PDA

View Full Version : The Resistance(OOC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

PersonMan
2011-04-25, 05:43 AM
Player
Character

TekHed
Soren St. Croix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=293123)

autopsibiofeeder
Danid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=354027)

ArchmageIlmryn
Uthlas-Reth (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=412695)

NPC Reference Table
Name|Gender|Race|Contact|Notes|First Appearance|Speech Color
Serris|F|Gnome|Direct|Contacts galore|Arc 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11989963&postcount=95)|Olive
His Holiness|M?|God of War?|Seina|Speaks Sylvan [Ukr]|Arc 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15347611&postcount=481)|Silver
Mystic|M|Gnome|Direct|Old man, does mystical things|Arc 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12072487&postcount=110)|Sienna
Seina|F|Gnome|Direct/Serris|Serris' sister, War Cultist|Arc 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15270821&postcount=459)|Dark Olive Green
Drenarius|M|Gnome|Direct|Dead undead insane genocidal gnome|Arc 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12922081&postcount=204)|KIA, color revoked
Noriya|F|???|N/A|Collects/stores books, has Drenarius books|N/A|N/A
The Crimson Smith|F|Elf|Direct|Prostitute/Crimson Smith|Arc 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14750885&postcount=414)|Red

"Contact" is the link between them and the party. "Direct" means they interact with the party...well, directly.

The fluffy stuff from the recruitment page:

It began nearly half a century ago, when the Orcish and Elven Kingdoms merged to form the Erish Double-Monarchy, which quickly became a leading power in the region. Shortly after this the elven kingdom declared war on the Gnomish States to the west-not long before, they had gained independence and wrested control of several areas of the elven homeland. Now, however, their former dwarven monarch allies had been deposed and the nations to the south were unwilling to help.

The war was one of the first in which cannon and massed firearms played a large role. The first elven offensive was halted by the three major fortresses of the cluster of allied states, but all eventually fell after long and bloody battles. The massive fortress-city of Hiriklev, the capitol of the States, lasted nearly 19 months under the now-combined elven and orcish attacks. After the city fell, it was only a few weeks before the remaining resistance was destroyed and the former Gnomish States occupied.

The regions on the border of the elven kingdom were directly annexed, and now a "reculturization" program has begun, with hundreds of elves moving into the territory, taking up positions once held by humans or gnomes. The last resistance groups were forced to retreat into the swamps or to the coast and entire villages have been broken apart, the inhabitants forced into the fields or mines as part of the erishian plan to make itself less reliant on imports.

However, not all hope has been lost. The new erishian monarch, a child of the orcish queen Sella-Vis and elven king Komnrot-Nah, has just taken the throne. Simultaneously, the Erish Double-Monarchy has begun a massive campaign against the Empire of Scales to the south, crossing the Kirret Mountains to attack the weakened nation and bring the populations of elves and orcs under its control. The Empire of Scales is being attacked from the south as well, by a human confederation and the goblinoid United Tribes. This, as well as recent rebel victories along the coast, have created an ideal situation to overthrow the provisional government set up by the erishians and revive the former Gnomish States.

World Info:
The Gnomish States: Despite their name, this collection of city-states and other small nations isn't actually made up of only gnomes-it's split, around 40% of the population are gnomes, another 40% are elves and the remaining 20% is almost all human.

Before the elven invasion they were focusing on becoming more developed, so that they could stay a sovereign nation without their dwarven allies that had helped them gain independence. The government consisted of several councils that made minor decisions and advised the Head Governor.

The Erish Double-Monarchy: A fusion of the elven and orcish kingdoms, this state is the main power of the region, as the Empire of Scales is declining and slowly being fought out of its outer territories. Each of the two nations still has a degree of autonomy, with a slowly widening area in the center that is ruled only by the erishian central government.

-The Elven Kingdom: The last decade or so has seen massive campaigns to improve resource production, with several elven tree-cities being depopulated due to the drive to "reculture" captured lands, work in mines or on farms and the like. Before this change the elven kingdom imported a massive amount of what it needed, but that has shrunk considerably. Komnrot-Nah, the elven ruler of the kingdom now that his son has ascended the double-throne, has been feverishly working to increase production in newly captured areas-he expects that a war with the human and goblinoid kingdoms will come soon, cutting the nation off from necessary resources unless it can provide for itself.

-The Orcish Kingdom: The orcs have also undergone massive changes. Sella-Vis knows that the current advances in technology will put a large strain on the orcish military-their massive strength will be of little use when all battles are decided at range. As such, she is investing large amounts of time and energy into the development of what she calls Orcish Heavy Guns, weapons designed to be used by the prodigiously strong orcs, capable of firing large projectiles that could tear through armor. These are, however, still in production, and will probably stay so for a long time.

The Empire of Scales: The Empire of Scales is ruled by a leader called the Ch'et, who is said to be filled with the divine insight of their forefathers. Lizardfolk and kobolds make up the bulk of their homeland population, with massive numbers of humans, goblins, elves and orcs living in their outer territories. They make fairly frequent large-scale sacrifices to their deity, mainly from orcs and humans, as their populations recover fairly quickly.

The Federation of Human Peoples: The Federation, as it it often referred to, is the government that controls much of the southwest of the continent. It is allied with the United Tribes and has begun an experimental project which will intermarry noble families of the two nations and entrust disputed areas to their rule.

The United Tribes: A mostly goblinoid nation, the United Tribes first began the war with the Empire of Scales, due to their sacrifice of large numbers of goblins in their southeastern territory. They control the southeastern part of the continent and are allied with Urseg-Ni, a large desert nation far to the south that is inhabited by strange, thin creatures that recently conquered the continent from its former rulers. This alliance has brought them many benefits, such as advanced weapons technology.

Hiriklev: Since the erishian victory, Hiriklev has been mostly repaired and life is beginning to gain some sense of normalcy. However, there have been a few acts of sabotage recently, prompting the occupation government to institute a curfew and put armed patrols on the streets. After a riot nearly breaks out and the chaos sweeps you all into one of the old sewers you find the remains of a small, elite team of soldiers that were killed by an explosion. They have a bit of magical gear on them-enough to either make you very popular with the occupation forces for turning it in, or to make you very dangerous rebels...

The Crunch(from the second recruitment thread):
The 24-Threatened Squares 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

DnD 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrewed Setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

2 more people, no alternates.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

These forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 2, 1000 XP.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard WBL, 900 GP.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Current players are a reach-weapon-using orc fighter and halfling warblade/swordsage who can sneak fairly well. Due to the disappearance of one of the players, they have no magical support. As such, arcane or divine casters are going to be considered more than additional melee people, although it's not more than a tie-breaker advantage.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

If you're something really exotic, expect to come from another continent(and have a reason why you crossed an ocean to come here). The main races of the continent are humans, elves, orcs, half-elves, halflings, gnomes, kobolds, lizardfolk, goblins and hobgoblins. Some variants, like varags and whispers gnomes, are there as well, but in smaller numbers.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

You choose either a 4d6b3x6 roll or take 36 point buy. If you roll very badly(+6 or lower total modifier) you can take 34 point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment is used but won't be super-important. As long as you can play in a team, etc. you should be fine. If I think you're acting differently from your alignment, I'll advise you to change it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclassing is fine, the XP penalty is not being used.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

You make your rolls, I make mine. Sometimes I make your rolls(disguise, bluff, sense motive, etc.). We'll be using the die roller here.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

I do have some houserules, but they're all minor things and so spread out listing them would need me to look through over a dozen of my books to find the original rules. Generally, if I've made a change to something and it could effect you, I'll let you know.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Well, you all need to be in Hiriklev, but apart from that background is of minor importance. I'll be looking at description/personality information, though, so remember that.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Well, the others are in favor of sneaking around and doing...well, typical resistance stuff, killing soldiers, destroying supplies, etc. As such, there's a dose of hack'n'slash, but a good amount of 'puzzle' solving(i.e. 'how do we get into guarded building X?') and, hopefully, roleplaying.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I'm more open to homebrew classes than usual(primarily because I now have to only evaluate about a fourth of base classes, not the whole things). I'm usually very open to homebrew. Homebrew is approved on a piece-by-piece basis. Telling me what you want a piece of homebrew for is a good idea, and a quick summary of its strengths and weaknesses will speed up the review/approval process.

I have a lot of 3.5 books. Tell me your plans and I'll tell you if I have any problems/need information or the like.

Quick Reference:
System: DnD 3.5, E6 variant
Player Count: 2 additional players
Style of Play: Sandboxy sneaking with some Hack'n'Slash
Allowed Content: I have a large 3.5 library. List your sources for what you use and I'll tell if you if I need a run-down on what something does.

Character Creation:

Backstory:
Experience: Level 2
Wealth: Standard; 900 GP
Ability Scores: 4d6b3 or 36 point buy; if the dice hate you, 34 point buy
Hitpoints/Health: Max at first level, after that take rounded-up average
Alignment: Be able to play in a team, no Chaotic Stupid, Stupid Evil, etc.

Arc Log:
Under Construction.

Arc 1 - The Tunnels
Interlude - Split Afternoon
Current Arc Arc 2 - Dreams of a Metal God

So, go ahead and claim colors/talk a bit. The IC will be up fairly soon.
Oldified:
But first, a vote:
Initiative:
Group Initiative: Average out rolls of party and enemies, use
Group Initiative II: Take average rolls of party and enemies, average, use
Single Initiative: Use normally
Other ideas? Post 'em!

Next, a question so that I know which things to prepare for:
What sort of methods would you prefer? Short strikes at erishian troops, mass rioting or assassinations? In general, not specifically-basically, more hack/slash or more sneaking and the like.

TekHed
2011-04-25, 06:00 AM
W00t! First in the pool!

As Soren, Indigo will be the color of my speech. :smallcool:

Re: Initiative: I vote normal, since I have nice modifiers. :smallwink:

Play style: Our group seems geared for guerrilla tactics, so I say hit and run skirmish combats. Keeps things from bogging down as well with larger combats. I'd like some sneaking and assassinations but we have two big bruisers so they might get left out of more subtle missions. Between an archer, 2 primary and a secondary/support melee we will do pretty well.

I'd be least in favor of going the political, "start an uprising" route though I would love it if that kind of thing were the backdrop for what we do.

Outside of combat, I like the idea of being covert, moving through cities to meet with contacts, avoiding the authorities and such. So a good mix of urban infiltration and wilderness surgical strikes.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-25, 11:57 AM
I'll take dark green, because it's easy on my eyes.

I'm okay with any initiative system - I'm most comfortable with single because it's all I've ever used, but I'm also fully willing to try something new.

In terms of tactics, well, our party seems pretty unsuited to politics (especially since three of us are of the oppressors' races), so we'll probably have to do any leading by example. Hit-and-run raids on patrols (spread carefully over a wide area so we don't give away our hideout), sabotage (troops need supplies - supplies can be stolen or burned), preferably no assassination. Basically, what TekHed said.

I'm actually somewhat tempted to nominate his character for party leader, based partly on the fact that he's the only gnome and partly on the fact that his is the only background I could find other than my own, and Morah-Liln would make a terrible leader. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-25, 06:10 PM
Alright, my character's speech color will be dark red.

I vote for standard initiative, and for resistance plans, I say we raid and start stocking weapons and armor, as well as basic supplies. Then, we start recruiting people and equipping them with gear.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-25, 07:23 PM
Any initiative system works for me.

I'd prefer a sort of lead by example sort of game. Politics and intrigue are cool, but there should definitely be a liberal dose of heavy handed violence every once in a while. So balanced between Hack&slash and sneaky politiking.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-25, 08:04 PM
I'd like some sneaking and assassinations but we have two big bruisers so they might get left out of more subtle missions. Between an archer, 2 primary and a secondary/support melee we will do pretty well.

The bruisers are both orcs, so we don't really need to hide for sneaking and assassination, as long as we keep a low profile.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-25, 08:25 PM
The bruisers are both orcs, so we don't really need to hide for sneaking and assassination, as long as we keep a low profile.

There is that. And with a nice long firing range with plenty of damage (especially in one more level), I can probably obtain quite a variety of "costumes" for you both. :smallbiggrin:

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-25, 08:36 PM
Golgatha isn't strictly a bruiser. He's a cleric.:smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-25, 08:38 PM
Golgatha isn't strictly a bruiser. He's a cleric.:smalltongue:

Cleric/barbarian. And his hit die are a d8 and a d12, that averages as a d10. But does he carry any weapons?

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-25, 08:56 PM
Does the sheet show the holy water sprinkler? I updated it but it didn't show up on the sheet the first time.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-25, 08:59 PM
Does the sheet show the holy water sprinkler? I updated it but it didn't show up on the sheet the first time.

Why does your character have weapon focus (spear)?

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-26, 02:58 AM
It's the bonus you get for picking the War domain. It gives you Weapon Focus with the favored weapon of your god. Guurmsh's is the spear.

Golgatha will probably pick one up later when he gets a chance. For the moment he's saving his money, as sort of a nest egg that'll hopefully help pay for the provisioning of some resistance troopers.

TekHed
2011-04-26, 04:14 AM
Ah...are you going to continue with Cleric for the next 4 levels then?

Platypus...I'd recommend taking the Precise Shot Feat ASAP so you don't skewer us in melee.

PersonMan
2011-04-26, 05:18 AM
IC is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10862533#post10862533)

...One character too few.

TekHed
2011-04-26, 07:30 AM
DM, can we get just a -wee- bit more contextual info? Is this floor that collapsed ina building, and if so what sort? You say one side faces towards the outside of the city...it's a fortress city right so we are right against the wall of it? And that side of the room is iron barred...like a cell?

We haven;t had a chance to discuss yet since being chosen but...do our characters know each other? What were we all doing in this room with a collapsing floor? Or was it an alleyway? Is the city under attack?

PersonMan
2011-04-26, 09:56 AM
Alright, alright. Yeesh, context, how important is context? It's not like the city being attacked by an army of 10,000 demons will change your actions at all...:smalltongue:

Basically, outside is a massive crowd that's on the brink of rioting. One way or the other you either entered or were forced(crowd movement pushed you in, for example) to enter an old building in an alleyway, where you didn't have time to do anything other than fall when the floor collapsed.

You're near the outer edge of the inner city, where there's a large, reinforced wall with some towers and the like. The wall is made of concrete with iron bars in it to add strength-you can see strips of metal sticking out in some places.

As far as you know, the city is not under attack and...well, if you guys want to know each other then you can work it out here. I'm fine either way.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-26, 01:17 PM

Platypus...I'd recommend taking the Precise Shot Feat ASAP so you don't skewer us in melee.

Yeah, the feats I had up there were originally intended to be preliminary. I'll take a look.

EDIT: There we go. Took Noncombatant flaw (shouldn't ever really be in melee anyway, and it fits with the fact that he's literally been training exclusively with a bow his entire life) so I could add in Precise Shot. Also knocked off the dagger, which was really only there for flavor, so I'd have the weight and gold for a masterwork fletchery set. Sorry for the last-minute edit, PersonMan, I promise to leave it alone now. :smalltongue:

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-26, 04:06 PM

That's the plan.

So, three of us have missed the spot check already... Here's hoping it's not dangerous.

PersonMan
2011-04-26, 05:57 PM
Once TekHed posts I'll either start the massacre detail the corpse-loot or sleep, then do so.

TekHed
2011-04-26, 07:23 PM
Posted! :smallbiggrin:

So what do I find when I uncover the corpses?

Can we please keep OOC comments out of the IC? Or at least spoiler tag them por favor?

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-26, 09:07 PM
Posted! :smallbiggrin:

Can we please keep OOC comments out of the IC? Or at least spoiler tag them por favor?

Seconded. :smallsmile: And I'll keep my rolls spoilered in the future.

BTW, Odin, Morah's last comment to you is his take on a declaration of friendship, given the circumstances. Might be a fun greeting/departure blessing between them, if it's something Glogotha (or Golgatha? I've seen both) would look favorably on. :smallbiggrin:

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-27, 03:53 AM
As far as spelling Golgatha works, although i keep mistyping it.

I'm definitely starting to dig the groups dynamic so far. I could definitely see Golgatha and Morah developing a friendly rivalry. As soon as a combat starts, Golgatha is probably going to start a kill count.

I'm not sure if Golgatha would say that elves count double, cause he doesn't like them or if he'd say they count as half, cause they aren't as tough as orcs.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-27, 04:27 AM
As far as spelling Golgatha works, although i keep mistyping it.

I'm definitely starting to dig the groups dynamic so far. I could definitely see Golgatha and Morah developing a friendly rivalry. As soon as a combat starts, Golgatha is probably going to start a kill count.

I'm not sure if Golgatha would say that elves count double, cause he doesn't like them or if he'd say they count as half, cause they aren't as tough as orcs.

Sounds good to me. Morah would probably say elves count double, because they actually require aim. :smallwink:

PersonMan
2011-04-27, 08:02 AM
Well, then, the first combat of the adventure begins!

By the way, I'm about 6 hours ahead of most of you, so for the most part my posts will probably be concentrated around late morning/early afternoon for you guys.

To save time you can post actions with your initiative. There's no surprise round, as you have more than enough warning that these things might attack you and they leap at the first sign(or even at no sign) of aggression.

Would you prefer to roll initiative, or should I do so with whatever triggers the combat?

EDIT: Well. With the map, the room certainly looks a lot smaller than it's supposed to.

TekHed
2011-04-27, 08:29 AM
Battle Map?

Initiative: [roll0]

PersonMan
2011-04-27, 09:07 AM
Map is in the IC.

Monster 1 goes first, since Soren was the one one with a chance of beating its initiative...

Now we'll wait for the others. They both have high enough modifiers to roll higher than what's already been rolled.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-27, 01:00 PM
Why couldn't those rolls have been reversed?

Oh well, while I'm up here with a natural 20 on Knowledge:Nature, is there any chance of getting additional info or a to-hit/damage/AC bonus against 'em? :smalltongue:

TekHed
2011-04-27, 07:27 PM
Map is in the IC.

Monster 1 goes first, since Soren was the one one with a chance of beating its initiative...

Now we'll wait for the others. They both have high enough modifiers to roll higher than what's already been rolled.

Hmm. Map wasn't there last night when I checked...and yikes! Up front in not where Soren likes to be...I know I can tumble through an ally's square...but can I attack using my reach weapon through an ally's square? I checked the SRD and couldn't find the ruling there...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-27, 08:26 PM
Hmm. Map wasn't there last night when I checked...and yikes! Up front in not where Soren likes to be...I know I can tumble through an ally's square...but can I attack using my reach weapon through an ally's square? I checked the SRD and couldn't find the ruling there...

Yes, with a -4 penalty for soft cover.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-27, 09:37 PM
Yes, with a -4 penalty for soft cover.

Though I see nothing in the rules to suggest that (with Precise Shot) I take any penalty for shooting through an ally's square? That's an interesting double standard, though I guess I spent a feat and I don't need to worry about getting my weapon back out again.

TekHed
2011-04-27, 11:44 PM
Never mind...I have a better idea anyways.

@PersonMan...is this a homebrewed monster?

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-28, 02:59 AM
Should we wait post in initiative order?

I kind of thought it'd be easier just to post our actions and let Person Man reorder everything so it makes sense.

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 03:46 AM
Never mind...I have a better idea anyways.

@PersonMan...is this a homebrewed monster?

Nope. I just decided that a picture would be too easy to recognize, so I described it. The book description it all of three lines and doesn't do it justice anyways, so I went ahead and did so.

If you're burning with curiosity, I can tell you after the fight.

Should we wait post in initiative order?

I kind of thought it'd be easier just to post our actions and let Person Man reorder everything so it makes sense.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Captain Platypus:
Knowledge stuff: These things see rather well in the dark-about as well as elves. They can also track with their powerful noses.

Your attack/damage stuff:
[roll0]
[roll1]

TekHed
2011-04-28, 04:12 AM
Which one would be nice? Posting in order or letting you order in the update?

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 04:23 AM
Letting me put things in order at the update.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-28, 04:38 AM
Very nice little combat there. Always nice to have a couple minor threats to make the big ones more, you know, big-feeling. :smallsmile:

(of course, I'm not the one who took damage)

TekHed
2011-04-28, 04:46 AM
It took me a minute to make sense of the last update PersonMan, as you didn't explicitly narrate my action. What I got was, Kator skewers Monster 2 on the diagonal with his reach weapon doing 7 points of damage and dropping it to 0. Then the monster landing at Kator's feet is Monster 1 (thrown by me). Monster 1 had already acted on it's initiative attacking Soren at the beginning of the round, but you said it feebly claws at Morah-Lin with what I presume is the AoO you rolled for it...seeing as how it was tripped and knocked prone, if it tried to get up (a move action which I think it forfeited for not taking one when it full attacked me earlier in the round.) it would have provoked an AoO from both Kator and Morah Lin. How did it get this AoO? Me tripping it doesn't trigger any.

Also, looking at the Carcass Eater entry, I think you might have gotten the trip modifier's off for it. It's small (which I didn't realize) so it gets a -4 penalty to the dex roll (since it's dex is higher than it's strength), canceled out by the +4 from having four legs and then a dex modifier of +3, so it's trip resistance roll should be 1d20+3, not +8...

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-28, 04:51 AM
Monster 1 had already acted on it's initiative attacking Soren at the beginning of the round, but you said it feebly claws at Morah-Lin with what I presume is the AoO you rolled for it...seeing as how it was tripped and knocked prone, if it tried to get up (a move action which I think it forfeited for not taking one when it full attacked me earlier in the round.) it would have provoked an AoO from both Kator and Morah Lin. How did it get this AoO? Me tripping it doesn't trigger any.

My interpretation was that Morah was simply so incredibly slow to react that it got a second action before his turn ever came up. :smalltongue: Seriously, a 2? I was briefly tempted to roleplay that as "struck himself in the unmentionables with his own bow".

Really, I'm not too fussed about it - it may very well have just been there for flavor, and fun > rules in my book any day.

TekHed
2011-04-28, 04:55 AM
My first time with a ToB character so I'm wanting to makes sure I get all the subtleties of combat right. E6 is a great way to try it out which is why I'm being more of a stickler.

Also, Platypus...you should change your avatar to a ninja because that's what you just did to me in the IC....by 4 minutes damnit!!! :smalltongue:

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-28, 05:07 AM
My first time with a ToB character so I'm wanting to makes sure I get all the subtleties of combat right. E6 is a great way to try it out which is why I'm being more of a stickler.

Also, Platypus...you should change your avatar to a ninja because that's what you just did to me in the IC....by 4 minutes damnit!!! :smalltongue:

First one makes sense. As for the other, though, let me think...no thanks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html). :smallsmile:

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 06:44 AM
It took me a minute to make sense of the last update PersonMan, as you didn't explicitly narrate my action. What I got was, Kator skewers Monster 2 on the diagonal with his reach weapon doing 7 points of damage and dropping it to 0. Then the monster landing at Kator's feet is Monster 1 (thrown by me). Monster 1 had already acted on it's initiative attacking Soren at the beginning of the round, but you said it feebly claws at Morah-Lin with what I presume is the AoO you rolled for it...seeing as how it was tripped and knocked prone, if it tried to get up (a move action which I think it forfeited for not taking one when it full attacked me earlier in the round.) it would have provoked an AoO from both Kator and Morah Lin. How did it get this AoO? Me tripping it doesn't trigger any.

Yes. I wasn't sure if being prone kept one from taking AOOs-it got one because Morah's attack was a ranged one.

Also, you aren't supposed to be looking into spoilers marked 'DM'.

Also, looking at the Carcass Eater entry, I think you might have gotten the trip modifier's off for it. It's small (which I didn't realize) so it gets a -4 penalty to the dex roll (since it's dex is higher than it's strength), canceled out by the +4 from having four legs and then a dex modifier of +3, so it's trip resistance roll should be 1d20+3, not +8...

Yeah, sorry about that. I haven't played with trippers(either as them or with them) for a while, and don't really know all of the modifiers all that well. I also got its dexterity mixed up(thought it was a +4, not a +3).

Then again, I could say that I'm making this a bit tougher for you to balance out your getting multiple times your WBL in magic items after this fight...:smallamused:

Also, it's trip modifiers. No apostrophe.

TekHed
2011-04-28, 07:51 AM
Yes. I wasn't sure if being prone kept one from taking AOOs-it got one because Morah's attack was a ranged one.

Also, you aren't supposed to be looking into spoilers marked 'DM'.

Sorry. I tend to just open spoilers out of habit around here. I'll make an effort not to. None of the rules I searched through nor a cursory google search was able to clarify if Prone characters are allowed to make AoO. We can assume that since they can still attack (albeit at a penalty) that they can still AoO.

Yeah, sorry about that. I haven't played with trippers(either as them or with them) for a while, and don't really know all of the modifiers all that well. I also got its dexterity mixed up(thought it was a +4, not a +3).

Then again, I could say that I'm making this a bit tougher for you to balance out your getting multiple times your WBL in magic items after this fight...:smallamused:

Yes but that would be fibbing. :smalltongue:

Also, it's trip modifiers. No apostrophe. What can I say? I type a lot. Typos ha[ppen. :smallwink:

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 11:45 AM
The contact is alright.

None of them are carrying coins of any sort of identification papers, and once you all get a good look at them, it seems that only one has obvious injuries-a few small cuts on his arms, but the rest seem to be completely healthy(apart from being dead, that is).

TekHed
2011-04-30, 07:15 AM
DM: still waiting on you to describe what's in the opening Soren found by making the spot check from your first post...

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-02, 01:16 AM
Is everything all right on your end, PersonMan? :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-04, 08:53 AM
Is everything all right on your end, PersonMan? :smallsmile:

Yeah, why haven't you been responding?

TekHed
2011-05-04, 07:45 PM
Oh noes! Please tell me this isn't going to end already?! I just had two DMs go on hiatus...can we not keep these things going?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-04, 09:04 PM
Oh noes! Please tell me this isn't going to end already?! I just had two DMs go on hiatus...can we not keep these things going?

Yes! I want this to keep going!

Odin the Ignoble
2011-05-05, 02:54 AM
It looks like it might be dead.

TekHed
2011-05-05, 04:03 PM
PersonMan is a player in another game with me and he hasn't been around their either. Something in RL must have his attention. Ideally we would all be able to check in when things come up but realisticly sometimes that isn't possible and well...rl takes priority.

So let's hope he's ok and comes back or checks in soon. Has anyone tried PM/emailing him?

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-05, 08:34 PM
PersonMan is a player in another game with me and he hasn't been around their either. Something in RL must have his attention. Ideally we would all be able to check in when things come up but realisticly sometimes that isn't possible and well...rl takes priority.

So let's hope he's ok and comes back or checks in soon. Has anyone tried PM/emailing him?

He's also in a campaign I'm about to start - he mentioned something about being busy for about a day, but that was a few days ago. I'm not gonna lose hope or anything, but I'm less hopeful with each day.

PersonMan
2011-05-06, 01:59 PM
So, I'm going along, the idea for yet another plot burning in my mind and I think "well, nobody's posted in this one for a while, I'll check up on it".

I see that someone's posted in the OOC. A moment of confusion follows-I subscribed, didn't I?

I arrive to see...this.

My cakes will burn!

The icing is all hard.

My house!

This doesn't look good.

This is me having a bit of fun with you guys, don't take it really seriously.

But I do find the whole 'didn't PM PM' thing odd.

So, now I'm subscribing, but if something like this happens again, please PM me. It'll save a lot of trouble.

I'll get to responding soon, first I need to consume nutrients to fuel my constant idea-generating.

EDIT: What you saw from the successful spot check is in the spoiler with the "DC 20 Spot check" above it.

TekHed
2011-05-06, 04:10 PM
I got that... a couple holes in the doors..I thought that was the way out so I was taking a closer look...

PersonMan
2011-05-07, 05:36 AM
Well, the door leads into a thin hallway that curves downwards, turning into a sort of sloping staircase after a few hundred feet. It's fairly dark but you can see well in it easily.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-07, 10:34 AM
Well, the door leads into a thin hallway that curves downwards, turning into a sort of sloping staircase after a few hundred feet. It's fairly dark but you can see well in it easily.

Post this in the IC thread.

PersonMan
2011-05-07, 10:56 AM
In response to what? Until someone mentions that they're opening the door, it'd make as much sense as describing the clouds-you can't see it yet, so there's no reason to. I described the hallway so that TekHed would have more to say when he examined it, to speed the game up a bit.

TekHed
2011-05-08, 04:54 AM
Pardon the delay, car shopping is arduous. Back in action now, let's keep her rolling. :smallsmile:

PersonMan
2011-05-08, 04:57 AM
Ah, right. Forgot about that accident you had.

Once the others post, the adventure will begin continue!

EDIT: If there are a bunch of typos, etc. in this post, it's because I'm writing it on a German computer-everything, except for "in" and a few other words, is underlined red, so the browser's automatic spellcheck isn't really useful.

PersonMan
2011-05-19, 07:44 AM
Odin, is Golgatha going to be replying to Morah? If not I'll post(although it'll basically be "nothing happens").

I don't want to wait much longer for fear of the game falling apart.

TekHed
2011-05-19, 03:01 PM
I tried something in there as well PM...

PersonMan
2011-05-20, 12:16 AM
Odin, is Golgatha going to be replying to Morah? If not I'll post(although it'll basically be "nothing happens").

I don't want to wait much longer for fear of the game falling apart.

Unfortunately, poking the symbol with a hot weapon doesn't do anything.

TekHed
2011-05-20, 01:21 AM
Shoot. Well then, I'm stumped. Should we make an Intelligence check to get a hint? If so, here's mine:

[roll0]

and Wisdom, in case that helps: [roll1]

Yeah...probably not so much... :smallyuk:

PersonMan
2011-05-28, 04:55 PM
I get the feeling that we're all waiting on somebody else at the moment.

I'll wait until Monday, then I'll post again if it's necessary. I'd rather not have this die so early.

TekHed
2011-05-28, 06:25 PM
Well I've just had a super slammed week now that I'm back in school. I assure you, if I actually ever need to drop out, I'll have the courtesy of saying so, so no one is left guessing. For now though, yes, I'm waiting for an update or for something about the situation to change. As I said, I'm stumped.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-29, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately, the flight and sickness my signature (hopefully) alluded to while I was gone have turned into a massive time-crunch now that I'm back home, and just as the "back to work after a week away" crunch is finally taken care of, the "social obligations and busy season at work and taking additional classes over the summer" crunch is starting in a much bigger way than I anticipated. I will, regretfully, have to drop out. :smallfrown:

Really, really sorry for the disruption, and I hope it doesn't completely ruin things. I'm still going to lurk through the IC thread as much as I can, but I just can't trust myself to keep to any sort of reliable posting schedule for the next couple of months.

TekHed
2011-05-29, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear that CP.

Also...

The small flame-being that Morah-Lin Soren summons

fixed that for ya...

PersonMan
2011-05-30, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear that CP.

Also...

fixed that for ya...

Yeah, same here. Once you return I'll see if we can bring you back into the fold.

Oh, right, sorry about that.

TekHed
2011-06-05, 02:59 PM
PersonMan you're up...

PersonMan
2011-06-06, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I was waiting for another post until yesterday, but ended up getting tied up into other stuff once I realized that one wasn't coming.

TekHed
2011-06-14, 02:55 AM
Sorry for my absence. I was asked to audition for a music video as well as for a new reality docu-series about very tall people. (I'm 6'7" 280 lbs and currently training to be the world's tallest break dancer and acrobat.) So I've been busy working to meet those deadlines.

If you're curious about the person you've been playing with you can check out some video clips from my audition on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqqUYNCVZmk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFGfUAMyoY&NR=1

Let the posting resume!

P.S. On the map Soren should be further back as he had stepped away from the door before it opened...

PersonMan
2011-06-14, 03:38 AM
His stepping back is why he isn't adjacent to the door-he was touching the wall next to it earlier, after all.

TekHed
2011-06-21, 01:18 PM
Who's turn is it? Am I the one holding things up??? :smallredface:

PersonMan
2011-06-21, 01:32 PM
Who's turn is it? Am I the one holding things up??? :smallredface:

what is this I don't even

Alright, you guys have a surprise round. Post your actions in it, your initiative and your first round actions all at once and I'll order them.[/SPOILER]

See. Read. Obey. Please.

TekHed
2011-06-28, 02:28 AM
Yes Sir! I have obeyed Sir! No need to yell Sir!

PersonMan
2011-06-28, 05:26 AM
I'm sending Odin a PM.

EDIT: Just saw that he's been inactive for about two weeks. If he doesn't come on in a few days I'll post to keep the game moving.

Also, Swift, please post your actions.

TekHed
2011-07-09, 09:02 PM
*poke*poke*

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-09, 11:36 PM
I'm sending Odin a PM.

EDIT: Just saw that he's been inactive for about two weeks. If he doesn't come on in a few days I'll post to keep the game moving.

Also, Swift, please post your actions.

So I won initiative? Okay then.

PersonMan
2011-07-10, 04:40 AM
So I won initiative? Okay then.

Not necessarily. It's just that I asked for all of you to post your actions with your initiative, to make things faster.

TekHed
2011-07-25, 02:10 AM
Do we resuscitate? Or leave for dead?

PersonMan
2011-07-25, 03:20 PM
Well, if we continue without Odin, we're down to two people.

I'll say we put this on hold until C. Platypus gets back, then continue. 3 active people can work, but I'm iffy about trying to keep going with only 2 of the original 4 still here.

TekHed
2011-07-25, 04:29 PM
I'm in another game where the DM specifically believes that 3 players is the ideal number for pbp...

PersonMan
2011-07-26, 02:35 AM
I'll be sending Odin a PM, to see if he's still interested and just forgot or if it's something else.

EDIT: Nevermind, as he's been inactive for about a month or so I'll assume that something's come up and he won't be with us for a while.

TekHed
2011-07-26, 06:24 PM
Time for new blood?

PersonMan
2011-07-27, 02:21 AM
Perhaps. I'll start up another recruitment thread later, though, as I'm not sure about my administrative capacity for the next 5 days. I'll be rather busy, with most of my online time being early morning(with me sort-of tired) or in the evening(with me probably tired). As such, I'll start the thread on August 1st or 2nd.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-05, 08:23 PM
So, recruitment thread time?

PersonMan
2011-08-06, 04:26 AM
Yes. Soon. Soon meaning in about 10 minutes, in this case.

EDIT: Well, we appear to have a problem. I saved the fluff from the original recruitment, but not the 16. Most of it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't remember how HP and ability scores were generated. Do either of you? I think there was a roll-or-PB option, 4d6b3 being the roll, but I don't know what the PB value was. Your guys' stats are worth between 36 and 43 points, apart from Morah-Lin, who only has 27, so I'm thinking of setting the value at 36.

Additionally, as we'll be bringing in new people, would you guys want to:

1. Restart from the room, with the new people there.
2. Restart in a slightly different scenario(i.e. different room, different stuff on the dead guys, different stuff beyond it, etc.)
3. Other(explanation would be great here)

EDIT: The new recruitment thread is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11580572#post11580572)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-06, 11:48 AM
EDIT: Well, we appear to have a problem. I saved the fluff from the original recruitment, but not the 16. Most of it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't remember how HP and ability scores were generated. Do either of you? I think there was a roll-or-PB option, 4d6b3 being the roll, but I don't know what the PB value was. Your guys' stats are worth between 36 and 43 points, apart from Morah-Lin, who only has 27, so I'm thinking of setting the value at 36.

Additionally, as we'll be bringing in new people, would you guys want to:

1. Restart from the room, with the new people there.
2. Restart in a slightly different scenario(i.e. different room, different stuff on the dead guys, different stuff beyond it, etc.)
3. Other(explanation would be great here)

EDIT: The new recruitment thread is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11580572#post11580572)

IIRC, it was 32 PB. Now just let me put my pre-racial adjustment stats in the PB calculator...

Alright, it was 34 PB.

Either restart in the same room or a slightly different room.

Can I change my character sheet a bit? I've discovered the Quick trait and want 50 ft base speed.

PersonMan
2011-08-06, 12:18 PM
Alright, go ahead.

If you guys want to make changes, now is the right time to do so.

EDIT: Actually, go ahead and increase your stats by two PB points, I'm using 36 points now.

TekHed
2011-08-10, 04:43 AM
Done.

And my vote is a combination of 1 and 3. First of all, I rather like our loot (Hat of Disguise...yoink!). Second I feel like restarting would further bog us down when we really just need to keep moving forward.

So...I propose we retcon. Keep the scene but just say the old PCs were the new PCs and move on. We are essentially strangers to each other still and we're only in the second room. Is this going to be an extensive crawl style game or will we get back topside for the political intrigue too?. I like character driven stuff the most...pleeeeease give me opportunities to infiltrate and muck up the Erishian occupational establishment...

Yeah was just going over my sheet again and getting reconnected for how much I like my character and his build. :smallsmile:

PersonMan
2011-08-10, 05:44 AM
Well, seeing as you're level two an extensive crawl isn't all that possible. It's up to you when you go up, although if you take a peek in and then leave the place might be gone next time you come around. At the same time, pressing through until you're deep inside an unknown place at low HP, low spells, etc. isn't a good idea either.

Once you finish this fight, there'll be a clue you can take up with you and use to get some leads on this underground thing, if you're interested, but you can always just focus on breaking occupation government stuff if you want.

If you mean in general, well, there'll be areas that could be crawl-like(if you, say, bust into a building, sneak through and grab some stuff, then fight your way out, it'd be crawl-esque, yeah), but I don't have any solid plans for this game yet-I have a few plot ideas, but half the reason I'm asking is to get an idea of what you all want before I start setting things in stone, so to speak.

TekHed
2011-08-10, 07:18 AM
I like a good crawl or combat as much as the next geek, but what really keeps me interested long run is characters and character development (personality, not xp, though that is part of the fun). The ability to have an impact on the setting and change and have our experiences change us. Your setting is compelling in an almost Miyazaki-esque way. Like if Middle-Earth suddenly advanced in time to a Napoleonic era (well maybe not quite that advanced but then magic would render certain avenues of technological exploitation redundant or inefficient). First we have to "come up" between 6th and 10th levels, probably have to cut our teeth being scrappy, but at some point we should start developing reputations and keying off of them. A lot of potential for long term play but like anything we will get out of it what we put into it.

PersonMan
2011-08-10, 08:07 AM
I like a good crawl or combat as much as the next geek, but what really keeps me interested long run is characters and character development (personality, not xp, though that is part of the fun). The ability to have an impact on the setting and change and have our experiences change us. Your setting is compelling in an almost Miyazaki-esque way. Like if Middle-Earth suddenly advanced in time to a Napoleonic era (well maybe not quite that advanced but then magic would render certain avenues of technological exploitation redundant or inefficient). First we have to "come up" between 6th and 10th levels, probably have to cut our teeth being scrappy, but at some point we should start developing reputations and keying off of them. A lot of potential for long term play but like anything we will get out of it what we put into it.

*cough*E6*cough*

Level 6 is the top. After that, it's feats.

As to everything else: Cool, and thanks. I certainly enjoy hearing that I've made a basis for an epic story sort of thing.

TekHed
2011-08-10, 02:06 PM
Yeah I know it's E6 that came out wrong. I was thinking of the feat progression as "levels." Basically: more experience, more tricks (via martial maneuvers for me! :smallcool:)

PersonMan
2011-08-11, 03:58 AM
Well, tomorrow is the deadline for sheet collection in the new recruitment thread. On Saturday I'll pick people and bring them in here and we'll go back to playing.

TekHed
2011-08-11, 02:17 PM
Just checked out the recruitment thread and...Soren is a gnome not a halfling. :smalltongue:

PersonMan
2011-08-11, 02:34 PM
Just checked out the recruitment thread and...Soren is a gnome not a halfling. :smalltongue:

Oh.

Well, they can just see that when they go here. It's not like it's an earth-shattering difference, or anything.

TekHed
2011-08-11, 03:08 PM
On behalf of gnomes everywhere sir, I am offended... :smallwink:

PersonMan
2011-08-13, 03:51 PM
Well, I chose and now I'm going off to sleep.

I'll update/post/figure out what I'll be doing tomorrow tomorrow.

Vladislav
2011-08-13, 06:01 PM
Greetings and well met, fellow adventurers! Petal Lightstrider, Druid-Initiate of the Moonshine Grove bids you hello.

TekHed
2011-08-13, 06:35 PM
Heh. "Druid." Welcome. :smallsmile:

yugi24862
2011-08-14, 12:29 PM
And greeting from Flaven, master of poisons and archery! (and anything else you want done.)

Vladislav
2011-08-14, 10:21 PM
So, DM, do the new guys wait in the wings until combat's over?

PersonMan
2011-08-15, 03:55 AM
Sorry about the lack of updating yesterday, I was busy with an unexpected family outing.

Actually, I think that the current plan is to just retcon the original meeting. I'm thinking that, during the fight, you could play it out as a sort of flashback-esque thing, so we don't slow down the game more or have a weird gap in experience.

I was thinking something like:

Bob attacks the [MONSTER] with his sword.

Actions:
rolls yada yada yada

Flashback:
Bob says "I'm Bob. I have a sword. Look, dead people." In response to John, he says "Not really."

So, you two can pop in and post initiative with your surprise round and 1st round actions, as well as first 'Flashback' post if you like here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196773&page=2)

TekHed
2011-08-17, 04:55 AM
As a heads up, this week and next are pretty full. I'll be away from my computer from Wednesday to Sunday.

TekHed
2011-08-19, 12:32 AM
Your turn Person Man? (Person Man, Person_Man, hit on the head with a frying pan, which is which, it's not important, Person(_)Man. :smalltongue: )

PersonMan
2011-08-19, 09:00 AM
Your turn Person Man? (Person Man, Person_Man, hit on the head with a frying pan, which is which, it's not important, Person(_)Man. :smalltongue: )

I'll update...soon.

I've been tired the past few days, and tried to counteract that with coffee. Problem is, I don't drink coffee normally, so it tasted terrible. I'll spare you the details, but the end result was 1/4 coffee(Cappuchino to be exact), 1/4 milk and 1/2 apple juice. The milk curdled, and now I feel weird.

In an hour or so I'll update. Or sooner.

TekHed
2011-08-19, 12:39 PM
Ok. No worries. Heads up I'm leaving in a minute for a wedding, then my birthday so probably won't be able to post til next week.

TekHed
2011-08-19, 07:15 PM
Erm...natural 1 on a bluff...yeah, no.

Also, what is Fang? Couldn't find description...in fact since you've been retconned in how about descriptions for the newcomers?

Piss poor rolls for Soren... :smallconfused:

Re: Editing in rolls...well we always have Mythweavers for that...much better structure for pbp IMHO...

Also...for mapping, any way we could use Ditzie? http://ditzie.com/

The google doc calendar type format is very jarring to me. :smallsigh:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-19, 08:03 PM

And the way she's going about it implies that I should stop attacking! An orc, stop attacking!

Fang is her animal companion (she traded familiar for ranger's animal companion).

Vladislav
2011-08-19, 08:46 PM
This is a picture of me and Fang (http://old.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Illustration/druid_amazon.jpg). I'm the handsome one.

Petal is a flower-child tree-hugger sorcerer, who prides herself at being close to nature. At some point she apparently took too much pixie dust and decided she's really a druid.

Petal is completely devoted to the Spirit of the Glade, although she's somewhat fuzzy on the exact nature of this being and will be hard-pressed to explain anything about it. Whenever casting a spell or using a special ability, Petal will present its power source as natural and Druidic, for example Animal Devotion will be described as Wild Shape; Grease spell will be called "Sweat of the Earth", Color Spray is "Sylvanus' Radiance", etc. She also claims to be able to speak the Druidic language, although on close inspection the language she speaks is actually Sylvan.

She wears armor, an odd thing for a sorcerer to do, apparently completely oblivious to the adverse effect it has on her spellcasting. Any spell failure will be explained by "losing favor with the Spirit of the Glade", and will inevitably lead to soul-searching, as Petal tries to mend her behavior, atone for former transgressions, imaginary as though they may be, and regain the spirit's favor.

Petal's real name is Mathilda Wornerburt, of the Wornerburts, a respected merchant family. However, she doesn't go by that name anymore ("that person died, but from her ashes, a beautiful flower blossomed") . Her parents are still hoping for their little girl to come to her senses and return home. It'll be a long wait.

She left her hometown with her loyal dog Fang a few months ago, making her way due east on a pilgrimage to an ancient elven forest. There, she believes, the secrets of nature will be truly revealed to her, and she will be one with the Spirit. She takes her pilgrimage slowly, sometimes staying for a while in one place, taking in the local customs, sights and sounds, sometimes allowing herself to be sidetracked by a beautiful waterfall or a mysterious cave. Along the way, she admired the beauty of the Reaching Woods and the majesty of the Sunset Mountains, among other things, having eventually arrived at the city of Hiriklev and joining the resistance.

TekHed
2011-08-19, 09:04 PM
So Fang is some kind of living plant-wolf?

Vladislav
2011-08-19, 09:08 PM
That's just the way his fur is designed. I'm an amature fur stylist.

PersonMan
2011-08-20, 05:05 AM

Hey, if the guy manages to get a 9 or lower on his Sense Motive...

Also...for mapping, any way we could use Ditzie? http://ditzie.com/

We'll see.

EDIT: I've taken a look at it and, compared to the maps I'm currently using, it seems like a lot of work for...well, honestly, the only advantage it seems to have is the texture/look of the squares, and it takes quite a bit longer to make even a simple map(like the corridor you're in). I'll take another look later, but at the moment it doesn't look like it has good prospects.

I might be a bit iffy with the posting for a couple weeks, as I've fairly suddenly gone from 1/2 an hour walks to walking, badminton, swimming, etc. every day and my body has yet to get the whole 'more exercise=more energy' memo, so I won't be at 100% for a while. I should be able to keep up a good schedule, but I'd rather warn and it be fine than not do so and it get bad.

Vladislav
2011-08-24, 01:06 PM
So... are you guys gonna finish off the hapless guard who's too good at Sense Motive for his own good or what?

PersonMan
2011-08-24, 01:50 PM
So... are you guys gonna finish off the hapless guard who's too good at Sense Motive for his own good or what?

I agree. Doing something is definitely a good idea.

TekHed
2011-08-24, 01:50 PM
Busy week. working late. Soon.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-28, 02:47 PM
To herself, Petal wonders why the Spirit of the Glade, in her infinite wisdom, didn't grant her the power of healing. Perhaps she needs to be more staunch in her faith.

Like actually taking levels in druid?

PersonMan
2011-08-29, 01:52 AM
Remember that it was only like 2 in-game minutes ago that you saw that ladder.

TekHed
2011-09-07, 05:50 PM
can everyone see my IC post? It shows up in the thread but for some reason in my subscription list it shows Personmans post to be the last...

PersonMan
2011-09-08, 02:19 AM
Odd. Well, I see it now. I'll reply after school.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-08, 12:50 PM
can everyone see my IC post? It shows up in the thread but for some reason in my subscription list it shows Personmans post to be the last...

There are two invisible post glitches on the forum. The first one only happens when it's the first post of a new page, which is where it says that someone's posted, but the post is inviisible when you go to the thread, though you can see it if you go to new reply and open the topic review below the writing area. The second type is the one you're dealing with, where the post shows up but it doesn't say there's a new post, I think it happens whenever you click submit and the sceen loads to the internal servor error notification.

Vladislav
2011-09-08, 09:02 PM
Petal initiative [roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-08, 09:36 PM
[roll=initiative]1d20+2[roll]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-08, 09:41 PM
Let's try again.

[roll0]

PersonMan
2011-09-09, 11:15 AM
Does that mean I succeeded on my disarm attempt?

Yes, sorry if it was unclear.

TekHed
2011-09-12, 05:09 AM
I've rolled initiative, and disarmed him, so I know we can't be waiting on me...

PersonMan
2011-09-12, 07:39 AM
Need Flaven's init. I'm PMing yugi.

PersonMan
2011-09-13, 12:57 PM
Flaven's up 'cause Soren already did something.

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been playing a lot of LoL lately.

yugi24862
2011-09-14, 12:53 PM
I'm guessing I dont get more IP for this now?

TekHed
2011-09-21, 01:10 AM
So is everybody just unmotivated, too busy, or what?

PersonMan
2011-09-22, 02:14 AM
As yugi hasn't been on for a couple days, I'm going to PM him and, if he hasn't replied by tomorrow, I'll DMPC/NPC/whatever-ify Flaven for a while, to keep things moving.

TekHed
2011-09-29, 09:03 AM
Waitin' on you guys...

Honestly I'm still jazzed about this game but I have serious doubts that anyone else is...

PersonMan if you want to recruit some fresh blood I would be game for that. I like my character too much (again!) to give up so easily...but seeing as you are DM it's kinda up to you if it's worth it for you to continue...

PersonMan
2011-09-29, 09:43 AM
Note to self: Make some sort of reminder for myself if I'm going to do something like that, or I'll forget.

I'll take Flaven's turn once I get back to my main computer.

I haven't really considered it before, but if necessary I'd rather DMPC-ify some party members and run a 1-3 person game rather than continuously re-recruiting.

TekHed
2011-09-29, 09:55 AM
Well...you know I'm dedicated from the Forsaken Frontier...

Vladislav
2011-09-29, 10:08 AM
I'm still here, waiting on my turn...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-29, 11:54 AM
We're all waiting on Yugi. For the second time.

PersonMan
2011-09-29, 01:22 PM
I should've done this earlier. Looks like I'm pretty good with Flaven...

Anyways, I'm sending Yugi a message. If he doesn't reply I'll copy his sheet and DMPC-ify Flaven permanently. Unless one of you feels a deep hatred for DMPCs and would rather I off him ASAP...

TekHed
2011-09-29, 06:14 PM
DMPC is fine by me.

TekHed
2011-10-02, 10:02 AM
Again I'm not sure how invested you were that we take on this dungeon crawl PersonMan.

Speaking for myself (and perhaps why this game has been struggling to sustain interest and attention), is that while the world and the backdrop are very compelling, we have been literally dumped together in the middle of it with little context.

It is my experience that for games like this to thrive we need to have abit more structure around our group..we need a strong cast of NPC contacts and agents, a clear set of goals that our organization wants to accomplish, and some kind of method for getting intel and information on missions/target/persons of interests. If we are going to utilize the cloak and dagger element to the fullest we need to have a better sense of what we are doing. I can pretty much guarantee that we will need a reason or structure to keep our little rag tag band together for longer than it takes to escape.

Any thoughts?

PersonMan
2011-10-02, 01:37 PM
Again I'm not sure how invested you were that we take on this dungeon crawl PersonMan.

-snip-

Any thoughts?

Eh, it's not super important. If you go, you meet a plot hook/NPC. If you don't you meet another.

It may be a result of my inexperience with this sort of situation in a PbP, but this is the...well, the equivalent of an intro level. There are a few different paths to take, all of which lead to NPCs and more groups.

I'll update in a moment. Looking over Flaven's information, there isn't much about his personality, so I'm just going to hope that I don't screw up his character too much.

Afterwords I'll move the info to a GoogleDocs file, so that if Flaven's sheet is deleted I can still have his stats if I need 'em.

EDIT: Well, while looking for a speech color for Flaven I've found that he has yet to actually say anything...

I'll give him Olive for now.

Vladislav
2011-10-07, 11:19 AM
Ok, guys, just make a decision, up or down. Petal & Fang will tag along, I promise.

PersonMan
2011-10-08, 06:45 AM
I had a surprising amount of trouble describing how the ladder goes up into the alley. I've never actually had to do so before, interestingly enough.

I'd say 'the plot thickens', but they plot is only just really starting, so it's not really saying much.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-10, 08:59 PM
If you're waiting on me, Kator's letting Soren talk.

PersonMan
2011-10-11, 12:08 AM
Alright. If vladislav doesn't post by the time I get back on the computer (approx. 7-8 hours from now), I'll have Flaven start blabbing away.

It's a shame that yugi left. This was the first plot-backstory connection I'e built in so far. Oh, well...

TekHed
2011-10-11, 12:36 AM
I did address the stranger IC...did you miss that Person?

Vladislav
2011-10-11, 07:48 AM
I'm just waiting on the stranger's responce, because Petal is too polite to but in...

PersonMan
2011-10-11, 08:53 AM
I did address the stranger IC...did you miss that Person?

Why, yes, yes I did.

Also, a mysterious roll:

[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-11, 04:11 PM
Soren's rather short for a human. Would you say a human with jotunbrud is a hill giant?

TekHed
2011-10-11, 04:43 PM
He is wearing a hat of disguise yo...

Normally he is 4'8", now he appears 5'5"

TekHed
2011-10-12, 12:19 PM
Hey y'all, I have house guests so I'll be slim to none on the posting for the next day or so. Feel free to carry on and I'll catch up Thursday night.

TekHed
2011-10-14, 05:23 AM
... or not so high alert. :smallsigh:

Sense motive: [roll0] That did it...

PersonMan
2011-10-17, 06:45 AM
Sorry for the slow reply, it took a while for a good mental image of the room to get into my head.

PersonMan
2011-10-21, 03:30 PM
Just read over the original recruitment thread.

Not sure why it's still around, actually. Eh, whatever.

Well, there we go. That should move things along a bit. Mysterious old gnome...

EDIT: Hope you guys don't mind the increased pacing. It's probably the medium, but I'm always anxious about how well I'm doing when I DM PbPs.

TekHed
2011-10-26, 05:43 AM
So far so good PM... :smallsmile:

TekHed
2011-10-31, 11:00 PM
I still feel like I'm mostly in a solo game here...if we could get more PC interaction that would be great... :smallsmile:

PersonMan, I am guessing that the crystals are energy assault: acid (least) and returning (least)...if you could confirm on the acid at least then I'll make a post with him testing it and discovering such. Next he will test the armor crystals. That leaves us with the bracers and potions to identify (just to be sure).

How should I distribute the treasure among the party? Does anyone else have a hankering for any of this stuff? I'd probably have Soren put the Returning Crystal on his Kusarigama, as the stiletto is already in a quick draw sheathe...

PersonMan
2011-11-01, 01:39 AM
PersonMan, I am guessing that the crystals are energy assault: acid (least) and returning (least)...if you could confirm on the acid at least then I'll make a post with him testing it and discovering such. Next he will test the armor crystals. That leaves us with the bracers and potions to identify (just to be sure).

You're correct on both counts.

TekHed
2011-11-01, 01:48 AM
So Soren has snagged a hat of disguise and a least crystal of return.

Still left to divide:

-Least crystal of energy assault (acid)
-Partially used Brooch of Shielding (unsure how many more points of magic missile damage it will absorb, though if we really want to know we could pay to identify...)
-2 unidentified armor crystals (about to be tested)
Glass Bracer with Lightning Bolts (about to be identified)
1 potion shield symbol (Shield/Protection, simple enough)
2 potions Hand over eyes symbol (nebulous but maybe invisibility?)
1 two hands symbol (healing likely)

Edit: @ PersonMan...I edited my last post to include the specific identify requests (2 items, so it would be nice to split the 200 between the PC group), as well as some more character interaction with Mystic and volunteering for the next quest...

TekHed
2011-11-04, 10:18 PM
...crickets?

PersonMan
2011-11-06, 01:49 PM
I was planning on posting before going, but was surprisingly busy.

I was just in trains for 8 hours. Tomorrow I should be able to write something, though.

TekHed
2011-11-06, 03:14 PM
I know you're here Person, but where are my fellow players?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-06, 04:25 PM
I think PersonMan's waiting on Vladislav.

TekHed
2011-11-06, 07:37 PM
On a related note, we PersonMan should update the roster on the first post. I wasn't satisfied with my character's name and fiddled with it a few times finally deciding on Soren St. Croix, please make note. Of course, he has yet to use this name in character yet. He did admit to you all that he is not Damian Vendergest.

PersonMan
2011-11-07, 04:23 PM
OP is updated.

IC post is under construction. It's getting late, though, and I'm technically only on to download a few pieces of music, so I won't be able to finish it today. Tomorrow, though, I should be less busy.

TekHed
2011-11-07, 05:34 PM
You forgot to add Jade Dragon to the Matrix PM...

PersonMan
2011-11-08, 11:46 AM
Very short post today, but it's better than none.

Vladislav
2011-11-15, 11:03 AM
due to unforseen circumstances , can't post for about a week. NPC me if needed

PersonMan
2011-11-17, 12:13 PM
I'll do so.

And so the cast grows ever smaller...

EDIT: Descriptions of crystals pending when I get to my books. And get more time.

TekHed
2011-11-18, 07:28 AM
Is the one crystal a restful crystal? May need to identify the other one, since Armor Crystals can do many things that wouldn't be obvious.

PersonMan
2011-11-19, 02:14 PM
Yes, 'tis a crystal that rests a lot.

I was kind of waiting on Swiftmon Jade Dragon, but since he's been on I'll assume he(well, Kator) has nothing to say at the moment.

Away we go, then.

TekHed
2011-11-19, 07:07 PM
Yay!

Someone else can have the restful crystal, as Soren's light armor is already pretty comfy. :smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 06:02 PM
Knock knock. Were you expecting me to do something?

TekHed
2011-11-27, 07:35 PM
Probably just the typical holiday slowdown...

PersonMan
2011-11-28, 04:41 AM
Sort of. I have a few new projects to do, so my posting will be slowed by a bit. Unfortunately, my DM posts will suffer the most, as I've found that my ability/motivation to write good posts has declined a bit, and it's easier to post as a player than as a DM.

Typing this on a weird German keyboard apparently built to maximize typos, so if I made some that I didn't find, you know why.

TekHed
2011-12-07, 05:01 PM
Regarding our Elf Cave of Death map...

Is Golgotha adjacent to the creature, or is that difficult terrain...they are the same color. Also might be good to designate a different color for "spell effect." Otherwise the map is growing on me (just a bit).

Initiative: [roll0]

PersonMan
2011-12-08, 01:11 AM
Actually, Golgatha is one shade darker.

I just forgot to include him on the map...

I think that the current spell effect as border thing works well enough, but we'll see once more spells are slung.

I'll see about changing some colors, I'm a bit rushed at the moment (but if I don't reply I'll forget to and end up doing so next time someone posts in the OOC...).

TekHed
2011-12-10, 05:00 AM
*cough*players*cough*

Why are some games plagued with player non-involvement? I hate always being the most dedicated enthusiastic one....

PersonMan
2011-12-10, 07:06 AM
Perhaps they were waiting for me to finish a translation project that was stressing me before posting.

If so, thanks guys, but I'm done now, you can post.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-12, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm still here. Parents took my iPad away in an attempt to do my homework (but whenever they tell me to, that basically assures that I won't for the entire day, plus I need the Internet to do my homework), and the damn school computer doesn't support the map, so while I can see it I can't edit it.

PersonMan
2011-12-13, 08:27 AM
Parents took my iPad away in an attempt to do my homework (but whenever they tell me to, that basically assures that I won't for the entire day, plus I need the Internet to do my homework), and the damn school computer doesn't support the map, so while I can see it I can't edit it.

wat

Oh, and I don't think you can edit the map.

I'll be rolling init and taking NPC (including Petal, too, now...) actions where applicable now.

Now, to keep up the pattern, 2 OOC replies starting the day after tomorrow. (Last 3 posts: 8-10-10-12)

EDIT: I think I know what you meant, though.

If things keep going like this...well, I'm imagining a future where the OP has about 30 entries, all but about 3 or so crossed out with 'MIA' and similar. I mean, the game's alive, and it's better to shed players than have the whole thing go down, but we've got a pretty low average post expectancy for people ('oh, yeah, if you're picked don't be mad if people don't get to know you much, the players from the last 10 recruitment threads only lasted a few pages').

EDIT 2: You know, now that I know you use an iPad your short posts make more sense(referring to the fact that, in the last scene, you said very little, as well as in general).

EDIT 3: No init from Soren yet, so I'm just going to roll his, too, to get us moving. Heck, I'll roll Kator's, too. I'm on a roll here. Pun intended.

Jade, do you want me to play Kator for this fight if you can't get on?

TekHed
2011-12-13, 09:41 AM
Um...I did roll initiative...look up a few posts. Interestingly I got the same result you did...

Unfortunately I must sleep now so I'll have to take my action tomorrow...

PersonMan
2011-12-15, 10:45 AM
Um...I did roll initiative...look up a few posts. Interestingly I got the same result you did...

Ah. I only looked at your last one.

Anyways, since he hasn't responded to my last question, I'll give Jade about a day to post with Kator or say something before moving him.

PersonMan
2011-12-15, 10:53 AM

Ah. I only looked at your last one.

Anyways, since he hasn't responded to my last question, I'll give Jade about a day to post with Kator or say something before moving him.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-15, 02:27 PM
Welll, my internet time is now extremely irregular, since I have less access to the school computers now.

Edit: I'll still try to get a post in IC.

TekHed
2011-12-15, 05:47 PM
Did you include the +4 to attack for Serris from Leading the Attack Person? Everyone else...remember to add +4 to your attacks until my next turn. This means you Jade! We really need to read each others' crunch-spoilers for this kind of thing.

PersonMan
2011-12-16, 08:26 AM
Did you include the +4 to attack for Serris from Leading the Attack Person? Everyone else...remember to add +4 to your attacks until my next turn. This means you Jade! We really need to read each others' crunch-spoilers for this kind of thing.

I have the same problem whenever I play bards or other bonus-giving characters.

TekHed
2011-12-16, 06:15 PM
Man! Tome of Battle is really fun! Makes playing fighter types tactical and interesting, and works FANTASTIC in an E6 setting.

I want this game and Soren to have a long career!

Person, you know how tenacious I am...even if it ended up a solo game I'd be down to carry on. :smallsmile:

New blood would be great though. Let's say in the recruitment thread that only motivated and dedicated posters need apply.

PersonMan
2011-12-16, 07:07 PM
New blood would be great though. Let's say in the recruitment thread that only motivated and dedicated posters need apply.

Eh. I tried that before. It didn't really work out. You get a good start, but eventually the same problems kick in, unless you have good luck. (This is the point where I consider that, even with slightly different player choices, this game would be dead and gone by now, and is almost 8 months old.)

Honestly, the best recipe for a super-long-term game would be invites. My long-term group would be: You, Autopsibiofeeder, Me, and that other guy in the Forsaken Frontier. Essentially a guaranteed years-long run unless weirdness happens.

Unfortunately, I'm at my maximum limit of games DMed and don't want any of my active ones to die...

TekHed
2011-12-16, 10:18 PM
So then invite those guys to join us here!

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-17, 07:16 AM
Hello!

It happens to be so that a week ago I was browsing the recruitment thread to find a nice game but got disheartened by the chaos over there. And now I get a pm by PersonMan (thanks! :smallsmile:).

I would for sure like to join this game. I began reading through the background in the first post and then decided it would be good to ask around here first, so I can mull over a character while reading.

Is it still so that there is a warrior and a warrior/sneak in the team and that some magical support would be appreciated?
I am also getting the feel that a character with more practical secondary side is handy (i.e. a druid or cloistered cleric with skill giving domains over a standard cleric, or a wizard that knows how to wield a bow), is that right?

I haven't played E6 before, but I think I could enjoy that. I have some time today to read the background thoroughly and ponder on a character. I do prefer to not read up on the IC part: my character would not have experienced it anyway and I tend to get confused to read so much story arc in one go. However, it would be good to know where the party currently is at, so I get an idea of where I fit in.

Also, christmas time is coming up. While that in itself does not mean much to me, it does mean I fly back home and do a grand tour of The Netherlands visiting people, so between 24 Dec and 2 Jan there won't be much activity from my side.

Anyway, looking forward! *starts reading and building*

TekHed
2011-12-17, 07:36 AM
Yeah we have an orc warrior and an uber-monk (for E6 anyways). We *had* a Sorcerer (deluded to be a Druid). An actual druid is always a solid choice, since extra wildshape will be easy to come by when we enter "Feat-Leveling."

Clerics are another solid choice. Both of those are great because they are force multipliers, able to wade into melee and cast spells including buffing the rest of us, making the whole party a nice formidable phalanx. Also, both can heal, when needed. We also don't have a skillmonkey type as I am focusing my monk more on combat and stealth.

Ultimately though I'd say...play a character who inspires you. We have a great setting to explore. :smallsmile:

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-17, 09:00 AM
I have settled on a divine caster. That's about as far as I am. I have another question, though: am I right in assuming that we will be facing mostly, if not exclusively, humanoid opponents?

I am currently torn between a cleric-type that uses knowledge devotion to wade in melee himself or a druid type that will depend on an animal companion for the bashing and focus highly on spellcasting (buffing/debuffing).

PersonMan
2011-12-17, 10:52 AM
I have settled on a divine caster. That's about as far as I am. I have another question, though: am I right in assuming that we will be facing mostly, if not exclusively, humanoid opponents?

It depends on your choices in game. There will be a time where you can choose between focusing on orcs/elves or... non-orcish and non-elven (and non-humanoid, as in the creature type) enemies.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-17, 12:00 PM
So, I narrowed it down to druid and decided not to take chances, but go for 36 point buy. I have been looking into feats and just wanted to run some ideas by you, PersonMan.

I intend to take Natural bond. In the beginning it will just signify how much I love my pet, but at level 4 I would like to use it to offset the -3 penalty I get to my druid level for choosing a better pet. Is this application of the feat ok for you? I figured it would be a way to keep the pet up to par in the longer run.

I noticed the other payers have two flaws, so I will make use of that as well. I am currently eyeing human as race. The feat progression right now is the following, but that might change as I read/think a bit more:

1-Spell focus conjuration
h-Natural bond
f-Augment summoning
f-Extend spell
3-Sculpt spell
6-Natural spell

6+ ideas-Extra wild shape, Metamagic school focus, Cloudy conjuration, Greater spell focus, (Greater) Spell penetration

Let me know if some of these ideas rub you the wrong way, PersonMan. Right now I need to figure out whether there are actually enough nice conjurations around for druids to build on it so heavily, I might go for Tra or Evo and dump the augmented summoning.

PersonMan
2011-12-17, 01:28 PM
Looks good to me.

I have some ideas for your introduction, which I've PMed to you, but until I know the fluff I can't really prepare anything more specific.

TekHed
2011-12-17, 06:11 PM
So far we have fought 4 monsters and a couple of guards. Seems like some kind of monster infestation in the sewers, though we're not sure what they are yet.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-17, 07:57 PM
Allright, I have progressed. I am pretty much done, but I still need to fill in a few spells. We have a guest sleeping right now on the room where my Spell Compendium is, so I will be adding to and changing the spells studied section. I wrote a background, but it may be that it is unfitting for the world. Let me know, and I will change it.

-I am not sure how much XP I have currently.
-I went for 36 point buy: (base/age/racial [points spent])
Strength 9/-1/-[1] 8
Dexterity 13/-1/-[5] 12
Constitution 15/-1/-[8] 14
Intelligence 13/+1/-[5] 14
Wisdom 18/+1/+2[16] 21
Charisma 9/+1/+2[1] 12
-I went for a character wealth of 900 gp
-How do you deal with animal companions, PersonMan? Just a standard animal plus whatever the druid gives, an animal with standard array (25 pt buy)? Does she get feats, skills, ability score adjustments from the AC HD, or not? Am I allowed to change the base feats the animal has (e.g. change weapon focus bite to improved toughness, should I want that)? Just asking because I have experienced several approaches by DM's.

Let me present to you: Danid, the druid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=354027).

Background
Danid had been a simple farmer for most of his life. Simple in his own views, but fellow farmers would seek him out occasionally for his knowledge of crops, cattle and soils as well as his ability to predict the weather. He never paid much attention to his talents until forced by circumstances.

The Erish expansion and reclamation drift had reach his home and lands. Peaceful as his nature is, he decided not to resist and give up his land, leaving for the forests. At this point his talents spoke to him and allowed him to survive on his own in the wild. After months of learning and surviving, a most peculiar event took place.

He had managed to trap a rabbit and had stored it. It had happened before that a fox, wolf or even a bear came by to claim the prize and he had always let them. This time, however, he was particularly strained. As the wolf was sniffing the rabbit Danid decided to approach the animal. "Please, wolfie...I need this" he muttered as he sneaked closer. Much to his surprise the wolf eyed him and spoke: "We can share? You have fed my cubs before". Lord knows how, but he could speak to the animal!

In the next weeks his bond with the wolf strengthened. She would visit him at times and they would have very short conversations. Danid had learned by now that he could create water when he really needed it and realized he had a special potential.

The wolf, Danid named her 'Pookie', learned about what happened to Danid and was, being a predator, a lot more agressive towards the Erish forces. While Danid was too kind-hearted to bear much ill will, Pookie in the end managed to convince him that he should use his talents to resist the agressors.

Nowadays, Danid has joined and left several resistance groups. And he is not alone: Pookie joins him. She defends him with a passion that is only found in nature and urges him to exploit and expand his druidic magical prowess.

Personality
Danid is an extremely kind-hearted man. He has a passion for beings under oppression and is happy to provide friends with advice, food and magic. His emotional metabolism is slow: he is tough to anger, but also slow to forget. This does not mean, however, that he is naive: he has the ability to analyse situations swiftly and comes up with balanced judgements.

Danid has a very special bloodline. However, he sees himself as human. As a matter of fact: he does nt know about his bloodline. The only apparent quality, next to his mildly exotic appearance (his silvery gray hair and oddly symmetrical features) that gives it away is the fact that he innately speaks Celestial. However, he has never had a conversation in that language. Sometimes, when annoyed or excited, he will blurt out short phrases in the ancient tongue, as much to his own surprise as to that of the witnesses.

Enemies
Danid opposes the Erish, of course, but also those that do not respect nature. He does, however, feel that human(oid)s are allowed to hunt and use nature in a sustainable fashion. His fairly long life as a farmer makes him less alien to society than the typical druid.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-17, 09:58 PM
Great, whenever I think of your druid's animal companion, I'll think of Garfield's stuffed teddy bear Pookie. :smalltongue:

And how did he get gray hair at only forty?

Anyway, methinks we just faced a called creature. Earth elemental. Now, was it a Planar Ally, Planar Binding, SNA, or SM? If it is a called creature, would I recognize the magic from being used by magic-users sometimes, or do the army's mages and priests more use BFC and damage, plus healing for the priests?

PersonMan
2011-12-17, 11:32 PM
Anyway, methinks we just faced a called creature. Earth elemental. Now, was it a Planar Ally, Planar Binding, SNA, or SM? If it is a called creature, would I recognize the magic from being used by magic-users sometimes, or do the army's mages and priests more use BFC and damage, plus healing for the priests?

Unless you see it being summoned, there's very little one can do to identify whether or not a creature is 'real' or not, unless you have magic-detecting magic of some sort.

EDIT: Currently 5 AM, I'll get to further questions after sleep.

TekHed
2011-12-17, 11:58 PM
Classic Wolf Companion...what happened to her cubs? All of these wolves seem to ignore being in packs in favor of wandering around with humans, lol!

Maybe it was PMs description but I got the impression that the thing was not just an ordinary Earth Elemental. Something to do with the red mist/energy around it.

PersonMan
2011-12-18, 03:26 AM
-How do you deal with animal companions, PersonMan? Just a standard animal plus whatever the druid gives, an animal with standard array (25 pt buy)? Does she get feats, skills, ability score adjustments from the AC HD, or not? Am I allowed to change the base feats the animal has (e.g. change weapon focus bite to improved toughness, should I want that)? Just asking because I have experienced several approaches by DM's.

Let me present to you: Danid, the druid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=354027).

Standard animal + druid bonuses. Yes. If you want to, you can.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-18, 05:03 PM
Allright, I finished the sheet. Added some spells. I am looking forward to the game. Can anyone provide me with a link?

Great, whenever I think of your druid's animal companion, I'll think of Garfield's stuffed teddy bear Pookie. :smalltongue:

And how did he get gray hair at only forty?

Sorry about that (if it actually annoys you I can change it). He has gray hair at 40 because of his ancestry (lesser aasimar)...I always like silver as a very celestial color. Also, I know guys that were gray before 40...it happens and I am sad to admit that it is even happening to me :smalleek:.

Classic Wolf Companion...what happened to her cubs? All of these wolves seem to ignore being in packs in favor of wandering around with humans, lol!

Well, I didn't describe that part because it was about Danid. If I wrote about the wolf you would have wondered why that man was living in the forest :smallsmile:. But the cubs reached adulthood in the months Danid was in the forest. Being males, they left the pack. Sadly, their dad had died a year ago. Pookie had decided to raise her male cubs to adulthood and then go and find a new unrelated mate. She actually did, but the mate is more of a soulmate. How about that? :smallsmile:

Standard animal + druid bonuses. Yes. If you want to, you can.

Thanks. I decided to do no such thing, but it's good to know before I start thinking about a future, more stronger, companion.

TekHed
2011-12-18, 05:22 PM
In E6 every Druid has a wolf or a flesh raker, Lol...sure you don't want a Dino? :smalltongue:

Linky: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12390245#post12390245

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-18, 07:28 PM
In E6 every Druid has a wolf or a flesh raker, Lol...sure you don't want a Dino? :smalltongue:

You mean it's different in regular?

Oh right, sometimes they get those high level companions or one of them dire birds (I want to play a halfling or whisper gnome druid with a dire eagle/hawk sometime).

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-19, 03:00 AM
Well, there's not much options. I would have expected all the druids to have a riding dog (strictly better than wolf) and then one of them fleshrakers at lvl 4. But seriously: a camel, horse or donkey... that seems a tad silly to me.

At level 4 I think I am going to go for a black panther :smallsmile:.

Thanks for the link.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-20, 02:38 PM
Ah! A bard.

Does the Erish army have bards?

TekHed
2011-12-20, 08:03 PM
Aha! I love Bards. I have a 10-level melee Bard build I'm playing in a DnD fantasy western game (in my sig below) who just simply rocks. Words of Creation ftw!

PersonMan
2011-12-21, 02:09 AM
Don't worry about bringing him up to date, I've supplied him with the information he has at this point via PM.

Is it just me, or does a lot of the fairly plot-important stuff happening in this game see to revolve around using people who've been NPC'd or recruited due to old players leaving to deliver information/gain trust? I wonder what I'll do when all the NPCs in the party are gone (because I really want to trim it down. A party of 6ish is unwieldy and will never level).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-21, 01:06 PM
Don't worry about bringing him up to date, I've supplied him with the information he has at this point via PM.

Is it just me, or does a lot of the fairly plot-important stuff happening in this game see to revolve around using people who've been NPC'd or recruited due to old players leaving to deliver information/gain trust? I wonder what I'll do when all the NPCs in the party are gone (because I really want to trim it down. A party of 6ish is unwieldy and will never level).

Well maybe if you answered my question about the army and any magic-using wardrummers/chanters/okay-it's-a-bard, I could say something about that...

PersonMan
2011-12-21, 02:38 PM
Well maybe if you answered my question about the army and any magic-using wardrummers/chanters/okay-it's-a-bard, I could say something about that...

Well, it's...hmm. The army has a few of those, but not a lot. It's a pretty rare talent (or skill, whatever the case may be).

Sorry about that.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-21, 03:18 PM
Just a little note to all my pbp-groups: I will fly to the Netherlands on 24.12 and will return 02.01. I will be bringing a laptop, but my posting will be irregular at best.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-22, 05:43 PM
That's not much information on the bards.

I'm going to need a lot of info on the Erish army, at least the orc part. I was probably at least a lieutenant equivalent.

Also, I'm going to my grandparents' for Christmas break, be gone for nine days and no Internet. I thought Christmas break was supposed to be a good thing. :smallannoyed:

PersonMan
2011-12-22, 07:15 PM
That's not much information on the bards.

I'm going to need a lot of info on the Erish army, at least the orc part. I was probably at least a lieutenant equivalent.

Also, I'm going to my grandparents' for Christmas break, be gone for nine days and no Internet. I thought Christmas break was supposed to be a good thing. :smallannoyed:

Well, there's not much to say in general. There's little to no formal organization for them, as it's too rare to make them into their own forces or make them part of a standard unit. They normally become subcommanders in small groups, often unofficially holding significant sway in the decisions of a force but holding only a fairly low rank. You've never actually met one, only heard some stories about how unit XY has a warchanter with tons of influence and the like.

Heh. Well, I hope you can find something to do there - I've always found it difficult to find things to do with my grandparents.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-22, 11:18 PM
Well, there's not much to say in general. There's little to no formal organization for them, as it's too rare to make them into their own forces or make them part of a standard unit. They normally become subcommanders in small groups, often unofficially holding significant sway in the decisions of a force but holding only a fairly low rank. You've never actually met one, only heard some stories about how unit XY has a warchanter with tons of influence and the like.

Heh. Well, I hope you can find something to do there - I've always found it difficult to find things to do with my grandparents.

I got a novel at Barnes&Noble, and I got a couple word find books from my other grandparents who live in Minnesota.

So what would the names of units be? Named after animals (like the Bulls), or just a number, or a number and title (like the 5th Legion), or a special title (like the Bronze Tigers)?

Anyway, I gotta get to bed in a couple minutes, then I got to get up at 3:45 and go to the train station.

PersonMan
2011-12-23, 07:07 AM
So what would the names of units be? Named after animals (like the Bulls), or just a number, or a number and title (like the 5th Legion), or a special title (like the Bronze Tigers)?

Anyway, I gotta get to bed in a couple minutes, then I got to get up at 3:45 and go to the train station.

Well, it varies depending on the type of unit. There are 5 main armies, Army 1, Army 2, etc. they're broken into numbered groups, which often have names. Special units have titles, but unofficial titles adorn most units, usually based on whatever they're achieved so far (Iron Trees defended really well, Blazing Moose moved through a forest really fast, etc.)

Dark and early then, eh? Well, I wish you luck (even though you'll probably read this after you get back).

PersonMan
2011-12-25, 03:48 AM
So many NPCs/DMPCs to play. Don't expect Golgatha or Petal to be saying much of anything, ever. Flaven will be the silent type who only speaks up when I think I can use him to move the plot.

I can't wait until they're dead/stuffed in the fridge.

TekHed
2011-12-25, 06:25 AM
Soren didn't change his form...he put the hat back on before leaving Mystic's...

PersonMan
2011-12-25, 10:20 AM
Ah. Oops. I'll go change that, then.

TekHed
2012-01-06, 08:20 PM
I think we are ready for you to advance the scene Person...

PersonMan
2012-01-11, 03:44 PM
I was just checking back here, actually, due to the lack of activity.

Oh, wait, that was four days ago. I guess my subscription didn't feel like getting out of bed that day.

I'll have something ready soon. Which in this case means tomorrow, because I have school in the morning.

PersonMan
2012-01-12, 09:36 AM
Finally have those NPC'd people off of my back. Really, it's so annoying to run all of them in combat or social situations that I'm glad to have them gone. Now they're on a bus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PutOnABus) somewhere else and I don't have to deal with them.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-12, 01:24 PM
You still have to thing about what they're doing. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-13, 01:50 PM
It's kinda hard to tell where you came from when you say "around the corner".

PersonMan
2012-01-13, 03:25 PM
Here is the map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0)

Basically, you're all in a group talking ("here" "here", etc.) and he came from around the corner, where you fought the guards before going up into the city.

TekHed
2012-01-15, 04:17 AM
Shame on you for posting a hyperlink to tvtropes PersonMan...I managed to click away after only 30 seconds, thank god.

I added a bit in there so we can bring back the interesting NPCs later for social stuff, provided you don't kill them off... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RocksFallEveryoneDies) :smalltongue:

Petal definitely had some interesting rp potential.

PersonMan
2012-01-15, 05:06 AM
Something I've been curious about. How do you sheathe a glaive? It's a polearm, so wouldn't it be really weird to just have a blade covering on the front (and insane to have a 'normal' sheath') ?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-15, 11:46 AM
Something I've been curious about. How do you sheathe a glaive? It's a polearm, so wouldn't it be really weird to just have a blade covering on the front (and insane to have a 'normal' sheath') ?

...Strap with a long tube? Historically, polearms and spears were always held. Even the peltasts held their javelins in the shield hand.

TekHed
2012-01-15, 01:28 PM
Sometimes you can have a sheathe (or more accurately, blade cover) made of leather to protect the blade.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-18, 07:06 PM
Alright, so not counting the door and the way Flaven went, there's two ways, right? Or does one of them lead back to Mystic and Seriss's place?

PersonMan
2012-01-19, 02:41 AM
Three ways. One goes further down, it's the area where the rock-thing popped up and the blood trail goes. One goes back to the game start spawn point room you fell into. One goes to the ladder that goes back up.

TekHed
2012-01-19, 03:41 AM
Okay. Seriously. Where does this arrow in the knee meme come from?

PersonMan
2012-01-19, 02:18 PM
From Skyrim. One of the guard dialogs is "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee".

TekHed
2012-01-19, 02:26 PM
Ah Skyrim...I was excited when I heard about it, but when it came out and I looked into it, I just found it boring...

PersonMan
2012-01-20, 01:15 AM
Ah Skyrim...I was excited when I heard about it, but when it came out and I looked into it, I just found it boring...

All I know (from watching my uncle play it) is that there's this mage academy and you can wander around the map. Oh, and you steal everything they give you in your room. Wait, not steal, "take".

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-20, 09:19 AM
All I know (from watching my uncle play it) is that there's this mage academy and you can wander around the map. Oh, and you steal everything they give you in your room. Wait, not steal, "take".

Sounds like Morrowind. Except ai joined the fighter's guild. :smalltongue:

Basically, you steal everything not guarded. I got quite a bit of ebony (a black metal in the Elder Scrolls world) from the ebony mine.

TekHed
2012-01-21, 06:36 PM
It's still your turn to update the IC to the next relevant scene PM...

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-21, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure which way we should go, heck, I'm not sure which way the others went...

I used to know which way to go. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

TekHed
2012-01-21, 07:50 PM
I used to take an arrow to the knee, but then I stopped following silly internet memes...

Let's see where the blood goes.

PersonMan
2012-01-22, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure which way we should go, heck, I'm not sure which way the others went...

I used to know which way to go. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

They went around, to the area Danid came from.

TekHed
2012-01-27, 06:51 AM
So, what's next?

PersonMan
2012-01-27, 07:45 AM
Me explaining what you see when you go down the tunnel (you are going down the tunnel, right?) and being happy that I have a 4-day weekend because I haven't been sleeping well.

EDIT: This...is going to take longer than I thought. Firefox just decided to crash on me. Right before I posted, as opposed to waiting until after.

EDIT 2: Posted. It's kinda gruesome, but this is a pretty big step towards one of the potential plot branches of the game. You're at an important crossroads here.

TekHed
2012-01-30, 04:44 AM
Gruesome indeed...though what does it all mean???

PersonMan
2012-01-30, 05:27 AM
Gruesome indeed...though what does it all mean???

That you should post Oh, wait, you're probably doing that now.

I was honestly surprised when Jade beat you to the punch with the first reply there. You'll have to challenge him to a duel to regain your honor...

TekHed
2012-01-30, 03:38 PM
HAd a few busy/distracted days. The tab with the IC thread was open for 3 days straight but I couldn't muster the mood or motivation to post. Happens to me sometimes.

So I don't have to hunt through hundreds of post, could I get a quick refresher on the dead mage? He is or was a gnome necromancer or something?

PersonMan
2012-01-31, 02:52 AM
HAd a few busy/distracted days. The tab with the IC thread was open for 3 days straight but I couldn't muster the mood or motivation to post. Happens to me sometimes.

So I don't have to hunt through hundreds of post, could I get a quick refresher on the dead mage? He is or was a gnome necromancer or something?

Same happens to me, actually.

I actually had to hunt through the thread to find out when I told you guys about him. I was all 'egads!' when I saw Jade's post and then I looked through the IC thread to find when I'd actually told you guys about the dead mage.

Here's the post:

Mystic stops for a moment, his eyes narrowing in concentration before he continues, slowly at first, but then with increasing confidence. I heard that there was a mage of the city many years ago who discovered a method for spellcasters to become undead after their death. He was ambushed and killed by several Erishian mages during the war, and it was reported by his apprentice that he would rise as an undead to continue to fight. This didn't happen, though, and the apprentice was executed shortly before the war ended. Perhaps there is truth to what he said, and the old mage has come back from his grave...That would explain why the Wolfshadows were there, he could be a powerful ally of the resistance if he is still in possession of his arcane talents.

TekHed
2012-01-31, 04:59 AM
or...someone playing on the legend to make them think he had returned...

TekHed
2012-02-08, 11:15 PM
As a heads up, I am leaving late tonight on a business trip and will be gone for a week without much internet access as I don't yet have a laptop.

Also...for whatever reason, even though I was the last to post, my subscription list does not show that...so if you are waiting on me go check the thread...strange forum glitch.

PersonMan
2012-02-09, 10:30 AM
Posted, but it's invisible, too.

That's a lot of posts, TekHed.

TekHed
2012-02-09, 05:11 PM
I see your post.

Scratch that...it SAYS you just posted but clicking through to the last post doesn't show it...just my last post! You will probably have to delete it and repost.

Yeah forum was is being super glitchy on me us...

OK I'm out for reals now!

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-09, 06:59 PM
I see your post.

Scratch that...it SAYS you just posted but clicking through to the last post doesn't show it...just my last post! You will probably have to delete it and repost.

Yeah forum was is being super glitchy on me us...

OK I'm out for reals now!

Actually, you can hit "post reply" and scroll down, then click the little downward arrow next to "topic review" if it's not already showing. That lets you see it.

Edit: I posted IC, so now you can see it anyway. Along with the copies of your post.

TekHed
2012-02-22, 03:36 PM
So then are the mirroring grasps just your fluff to describe sorcery in your setting or am I still missing something?