PDA

View Full Version : How to pitch a sandbox game to a group that's mostly used pre-mades?

Coidzor
2011-04-25, 01:47 AM
So, I've been thinking about trying my hand at DMing with a world I've been designing off and on since 09...(ok, mostly off :smallredface:) and I've hit enough of an upswing that I think I could basically fill in the areas of interest as the players decide to get near them.

Only, so far we've mostly played when one or another of the DMs has run either with premade adventures strung loosely together or pre-made campaigns (both bought and one self-created), so I'm not really sure how to introduce the idea and what sort of level of detail to present to the players about what they would know about the world. I'm basically going to have them at least agree upon what kind of party they are before play would start, so if they wanted to be a mercenary company or pirate crew, I'd know that in advance of play starting and they'd have the characters to fit more or less well together, so I'd at least have an idea of where to start 'em off geographically and have a broad idea of what they wanted out of it(since that was part of the way I conceptualized the setting, that it would suggest several different varieties of adventure that a group would choose one or two of, at least to start with to explore more.

I've got a couple of ideas for plots or hooks that could become plots and with the amount of time between when we can get together, if I'm stumped I can just come up with something new... I guess maybe I'm just unsure of how to set the tone for things before the ball is rolling and they're off doing whatever voodoo they do so well.

Ozreth
2011-04-25, 04:47 AM
Have you simply tried "Hey guys, I'm down to DM a game in a world of my own design, you in?"

Then just simply play it well enough to get them hooked :)

Conners
2011-04-25, 05:05 AM
Depends a lot on your players. Some players, after all, are pretty thick and disagreeable (most aren't[?] thankfully).

One thing you could do, is write down some basic, everyday important facts about your setting, preferably stuff directly related to where your players are and what they're doing. Then, they can pass it around during the game. Besides that, and a broad overview you give them of the setting (gritty and realistic, or adventurers with billions of gold) - so they have some idea of what they'll be doing or how a normal person acts - you can just tell them bits and pieces where you need to or where it's useful.

That's how I see it, anyways.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-25, 06:32 AM
Pitch the world first...toss out some interesting tidbits you know they'll like.

Then, pitch the flexibility. The whole "go anywhere, do anything" is the nature of the sandbox. Some people adapt to it well, and love it. Some react to choice with indecision and confusion. This mostly comes down to knowing your group. If you have at least someone that enjoys this kind of flexibility, you should do quite well.

Eldan
2011-04-25, 11:54 AM
Thing is, some groups have problems with sandboxes. It needs a certain kind of players: those who show initiative.

You probably have to ease them into it a little, until they get used to it. Start with a relatively dense, but short plot, that introduces a few organizations in the world, then let the players choose a side. Or start by making them part of a caravan or expedition that goes to explore a new land, were they can then wander off on their own.

Basically, start slow and with loose rails, then let them follow the hooks that interest them.

Yora
2011-04-25, 12:04 PM
I'd start the campaign with a very clear defined goal. For example "You've been chosen by the duke to scout an old ruin at the edge of the wilderness, clear it of any monsters, and build it into a stronghold to secure the border."
Then they have to assemble an expedition, or first do some scouting on their own. If neccessary they return to get additional forces to clear out the place. Then they need to establish a permanent garrison of soldiers and attract workers tu turn the ruin into a mostly self-reliant frontier community. That alone can easly take 10 sessions and more and after that the players will have some pretty good idea about the area, their characters motivations, and the NPCs and creatures they are dealing with. And from that point leave them free reign to run their new stronghold with the sole order to keep the dukes land safe from monsters comming from the wilderness.

But in any case, before you start thinking about a location or characters, everyone should agree on an initial goal. No matter how interesting the characters and the setting, without any direction where to go and for what reason, you won't get anywhere.

Coidzor
2011-04-25, 01:26 PM
Thing is, some groups have problems with sandboxes. It needs a certain kind of players: those who show initiative.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what exactly to watch out for and that's feeding into part of my concern.

You probably have to ease them into it a little, until they get used to it. Start with a relatively dense, but short plot, that introduces a few organizations in the world, then let the players choose a side. Or start by making them part of a caravan or expedition that goes to explore a new land, were they can then wander off on their own.

Basically, start slow and with loose rails, then let them follow the hooks that interest them.

Hmm, yeah, I was thinking that something like that might be necessary but was a bit unsure of what kind of introductory/tutorial adventures have tended to have less potential for getting borked and work better for this kind of purpose.

Hadn't considered the whole giving a face to each organization as part of the first thing though... Hmm... Well, that's leading me to think I might have it go down in one of two places where they can travel relatively easily to wherever they actually want to go...

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-26, 03:24 PM
I'd start the campaign with a very clear defined goal. For example "You've been chosen by the duke to scout an old ruin at the edge of the wilderness, clear it of any monsters, and build it into a stronghold to secure the border."
Then they have to assemble an expedition, or first do some scouting on their own. If neccessary they return to get additional forces to clear out the place. Then they need to establish a permanent garrison of soldiers and attract workers tu turn the ruin into a mostly self-reliant frontier community. That alone can easly take 10 sessions and more and after that the players will have some pretty good idea about the area, their characters motivations, and the NPCs and creatures they are dealing with. And from that point leave them free reign to run their new stronghold with the sole order to keep the dukes land safe from monsters comming from the wilderness.

But in any case, before you start thinking about a location or characters, everyone should agree on an initial goal. No matter how interesting the characters and the setting, without any direction where to go and for what reason, you won't get anywhere.
This is it, exactly.

"Sandbox" is a term that lacks a good definition. Examine the Sliding Scale of Linearity vs. Openness (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingScaleOfLinearityVsOpenness) and say which one you're actually interested in running. Then poll your Players and get each of them to independently select what kind of campaign they'd like to play in.

That's a good place to start. Then follow Yora's example, with appropriate tweaks.