PDA

View Full Version : Why is Editing a Post So Broken?

icefractal
2011-04-25, 01:14 AM
There's a significant flaw in editing posts that's been a problem as long as I remember, and has recently becomes really vexing, to the point that I've started to avoid posting here. When you edit a post, the text in the edit box is set to the original text you first posted, not the most recent text.

For example:
12:05 - Original Post: "I agree with your idea. This would crtainly hep streamline character creation".

12:06 - Edit: "crtainly hep" -> "certainly help"

12:07 - Decide to add more content: "I agree with your idea. This would crtainly hep streamline character creation. In fact, here's a possible chart for how it would work ..." (Adds entire chart).
Note that the typo is back, because the edit box was populated by the original text from 12:05.

12:08 - Notice typo again, fix it: "I agree with your idea. This would certainly help streamline character creation."
Oh wait, now the entire chart is gone.

12:09 - Get fed up, erase post, go to another site.

Technical Details:
* Usually using Opera on Windows XP.
* This doesn't happen on any other forums.
* Yes, I've tried reloading the page after posting (just now, in fact). Still happens.

Strawberries
2011-04-25, 01:35 AM
:smallconfused:
Strange. I don't remember this ever happening to me, on none of the computers I use.

I'm using Firefox on Windows 7, if it helps.

EDIT: Just edited twice to see if it would work. It works fine. Strange.:smallconfused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-25, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I've never had this happen either. I have never used Opera or Safari, but I know plenty of posters here do. I have used IE 6 through 9 and Firefox 2 through 4 on Windows 2000 through Windows 7, in various combinations. I've done it both by editing and reviewing several times before posting as well as several iterations of post/edit/submit/edit/submit too.

I'd be curious if anyone else has seen this phenomenon and what their particulars are if they have.

arguskos
2011-04-25, 02:14 AM
I've never seen this (Chrome, Mac OS 10.6), but I do have a suggestion to the OP for handling it. Use Notepad as a quick copy-paste of the most updated post you have, fix everything there, and paste it back into the edit box. That keeps everything nicely updated, and ensures you don't lose any work.

Spartacus
2011-04-25, 02:23 AM
I do seem to recall people complaining about editing breaking tables.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-25, 02:46 AM
Strange, but lets test it shall we as I apparently have the same system.

Adding more content after fixing a typo (letss -> lets)

Goes in to edit one more, now with more typos.

Edits typos from earlier (Goes in to edit one more, now wit moe typios.)

Opera 11.10
Windows XP
Couldn't reproduce the problem.
Edited once more due to wrong opera version. :smalltongue:

icefractal
2011-04-25, 02:49 AM
That's odd. It's definitely happening right now though. Here's the steps I followed:

1) Logged in, with "Remember Me"
2) Reloaded page, because it was still showing as not logged in.
3) Hit reply.
4) Reply showed "not logged in screen" (from before, I guess), so reloaded.
5) Entered "Initial Post"
6) Hit edit, changed text to "Changed Post"
7) Reloaded page.
8) Hit edit, text showed up as "Initial Post".

The "needing to reload to show up as logged in" thing is a bit odd also, so maybe there's a connection. But reloading definitely doesn't help with the edit issue.

Edit: Ok, just tried something. I cleared history/cookies, closed the browser, re-opened it, went back here, and now "Edit" shows the post from when I last changed it (not "Initial Post").

Edit 2: But it's only saving changes from before I cleared everything - when I went to add this it still removed the first "Edit:". I don't think closing the browser between every edit is a good solution.

LaZodiac
2011-04-25, 02:52 AM
I've had something similiar to this. Basically, pages don't update unless I press refreash. It's really weird and I'm just curious as to why.

Deth Muncher
2011-04-25, 05:37 AM
I've had something similiar to this. Basically, pages don't update unless I press refreash. It's really weird and I'm just curious as to why.

That's...pretty much the board, actually. This isn't in realtime - you have to update to see new posts/threads.

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-25, 06:28 AM
1) Logged in, with "Remember Me"
2) Reloaded page, because it was still showing as not logged in.
3) Hit reply.
4) Reply showed "not logged in screen" (from before, I guess), so reloaded.

On the other hand, I've never had any problems with this. When I'm logged in on "remember me" I'm logged in, basically. :smallsmile:

What version of Opera are you using? (not that I've had any problems with earlier versions)

Douglas
2011-04-25, 08:17 AM
Sounds like your browser is doing an excessive amount of caching, and possibly also not storing the login cookie properly. I don't use Opera myself so I don't know where the relevant options that might be responsible might be, but it's definitely a problem with your browser, not the site.

LaZodiac
2011-04-25, 08:33 AM
That's...pretty much the board, actually. This isn't in realtime - you have to update to see new posts/threads.

Yha, but I mean, if I were to post what I'm writing now, then click on the topic, it would show the topic being without my post.

NerfTW
2011-04-25, 10:27 AM
Edit: Ok, just tried something. I cleared history/cookies, closed the browser, re-opened it, went back here, and now "Edit" shows the post from when I last changed it (not "Initial Post").

Edit 2: But it's only saving changes from before I cleared everything - when I went to add this it still removed the first "Edit:". I don't think closing the browser between every edit is a good solution.

Check your browser settings and make sure your cache options are set to "check every time". This isn't a board issue, it's your browser being set to grab pages from the cache instead of online.

Rawhide
2011-04-27, 06:11 AM
Yeah, this isn't a site issue. It's something your browser or a setting you've changed on your browser is doing. Do you have any form recovery programs/plugins/extensions running?