AM
You should make this into a playable race.

As in a base race or...?

Because using Pathfinder they're already playable as a level 4 character.

I'm not too great at determining level adjustment so that'd have to be up to someone else if that's what you're looking for.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-04-25, 06:54 PM
Ah, okay. I'm not familiar with pathfinder. I meant with level adjustment and stuff, yeah.

Tanuki Tales
2011-08-04, 10:57 PM
Bumping for further critiquing and opinions.

ShiningStarling
2011-08-05, 08:35 AM
Yes, this could be a player race, however, they don't seem to have the personalities to be adventurers, so you'd have to play the "race rebel" card to make one. This is a good idea, but does the fast healing still work while ferocity is in effect? 'Cause then you would actually heal a point of damage each round. Just wondering. :smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2011-08-05, 09:59 AM
Yes, this could be a player race, however, they don't seem to have the personalities to be adventurers, so you'd have to play the "race rebel" card to make one. This is a good idea, but does the fast healing still work while ferocity is in effect? 'Cause then you would actually heal a point of damage each round. Just wondering. :smallsmile:

I honestly can't think of any creature that has both Fast Healing/Regeneration and the Ferocity ability naturally, but I don't see why they wouldn't interact as normal with each other. And you stop losing HP each round as soon as the first round of your Fast Healing takes effect since the rules for below 0 hp state you stabilize as soon as you receive any form of healing.